Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its extremely unlikely that the south would still exist, its economy was based almost entirely around cotton production and it's unlikely that would change after the cotton barons won a war of independence. in the late 1800 cotton took a giant hit due to expanded global production and the boll weevil, so then you have the south's economy collapsing at most a few decades after the war, at a time when the north's industrial economy is growing tremendously

assuming that the south somehow managed to survive this economic shock, the almost certain large scale self smuggling of hundreds of thousands of slaves to a much more welcoming north, and the tricky navigation of a certified constitutionally guaranteed slave state in an era when slavery really starts to become unpopular, all with a vengeful and industrially powerful hostile neighbor, the relatiohship would be probably less hostile but far more imbalanced as a power differential than india/pakistan

The price tanked because southern seccession ignited the great game for central asia; without seccession, its unlikely that the initial capital would have been put up to expand cotton-growing operations in Bukhara and Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Once again, the Obama EPA engages in an illegal action. When will the illegal tyranny of EPA finally be put to an end?

I was watching CSPAN 1 throughout the day. Did you know EPA is responsible for the growth of student loan debt in America? Its true! Just ask the honorable member from Iowa

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

We only have these problems because we elected a corrupt junior senator from Illinois.

Thank you for understanding the perspective of the majority in Congress and on the Supreme Court.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

You mean real America's perspective.

Real America doesn't elucidate their perspective with such civility.

Real America has the speaking skills of Martin O'Malley.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

USPOL Dec: Basically just The Californians and dead people today

USPOL Dec: Destination Californication

On Terra Firma posted:

Pretty cool they got an interview with the kid from UP!

Big whoop. I go to UP about once a month to put my cans through a machine at Kroger to get $0.10 each.

So many drat yoopers to speak to when ya do so. Yoopers: The Minnesota nice Michiganders

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why is USPOL discussing this California hubub? There is not enough information known on the event to discuss it; it's too soon to discuss this mass shooting. Now is not the time to discuss this shooting, now is the time to discuss how the Obama administration issued orders to only report positive news on ISIL to the intelligence community.

Furthermore, how can we be sure that this was a shooting at all, and not a terrorist attack?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I mean, it's a shooting either way. People were shot.

There is a fundamental difference between the two: One is the fault of Obama's inaction, while the other is the fault of Obama's inappropriate actions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

People are dead, MIGF, and you're trying to score political points? Disgusting, we need to take time to heal

As usual, you're right JT Jag: People are dead, and if this wasn't terrorism which can be blamed on Obama's cherrypicking of intelligence, then now is not the time to discuss the events.

JT Jag posted:

When in public, sit with your back to a wall and know your closest exit. I learned that from the Hitman series.

If there is a mass shooter who enters a room you are in, throw everything you can at them while rushing them.

Done properly, books can prevent mass casualty incidents, even if thrown by only kindergarteners.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fknlo posted:

Looks like the news conference is gonna start soon

Preview for the conference: 'We do not know much. There is not much information; things are still active. We will see you in an hour with more information.'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"The motive is unknowable."

Alternatively,

if(white)=unknown;
else=terrorism

if(terrorism)=setflag:Obama #When terrorism occurs, look to Obama
when (flag=Obama) then
50 #Equal chance
(flag=False) #Send to AJones event chain
(flag=AnotherFailure) #Add to list; be sure to code for memory overflow issues

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

What is this bullshit, nerd?

Its what you do inbetween calltime, because who the gently caress in American campaigns actually wants to work?

The only candidate I could imagine it being fun to work for is Trump, and only if you're coked up near 24/7.

Aerox posted:

Enjoy this very large image of a dude going in on every Congressman/woman who tweeted "prayers" for San Bernardino by showing how much the NRA donated to their campaigns.

http://i.imgur.com/YLxbDHE.png

What do you have against political contributions? They are the greatest exercise of the first amendment available to Americans.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Those were the 90s, my friend. Welcome to the now.

To be more precise, those were pre-9/11 times. We're now in the post-9/11 age and must consider our reactions accordingly.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

During the 90s, we stubbornly refused to remember 9/11.

Sounds like such a Bush thing to do.

Speaking of, has anyone watched the recent Showtime documentary, The Spymasters? I highly recommend it. Tl;dr: Bush's continued pre-9/11 thinking was a contributing factor in failing to prevent 9/11.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Female suspect confirmed.

Suspected explosive devices. Shooters usually don't have IED's, do they?

Sounds like a potential ISIL attack.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

Target local government function. Health department Christmas party. Either right wing militia nuts or distressed restauranteers.

Who would want to wage war on christmas?! :ohdearsass:

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes because we all know Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were trained in the Sudan :jerkbag:, try putting some effort into being a horrible human being.

"Terrorism is a possibility"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

FBI isn't prepared to declare this terrorism.

They aren't prepared to not declare this terrorism.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Female suspect confirmed.

You know where else a female suspect was confirmed recent, right?

"He's not my boyfriend!!!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

toanoradian posted:

Wait wait wait. Research on gun violence is banned?

Its not illegal or anything. You wanna do the research, you're free to pay for it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Remember that the next time your boss says that you can pay for your own paycheck.

Welcome to campaign finance! Enjoy your stay within the American political system; hope you get a better appointment than Forestry Service in Missoula

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DOOP posted:

I've been at work most of the day

what do we actually know so far?

1. Prime suspsct, according to news media like CNN, has a middle-eastern, islamic name
2. A bomb was found at their residence and blown up
3. FBI refuses to rule out terrorism

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

It's in the story he cited so blame The Daily Beast if you're looking for the responsible party.

