Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, I was already planning a trickster freeze pulse build but I'm going to use Doryanis Fist and a call of the brotherhood, I'd lose my second ring slot if I used a Snakepit as well.

I was also planning on doing a Hyaons Lightning Strike Raider... I wonder if that hammer will be more DPS for a pure lightning build instead without the increased damage taken drawback of Hyaons, since you can still take physical mace and 2h nodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Maybe I'll do an iron will juggernaught with EK. Tanky as poo poo without much gear dependency.

I think Hierophant Iron Will is a great league starter. stack a ton of mana for the 40% Mind over Matter and use a Pledge which are always very cheap now for an early 5L. Plus it works with basically any spell (except detonate dead) and the tree is very generic so if you're undecided what you want to play you can test everything out.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i cant decide between ice trap and bladefall/poison traps. i think ice trap is pretty but bladefall/poison seems to be stronger

neither. lightning trap and arc traps are the most fun

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

nightwisher posted:

WHAT THE gently caress BUILD DO I PLAY ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH :psyboom:

Do Iron Will Hierophant. Work towards a Pledge and getting lots of mana and MoM. All your nodes are Elemental or Spell or the damage from strength from Iron Will. So you can use any spell you want and stick it in a 4L Pledge for a cheap early 5L. If you want to gimmick it up then take Resolute Technique, put on a Romira's Banquet and a The Aylardex and you can get like 45% MoM

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have much attack speed or accuracy in those builds. I had this one planned for this league but haven't tried it yet:

poeurl.com/MPU

It was intended as a Hyaon's LS Life based Raider but it could work with any weapon if you use Phys2Light gem for pure lightning. Might need to rejig the tree and take some of the weapon specific nodes which afaik also scale the projectile damage, I have thought about doing it with that unique mace from the minotaur but I doubt i'll be able to afford one in EHC. It's pierce based but you can do it with Chain, which I might do anyway if I actually play this character. You can always use Molten Strike for single targets since you're a proj build as well

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

If you don't mind namelocking you could always do frost blades!

edit: I knew the problems with LS going in, at least, I've done it before.

Spectral Throw would use the same tree as well

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So, in theory as long as i dont take damage, the 7-link srs would be free?

fake edit: some guy doing BoR-SRS but with totems and no EB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIIIXs5V78

Yes.

Something also to think about is you can get 82% reduced cost from Hierophant and some nodes on tree. The 20% life wheel Tireless has reduced cost, as does the mana at Templar start and Dynamo by the Scion life wheel. If you fill out both wheels it goes up to 89% reduced with 100% uptime. You might only need a single bit of Elreon jewellery to hit zero cost on all your spells and then you won't have to worry about not being hit

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The need to make all the hits physics based and the corpses ragdoll so when you hit something it goes flying, then we'll finally be on par with The Greatest ARPG Of All Time, Titan Quest

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
As expected, spell damage scales the Searing Ray damage where it doesn't on Searing Bond, probably replacing it on totems and making Searing Bond redundant

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

megalodong posted:

Well if you use that reductive a description, no league counts as interesting...

Seems fine to me, it's a mix of beyond/rampage, fated uniques v2, and the usual boss summon via farmable items that they've used since atziri since it works well.

I wish they'd do something a bit different but if you think about it, there's not a lot they can do other than monsters having more stats, scary monsters that attack you or lots or scary monsters that only attack you when you click something.

I'd much rather the breaches happened on top of you at least once a zone without any input from you as well, so it's more like Invasion +the best league) and less like a strongbox

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I think for Breach I'm going with either an EA Juggernaut or a 1h Slayer to start. Leaning towards the Slayer, so I can swap between 1h EQ, Lacerate and Blade Flurry. Eventually end up with a Varunastra probably. That 20% cull and near-perma Onslaught is just so good starting out.

I might have to bring back the Point Blank Chin Sol Iron Grip Reverse Knockback Ranged Attack Totem Berserker for this league :sax:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
With this buff I now have no choice but to bring back the Point Blank Chin Sol Iron Grip Reverse Knockback RAT Berserker

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel torn, I really like the breach's, but I kinda don't want to have to do cruel difficulty one more time and doing the grind to 70+ where the gameplay really speeds up.

