Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can Melee Splash support Molten Strike? The actual attack is single target stop I could see it maybe working, but it also has an aoe effect so it probably doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Any ideas how Melee Splash works with projectile melee attack skills like Frost Blades?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've played exclusively hardcore since the early days of Diablo 2, and I think there's a certain mindset that you have to have. It's not "trying never to die", it's "seeing how far you can get until you die", a subtle but important difference.

The make or break point for being a hc player is your first death. That first death, or first death of a fairly well advanced character, is a toughie and I'd guess it's where most people nope out of hardcore. If you can deal with that one, it becomes much easier to accept future deaths. And after awhile, softcore seems kind of pointless by comparison.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

White 6ls aren't that expensive if you're willing to settle for a non top tier base. I got a white body armor 6l, I think the one that is clvl 56ish (so, two tiers below astral iirc) for 2 exa. Got decently lucky with rolling it and got t1 flat armor, t2 or t3 armor %, t2 life, and a t1 resist with room to craft a resist within 15 chaos and called it good. Maybe I just got a bargain though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

RT Cyclone. I'm currently using 0 uniques, and if you're fine with damage in the 20k range you can get by with just a 5L chest and a 400 dps (read: 10-20 chaos) weapon.

Tree: https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...IzP8kFqAZe0Vak= (but in reality you'll never get that many points, just save the damage wheel on the left-hand most side for last. If you're playing hc, you should also probably snag the other two health nodes in the Bloodless cluster and get the Soul of Steel cluster right above it. The general build is from this post: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 while my actual build is a bit tweaked - again, hc: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...=rgz_MrDaffodil )

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Zotix posted:

How is this game now? Last time I really played was some time in 2013. It was a lot of fun then but im wondering how much has been added /changed since then?

Tons and tons. If I had one complaint, it's that the gamespace is too big to entirely contain in my head now. Like with Diablo 2, it had tons of stuff but was small enough to fit the entirety into your mind, so if someone said "Oh, here's a new wacky build using A, B, and C" you could immediately see how / why it might work. There's just so much stuff in PoE now with so many mechanisms intertwining that it's difficult to conceive of the entire possibility space.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Most races, in my experience, it's fairly easy to hit a mid-level point tier. Like the 6 point tier in that above example. 20 races that you do decent in should be enough to get a Whispering Ice.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ranzear posted:

I'm just a scrublet who has never seen an Exalted Orb.

But one level can make all the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAC0p4xVmc

Jesus, 2400 life in the mid 60s? Scary poo poo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Question about Vaal Pact / Ghost Reaver mechanics. If you take both, does Vaal Pact's life regen debuff apply to energy shield recharge or does ES still recharge on its own and so I should still take relevant "faster start to recharge rate" nodes?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Didn't get my 7 points from the recent 1 Hour Headhunter event. Hopefully support can fix it. Fun event, my first time trying a Headhunter event. Assuming I get those points awarded, I'm 1/4 of the way to a Whispering Ice :v:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ornedan posted:

Did you delete your race character before points were awarded?

Yup :( I didn't know that was a thing. Now I do

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gambling via crafting is so stupid, but I can never resist the temptation.

Found a 320 ES shield with 95% crit, +1% block, 2 open slots. Scrap it, threw a divine on it, now it's a 401 ES shield with 89% crit, +3% block, still 2 open slots (prefix and suffix). Cool! poe.trade suggests maybe 6 ex on tali hc. "But!" I wonder, "what if I crafted cast speed and then managed to yolo ex high spell damage! At that point it's nearly mirror worthy!"

Of course my exalt results in 32 mana. Oh well, still a nice shield. I'll probably just throw it on my stupid glacial cascader when she levels up a bit.

e: and yes, I probably should have reversed the order of master crafting and exalting. But I wanted it all, dammit, and since you can't craft shield spell damage...

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 7, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Iron Grip works with Incinerate, right? Thinking of something like this for an Iron Grip / Iron Will Incinerate Marauder
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...NWm8B8Es2jywGY=

Best viewed in the offline skill planner, if online also note that I'm taking the requisite Chieftan nodes.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 1, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Vanguard Warden posted:

Iron Grip is for ranged weapon attacks. Iron Will is the equivalent for spells.

It looks like an Ascendant with Berserker and Deadeye will probably make the best incinerate character. The Berserker node grants 10% more damage and 1.5% generic leech, while the Deadeye node grants 20% increased projectile speed, up to 30% increased projectile damage, and one extra projectile for wider coverage.

Is there a relatively easy way of getting +1 projectile other than the Deadeye node? It'd be nice if I could spare the LMP link, and skills that fire two projectiles are kind of weird to control.

