Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'm playing this game too, I don't know why. Probably because it's Star Wars. Ally code 189-255-676, level 59, got a handful of purple 4* and 5* available to be borrowed.

Does anyone know how does the game select the hero which your friends can borrow, anyway? Is it random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't get why are they rising the level cap so soon after launch. I hoped I'd have time to level and gear up other characters and actually have a few to choose from after I hit 60 but nope, gotta save everything for the main squad for the grind to 70...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mooktastical posted:

Force close and restart the match when that happens

Does doing that mean you get to fight someone else? Or just resets the encounter?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Huh, never though of cheesing it like that, best I could come up with was bringing all the level 1-40s in first as cannon fodder for Sid and Lumi to waste their nukes on in the latter battles. I'll keep it in mind.

Also, is Jedi Guardian as weak as everyone says? I'd like to build a Jedi squad for fun but apart from the obligatory Luminara and JC, the only other free Jedi I have is Ahsoka, all others seem to be cash shop only.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I really don't know what the criteria for GW opponents are but 2 days ago, in the second to last fight, I ran into a full lvl 60 squad with purple 7* Sid, Lumi and Qui-Gon who wiped the floor with me, today my final fight was mostly lvl 57 blue 4*s led by Jedi Consular :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Sjonkel posted:

What should I spend my cantina energy on if I only have the first board cleared? I've gotten Chewie to 4*, but not sure where to go. Luke needs like 50 shards which will take a while, and Talia need 25. Are the other options good?

I am a big fan of Luke, with Sid leading he crits quite often and hard and hes only 4* blue. As soon as I get him to 5* and purple gear I'm gonna bring him into arena, too.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jibo posted:

E: Welp, the retreat button is gone from GW. :rip: easy GW points.

It's still there for me.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

oops wrong forum posted:

LMAO, when are we getting Jedi Luke?

Soon, along with a bunch of others, according to the datamined character list.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

LOL, pretty sure the only champ I've pulled from Bronzium is Teebo.

So far I've pulled Old Daka, that useless Tusken with many Rs and 2x Jedi consular (in the same day, even) which gave me 34 shards total. Overall, not bad, I am especially happy I didn't have to buy Old Daka (as I can't see Dark Side camgaign missions being doable currently without her)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Zotix posted:

Check out this horseshit that I face like in 90% of my galactic wars now. You can easily replace the resistance pilot for FOTP.

Holy crap, I've seen some serious poo poo in GW but this beats it all. Surely that can't be a real player?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Maul is great to have, and even at 4* in blue gear his AoE is amazing...but unless a way to farm his shard gets added, he's not worth investing to, unless you have hundreds of $$$ to drop. He also has one of the lowest HP pools and is slow, too.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That's an OP-worthy picture. Well done.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Zotix posted:

Haha, gently caress Galactic War. poo poo is getting harder and harder every day, and becoming less and less fun. Like every match now is like 6/7* FOTP, Sidious, Kylo Ren. Healing debuffs everywhere, 1 or 2 shot all characters. This is from like the 3 mission on. It ends up being like an hour to an hour and a half of unfun fuckery every day now.

Yeah, I've gotten to this point now as well and it's just bullshit, I haven't finished GW in days. I´d need double the number of characters I have now to have a chance, and all of them would have to be at least 5*. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

Suppose that's one way to encourage branching out in the number of characters...

Hmm, I think I read a dev post saying they'd look into that level/Power range for GW though, it might be set too high currently.

Sure, but sheer numbers won't help, they need to be leveld up (not cheap) and geared to be more than cannon fodder.

BadLlama posted:

What is the retreat stuff for galactic war? Is that force closing the fight or is there literally a button that says retreat that I am too retarded to see?

Press the menu button during your turn. Will cleanse buffs/debuffs on everyone and reset turn meters.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I've said this before, but why raise the cap so early after launch? Now instead of getting more characters geared up to actually have a choice, I need to save everything for the main squad....

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

xyigx posted:

I am working on making the most annoying team possible. So far my roster is hk-41, boba fett, old daka and the ewok elder. Not sure on the 5th yet, a buddy suggested teebo for stealth fuckery. Not sure who else would be as annoying.

Asajj perhaps, for the stun and dispel? Though she is slow.

My arena team is built around 'AI is dumb anyway so at least I'll make sure they hit as hard as possible'. The obligational Sid as leader, with Luminara, Luke and Resistance Pilot (I missed out on FoTP but this guy hits as hard as a train loaded with trucks too :stare: ). 5th I have yet to decide upon, obviously the best would be Lando but that is not happening. I thought about Ahsoka but I read she is bad (though maybe with Sid as leader and her natural crit rate, wouldn't she crit basically all the time?).

Can anyone recommend a good 5th?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

commish posted:

I actually believe that's the case with a lot of the game. I just hope this update today gives us more than just a level cap raise.

They said the update won't even require any download, just a game restart so yeah, most likely 70 has been the intended cap all along.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quote:

CG_AaronNemoyten wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm REALLY sorry that the GW Retreat change went live without any announcement.

The explanation for how that happened is embarrassing - we assembled patch notes from a list of data changes, but the GW Retreat change was a server change. Server releases are always handled separately from data releases from a technical perspective, but sometimes they happen to occur on the same day. We are going to have a meeting to discuss how we can GUARANTEE that important server change with player-facing consequences are not released without accompanying patch notes again.