Same actually, a few builds in my head I want to play/see if the gimmick will work but the thought of levelling even through normal just one more time is ugh

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like using frost blades so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope I get useful/usable items and gear for it at endgame

You could try using the claw Touch of Anguish. I've wanted to make a frost blade build with it for some time, just never got round to it. It'll work great as a Raider in this league with the frenzy charge generation.

I'm not 100% on whether you're supposed to scale the melee/attack or the projectiles. (I THINK the wiki says that melee physical damage scales the projectiles)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Hand is the good claw from 2.5. I'm not sure you even get any claw nodes for it because they're all phys. I don't know if it's efficient to get the 4% aspd nodes that lead to those crit chance/crit multi nodes in the back of the claw wheel.

Like seriously there are 2 nodes on the entire tree that gives crit multi for claws. They are both minor 12% nodes. There are literally better nodes for crit ele 1h mace than for claws.

It doesn't all have to be about critical. They could just make all the nodes "attack damage (or leech) with claws" instead of just physical so it scales elemental damage as well as projectile skills & bump some of the numbers up and then it opens up a bunch of options

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress. Grim Dawn isn't going to last me until June. I'm so tired of levelling in this game, even though I have loads of builds I still want to try. Hopefully the next league is Invasion Tier

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Hey so I did a bunch of calculations with my current Doomfletch Pathfinder and there's some interesting things I found in terms of point efficiency. The lvl 89 tree I started with is here: http://poeurl.com/Z5e, and I was trying to decide which damage nodes to get from there for max efficiency. I'm valuing a jewel socket at 8% attack speed + 16% damage + 10% damage, since getting a 4th relevant mod starts getting very expensive.

I tried the following branches from that tree: 3 point jewel socket that gets 2 proj damage nodes, Harrier + the connected 3 point jewel socket through 3% attack speed nodes, Sniper, Will of Blades, Will of Blades + Coordination, and Throatseeker. For what it's worth, I think my character with the lvl 89 tree I linked is a reasonable template of what offensive stats a crit weapon build will have in the endgame while buffed (73% crit chance, 383% crit multi, 1807 accuracy, ~460% total increased damage, 95% increased attack speed). The ratios of how valuable the stats are will be slightly different for other characters, but I think those numbers come close to what most characters get. Also, crit multi should be slightly more valuable than what the PoB tool says, because PoB does not account for Diamond Flask and the accuracy crit chance penalty, which puts my real crit chance at about 86%. This only affects Throatseeker, which ends up actually like 20% more efficient than the reported number.

Here are the results: (my base dps with that tree is 58736, and this is damage per hit of TShot * attacks per second, obviously TShot hits a lot more than once per click):

Projectile Damage Jewel: 1907 dps/point
Aspect of Eagle: 2548 dps/point
Harrier + Jewel: 1904 dps/point
Sniper: 1631 dps/point
Will of Blades: 1922 dps/point
Will of Blades + Coordination: 2150 dps/point
Throatseeker: 2276 dps/point

I didn't get the numbers for 2 point Frenzy/Power charges, but know that they are really inefficient. Don't take them unless your build specifically gets other bonuses from the charges.

Aspect of Eagle is a big winner, which is surprising because I don't see people take that node on phys bow builds most of the time. It's actually an incredibly efficient node. Throatseeker is second best, first if you consider what I said about crit and PoB before, and I think it's pretty much always going to be worthwhile on crit builds if you can reach it within 4 points unless you're an Assassin with really high multi already (like 450+ without it). Sniper is actually really awful and it appears that unless you need the projectile speed you should not be taking the node.

you know you can just download Path of Building and put your build in and hover over the nodes and it tells you how much dps you'll get, right?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
An 'auto stash' button where you can preconfigure what items go into what tabs :pray:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
if i put 3 Invasions on my league will i get to fight 3 unique bosses :twisted:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I have no idea what that argument is even about at this point, and I was dumb enough to at least skim all of it. Someone is angry about some amount of energy shield on a leeching ranged melee non-leeching spellcaster stuck somewhere between hc and sc.