That aside; this story just gets more hosed up with every turn.

How often does FBI take control of mass shooting investigations? Sounds like an event with a lot of planning, of a cell which went operational after being triggered by a christmas party.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

A manchurian candidate triggered by the "Jingle Bells"

Think about it --- what if it was a terrorist cell involving an individual who worked for local government? What sort of reaction do you expect from "TERRORISTS INFILTRATE GOVERNMENT" blaring on Fox for the next month?

Rexicon1 posted:

It just doesn't seem like typical terror cell MO with the running and all.

Why not? They may have had multiple targets in mind. Or, is it too surprising that terrorists are cowards?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

It's just, a holiday party for county bureaucrats would be such a weird target for any kind of terrorist attack. They're already at a place that would be a better soft target.

What if the terrorist came from inside the christmas party?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

A Trump presidency just became marginally more likely and Islamophobia is going to reach even higher levels now. Someone please tell me something nice happened somewhere today

You wouldn't have terrorists working in the government in a Trump administration.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did AP say where they got the name from? All I've heard is just that they have it.

Police radio.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How long into his term of office would it be before he passes a decree to ban Muslims from holding jobs in the government and civil service?

Not all muslims are terrorists, Shimrra.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why doesn't Obama issue an executive order creating a "no gun list" for terrorists?

It would appear this shooting is Obama's fault for failing to prevent guns from falling into the hands of potential terrorists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As if you couldn't stoke Islamophobia even hotter, Farook was "very quiet" and "flew under the radar", and recently returned from paternity leave. (:bahgawd: : If some normal unassuming Muslim can do this then they must all be evil!)

EDIT:

As if that wouldn't get overturned by the courts within a month as violating that holiest of amendments, the 2nd Amendment.

Make them. Maybe if Obama had some balls and was willing to shoot from the hit rather than overthink everything, then there wouldn't be terrorists committing so many mass shootings in America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Senf posted:

Yep. Even if authorities find no evidence that shows his religion had something to do with the shooting, media outlets will still spew a bunch of poo poo about how "Islam is inherently violent, so because he followed it, it was the cause" blah blah blah.

Why'd this terrorist shoot up a christmas party, if religion had no connection?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What will Trump's SS uniforms look like?

There's no 'S' in 'Trump'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm in a real bad and worried mood so I gotta ask. What would a Trump presidency look like exactly? What is the extent of what he could do with the power that comes with being the PoTUS? How much damage could he theoretically do? What checks and balances could there be to stop him from being a total monster? I'm asking this as a serious question, so please don't post one of the trillion jokes about a Trump America. I've read and laughed at them all.

We'd be bombing the poo poo outta ISIL; millions of good paying public-sector jobs with multi-trillion in stimulus spending; single-payer healthcare; and an end to looking weak internationally.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

... we would legitimately have no idea what the political landscape looks like.

And isn't that just so exciting?

I know what the political landscape would look like with a Trump presidency.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We know literally nothing about this and we're pretending it's rolling the red carpet for the GOP less than a year from now, ok.

A religious muslim carried out the worst attack since Sandy Hook. What else do we need to know?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are people right to be so confident that Hilary would run circles around Trump in a 1 on 1 debate and out-campaign him at every level?

Here's the thing, I don't drink so I got nothing to escape to right now.

No, they're not. Hillary is limited by things called "facts" and her "record"

Trump is an outsider who doesn't let these concepts bog down his politics.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

RBG is 82 and is the oldest justice on the court. If anyone resigns or dies next, it's almost certainly her. And if President Trump is in office, well...

...he'd most likely appoint some Democrat from New York.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Hillary can't take any criticism whatsoever and will shrivel up next to the man who fires his mouth like an automatic weapon.

I could see Hillary attempting to play the sexism card against Trump in a debate and having it go as well as when she tried to play the 9/11 card.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Which is why I gave Trump 47% to start with. I think it would be difficult to do worse than Romney, given the relatively unfavorable atmosphere for Obama.

The other thing that posters seem to forget is that Trump is running against Obama, while Hillary is running as Obama redux.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Trump will outperform Reagan's '84 results.

I would not discount this possibility.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Republicans posted:

Okay so here's what happened: They were planning a larger, more organized attack but someone at the Christmas party pissed him off so much he said "gently caress it," ran home and got his poo poo. That's why the pipe bombs didn't work. That's the only way this stupid thing makes any sense.

I'm gonna go with this being the most plausible scenario.

How many other terrorists have infiltrated our government?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Obama is not a terrorist.

He's a cerebral President at a time when America needs a cowboy-like decider.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CalmDownMate posted:

Doesn't make sense for someone as disciplined who prays a lot and is very religious to just snap like that if he has a really big plan and ruin that plan.

Terrorists have anger management issues? :monocle:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Obama, speaking to the Oval Office reporter pool, says they still don't know whether this was terrorism or workplace violence.

When was the last workplace shooting where the shooters wore GoPro's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

On Terra Firma posted:

These people wore go-pros? Seriously?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/03/2-suspects-killed-shootout-san-bernardino-massacre-14-killed/

quote:

Dressed in body armor and wearing GoPro cameras, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, burst into the San Bernardino facility and shot up a conference room where Farook's employer, the county health department, was hosting a holiday party. The pair escaped in a black SUV after the attack, which authorities said was over within minutes, only to resurface three hours later and less than 2 miles away in a fierce gun battle on the city's main drag.

• Locked thread