Yeah, wasn't sure if it would work. Iron Grip says Projectile and Incinerate is listed as Projectile but guess it's that drat "attack" verbiage.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hey guys I'm looking for 'best game with worst community' candidates for 2016 am I in the right place

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've never done Atziri. Taking my level 87 / 6k life / max res / 67% armor mitigation talihc cycloner in. Not even gonna watch a how-to vid first. Godspeed, goons!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Well, that went about as expected. Trash mobs were so easy I was thinking it was a bit overrated, the difficulty. The double vaal guardians I did decent damage on but turns out they do decent damage on me too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Challenges for the new leagues

Holy poo poo, they're actually achievable for decent players!

By my count, about 14 will be obtained without even trying for any fairly dedicated players.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Have they said how long the Perandus league will last?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Standard challenge league duration is 3 months.

The last league or two went on for longer, and I seen to remember GGG mentioning sometime last year that they want longer leagues going forward.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

I use Antnee's item filter, which is a bit understated compared to the other popular ones.

I'd also like a guild invite on Ixjuvin after the league goes live!

That's my preferred filter too, but when I checked yesterday it hadn't been updated for 2.2; no listing for Perandus coins in it. Can't check at the moment, did it get updated?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

It has been updated; v. 1.96 has P-bux. Apparently the filter listing for them is just "Coin"

Nice, thanks. I downloaded neversink's as a backup but it's rather gaudy for my tastes

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

resting bort face posted:

so what's the coolest thing to buy from the poe store? I'm never going to need additional tabs.

You are wrong and in fact the correct number of stash tabs to own is n, where n is defined as "one's current number of tabs + one more stash tab bundle"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That thing is loving absurd and I advise everyone to buy as many as you can when the league is ending because that's gotta get "rebalanced" at some point. Sell them legacy versions in standard for $$$

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ada posted:

Just found 2 exalts in a level 4 Zana daily, what are some fun things I can buy?

5l Marohi

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

bakka bakka posted:

I died last night with a 2H sword crit Ice Crash Slayer. I went Endless Hunger and Impact. If you have good leech, Endless Hunger is really nice defensively. I felt like I always had an Eternal life flask healing me. Too bad I thought I could fight Izaro with Vulnerability while wearing Abyssus. Definitely consider Slayer.

I found it interesting that Slayer was near the bottom in every metric GGG showed the other day, as far as people choosing it / number of top 100 players using that class.

I'll be picking up Endless Hunger in Merciless, I went to the other side and got 20% inc aoe and free melee splash. It makes the game a lot of fun for melee! I swap between Glacial Hammer and Infernal Blow depending on the zone and mob resistances therein. With 10% more aoe from the tree and a 5L Marohi, my Infernal Blow in particular (since it's 18q) clears entire screens. Combine that with Blasphemy - Warlord's and whatever that spell that gives you attack speed and leech and frenzy charges at the cost of life degen is, I'm always running with 5 endurance and 3 frenzy charges and am just wrecking poo poo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

If you build towards it you can make the Retch deal a ridiculous amount of damage, but unfortunately it's based on the actual amount healed, so 100% life leech + vaal pact just means most of your leech will not damage enemies.

Slayer's Endless Hunger would probably work well, then. At least in theory -- it makes it so leech effects don't stop even when you get to 100% life. Hm.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Let's figure out kind of gimmicky builds

Puncture - Chance to Flee

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Alright guys, I'm approaching enough currency to buy a Skyforth, and would like to use my race reward Whispering Ice. What is the best possible way to make a WI character?

Coming up with my own build based on the more popular WI builds out there, I'm wondering if this could be any good. Notes from this particular tree:

-My WI gems would be Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Spell Echo + Life Leech + Cold Penetration + Faster Casting. It relies on Vaal Pact with 4% leech.
-The tree gets just barely over 50% increased aura effectiveness. I would use a 4L of Blood Magic - Purity of _____ - Blasphemy - Warlord's Mark in my something. With 34% reduced mana on the tree and Skyforth, I can then use lvl 20 Clarity, Arctic Armor, 2 other Purities, and Discipline comfortably. This means I should have 3 Endurance charges, 5% phys reduction from my Ascendancy, AA, and a little bit of armor as a way to deal with phys damage. Hopefully with that much and Taste of Hate and maybe a Basalt/Granite of Iron Skin/Rumi's, phys damage should be really easy to mitigate. 81 base all resists with elemental flasks should be enough for Ele damage.
-Lvl 20 Disc gives about 450 ES with the aura effectiveness nodes, Skyforth is like 80, Shav's is around 400, and I would probably be wearing a 350 ES Vertex. With a good ES glove, I believe I can end up at 12k ES, though I'm not entirely sure.

How does this build compare with the typical Scion Berserker + ______ CI Avatar of Fire build? Is my damage just way too low with that build?

I'd certainly drop Faster Casting for something like Added Cold or Added Chaos. With spell echo and some duration nodes, I don't think it'll be the speed of casting that limits you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Made my first flicker strike build. Using Oro's Sacrifice, etc. It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen and I'm going to die horribly to reflect at some point even with 100% Ruby Flask uptime. But it's so ridiculously over the top that it'll probably be the build that gets me to keep playing even after I get booted from HC into standard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The March Hare posted:

Hey POE thread, how many dollars do y'all imagine this ring is worth on PSC?