Anyway. I have been trying for a while to come up with something fun to do with pledge of hands since it is rock bottom cheap now and aiming for a 5l-as-6l weapon with built in defenses is a nice way to start a hardcore league. Best thing I've come up with is a blade vortex inquisitor like this. Ran it on standard a test character with random gear and the damage is quite good even on a 5l. Feels quite durable even unoptimized, could be really tanky with kaom's and some +mana gear.

edit:It can go a lot of directions with a bit of respec and the 6th link. I kinda want to avoid the done-to-death stuff (apart from BV itself), so no poison or inevitable judgment. Maybe just faster casting and dropping a bit of damage or the second curse to grab the dodge cluster.

Mana tank ball lightning knockback build :sax:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

J posted:

God damnit I play a 2h character of some sort like every league and that mace makes me really want to start with EQ jugg.

edit: it's a loving boat anchor who doesn't want to hit things with a boat anchor

I talk myself out of doing a permastun build every league because half the bosses can't be stunned anymore, the ones that can are basically impossible without that broken legacy Facebreakers/Abyssus/Warchief combo and it's difficult making a build with enough damage, the stun nodes and that's tanky enough to wear an Abyssus in Hardcore. Plus you get that mobs can't be stunned map mod that shouldn't even exist which kills half your build.

Plus you almost want to do something like a Champion because otherwise your first 2 links for your heavy strike are non-damaging ones and then you kind of want Fortify, even though Slayer and Juggernaut are probably the better options, so it's a bit of a drag needing a 5 or 6 link on what's sort of a league starter.

Otherwise though the one I did back in Tempest or some poo poo was fun and it'll be easier to work around that Ground Slam jewel if they're changing the threshold on all of them. You don't technically need a stun aoe skill like Ground Slam anymore either because most mobs die in one hit. You can use Earthquake for clearing and Heavy Strike for your boss /rare stuns. Or go full hipster and use DomBlow as your aoe

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The March Hare posted:

Have I got good news for you!

But then you don't get to use the cool new unique

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I really want to do a ball lightning build.

i want to try some cheesy ball lightning knockback mana tank hierophant

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

10bux posted:

loving Path of Building is way too addictive... I think I may have a problem already and we don't even have the new skill tree!

whypick1 posted:

Since I've decided to stop playing until Legacy I've replaced actually playing this game with doing 50 gazillion builds in PoB.

same same, now i don't actually have to level a build to know if it will work. Path of Building will tell me that it can hit 400k dps :sax:

really looking forward to chris wilson destroying all my carefully cultivated hipster builds by changing the passive tree and making it impossible for me to commit to blood magic or mind of matter

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What do you do for rare gears? Just random stats or something?

It has rare templates in it where you can modify the affixes and stat ranges, I feel like it doesn't have every affix though, especially for caster weapons. Typically I just do the damage parts of equipment (weapon, rings, jewels) unless I'm playing an iron will build and then I put a middle roll of strength on every slot to get a general idea of where I might be at

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I can't see any changes to the Blood Magic nodes, which I thought they said would be changing in the manifesto??

Oh well, gifts from above might be good on the iron will scorching ray/searing bond Inquisitor I'm planning on starting with. Was hoping to see a small buff to Doon's at least.

My dual Touch of Anguish lightning to cold lightning strike build is destroyed with that Call of the Brotherhood build I think, unless the new physical to cold nodes are enough for the full conversion

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
the call of the brotherhood change has sort of killed my touch of anguish phys -> lightning -> cold lightning strike build. I mean it still works, just not with 100% conversion. don't know if im being anal about that last bit of lightning damage not being converted or if i should just make it cheaper, drop the CotBs and go for Frost Blades instead... which is much less safer and probably slower to kill on bosses.

Still going with Scorching Ray, Searing Bond & RF iron will Inquis for league starter anyway

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
think ive been removed as well, please re-invite: Fartpulse

i hope there's going to be a Lightning Strike threshold jewel that does something cool :pray:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

So how many people are actually going to run HC this time? Is it going to be the normal 80/20% split?

