Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Warlord's Mark works fully with spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

If you want to start as a Ranger/Witch/Shadow and be life-based you're basically forced to take the Scion life wheel.

definitely not though

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Can Melee Splash support Molten Strike? The actual attack is single target stop I could see it maybe working, but it also has an aoe effect so it probably doesn't.

Yes but don't do it. The initial hit is a non-factor in Molten Strike damage. You'll do as much damage if you hit the floor.

Importantly, you don't need 200% life to survive. Not even as a hardcore melee evasion character. I promise.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2015

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

It's like people see a nerf of any kind and think items/skills are useless. Mjolnir is still the strongest item in the game, Incinerate will probably still be very strong (let's not forget how much better it was than every other spell), Acrobatics is viable defense. Calm down.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I forgot about the Melee Splash buffs. Double Strike, my old friend.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Any ideas how Melee Splash works with projectile melee attack skills like Frost Blades?

the melee attack will splash and you'll get the exact same projectile effect you'd get without melee splash. don't do it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The only thing you'll have trouble with is staying awake.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Goddess Unleashed is so unfortunate. It had a lot of interactions but the designer decided that those didn't fit his idea for the item and now it doesn't look very good at all.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Phine posting so I can't double check but the mined info from beta showed an actual one-hand weapon (like the others it now uses both slots, but I believe can be six-socketed) and instead of applying a unique mod on ignite (Her Blessing, 33% max hp as dot) it would just ignite you (possibly also make you immune to ignites for a duration). There are a lot of ways to make use of igniting yourself, hot-footed and mokuo's embrace come to mind, but there will almost surely be no way to ever make use of Her Blessing. Also it talks but if it's anything like Jack, The Axe you'll learn to hate it very quickly.

The Goddess Bound is still of a very silly rarity but it has no value and a card you can farm from Hillock. Not that anyone cares.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Ripped my level 78 dual Dreamfeathers phys build in a reflect map tonight. It was going fine until I decided to stand on shocked ground and crit a pack. Oh well! Goodbye 80% movement speed, I don't know how I'll ever get over you.

edit: onto another cleave build!

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 1, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I'm thinking about making a Frenzy build, since it's always been a really cool skill, and the mana changes might actually make it sustainable now. So I made up a skill tree, a bow Ranger with +3 frenzy charges and lots of projectile damage. I was thinking of focusing on poison, as bonuses to "projectile damage" allegedly apply to poison twice, once for the initial hit and once for the DoT derived from the hit, and I assume the "more damage" bonus from frenzy charges does the same. Links would probably be Frenzy+Poison+Slower Projectiles+LMP/GMP+(Pierce/Void Manipulation/Faster Projectiles??? No idea). Then Curse on Hit+Vulnerability on something, and probably Grace and Arctic Armor since it won't benefit from added elemental damage. Darkray Vectors are an obvious choice, giving an extra frenzy charge, and 16% dodge and an absurd 40% move speed at full charges. No other uniques jump out, except maybe Darkscorn to let me get (a quarter of) those chaos damage bonuses on my actual attacks. Is there anything obvious I'm missing on this tree or these gems? Is +178% life enough for a Phase Acro build?

DON'T USE FRENZY (it sucks)

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I played through act 4 with some random party for the first time after dozens of Malachai kills. People are really loving bad at dodging anything. Piety lasers, Malachai punches, anything and everything was being tanked. The party started at Daresso with 6 and by the time we finished Malachai like 5 people had ripped. I was shocked. I'm doing level 40 low-life lightning tendrils and a bunch of people not doing dumb poo poo are dropping around me.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I wish I wasn't too lazy to respec my current character. I really want to try a life/es claw character that uses ghost reaver to maintain es and implicit life gain on hit for hp. I'd even have a great reason to use Coruscating Elixir! But that sure is a lot effort.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I can't imagine Silverbranch lasted that long and actually wasn't infuriatingly slow. I can never get out of act 1 using it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I had the most heartbreaking rip last night. I ran a tier 8 hoping to get some better map drops, got a few tier 9 and tier 7 maps and an Oba's Cursed Trove. Cleared the map and was going to do the Vorici mission i skipped over. As I was quickly using Whirling Blades to get across the map, I hit a wall, presumably got shocked by Minara and guard Ethereal Knives'd to death from 5khp. Went to standard and killed Atziri deathless just to really rub salt in that wound.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I got in on The Retch before people realized what was going on. Made it for a cool 3 chaos. Then I got a faminebind drop and sold it for an even nicer 30 chaos.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

TheRat posted:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dominus

The wiki is actually pretty good for this

I've been playing this game so long that seeing Dominus strategies is really weird. I fight him half asleep without a care in the world these days.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Korwin posted:

Got an unique low level ring who turns my cold damage into fire damage.
Can I use this feature for something? Or do I need to replace him as soon as I get better resistance gear (using him at the moment, because the stats are nice at low level...)

