Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

If he would actually admit that he is doing something he said he wouldn't do, that would be fine.

Special forces haven't been considered "boots on the ground", since idk, Kennedy maybe Eisenhower?

I'd blame the arcane lies we tell ourselves about congress overseeing our military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's hard to cut Obama slack when he's been actively opposing sending in any significant amount of force to directly confront ISIS. It's not just 'he's doing something he said he wasn't', he has repeatedly said it's the objectively wrong thing to do.

Is D&D going to be so chill when he approves of sending in actual ground troops in six or eight months? (Silly question, I know the answer)

So wait, do you think we should or shouldn't be deploying ground troops to fight ISIS?

I'm sorry the fact that special ops isn't considered boots on the ground makes you angry, but that's just how the terms work in American politics.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

You feel that? That's the feeling you get when a politician you like tells lies.

Now now, we're not Republicans "nuance" doesn't have to mean "lies" to us.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't "nuance" when Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson did it, it was lying. It's lying now. People don't want any troops in the Middle East and Obama and the Pentagon are conspiring to deceive them.

Except there's a legal distinction between deploying special forces and deploying ground combat troops.

"Boots on the ground" is a dumb term that's stuck, but it is shorthand for ground combat forces and generally hasn't ever included special forces.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Yes, most people don't realize we have hundreds of bases around the globe. They wouldn't approve if they were able to learn it.

Dude, its not some secret. You're acting like there's huge barriers to figuring out America has troops everywhere. Go to a parade for christ sake.

The isolationist section of America isn't the majority, but does exist I will grant you that. However, the isolationists rarely have led this country is good directions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah the imperialists did much better.

Washington was a believer in South Park politics on this one

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Found it:

Banks with <= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) get a guaranteed 6% dividend from the Federal Reserve (this was set to shrink to 1.5%)

For banks with >= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) replaces the 1.5% rate with the smaller of either the rate equal to the high yield of the 10 year treasury note or 6%

So a massive handout to the banks and the return of the IM-EX bank are the poison pills, big handouts to the rich

Does this bill have an oil export provision too?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Is it bad when Google does it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, because Google isn't exploiting the image of a dead person for political points.

Just for $$$, which makes it ok, got it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

foobardog posted:

This is like complaining about car dealers dressing up as presidents for Presidents' Day sales. American society is much more forgiving of corporate shamelessness than political shamelessness.

You're probably right that both should be upsetting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did you want the idealist answer or the realistic answer?

Yeah I'm not saying you have to pick either idealistic or pessimistic, just lets not let our non-fleshy persons get away with poo poo (or praise our fleshy people more for the same).

Although, I could dig going all feast day on our American Heros of all stripes. Force big brands of all kinds to make a version of their logo with Bessie Coleman etc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Mind telling us how much extra $$$ Google gets out of featuring Marie Curie or Jonas Salk on their homepage?

Good PR is essential when your product is eyeballs. Google gets the benefit of "supporting women in science" without having to do anything except throw up a doodle. That's the pessimist take.

The optimist should be praising both Google and the Clinton campaign, did OFA take the extra effort to highlight Parks at the logo level?

Me? I waffle between the two based on how much coffee I've had.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Cool, mind quantifying what effect that good PR had? Or that it is indeed good PR in an objective sense? This is all doable for most corporate PR, so surely being so confident, you've got some evidence to back up your assertions.

All of those questions can be asked of the people decrying the Clinton campaign for doing the same thing...that's kinda my point.

edit: its like you don't believe in "earned media" as a good thing for your brand. Also lol that most brand PR can be objectively evaluated.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 1, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Many would, but others enjoy the social segregation public transportation affords them from their lessers, while simultaneously making sure the help gets to work on time.

They prefer private mass transit, like Suburban Express:

https://popehat.com/2013/04/28/suburban-express-took-the-first-bus-to-the-streisand-effect-have-they-disembarked-in-time/

quote:

In other words, if you accept Suburban Express' terms and conditions, even though you go to school in Champaign County, they will say you're agreeing you can be sued in a different county, that you'll pay their attorney to demand money from you, that you'll pay their attorney fees if they sue you, and that you'll pay a flat $500 if they think you or your friends have been rude to Suburban Express.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

You forgot the last step. The slutwoman has to prove beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law that her miscarriage was not her fault.

Then it was God's miscarriage.

Or she'll face 20 years in prison:

quote:

Patel told her doctors that she’d had a miscarriage and had left her stillborn fetus in a dumpster behind a shopping center. Still in his hospital scrubs, McGuire followed police cars to the scene and examined the fetus, which he pronounced dead on arrival. Patel was charged with child neglect, and later with killing her fetus, and on Monday she was sentenced to 20 consecutive years in prison.

The verdict makes Patel the first woman in the U.S. to be charged, convicted and sentenced for “feticide” for ending her own pregnancy, according to the group National Advocates for Pregnant Women (“NAPW”). Though Patel said she had had a miscarriage, she was found guilty of taking illegal abortion drugs. The Indiana statute under which Patel was convicted bans “knowingly or intentionally terminat[ing] a human pregnancy” with any intention other than producing a live birth, removing a dead fetus or performing a legal abortion.

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/01/indiana-woman-jailed-for-feticide-its-never-happened-before/)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Multiple fatalities, suspects 3 white males in "military-style" gear.

