Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We watched TFA tonight and man, every time I watch it I swear the dialogue gets worse. Half of it seems like sentence fragments (I'm sure I'm exaggerating), and the coherent bits aren't much better. It's all simple sentences, and lots of it is exposition. I can't believe anyone would both rag on the prequels for the writing, and be happy with this.

I mean, it's fun, and everything after Han shouting out Ben's name elevates the rest of it, but let's not kid ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

Battle droids are great, but their ROTS/Clone Wars voices are not. The deadpan they have in TPM and AOTC is funny in itself ("My legs aren't working, I must need maintenance"), giving them "wacky" voices just feels like gilding the lily.

Got to disagree with this, although it took me a little while to come to this conclusion, but the battle droids in especially the Clone Wars are hilarious. I appreciate the deadpan, but they have way more personality later on. I really began to appreciate them after my 7-year-old niece began talking into box fans to get the droid voice going.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

There was a cut subplot in Attack of the Clones where it's revealed during the arena battle that the battle droids are no longer dependent on a control ship to operate (there were going to be scenes intercut of Ki-Adi-Mundi storming a droid control ship in space with a team of Jedi and manually attempting to shut the droids down). I think the droids of TCW are kind of reflective of the idea that the battle droids have become more quirky and independent as a result. I think there's even a line in TCW where one of the battle droids is complaining about how dumb the older models are, while right behind him outside a window Jedi and clones are scaling the fortress he's in command of.

I remember one being all self-congratulatory with his fellows that they're independent thinkers unlike the old models, and they all start replying in unison, "Roger roger."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

This is irrelevant because I was talking specifically about Destroyer Droids.

I thought I heard one of them scream in terror as it's about to be killed in the arena battle in AOTC, right at the end before they move to the wider battle, but I could be misremembering.

I mean clearly they are intelligent in some fashion, at least as much as, say, sheepdogs. They're some of the very few droids that aren't shown onscreen speaking or otherwise exhibiting unambiguous personhood, it's true, but I think it's more reasonable to assume they are not an exception.

Even if they aren't persons, what's your point though?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Serf posted:

It's sorta like how humans work. If even a single one of them is a person, then they all are. There are plenty of background characters, both human and alien, who have about as much personality and characterization as a rolly droid but we don't question whether they are people.

Guy in Cloud City running from the Empire carrying an ice cream maker: not a person, because the only thing we see him doing is what any animal would do, fleeing in fear. He doesn't speak or exhibit any higher-order intelligence.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

The difference is the droidekdas don't look or act like anything resembling a person. They're just a tool.

Let's say you're correct... again, what's your point? That this specific model of droids does not include personhood? So what? Almost all the rest of the droids we see, at least by type, do. Threepio (thus protocol droids), Artoo (thus astromechs), EV-9D9 and the droids in her BDSM dungeon, the battle droids (including super battle droids in ROTS), etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

Well not really. Droids are shown varying degrees of intelligence. There's no real consistency so you can throw the whole thing out.

Anyway, this whole argument is pointless because the droid thing isn't explored much and doesn't reach a satisfactory conclusion. Even if I accept what your peddling (and I don't) it's not particularly interesting and doesn't improve the films one bit.

I know you guys are desperate to add some thematic layers to the prequels so you can justify enjoying them, but this is about the worst way to go about it.

I dont think we're even on that level of discussion. This is like remedial comprehension of super basic storytelling. X in a story talks and makes decisions. Is X a character? If not, are we even speaking the same language, because words must mean different things to you and me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Vader is basically Spartacus.

I'm Darth Vader.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

You know what, jivjov? You're all right.

No, actually occasionally even he is incorrect about something.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I'm aware those and it's pretty cool. I'm super lazy though and it was sort of an impulse buy and I think I can just live with the parts Lucas crapped on.

I haven't got to Jedi yet though and that one is still probably gonna piss me off lol. I'm still yet to witness The ghosts getting replaced by people from the prequels, and unfortunately I remember how bad that dance party in Jabbas palace was.

The ghosts are whatever, Hayden is on screen for like 5 seconds. The real good thing about Jedi SE is the new celebration theme on Endor, which is about 1,000 times better than the original.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

This is negated by the Jabba's Palace dance number, though.

You'll notice I didn't mention that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I could see them putting out a limited edition super deluxe box set with originals and SEs together and charge an arm and a leg for it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Depends on what you mean by "remastered" at that point. Do I think it'll be cleaned up for a pristine-looking Blu-ray, yes. Do I think it'll have all the matte boxes and other imperfections, I don't know. I guess even the current SE Blu-rays still have some of that, so I have no idea what form it would take. I don't think I want to get into raw speculation, but there is probably at least a viable niche market for such a product in one form or another, and I don't know anything about the economic calculations involved, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed internally at least.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

You've described the problem, everyone has their own idea of what the idea version of "the originals" should be. Some want completely untouched negatives, some want the matte lines touched up, some want basically the SE but without scenes X,Y, and Z.