Pyre is a great ring. I've run a few Ice Nova Iron Will builds that wear that ring. And at low levels it gives a ton of resistance and is well worth wearing.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok, so level 72 Hardcore talisman character, doing pretty good.

Questions about mechanics:
Does +% elemental on weapons on a belt affect hatred/added fire damage?

Does anything help level gems faster other than speed merciless dried lake runs over and over?

I see they nerfed Cast when damage taken + enduring cry (war crys are not spells now)... So is that why everyone is running higher level CWDT + Immortal call?

Yes. It affects any elemental damage you deal with a weapon, as long as you're attacking it will work.

Running a higher level maps and Untainted Paradise will give you more gem experience because they give more experience.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Finally, her being a wonder child prodigy will do something besides just making all her voice clips obnoxious.

CURSE YOU BRUTUS! CURSE YOU AND YOUR BLOODY MURDERED EMPIRE!

Vorenus posted:

I'm in A2Cruel, and I'm at a loss. Ele resist was an issue, fixed that. Then it's mana, fix that, but now it's DPS, or block/stun b/c just being on the same screen as a common mob seems to induce paralysis in my character. Or now matter how well I try to stack ES with armor or evasion I'm getting 2-shot by bosses. Is there a way to enjoy this game that doesn't involve either starting a new race every two hours or treating it like a full-time job?

This sounds like you're trying to rely on your energy shield as life (possibly taking Chaos Inoculation). Don't do that, use life. Energy shield is, outside of lategame situations, a trap.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Xequecal posted:

Gladiator is the most overpowered one by far. The biggest problem with running shield right now is if you want to cap spell block you need to use a Lazhwar Stone. Using this amulet means you can't use Voll's Devotion, which is the most overpowered item in the game and pretty much more than doubles your DPS and survivability by itself. Now you can run Gladiator and just have the best of everything. Hell with those new block gems you can probably run Voll's Devotion and Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics and STILL cap block and spell block.

How?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I wonder if a RT 2h cycloner with the ascendancy thing that makes movement skills free would make a good magic finder next patch. Don't need crit or anything on gear, just some flat phys maybe, get a good phys axe and make everything else IIR/IIQ/resists/life

The Shadow is 24 largely useless nodes from Resolute Technique and most Cycloners use blood magic anyway, so probably just much worse than a Duelist or Marauder. And that's on top of the rest of the Trickster tree serving no purpose to the build.

I guess if the Scion can use any tree it'd be slightly less bad.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 21, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Ascendancy build ideas?!

As the official grand master of Lightning Tendrils I'm compelled to do a crit Tendrils, Mind Over Matter Shadow with the Trickster tree. Whirling Blades in for Fortify and blast away. I'll use orb of storms for power charges and maybe blind.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

Crit non-assassin? why?

It's not difficult to get good crit on the top of the tree, it is difficult to get good defense. It's definitely an option just ine I'm not particularly interested in.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

The other is multiple traps for mines, 2 more mines at 40% less damage (120% damage effectiveness total). The video doesn't show the supports being used, so no clue how it lays out the mines.

No one asked for this and no one wants this.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Scion ascendancy is not at all what I expected and is super interesting. I'll probably still stick to not playing Scion but goodness.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Don't use a quality gem and get the chain. Your ability to hit targets, especially in closed areas, is massively increased with chain. Potentially dropping the chain gem is a big damage boost as well.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 27, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

In all fairness, you certainly can obtain legacy gear. It's just a waste of time and currency. I'll never understand the fixation some fools have with these items. Except in one case (Facebreakers) you'd be more powerful with equally unobtainable mirrored gear.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Play crit builds and shatter everything because carrying offering skills is stupid and dumb and skipping a box is blasphemous.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I'm playing in hardcore and I've done the lab as soon as I finish the Hedge Maze on every character. I don't even bother waiting to equip better gear. I'm about to do it a fourth time (in normal, I've done dozens of Merc runs) on a Spectral Throw character.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Korwin posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Korwin077/characters
So looking at Khoraswor and his Equipment (and his Passiv-Skill-Tree?), is there something obvious missing.
I would guess that I need to replace the boots? Cold resist is not at the cap (without Endurance charges).

I'm still dying embarrasingly often (ok Kole was with an Ghost inside, without he was dead fast). With fortify and 8 Endurance charges. I suppose I'm a bad Player ;-)

You should spend 10-20 chaos upgrading your gear. Very little of it has life rolls and those that do are really low. You should easily be able to cap your resistances and get a lot of life for 20c total.

edit: also probably take endurance charge on melee stun off of the 5-link.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 18, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I died last night with a 2H sword crit Ice Crash Slayer. I went Endless Hunger and Impact. If you have good leech, Endless Hunger is really nice defensively. I felt like I always had an Eternal life flask healing me. Too bad I thought I could fight Izaro with Vulnerability while wearing Abyssus. Definitely consider Slayer.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Maddot_66 posted:

Would it be plausible to run some kind of crit based ice spear witch? there's something about the build that seems intriguing to me.