Dual t1 (for elreon) res and -8 on a diamond. I have no clue what the market looks like for this poo poo right now.

e; While I'm at it, is this as good for sparkers as I assume it would be if I divined it up to non-poo poo rolls?

You can't divine the life very high; divining only works within the tier. I'm voltaxic spark and wouldn't have any interest in that amulet due to the low life. Really, damage is more than fine already and a meager 16% increased is a pittance compared to all the more modifiers I already have. And it doesn't begin to compare dps-wise to the sparker amulet of choice, Victario's Acuity.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yep, Daresso is orders of magnitude more dangerous than Kaom, especially for non-armor builds. Whatever your build or class, always bring a granite of iron skin flask when you fight Daresso.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bugsy, up for taking a run at Atziri sometime in the next week or so?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bugsy posted:

I've got 4 sets so we can give it a go sometime. I would like to get to 90 this weekend beforehand.

Sounds good. I've tried it only once before and it didn't go so well, but my volt sparker is a stronger character so

I've got two midnights along with other shards so assuming things go well we can run multiple times.

Incidentally, it's amazing how much better drops get when you can run t10+ maps with ease. I'd never had a Lioneyes Glare drop before, had three in this league (amongst other previously high end drops). Too bad it's worth like an alch now

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 21, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've tried to make it work in the past, but I think this will finally be the league where I pull off a Wild Strike / EE build that can make it into maps. Assuming they don't nerf Scion ascendencies, that is. It's such a powerful combo and completely wrecks through A2 merciless in previous attempts, the play style is tons of fun too. It's an interesting set of challenges to overcome; for example, how to scale damage up when literally every single damage aura (aside from Haste, if you count that) actually hugely lowers your damage.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

whypick1 posted:

I keep theory-crafting on how to make EH work and....just no.

My Wild Strike character from when they first introduced it really petered out in maps. Not seeing how Ascendancies will help.

It'll give me leech without burning a support slot or having to path down to Templar, and give me two alt start locations. Both of these are invaluable as I spend most of my points in Templar and a bit in Witch; can path there normally and pick up extra health and damage from Marauder and extra health and accuracy from Ranger. I'll post the tree when I get home, absolutely open to critiques.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Voxx posted:

Don't take EE with wild strike, it's random which damage type you get and bad with it. I did a crit 2h slayer wildstrike perandus league and it was pretty fun.

If you math it out, it's a significant DPS upgrade. Sure, sometimes you'll roll cold 5 times in a row but it's much more likely (twice as likely, in fact) to roll a different element. In a worst case scenario (vs enemies with 0% resistance to start), it is on average a 33% more modifier. For enemies with 50% resistance, it's closer to 50% more damage. It's hugely powerful.

Does anyone know, though, if elemental focus also negates the 5% chance to ignite/shock/freeze from that Templar ele dmg node? Not a big deal if so, just have to run controlled destruction instead.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

So here is my proposed build

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...fMRZlRG17FCAAA=

(put into offline skill planner obv)

Astramentis for neck to cover necessary dex requirements, and to give me a bit more evasion, accuracy, and life. Doedre's ring so I can run Blasphemy - Ele weak and Enfeeble. AA as well. That jewel, forget its name, that gives increased cold and fire damage in my jewel nodes. Wild Strike - Multi - WED - BM - (LL / LGOH / one of the ele penetration gems (fire, most likely, since I have an extra 1% resist on that) / Ice Bite / FA / Melee Phys (I've read conflicting things on whether this actually helps anything other than the tooltip dps) / Innervate / Inc Crit Chance / IDK). Gonna have to see what works best for 5th and 6th link. Or I could just run Fortify in there; instead of Whirling - FA - Fortify - Inc Duration.

Defense mainly provided by flasks; with the Alchemist cluster and the Pathfinder ascendency, should have virtually 100% uptime for a Granite of Iron Skin and Stibnite of Evasion. Also need a Ruby of non-shock, Saphire (or w/e cold res one is) of anti-bleed, probably a life of anti-freeze or if I want max dps, that flask that shocks everything. Also run Blood Rage ofc. My attack speed should be ridiculously high and even with base crit I should have 100% uptime on Ele Overload, I figure. Reflect will be a problem, even with Enfeeble and flasks, but we'll see how bad it is.

Ele Hit - WED - Multi - BM for single target maybe?

Bandits: Life, Aspd, Frenzy.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 22, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Magus42 posted:

You have 10 points in your ascendancy, which is impossible even in 2.3

Ha whoops, not sure what I was thinking. Here is an updated one: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...UIWbySq42o26QAA

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a go-to hc viable fakener build?

• Locked thread