Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

The thing is, it's not just a choice between 4.5% heat vs radar dep. You have to consider the nodes in between. Very nearly everything in the sensor tree is good. Target retention is good because it allows you to predict enemies much more easily. Extra sensor range is good because it lets you determine enemy loadouts sooner at the beginning of the game, and acts as a soft counter to ECM because it increases the range at which you can target ECM mechs. Radar dep and seismic are obviously critical. And target info is excellent because it means you can shoot weak spots as soon as you target something instead of blindly blasting the CT of that battlemaster for 60% of your heat only to realize the left side was open. Advanced zoom is pretty bad and not worth it unless your vision is bad and you are in an ER LL boat, but it's also not blocking any good nodes. 360 target retention is pretty baller but you get the first rank (the worthwhile rank) of it as a filler node so you can skip the other.

Compare that to something like operations, which is like 80% garbage bullshit and 20% heat nodes you might actually want. Or survival which has some decent stuff but also has fall damage reductions and tiny crit chance reductions. Then remember that the sensor tree is really cheap to invest in anyway.

Also, you don't need 17 points in ops for optimal cooling. You can invest in the top few, then take the top left and right nodes to get like 60% of the boost for just ten nodes. Add in the fact that heat gen reduction is better than a cooling boost unless you have like 40 heatsinks and you should probably spec out of ops for the weapons instead.

This is almost sounding like ggggooddd designnn scooby (shivers comically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agrajag posted:

O

M

G

It's so fun playing the Linebacker this way. In a drop where there are lights for me to follow, and they do hit and runs type stuff, this thing is sooo much fun!

Are there any recommendations of light mechs I should look into? I know I saw some goons running the urbanmech with a poo poo load of machine guns I think?

cicada 2b with 5 mpl and a big XL used to be really good in an understated way, haven't tried it in the new meta.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

If mw4 mercs was one of my all time favorite games should I play this?

I generally am cool on multiplayer and HATE grinding.

its worth spending a few matches working towards a goon approved build, the games not terrible just thin.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gfarrell80 posted:

I got addicted to this game a couple months ago and it just occurred to me to check and see if any goons are in to it too. I see there is a thread! My screen name is ShooterMcGavin80. I hope to blow up mechs with some fellow goons sometime.

Post new skill tree a couple of my favorite fun mechs got nerfed pretty bad:

Spider 5K (basically now a waste of tonnage)
Rifleman 3N (lost a bit of ballistic cooldown and quite a bit of velocity)

Both those mechs were never THAT good, but they made me happy inside playing them. I don't have many mechs but all the other ones seem to be just about the same post-skill tree. I'm confused why somebody decided to nerf niche IS mechs that weren't that great to begin with. :(

Right now I'm having fun with the Ebon Jaguar, my first clan heavy. This puppy is freakin' great!

jump on the mumble, don't worry about getting in the goon guild. pw is mellon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agrajag posted:

I seem to do the worst with spls. I end up spending more time running away than getting shots on target.

never stop moving, never be the main thing they're focusing on, never shoot a robot more than three times before running away, your mission is to survive to the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Repo Man posted:

I'll probably do it in my Pirate's Bane. Or maybe set up a really stupid trash gimmick mech. A Warhawk with 4 small lasers and an LRM 5. Just piss my team right off. Oh, or an all small laser SNV-3. Small laser Boar's head...the trash possibilities are endless.

Cicada 2a can run 6sl iirc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tarbrush posted:

So, there's been 900 posts here since I last booted this up. Is the game any good yet?

They have a bunch of new guns and armour and engines on the test server, they have an elaborate new skill system that isnt terrible, they have a few new game modes, they are doing lots of sensible incremental tweaks. Still an arena shooter but it seems like they are doing all the stuff goons have wanted for years, though it may be too late...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Number19 posted:

People get banned for cheating all the time. We just don't make a big deal about it or make any announcements. I'm not going to say anything about how we find cheaters for obvious reasons but it is not something that goes moderated.

ty 19

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DancingShade posted:

Your pilot "skill" rating goes up over time no matter what mech you're in so long as you're consistently at least dead average.

If it's stuck or going down then it's not the mech.

though I don't play any more i've been tier 4 basically forever. I'm pretty bad, I guess, though I have the occasional good light game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have they amped up the sound effects? They seem a lot chunkier than six months back when i played last.

• Locked thread