Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I have to admit, the "well, she won't be sailing to Westeros any time soon" line was pretty great.

Also I guess the masters have their own twenty good men which is why they've been practically unbeatable.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It was more consistent/logical when D&D were following the books. Now they've got to come up with stuff on their own, and this is what we get.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 25, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having just rewatched seasons 1-3 over the past week I can resoundingly say that you are wrong.

By sheer coincidence:

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 25, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

- How do the logistics work for the Tristane assassination? Not only does the choice of weapons make no sense but how did the Sand Snakes get on board and why did Jamie just let a vary valuable hostage sit alone on the ship?

I think it's actually Tristan's ship, crewed by Dornishmen (since Jaime and Bronn snuck into Dorne), so maybe he was smart enough not to go to a Lannister city all on his own.

I was pretty sure the sand Snakes stayed in Dorne though. How they managed to get on the ship is a mystery.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe he thought it would be best to let Jaime take Myrcella home to be buried. Or if he was in some sort of emotional stupor, he might have just locked himself in his room and let Jaime, as the next highest ranking guy there, take command.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Didn't they spear Ned in the leg? I'm specifically talking about the bloody sword/spear suddenly emerging through the face or the mouth or the throat.

Since they couldn't kill Ned just yet, a spear through the leg is an ok compromise.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 25, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate that guy for leaving he was goddamn perfect.

I thought they were having problems with him, it's hearsay, but in one of the previous threads someone said he kept trying to inflate his role to appear more important. He was too difficult to work with and it wasn't worth worth keeping him since it was a minor role.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

canepazzo posted:

What I think they are aiming for (with mixed results) is a recurring theme:

Ellaria/The Sand Snakes think they can do better than the Martells, murder them, and take over, with (presumably) catastrophic consequences;

Based on the trailer / spoilers, Ramsay thinks he can do better than Roose, likely murders him, takes over, with (presumably) catastrophic consequences;

Last season, Thorne thinks he can do better than Jon Snow, etc. catastrophic consequences.

Hubris biting people in the rear end is a recurring theme in Asoiaf after all.

So basically everyone is the new old Cersei.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
We only ever saw three to begin with - spear, whip and knife. Spear ad whip were one the ship, knife stayed in Dorne and knifed Areo in the back.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It's actually kinda remarkable that the biggest TV show has no 20-40yr old male protagonist for at least a few episodes. Or am I forgetting someone? I probably am.

I was going to say Jaime but it turns out NCW is 45. Peter Dinklage is 46, he looked so much younger in the first season though. I always thought he was in his mid-20s/early 30s to be honest.

Kit Harington is 29, he doesn't really count for the last episode I guess.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 26, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

-I liked Jaime's little "gently caress everyone" speech. I assume he's gonna head for the Riverlands and ditch Cersei and Tommen in their precarious situation, and I have no idea how that'll happen, but in a vacuum, it's a fine scene.

I don't disagree with your other points, but Jaime was shown to be facing off against the High Sparrow and his followers in the trailers, so it looks like the Riverlands campaign has been called off.

e; The trailer for the next episode shows Cersei and Robert Strong going against a bunch of Lannister guards too, disobeying the king's orders (whatever those are), so it looks like Cersei is going for some sort of power grab. Most likely it will make things worse since it looks like she's going to starts killing Lannister soldiers.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 26, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Also, after Robb died, there really wasn't anyone viewers could hang their hopes on the get justice against the Lannisters, especially Tywin. He was someone people could root for.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
What happened to Kevan lannister? I think he was there when Cersei competed her walk of shame, but is he still around King's Landing? He's doesn't have any season 6 credits on IMDB in any case, and if Jaime is sticking around they might not really need him.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Huh, I thought they just couldn't give out the full cast credits to avoid spoilers. e: Like, episode two shows Cersei, Jaime and Margaery, but not Tommen or Mace.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 27, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
The guy who played Barristan wanted to stay on, and seemed to really like his character. He actually told D&D that killing Barristan off the way they did made no sense and was a mistake, and asked if he could stay on. They told him no, then they went on a q&a session and made fun of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvVluNxujc (at 1h13m12s)

Narmi fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 27, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I'd love it if it turns out Ellaria severely overestimated her popularity and it turns out most of Dorne doesn't give a drat that Oberyn got himself killed but actually liked a competent ruler who tried to placed the peace and safety of his people over his desire for vengeance. Or if most of the people she expected to follow her took an issue with killing your brother-in law and nephew.

Kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWedZUEMgH0&t=585s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED66yqjstU4&t=60s

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 27, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
If/when GRRM dies TWoW and ADoS die with him.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

B-Hard posted:

It's not an actor's place to question the writing, so I see where D&D are coming from from a professional standpoint. That being said, he was right and may as well be a writer on the show. Also, them joking about him like that is lovely.

I half agree - I think that he has the right (and was right) to give his opinion to the writers, but he shouldn't have gone off publicly on them. Though I can understand that a lot of people had a problem with his death so he was probably asked that a lot and decided to come clean about how he felt.

Both parties should have kept the exchange behind the scenes, but D&D joking about killing him off makes them look worse IMO.

e: Kit Harington going from looking like he was having fun to looking awkward when they said that kind of sums up the exchange.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, in the books Jon is actually grateful that he doesn't know who killed Ygritte because he knows he'll never be able to forgive the dude.

Instead he makes Ollie his squire and tries to be his friend/mentor.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

edit: do they know Littlefinger arranged the Bolton marriage?

I don't think so. Given that it doesn't make sense for him to expose a plot he orchestrated at the huge risk to implicating himself for treason on several counts, they probably just figured he found out about it somehow.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

It really seems to me that GRRM just made one too many Stark kids. Fiveish (counting Jon Snow) was already a lot to try to give important plotlines to.

Rickon always seemed more of a plot device used for Davos to potentially win over Manderly. I don't think he even says anything in the books, and had maybe two lines in the show (which the actor actually delivered surprisingly well).

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

tadashi posted:

I'm guessing there will be some sort of Rickon sighting soon because Sansa has to pass The Last Hearth, where Bran sent his brother and Osha, on her way to The Wall. It seems crazy not to use that. The Umbers are also the only house on the show who were loyal to the Starks and weren't at the Red Wedding and didn't get decimated during the war or by Boltons or Greyjoys. They haven't been on the show since S2, though, so who knows.

I think Smalljon was cast.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Love Crime posted:

Somebody explain the ME3 ending poo poo because I keep seeing people talk about how bad it was but I don't know anything about the games?

IIRC the main complaint was that the choices you made during the course of the game/series had little to no effect on the ending. At the end, after defeating the final boss, you could choose what to do with the Crucible (this kind of giant superweapon), which would then give you the red, blue or green ending depending on your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjoorZo1IlE

Cue an ending with a voiceover, and that was basically it. It felt rushed/unfinished, and was disappointing since it didn't really give closure to a series that people had started playing almost five years ago (you could import your saves from the previous game so the choices you made had an impact on the story). BioWare ended up releasing an extended ending to try and satisfy people, but the damage had already been done.

e: Personally I didn't really have a problem because I waited a few years after it came out and payed a lot less (just checked, $11 CAD, which included the "Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade") for it and got the "fixed" ending, the game's reputation comes from people who bought it on release for $60 and had to deal with the above. It also had day 1 DLC.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 30, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Also worth pointing out, when a mass relay explodes (and they all do in the original ending) it kills all life around it, so regardless of what ending you picked you ended up sterilizing the galaxy.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

bobjr posted:

Doesn't Roose say he would have if he wasn't against killing family? Like he even admits Ramsay hosed everything up for him in the long run.

quote:

Ramsay killed him. A sickness of the bowels, Maester Uthor says, but I say poison. In the Vale, Domeric had enjoyed the company of Redfort’s sons. He wanted a brother by his side, so he rode up the Weeping Water to seek my bastard out. I forbade it, but Domeric was a man grown and thought that he knew better than his father. Now his bones lie beneath the Dreadfort with the bones of his brothers, who died still in the cradle, and I am left with Ramsay. Tell me, my lord … if the kinslayer is accursed, what is a father to do when one son slays another?

He tells Theon that Ramsay is his last and only choice, that a child-lord would be the ruin of his house even if he were to get fat Walda pregnant, so he's just trying to make do with what he has.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I can understand Ramsay knifing Roose, his biggest goal is to win his father's approval, but his next biggest goal is to be the lord of House Bolton, and that's not going to happen with a legitimate son.

