Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gohmak posted:

I watched ROTS yesterday and still hated it the most out of the PT. I just don't buy the fall and everything else was overdone.

It's pretty simple logic really. Guy loves his wife, guy gets a vision about his wife dying (and his previous one about his mom dying came true), guy learns that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, guy finds out his boss is going to kill the only Sith left in the galaxy.

A ton of people would at least consider stopping the Sith lord from dying, especially when the executioner is himself violating the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yes, that well known law where you can't kill a guy who's actively trying to murder you with lightning.

Guy was subdued (at least from Anakin's perspective).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Christ, the first new Star Wars film in over a decade is coming out in 3 days and we're still arguing about the prequels.

Your dream is dead, I guess you have to go away. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrMojok posted:

I keep envisioning Sith Lord #287 or whatever going, "I've taught my apprentice almost everything I know. Should I teach him that last bit? I know the previous 286 apprentices killed, or tried to kill their master, but I have a really special feeling about mine. Things will be different this time"

Sith Lords are apparently like that alcoholic father who's never really proud of you unless you have the stones to actually stand up to them.

Except in this case standing up means killing them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Race Realists posted:

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:

Going by the MCU it's not that much of a stretch.

We'll see if the MCU problems are limited to Marvel, though. Disney's animation stuff is usually fairly interesting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

It's because kids were going apeshit for Lord of the Rings and the prequels were distant second bananas two out of three times.

LOTR and the PT were only in theaters for one year together (2002), and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the same time of year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nerdbot posted:

Still praying for Episode 7 to have the revelation that Mace Windu survived and lived on whatever Coruscant's surface looks like as a handless hobo for like 60 years. Like one of those WWII vets who got stranded on an island and still wants to kill the Japanese.

In the previous thread, someone posted a Lucas interview where he said verbatim that this line of thinking is why he had Maul cut in half so the audience knows he's dead and gone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pops Mgee posted:

And then Lucas brought him back anyways in the cartoon.

More like he said "sure, why not, it's not like normal people will care".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/15/threats-made-to-spoil-star-wars-the-force-awakens-unless-demands-are-met/

Are these people serious? Why would they want to spoil the movie for everyone just because their precious EU is no longer relevant. I guess this means I'll be staying away from anything Star Wars related on Facebook, etc..

Better not go to GBS right now either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frackie Robinson posted:

I can't imagine something happening in the movie that hasn't been speculated on ad nauseum for the past 10 months anyway.

Spoiling the spoilers: you are correct, though I won't say which speculated parts exactly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jose Oquendo posted:

I want Zack Snyder to direct a Star Wars movie.

The Clone Wars, done in the style of 300.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Here's the thing, the stupid line alone is meaningless and throwaway on its own. But that line happens during one of the ugliest and most cringe inducing scenes in the entire prequel trilogy. Have I seen worse? Sure. But this is Star Wars and if you're gonna have a "scene" as ugly as that one, maybe just make sure the dialogue makes sense.

Ah yes, the classic "it matters more because I dislike the movie" defense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Porkface posted:

When is the earliest the general public is going to able to actually see the movie to spoil it?

Thursday evening, I think around 8pm? so 10pm or so when it gets out.

e: According to my theater they have a 7pm Thursday showing and the movie is about 135 minutes long. So round that up a little, say about 9:30 is when you should expect spoilers.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 16, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prussian advisor posted:

Quick request:

I am going to see Force Awakens tomorrow night with someone who has never seen the original films. Needless to say there isn't enough time to watch the originals between then and now. Is there any sort of YouTube or video primer this thread would recommend to get her up to speed without burning her out on the material itself?

I skimmed this but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0JNdAN_88

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lampsacus posted:

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

Probably should wait about 48 hours.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

That's as good as a J.J. Abrams movie gets though. That's his ceiling as a director and he's never going to take the risk of going beyond that. A J.J. Abrams movie will always be entertaining yet ultimately forgettable.