Absolutely. The tree and gear doesn't need to be anything special, a typical projectile crit spell build will work. You'll be able to get away with less crit than typical considering the silly amount of crit chance it has.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

One of the weekend patches claimed to fix the un-openable chest problem. I haven't seen it in the past few nights.

I have a T5ish capable Cyclone Marauder/Berzerker here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JawnV/characters

Not sure where to go. It's fine for zoning out and chewing through Lake runs, but whenever I'm partied with folks it feels like my clear speed is just dragging the group down. Survivability's decent, damage is ok when I can actually get to an enemy. My next few passives are going to the Life cluster near Scion. Any advice?

You should not be using Cyclone with a Marohi Erqi. Movement and attack speed are large parts of its DPS, Marohi fucks both of them. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, use Hezmana's bloodlust. Your gear is in desperate need of an upgrade. Your belt, left ring, amulet, and armor are hot garbage. 30 chaos should be enough to get some basic mapping gear. I'd also suggest dropping some of those jewel sockets for damage nodes that are much more efficient.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I won't hear any bad talk about Cleave. Demon Hand Cleave happens to be the best MTX.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Grizlor posted:

If it doesn't trigger it anymore, EE is still not even that useful considering how quickly things die, except as a 1 pointer to make vaal lightning traps better vs. bosses or something.

Things die even faster when they have a lot less resistance to whatever element you're using. If you're doing primarily elemental damage and can use EE you should use EE. Doesn't matter the build.

thehandtruck posted:

What's the best way to deal with ele reflect (in HC)? I'm doing an arc build with call of the bro ring, herald of ice, and wrath doing around 28k dmg with max charges. With the inquisitor passive of ignoring ele resists I've almost killed myself a few times with big jolts of reflect.

Increase your max resists or leech lots of life and do it faster (vaal pact or a high lvl/quality leech gem).

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 26, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

You'll only resist the reflected lightning damage at the higher res but it's better than dying.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Saffell's is fantastic! If you can free up your shield for that purpose it should help a ton. You also get the benefit of carrying around that sweet shield.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Vaal Double/Lightning Strike are amazing. Use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Nezkar posted:

Would any one like to take a look at my character 'BloodyMez' and see if there is any glaring optimizations I may have missed? I hit 91 last and realized I am running out of skill points and still want many things. Mainly life.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Mezlat/characters

I started the character with no real plan other then I wanted to play with Gladiator and Gratuitous Violence. Currently it has become an attempt at max aoe cyclone vacuum.

Notable problems:

Single Target Damage: My main cyclone tooltip w/ auras is 5,371. This is because of using the prismatic eclipse for weapon range offers poo poo base damage. To keep with the vacuum gimmick I don't have very good damage links - I mainly use Cyclone - Fortify - Blood Magic - Life Gain on Hit - Knock Back - Increase AoE. This works fine on clearing trash and most rares(thanks to Gratuitous Violence explosions)

I've set up a weapon swap with better damage links in a Kaom's Primacy: Cyclone - Melee Phys - Bloodlust - Life Gain on Hit - Blood Magic. tooltip: 12,340.
This is better but clunky. Since my main cyclone is in my chest, when I weapon swap the Cyclone skills don't replace each other and I'll end up using the weaker cyclone still since its on my right mouse.

Low max life total: The skill tree planner shows me at 161% max life%, currently in gear at 4,949. I am unwilling to currently change my gloves and neck which offer no flat life. My current helm offers no life, and I'm not really sure if its even ideal in the build, up for recommendations.

Otherwise, I've gone super greedy on AoE, and Bleed. I'm going to test dropping nodes from the Dirty Techniques wheel in hope of freeing up 9 points. I would also like to drop the Blood Letting wheel if I can apply bleeds well enough with Gratuitous Violence alone. Any thing I do free up here would be moved towards the scion life wheel.

Finally, I've currently got 4 free skill points to spend. I think my options are picking up 2 jewel sockets (located: scion towards witch, and witch area) or pick up 2 strength nodes and drop into the scion wheel for Constitution.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Dual-wield Cyclone is fine but it is not ideal to use two Prismatic Eclipses (or even one). If you're going to dual-wield you should probably use rapiers and probably crit. Since that would be a massive change to your tree I'd instead recommend switching skills to cleave (if you really want to dual-wield), leaving the witch area and using those points to pick up damage and life in the Templar/Maruader area. You should see a massive increase in clear speed from having a large increase in damage over your massive AoE. Cyclone isn't linked to a single damage gem and your ideal 6-link should have almost entirely damage links. I don't understand the desire to use Empire's Grasp knockback, what is it offering you over a pair of gloves with life/attack speed/flat phys? Devoto's Devotion is a fantastic Cyclone helmet and probably your only actual DPS increase. Basically you've got a Dual-Wield Cyclone build and no nodes or gear or gems to scale any of that damage.

• Locked thread