I wrote something to add to the patch notes, but I'm going to let Jesse edit his own post in a few minutes, so until then here's the explanation:

The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron

I hope you didn't like winning GW.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I was told it's the last leader you used in that particular game mode, I don't know whether it's true or not.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
There's this guy on my server who has a 4* Dooku as leader..and Leia and FoTP in the team.

gently caress that guy :(

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
One thing I have not seen mentioned yet that should go to the OP: the order of AI actions in GW is predermined: that is, if you, let's say, lose your JC to Sid crit + Luminara assist in the first round, it will happen again if you retreat. You need to shuffle your squad (or even change leader) to prevent it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

They are handy for filling out challenge rosters, but not exactly top tier characters and you can't afford to drop the necessary gear or training droids on them to "test them out" either (and once you hit the 5-6 star area, it becomes even harder to evaluate them fairly).

This is my biggest issue with the game - instead of trying out different characters and bulding fun teams you have to funnel everything to your Sid/Phasma/whatnot because other characters are either useless (hello Mob Enforcer), only farmable via chromium - or potentially fun, but how to find out when it takes so much resources to bring them up to par...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I did it, I leveled and epic geared a 2* Jedi Knight Guardian.

I have no regrets

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

randombattle posted:

Why not farm shards for him to max him out all the way? He's pretty decent with how quickly he can refresh abilities.

I plan to but they only drop in one hard mode battle and from cantina tokens which accumulate dreadfully slow, compared to GW and arena.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I think I need to drop out of top 100 in arena, the few extra gems and marks are not worth the difficulty increase of GW.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pimpmust posted:

What is up with all those Mol Eliza's? Bots?

And how does arena rank influence GW other than shipments=more power rating?

Mol Eliza is apparently the default player name.

As for GW, there's a dev active on Reddit:

quote:

Galactic War matchmaking is based on your Power and your performance in the Arena. Who you're matched against is relative to you. Irrespective of where we pull players from, they're determined based on your performance.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

oops wrong forum posted:

I seriously question this. I would agree that your power rating matters, but not Arena performance. Unlike guys like Zotix who get all 7* max FOTP Leia etc. teams, I tend to have fairly easy GWs, almost always cookie-cutter Sid/Lumi/Dooku teams, which while annoying are not the OP stuff high-level Arena teams use. My Arena team is around 20K and I place top 10 every single day, with top 5s about half of those times. If Arena performance really mattered I should be hitting those whale teams but have never encountered one. I THINK I may have fought a Poe once or twice, but no Qui-Gons, no Leias, no FOTPs.

That's a dev quote so unless he's lying or misinformed, it's probably true. I tested it today and it seemed to work actually. I was halfway through GW, then I purpusefully dropped to 140ish in arena with a squad nearly 3k power less than my main and I got much weaker opponents for the second half of GW. Definitely worth it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

oops wrong forum posted:

The devs say things that end up not being true. One on the main forums said the RNG for GW wasn't predetermined and got blown out of the water by half the forum, and came back later and said he was wrong. And I thought the GW teams were all determined the moment you opened a GW?

I don't know. Like I said, I only tested it today, could have been a fluke.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Malgrin posted:

Depending on how much R. Pilot scales going into 5 and 6 stars, I may switch tracks to Phasma.

Mine is 5* gear VII and is by far the hardest hitter on my team, his basic can crit for 4.5k, special for 6k. FoTP is better still, but RP is much easily available.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Munkaboo posted:

At what point did you all switch into using GW points to get resistance pilot? After Lumi hits 6?

Correct. I do buy her shards as well though every other day or so, she definitely is worth maxing out.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Fat Samurai posted:

Just began, and not saving the premium currency to buy the biggest gacha machine pull is going against all my instincts. What do you get for your crystals? Just components? Not enough shards to make it worthwhile?

It's completely random what you'll get, that's the problem - you might get a good character that will carry you for quite a while (happened to me when I pulled Darth Maul out of the one 4pack I bought) or just a bunch of random shards that won't get you anywhere.

And even if you do get a good character, if he is only farmable from chromiums, he's going to be pretty worthless after a while unless you drop hundreds more on packs.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

From the list of known issue:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I'm supposed to be getting points when ya'll use my super leveled Palpatine?

I suspected for quite a while this was the case.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Today in GW I faced a guy with a 7 star, level 62 Ugnaught. If this doesn't prove the GW opponents are artifically generated, I don't know what else would.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Syrinxx posted:

Also I assume none of these "Limited" offers are worth it even for someone willing to drop a bit of money? Windu for $40, HK-47 for $25

The only limited pack I regret not buying is Barris, just for the easy GW clear she pretty much guarantees. But it was like 60 dollars and I was not sure I'd like the game enough to drop that kind of cash and now it's gone. (And EA is 60 dollars poorer for I'd buy it even now, given the option.)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I need about 5 million credits to promote Sid and Lumi and Luke to 7* and get Qui Gon to level 65

:negative:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I met a Kylo Ren just like that one you are describing today and the only way to deal with him was to target him first and get lucky crits from Luke and Resistance Pilot, twoshotting him. Any other strategy I tried lead to losing characters.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Zotix posted:

My sid is 67 7* g8 4p

2.5k damage is weak at that point when some characters are doing 4.5k non crit non buffed.

Agreed. He is still very good to have for GW with his sustain and speed though.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mooktastical posted:

Just think, QGJ gives the same buff when he removes enemy buffs, and can call in teammates to attack at +75% damage every other turn. Your GW is about to get real loving silly.

Yeah, I thought that assist call ability was his ult with like 5 rounds cooldown, turns out he can use it every other turn.:stare: Even at 2* I already can't imagine not having him in GW.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Credits :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I wouldn't do that, who knows how exactly the shard exchange is going to work.

• Locked thread