People seem to remember ST09 to this day. Maybe forgettable isn't a terrible thing in that light.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

I've seen the film and (not spoiling anything here) I was rather disappointed with the soundtrack. There was nothing really new and memorable in the music. Both the OT and the PT had very distinct music that stuck with me long afterwards. There was nothing like that in this latest movie. I had to check IMDB to confirm that John Williams actually scored this movie. It feels like all he did was recycle a few cues from the OT, and for that they could have hired any composer.

Surprising, a film that appears to pander to people's childhood would not be very original.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toops posted:

I can't decide what I want more:
  a. An incredible, timeless Star Wars film
  b. Schadenfreudgasm watching billions of nerds drown in rage-tears

Help me SA. You're my only hope.

e: I want the shadenfreude

It can be both, and probably will be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nail Rat posted:

The EU was clearly only allowed to run rampant with the whims of bad genre writers because they never intended to actually make any post-ROTJ movies. That changed when Disney bought the company and assets.

Yeah, and not just post-OT stuff either. That's the whole reason behind the levels of canon - it's a way for Lucas to say "look you can do your thing but remember that I don't have to give a gently caress about any of it".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComposerGuy posted:

For reference, Metacritic has VII at an 81

Into Darkness settled on a 72

And Empire Strikes Back has a 79. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

-Blackadder- posted:

Seems like peoples biggest fear about TFA's quality isn't that it will be terrible, but that it will be safe, milquetoast, and passable.

I have to admit Abrams' Star Trek films felt like they were above average but largely generic sci-fi action films with a Star Trek re-skin so I'm hoping he does something a bit more interesting with TFA, but as someone else already mentioned "above average but largely generic" may very well be Abrams' ceiling as far as director skills go. I find him to be mostly overrated, but who else could they have got to helm the project? At least we didn't get stuck with even more generic milquetoast directors like Len Wiseman or Brett Ratner. My fantasy director would of course have been James Cameron, since you know, no matter what happens, it's going to be something truly amazing, but otherwise I can't really think of anyone else.

Zach Snyder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hammerstein posted:

We cannot thank Abrams enough for wiping out the poo poo stain of the EU in one swift superlaser blast.

Allow me to remind you:

Going by the spoilers They're doing basically the same plot as that book, i.e. finding an artifact from a famous Jedi and treasuring it for Reasons. Except in this case it's ~~Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber~~ instead of the glove.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This review makes the movie sound exactly like what I was worried it would become:

quote:

The result is a movie that’s awestruck, warmhearted, good-humored—and conspicuously prefabricated, without a jolt of spontaneity or reckless impulse anywhere in its sealed-up universe

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-pre-fab-star-wars-the-force-awakens

(no spoilers except a brief summary of the opening text crawl)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Porkface posted:

Why are spoilers allowed in this thread when theres a perfectly good spoiler thread?

Because the spoiler thread is about upcoming events, and the film has been released in many parts of the world now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

Well, then the spoiler thread is irrelevant, now, isn't it?

Until we get Episode 8/ Rogue One/etc news, maybe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfanikf posted:

TPM cg ages horrible on small screens too. The worst offenders are battle scenes where the land has no detail and the sky looks oddly static.

You're right that that is horrible CGI because it isn't CGI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfanikf posted:

I'm referring to interactions between the combatants and the landscape, not that the land and sky are CGI.

Oh, apologies, because some people thought the land actually was CGI ("It's like a Windows XP background!") .

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShineDog posted:

I always figured the 60fps issues in the hobbit came down to both CG elements and where the real interacted with the imaginary, and that extra temporal resolution allowed your eye, your subconcious, to quietly clue into the fact that the physics aren't QUITE right on the way the monster moves around, that the characters are sliding a little as they move. 24fps hides a lot of that detail from you, and it hides a lot of the wrongness. It's very hard to actually describe the where and why on watching it though.

