Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How are GOP leaders getting away with saying refugees aren't being vetted and that we need to enact stronger measures to keep out terrorists? Are they betting on people literally not knowing anything about the refugee resettlement process (ie that it is already the most stringently vetted migration process we have) and will not even do the most basic of fact-checking? :psyduck:

If I'm a journalist, and I ask North Carolina Governor McCheese why he bothers posturing against Syrian refugees when he is no doubt aware that any and all of them are heavily vetted, only 2% are males of fighting age, and that we've only received around 100 statewide in the last 3 or 4 years, that's a hard question, and not a complimentary one. He would never come back and he could just go to another program that asks him what are his plans over Christmas. Ratings go down and hardball questions are turned away.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Y'all keep telling me Rubio is supposed to be the sane, moderate Republican with crossover appeal for young people and Democrats.

"Source posted:

“We are biblically ordered not to be afraid,” Rubio said. “You know why? Because God is telling us that no matter what happens, ‘It is part of my plan. I will give you the strength to endure it whether you like it or not.'”

Rubio noted that he had previously been asked why God would allow terrorist attacks to happen.

“Where was God on 9/11? Where was God in Paris?” he recalled being asked.

“I said, ‘where God always is — on the throne in Heaven,'” he explained. “The question was how could God allow these bad things to happen? It always challenges us to understand that God’s ways are not our ways. What we may interpret as bad, and most certainly is in the case of Paris or 9/11, even that is part of a broader plan for the universe and for our lives that we are just not going to know the answer to. God’s ways are not our ways.”

Will evangelicals eat this poo poo up or does the theological problem of evil not apply to 9/11 et al?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Every so often, that question to Palin about what sort of newspapers she read pops into my head, and I just sit back and smile thinking about her answer. It really boggles my mind how any VP nomination ever could have said "all of them." :allears: Lovely.

Fix posted:

So Trump is being interviewed live right now.

By Alex Jones.

How does Trump feel about the lizard and mole people living underground?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

"My black friend wife and/or daughter is offended"

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember how everyone was convinced that one missing student was the boston bomber because he was missing and had a muslim name?

Didn't the Sandy Hook shooter's brother get named first? And have his Facebook raided etc?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still don't understand why Trump wants to be President. Does he really want to devote 4/8 years to being PoTUS and not just doing whatever the gently caress he wants? Maybe he never thought it would ever get this big and doesn't know how to quit now? Does he want to lose and then embolden his brand with a massive persecution complex and a rabid fanbase?

It's not a Producers scheme, he's been talking about running for President since the last 80s and the Central Park Five case. He almost did it in 2000, IIRC. I think his only reasoning is that he's an insane narcissist who believes he's entitled to it. He's been a successful businessman (never mind that he's basically a trust fund baby), he's totes super popular you guys, and he's seen that a lot of people will just follow him like Lemmings, without having any consequences to his actions. He's not going to quit when he's in 1st place, still getting an incredible amount of pageviews and media attention, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the nomination, loses the general, and contests those results.

Trump is obviously saying what the nativist Republican white male voter wants to hear, but is it because the current GOP pack is so miserably weak that Trump is truly excelling? If there were a stronger candidate, would Trump have received at least some blowback?

Kafka Esq. posted:

Would it be terribly surprising if trump just wanted to singlehandedly choose the president, so he puts himself in a situation that allows his resignation to be the only deciding factor and chooses his running mate?

He's not going to resign, but I want to non-ironically see who he would pick as a VP. The possibilities are endless. Ted Cruz? His wife? Gary Busey?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
When someone fires into a large crowd, fire back at random. That'll do it. :downsgun:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Nothing can go wrong with the general public using their firearms on panicked situations. Wisdom of the crowd, best of the public and all that. I'm sure there's a good list of these heroic commoners that saved the day with their marksmanship.

Didn't WaPo try to publish a list of good guy with a gun incidents a couple months ago? They were only able to find about 7 or 8 in the last fifteen years.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He has no chance, so he has no obligation to be 100% insane like the rest.

It's like when a senator suddenly starts making a lot of sense after they announce that they aren't running for another term.

For reference, Rubio also said he had no exception for rape or incest, Politifact reports that he has sponsored legislation with exceptions.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

JT Jag posted:

This isn't even the craziest conspiracy theory I've heard. Not to say it isn't crazy.

Are the media dipshits also paid crisis actors?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Requiring a specific, credible threat before alarming the public is too much work! We need something to remind us that there are non-specific, non-credible threats all around us.

There's no real threat, but be afraid anyway? What?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Trump say how we should identify Muslims to keep them out, or is that just left to the imagination of his supporters (skin color, devil horns hidden under turbans, etc)?

Let's just say anyone with a hijab/niqab or anyone who fails the paper bag test.

Coincidentally, that second one almost definitely disqualifies Jesus himself, a Middle Eastern Jew.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

No exclamation point to be found.

This looks like a poster for something I would watch on HBO if there's nothing else on and the WiFi at the hotel is out. Even then, I'd keep channel surfing.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Does the right wing even realize that this kind of poo poo is exactly what loving ISIS wants?

No, it's because they hate our freedom and our women walking around and it has nothing ever ever ever to do with our policies concerning Israel or the Middle East.

I still see that talking point trotted out on occasion.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

Hahaha. Did these nutjobs forget that just 3 years ago, he was the GOP Vice Presidential nominee? Now he's the Islamic Manchurian candidate?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't hear anything but for some reason my ears are bleeding what's going on

"Why isn't the country as great as it was when I was a child and I had no responsibilities and unlimited potential?"

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

https://youtu.be/6b6CYHLWnyg

CommieGIR posted:

What I don't get about this is: Why? He's an rear end in a top hat, but he knows this poo poo is basically a one way ticket to jail? Why would he do that?

He's gotten away with a lot in the last few months, and he's gotten a lot of publicity too. He probably thought he was invincible, and that no one on Twitter would have knowledge of SEC regulations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zoux posted:

Last day guys.

Is there some sort of museum for gaudy memorabilia from failed Presidential campaigns? Because that'd be perfect.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your brother's library.

Contrary to popular belief, I am, in fact, not John Ellis Bush (!) Bush.

zoux posted:

Ugh can you imagine your parents dragging you to some Ted Cruz rally 70 miles away on your Christmas break. Poor Republican children.

You get tax breaks for Christmas this year, little Timmy.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Is it just me or is The New Republic more liberal than it used to be? Back in the 2000 era it was slightly center left and even neoliberal at times, but I've been reading it again recently and seems much more left leaning, probably more left than Vox. It's not to the level of The Nation but it definitely seems more liberal.

I've always thought Vox swings way left. Maybe not quite Salon or The Nation levels, but definitely left.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

baw posted:

If you want stuff from this year there are The Nixon Defense and The Wilderness, but I haven't read either because I'm waiting for the paperbacks to come out. Heard good things about both tho

Of course if your friend doesn't have Invisible Bridge then that's the priority

The Nixon Defense is entertaining, so is Being Nixon. I would also recommend the Woodward and Bernstein books, All The President's Men and The Final Days.

I also enjoyed Landslide by Jonathan Darman, if you are interested in learning about LBJ or Reagan.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

If more TCOT would shoot their computers it would be quite the Merry Christmas gift for us all.

I could only hope. Good ol' Bill there has a few chambers loaded and it doesn't look like he's practicing great trigger discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

So if we're really good, can we all have an extra Christmas present?

I wonder what the white hot ball of rage is doing this time of year?

• Locked thread