Not that it's really a business problem, because we know the fans will buy poo poo out of whatever they decide to release. They could release three different sets and people would buy all three just because Star Wars.

I wonder if you could get a branching menu to work with that many options. The untouched negatives would probably need to be on their own disc, but anything remastered could have 3-4 choices and you just go down the Blu-ray menu ticking off whatever you want. Does the Blu-ray format support that kind of thing or is it just like A/B?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

UmOk posted:

About 99% sure that was Lucas trolling you.

Actually I hadn't seen the Blu-ray SE until quite recently, and from all the fan outrage I had expected it to be way worse than it is. I actually thought it kind of worked, but maybe I've walked too far down the dark side path of seeing the prequels as good movies.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

I gotta be honest, I've never been able to wrap my head around this widespread notion that Jedi Rocks is somehow the worst song ever but Lapti Nek is just the tits.

Disco is an abomination.

I gotta be honest, I like Lapti Nek because it's disco.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RedSpider posted:

I'm not Tezzor.

That's just what Tezzor would say. Proof that you are indeed Tezzor.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

You're overthinking this. People rightfully want to see the OT untarnished by awful and bewildering changes. This isn't the complicated.

It's so weird that you guys defend every single thing the guy does. Everything. He can do no wrong. It's loving embarrassing.

Fanboys indeed.

I don't think they're so much defending the actual changes, as Lucas's right as the author to make those changes regardless of whether you, or they, like them. I mean some are doing both.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Covok posted:

Anyway, which is everyone's favorite aspect of Star Wars? The Force, smugglers and bounty hunters, the rebellion, etc?

Those are all good, but John Williams's score is what does it for me. If you mean within the movie universe then probably lightsabers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

I don't think you're being paid of course but I do think certain posters give the prequels a veneer of depth and malleable people have really latched onto that.

Darth Malleable

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Covok posted:

The previous directors took the film in a direction that Disney didn't like. Apparently the lead actor said the movie was turning into Ace Ventura Pet Detective tonally. The movie was meant to be a spaghetti western when it came to tone. Disney intervened and suggested reshoots to return the film to the script they were told to adapt. The director's refused and were let go. Ron Howard is someone Lucas wanted for episode one so I suppose they decided he'd be a good replacement director.

Just one point of clarification, from what I understand at least it was Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm, not Disney proper, who made the call. From what I have read, the individual studios like Marvel and Lucasfilm have a good deal of autonomy in matters such as this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

UmOk posted:

I watched my five children burn to death in an fire in 1999. The skin blistering and crisping off their tiny bodies as they screamed in agony was more entertaining then TPM.

RIP Little Bastards

RIP Star Warp

Sounds like you would really enjoy Revenge of the Sith.

Yaws posted:

If someone states they like the prequels they almost certainly grew up with them. It's the only thing that makes sense.

No it isn't. They could just not hold the OT up on an impossible nostalgia pedestal, or they could appreciate movies in different ways than you do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

When Return of the Jedi is on, it's very on. But it doesn't cohere. These plot threads do not form a sweater.

Your first sentence is why I can't ever say RotJ is the worst Star Wars movie. Parts of the movie are the best the franchise has to offer, even if the rest of it is subpar. Once the Rebels enter the shield generator I'd be hard pressed to suggest improvements to the rest of the movie, especially the space battle and throne room, with the exception of the lightsaber choreography.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If I ever made a movie I'd be thrilled to death if it were as good as the worst Star Wars movie.

Sometimes I feel like, even though it was such a milestone and set the stage for them all, and is great, the original is the worst one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I care.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Kylo's basically the same character as Anakin, though not as interesting since he's being influenced by the bad guys, while Anakin was being influenced by the Jedi.

There's a slight flaw in this contrast of yours. Ok, the Jedi aren't "the" bad guys, but they are bad.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Need I mention that this is not too many years after Richard Nixon tried to argue that whether or not something is legal depends on whether the President says it is.

"My Lord... is that... legal?"

"I will make it legal."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Much love, SMG, but calling Palpatine "cool" is a sign you've officially lost touch with what "cool" is.

wtf, Palpatine owns.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr President posted:

you know at first I wanted all new villains for this trilogy but after seeing the garbage characters they created in TFA I would absolutely love if they somehow brought Palpatine back. Either as a force ghost, as Snokes true identity, or as someone who has been in the background pulling the strings the whole time. It would be so satisfying.

Ghost Palpatine played by Ian McDiarmid would unironically be awesome. He began as a figurative phantom menace, then literally becomes one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

I'll make a new thread later today after work.

Try to spell Millennial right this time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

This thread seems fine now, though. Did something happen to fix it?

I can't even get to the most recent page on the spoiler thread.

I think it rolls depending on how many posts are on the last page. If the post counter is off then it needs several extra posts for the page counter to catch up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Gonna post the new thread after the trailer drops, taking name suggestions because I'm not good at thread titles.

Remember, it'll serve as the general Star Wars thread, not just as a Last Jedi thread.

Star Wars: The Big Binks Theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns

• Locked thread