Nah, me and other people found it was weird even when it was just people in costumes running down a hallway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sadly apparently he really hasn't been able to do it for a while now.

I know his Joker voice died like five years ago. :smith:

When he played the Trickster in the new Flash show it was very Joker-esque still (since that's where he got the style in the first place).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teagone posted:

The design of his character screams "I'M A loving BADASS"

And he seems to have the whole Revenge hateboner thing without thinking it all the way through.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mitchicon posted:

The Republic has a peace treaty with the FO. Most worlds of the Republic are exhausted after decades of intergalactic war. Yet, the Republic's government understands that the FO is still a danger and bankrolls a paramilitary group, the Resistance, to continue the fight.

That sounds like an awful lot of politics for a whiz bang space adventure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qbert posted:

Weren't all the storm troopers in the original trilogy clones as well?

No, they were mostly cycled out by then, both because they aged at a rapid rate and because by then 20 years have gone by and you have middle aged soldiers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Why was the beginning on Jakku and not on Tatooine, when Jakku is just Tatooine with a funnier name (and no double-sun that I could see, which means it is automatically the worse planet)?

Why would you want to artificially keep the universe small? It's like that weird prequel debate about why Naboo wasn't just Alderaan. Although in that case , the answer would be "because people would be cheering for the Empire because hurr Jar Jar".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.

So it really is a retread of ANH.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, finally got around to seeing this. I think the thread consensus was that the first half was better, but I disagree. The first half is way too frantic, and there's very little time you actually get to breathe. Everything either has a breakneck pace or it feels claustrophobic from all the close up shots.

Aside from the totally unnecessary giant Death Star plot which should have been saved for another movie, we actually got some nice interactions between the cast in the second half (especially Han & Leia), and the action actually feels like it's understandable. Also everything on Luke's island is utterly beautiful.

Also interesting shot that quotes the Prequels: I liked that the last shot of Kylo Ren was reminiscent of Anakin left to die on the beach of the lava planet, complete with actual lava welling up.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Rey is Luke's daughter, isn't she?

I don't know how you could assume any differently.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

Because it'd be a huge dick move to abandon her on Jakku, which is the worst planet in the galaxy. And he's not that much of a dick.

It kind of quotes Episode 3, and it makes sense if his apprentice that killed everyone is still roaming around.

Speaking of which, what's up with Snoke? it's hard to imagine he would exist without the Emperor's permission (and Palpatine was a power greedy rear end in a top hat so that seems unlikely).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MonikaTSarn posted:

This big role also explains a mystery at the end of the movie I've seen questioned here, and a even bigger mystery thats mostly just accepted as is.

Why did R2D2 wake up at the end to reveal where Luke is ? I think that is explained by the reason that Luke has gone into hiding in the first place.
He simply cannot confront Kylo Ren while he has still a chance to be redeemed, there can be no good outcome of it. He cannot kill the son of his sister and best friend ! He has no chance to redeem him, as Leia pointed out. There is only one person who can do that: Han Solo. But he has been running away from that responsibility.
Once that chance has come and passed, and R2D2 learns that Han Solo is dead, Luke can come back.
And so the whole section of the movie dealing with the starkiller is not a distraction from the search for Luke, it is essential.

That part of the movie is essential, but it's not essential for it to be on a planet destroying super-weapon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
One thing that annoyed me about everything on Jakku is that we didn't get a "Binary Sunset" sort of moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

This clip is just 30 seconds long, but it hammers in Luke's frustration and seeming impotence at actually leaving his home. Everything with Rey just felt like "you know the story, we're giving you the highlights".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kids are in school on Friday at 9am.

It is the week before Christmas though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Hyperspace travel has always been instantaneous in Star Wars. The only space travel of any consequence was Han and Leia flying from the Anoat Asteroid Field to Bespin; because they did it at sublight speeds.

There was the trip to Alderaan right after the Death Star blew it up.

• Locked thread