So some misguided lone wolves?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They're probably just mentally ill imo. 12 now confirmed deceased :(

Since mental illness is societally defined, pretty much anyone who commits or attempts mass murder is mentally ill.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Since several people have already alluded to it, I'll post OTM's Breaking News Consumer Handbook's guide to Mass Shootings, again for the Dec thread:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

:perfect:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

Maybe this would finally be the motivation to make guns harder to obtain.

hahahahahahahaha

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one of the police scanners said they were middle eastern looking. scary if that turns out to be true.

yeah doesn't matter even if it is true, but yeah middle eastern and bearded is what a witness told police.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Please stop being so goddamn credulous.

No, but we're in a world where any details are latched upon by those who think Sandy Hook was faked. So it doesn't matter if that witness, which didn't mention if the scary brown man had a gun, was lying. It will become part of the narrative that this was a false flag and or grander plot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

With the last shooting it was kind of obvious what the motive was. This , who loving knows?

Yeah, there's not like a heavily armed anti-government movement in America or anything, who knows why someone would attack the holiday party for government workers.....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay seriously was there gold under this center for disabled children??? Because that's the only possible motive I've got.

No but government workers were having a holiday party in a building the center rents out for events. That was the building attacked.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Loucks posted:

You're not wrong, but wasn't it the local Health Department? Usually the crazies are anti-Federal Government.

But also sample size of three. Lucidly one is alive to explain what the hell they were thinking.

True, but it is actually kinda hard to get into the IRS offices these days

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No one will go to prison over Deepwater Horizon. After manslaughter charges for the 11 workers killed were dropped today.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

When you work for an arm of the government, though....

Yeah that's why the phrase is "going terrorist" not "going postal"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

My local shwarma stand isn't at its usual location today. I hope everything is OK, the dudes who run it are Persian and sling killer falafel. :(

probably should report it to dhs, just to be sure

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Why is that a bad thing for Obama? Laws could actually do something here. If they were illegal we'd just get a bunch of "criminals will buy illegal guns anyway so why bother with laws" stuff.

No see if the guns are illegal then gun laws won't work and if the guns are legal then gun laws can't work.

The only thing that could possibly work is more guns, let's try that again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Half right. The company has a mandate to invest in long term structural endeavors. As in, instead of putting money in Coca-Cola, it puts it in textbook manufacturers, water treatment enterprises, and the like.

It will likely see less returns than just dropping it in a wide market index fund would, but it should still be able to beat taxes and losses. More to the point, what it then owns are the things that do not go away. Sears is looking like it finally might give up the ghost, but the companies it uses to do its distribution and logistics are not, because ultimately everyone needs to get things from here to there. This organization will be (from what we know now) ignoring the former and grabbing parts of the latter.

This isn't a tax dodge and PR grab, this is a long run hereditary wealth protection, meant so that his descendants are the upper crust many generations out, just like the nobility of old. It is the modern version of having the keep on the river, where a thousand years later you can still trace back the bloodlines if world leaders to those barons, because they made sure to control the things necessary for society instead of what is presently hot.

It is also a tax dodge, since that vast wealth will never be taxed because of this. But yes, this is also supposed to help his progeny have every advantage possible relative to the rest of us.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Sadly no, they actually did those things

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/3/syed-farook-tashfeen-malik-erased-digital-footprin/

Lol how insecure are your political positions that no one can critique them without reaching for the big shiny RACISM button.

Of course you know the Washington Times isn't exactly the most credible source, but who cares about credibility when discussing highly politicized fast breaking news?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

I almost can't believe this.

Don't worry, the big banks are still getting a free 6% from the fed, it just isn't as much money as they wanted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Ok, this is pretty clearly a problem with the local police not maintaining a crime scene at this point.

Why can't the police keep people out? They have arrest powers....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At least On The Media will be good this week :smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

Could the family sue MSNBC over this? :(

The now doxxed grandmother, the 6 month old child, or the two dead mentally ill wannabe terrorists?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Awful Sandwich posted:

Holy poo poo!

Are they really just picking through the house with a curiosity like it's a crashed space ship?

Someone else made the "Storage Wars" comparison which is depressingly accurate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure no one is getting arrested over this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

They were already married.

Also that's incredibly racist.

It's also sexist too!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

What a coincidence that your standard for what constitutes radical Islamic terrorism is based on information which is completely unverifiable.

According to TDD's own standards, we will never know if this was terrorism. But of course, that doesn't stop anyone from claiming mind reading powers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

isn't a major Jihadi suicide attack motivation the virgins in heaven bit?

I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's vastly overblown compared to the alienation, lack of hope, etc usually behind radicalization.

mcmagic posted:

I think Adam Lanza was, to use a technical term, just batshit insane.

Unlike this couple? Lanza just had a more American violent and insane ideology.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You don't have to be mentally ill to have the capacity to kill someone, especially in context that most deaths in America are conducted by ordinary people acting in a perfectly rational framework in their mindset.

If have a "perfectly rational framework" that leads me to paranoid delusions am I no longer insane because I can rationalize it to myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Probably the bombs. They pretty well imply a plan to attack something.

This would go if they were white, black, chinese or Native American.

the FBI declared Columbine terrorism?

• Locked thread