I am but i'm EU so :shrug:

still can't decide between blood magic or mana based for my scorching ray league starter. BM more tanky but mana gives me the convience of not having to get an essence worm for purity of fire and blasphemy curses instead of orb of storms curse on hit.

only 3966 in front of me :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
if theres no arctic breath threshold jewel im going to throw a pillow

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

lol which one of you just asked mathil if he reads this thread

I only asked because he mentioned he read how much mail order brides cost on a somethingawful thread :classiclol:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Since RF was mentioned earlier, what are the usual suspects for that skill? Chieftain is the only one I can think of offhand, for the fire damage and regen on endurance charges (at least I THINK that one's Chieftain, can't check right now).

I was enjoying the scorching ray & righteous fire & iron will inquisitor i was doing as my first league character, until I ripped him to a shameful mistake. Inquisitor with shield charge makes it very fun and fast. I was just shield charging through everything with RF and spinning the beam over anything that didn't die. You only need a Rise of the Phoenix and a Doon's to get going and the 3 link should keep you going forever, especially as you get closer to 1k strength. Lot's of opportunity to push the build to 10k health and end game damage is anything between 200k-400k from RF and SR each. You can turn the RF off for no regen maps and still have a strong Scorching Ray from Iron Will as well

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 22, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Were you following this "solar flare" build guide by any chance? I meant to try that last league but didn't, maybe I can give that a shot. (Already got an SR character but the trees are too divergent to reconcile with regrets.)

Nope i make my own builds. Originally it was supposed to be a SR & Searing Bond combo but found the ray -> move -> ray playstyle didn't fit with dropping SB totems, i was starved for slots, decoy totem was a better choice, RF & SR was enough damage etc. I didn't want to do a CWC build and wouldn't have the links anyway. Since it was my league starter and i wanted to use a Doon's I'd only be on a 3 link for Ray, wanted to work towards a Kaom's Heart so didn't have to worry about getting a 5 or 6 link either. It was meant to be very budget.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
alkaizer hit 100 in LHC with a crit foil, The Surrender and Red Nightmare Gladiator. You're basically doing the same thing with a few node changes to better support the Varunastra and not getting the nodes for the red nightmare until you can afford it

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

scuz posted:

Oooo, that sounds fun. I have cleave for AOE, but I'll try out melee splash and see how I like that.

Try Sunder - Melee Phys - Fortify - Concentrated Effect for your aoe skill.

As an alternative for lab (or even permanently,) run with the Sunder as your main skill and swap the double strike for a 4 link Warchief. Sunder also let's you hit from further away while your totem fights Izaro, making the fight much safer

Some combination of Warchief - Melee Phys/added fire/faster attacks/concentrated effect. Whatever gives you a higher tooltip. If you don't enjoy the playstyle you can go back to what you were doing before once you're done with Lab

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
im the slender yeti

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I kinda want to screw around with SRS but it drives me crazy that minion damage is such a pain to figure out. Apart from aping some existing build, it's hard to have an idea of whether or not an approach is gonna work until you run it up to level 70+.

Anyway, mainly I'm thinking you can get comparable damage out of fewer auras with elemental equilibrium. Leave out hatred and just focus on lit/fire damage, use vortex or freezing pulse for curse + EE, etc. I guess I'll just have to give it a spin.

The guy who makes Path of Building hinted that the next version (1.4 i think?) is out very soon and will now support all the minion gems, based on the spreadsheet that was released recently by GGG

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Path of Building 1.4.0 is out for people who want to plan minion builds. All minions plus 50 spectres ripped from the game files apparently

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
i spaced out hard reading this new DOT change post. they really didn't need to over complicate it this much. they could have only allowed ignite to be scaled by fire & burn damage, bleed by physical and bleed damage and poison by chaos and poison, plus normal generic damage over time and any skill specific poo poo like essence drain. then just poo poo the passive tree up with new bleed/poison/ignite nodes, maybe some hybrid ones and rebalance the numbers as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, that new Cloak of Defiance with Hierophant is 60% of damage taken from mana before hit. I was planning to do a permastunner Juggernaut as my 3.0 league starter but might do a mana tank Pledge caster instead

• Locked thread