I'm just surprised Roose would let Ramsay get the best of him.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 30, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe it's Kevan, if he tries to stop/reason with Cersei.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Well,

feeding a newborn baby to the dogs is probably their latest attempt to shock the audience. If you already had castration, rape, flaying and hunting humans, it's the only logical consequence really.

Didn't they show Slynt stabbing a baby?

e: re-watched the scene, and the cut away for obvious reasons, but there was some definite baby stabbing going on.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It was a young boy, they tossed him into the bay then held him underwater to drown him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCafpw1ns3U&t=93s

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Why would the Umbers align with Ramsay? They're supposed to be 100% Stark loyalists.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

50%, half of them are with the Boltons so the don't execute the Greatjon and the other half are with Stannis.

That's true, I forgot about him. I think it was also partly because they thought Roose had the last Stark.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Didn't Robb cut off that umber's head because he was a dickwad?

also six years or whatever and finally I get to see jon battle rez'd. finally.

Grey Wind bit off some of the Greatjon's fingers because he pulled a knife on Robb at dinner. But that just impressed him, the guy was the first to go "King in the North" after Ned died.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

Which would be dumber? Theon going home to the family that disowned him, which he realized was never his real family during a very emotional scene, or Theon returning to Winterfell, the place he realized was his real home, with a scheme to undermine the Boltons, or hoping to sacrifice himself to save Sansa?

Obviously he's gonna do the former.

Even if Sansa stands up for him, Theon will always be known as the guy who betrayed his adopted family. He's right that even if he takes the black he won't find redemption. If he returns to winterfel the Northmen will hate him and he'll always be reminded of what he lost.

Plus his sister did try and rescue him. He might just want to see the one person who cared enough to risk their life to try and save him.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain why one of the stab wounds on Jon is curved? It looks almost like a semicricle.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

They really just don't give a poo poo about the fight scenes any more, do they? It's just full on cheese.

I mean, I've never really felt the fighting was even that good on the show, but there was at least a time when it had a certain brutal and gritty impact to it that seems to have been lost. Now it's just twirling Sand Snakes and Drizzt.

There were some pretty good fight scenes, I remember reading a few years ago that the show had its own weapons trainers for the cast. They Would learn how to properly wield swords, spears, axes, etc. to make it look believable.

Now they have dual-wielding swords and whips.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

In the book I believe Asha wants to find Theon since Theon has the stronger claim than Euron right?

She wants to bring back Theon so he can claim the result of the kingsmoot is nul and void because they held it without him. There was another guy who did the same thing, when the old king died the new guy was elected and immediately started killing anyone who could oppose his claim, and by the time the true heir got back everyone hated him and rose up against him.

So even though people are starting to hate Euron for being crazy, he's still their king, but if Theon were to come back, with the actual heir they would be justified in dethroning him.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

One idea I had is, Karstark is still alive, right? He wasn't at the red wedding? What if Ramsay promised to his son that he'd help him off old man Karstark after they finished Roose?

"we need new blood in the north" he says. Could refer to killing off the old generation entirely. Its a guess but it would kinda fit?

The old Lord Karstark is dead, Robb executed him for killing the Lannister kids. His son would now be the new lord.

And he's referring to killing off all the Starks, but it's also a dig at Roose since he was apparently in on the plot to kill him.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
In the books, the uncle backs Stannis because the actual heir to Karhold is held captive by the Lannisters, and he wants the guy executed. He plans on marrying the daughter (who is next in line) to his son so that he becomes the new Lord, since at that point he's only the castellan.

He also plans on betraying Stannis and tries to convince him to attack the Dreadfort until Jon convinces him not too, then plans on switching sides later so Stannis gets caught between two opposing armies when the Boltons/Freys arrive.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Changing the subject a bit, I suppose now Jaqen will just return Arya's vision and she will get on with her training, with no cat warging or anything? That's was pretty boring if that was really all her blind training, getting beaten up twice by the girl

I don't think so, she's still going to have to learn to "sense" danger and anticipate her opponent's moves, it's just now her training is going to be kicked up a notch.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
They did do a pretty good job with the Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Stannis is uncompromising in certain situations, compromises in others. He burns Mance even though Jon objects because Mance is a traitor, and attacked the Wall, and must be punished in a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" kind of way. At the same time, he's open to letting the wildlings through provided they don't go on a rampage.

I'm pretty sure he would have backed Renly too if it weren't for that peach.

• Locked thread