Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Some enterprising people had the bright idea to start filling out FOIA requests for the advance screeners Obama got to see. Probably won't work, and if it did it probably wouldn't be processed even by the 10th episode, but you never know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

They must have stopped at some point to get the coffin.

What coffin? There was a gold shroud. Even if they needed a coffin, ancient sailing ships carry timber for repairs.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah he's definitely going back to Winterfell.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
That was a cool episode. Give me those plot points, keep it coming, RIP Osha u went out like a thug.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

I like that Brianne is a Kingslayer like her pal Jamie now and like him everyone is fine with it mostly

I liked that Brienne was the only person with any table manners.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I was kind of surprised to see Jorah throw sand, isn't that like the stereotypically unchivalrous move? It's kind of silly but that did a really effective job of setting the stakes and selling me on an otherwise pretty straightforward action scene.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
They established pretty well that these new khals didn't get a ton of respect, and also that none of them bothered trying to avenge their dead bloodriders, and also that they're pretty loving pragmatic and lazy and not hidebound at all. Meanwhile a revered/prophecied widow of the baddest warlord in history burns them all to death and walks out unscathed. No stretch required my droogs.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

In the widely popular HBO show, Game of Thrones, the character Sansa comes from the northern part of Westeros called Winterfell. As with all the cultures in Game of Thrones, each has heir own dress, food, typical clothing, and even hairstyles. But when Sansa begins to live in the southern King’s Landing, she changes her hair to how one typically of the south. Except Sansa is not of the South. She has no ties to the south, and is little more than a long-staying guest there. Therefore, she has no right to wear the styles of actual southern women. This is how in many little ways, cultural appropriation has been normalized in our every day lives.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
When Yara and Theon fled it looked like only one or two ships actually set sail out of the huge fleet in the harbor. The rest seemed to be staying put.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Anonymous John posted:

What was the point of Sansa lying to Jon about the intel on the Blackfish in yesterday's episode? So that Jon cannot be like "hey lets just get LF on our side for now to kill Ramsay, then we'll cut off his head later"?

Yes. Also it limits anyone like Tormund questioning the decision not to seek LF's support. LF no doubt would want her to tell them so he could worm his way into yet another "court." Of course it's still an effective way to force Sansa to split up her forces and attention. But basically Sansa knows that owing favors to LF is a quick way to get yourself killed.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
This episode was great, really had a Season 1 or 2 vibe. They are killing it this season! Hope they keep it up. Lady Mormont was great and I'm happy to see she's joined the army. Olenna shittalking Cersei was incredible and I was wondering the whole time if Gregor was just gonna smash her to pieces. Oh yeah, and Return Of The Hound.

Maybe Arya's set a trap for the Waif by using a squib under her shirt and leaving a trail of blood.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Cephas posted:

Arya definitely has some sort of plan.

1. In episode 6, she takes Needle out from its hiding place, finds a hidden location to stow away in, and sits in complete darkness.
2. In episode 7, she's out in broad daylight. The complete darkness of episode 6 lets us know she's smart enough to realize that she's not safe, so walking around not even disguised must be a conscious decision rather than thoughtless idiocy.
3. She has enough stolen money to buy passage on a ship, with a cabin, and even convince them to leave early. She has an entirely new outfit from her episode 6 peasant girl costume. This implies she's planning her escape with resources at her disposal, rather than out of sheer desperation.
4. She doesn't have Needle with her when she's out in the open. This means she's kept her best weapon a secret.
5. She stands conspicuously out on a bridge, possibly waiting for an attack. The faceless men could attack her from a rooftop, or from underneath the bridge, but she's trained with them enough to know their methods and may have ruled these out. So she might have chosen the bridge because it limits the range of possibilities for an encounter. It also provides an escape route via the water.
6. Arya spent the last few weeks literally fighting blind; she would have been able to anticipate an attack as obvious as this one. Instead, she turns to take the attack in the stomach, without defending herself. But she has enough strength to push the Waif away and headbutt her, then flip over the bridge and dive into the water. This means she may have taken the attack deliberately, and might have had some sort of trick underneath her padded tunic.
7. The Waif would want Arya's body so they could take her face. In other words, she wouldn't settle for presuming that Arya died when she hit the water. The Waif would go on recon and find the body. So Arya's plan couldn't be to fake her own death, because she'd know the Waif would want her corpse.
8. In the episode preview, we see the Waif running through the streets, undisguised, holding a bloody knife. This doesn't seem like Faceless Man behavior, as they prefer discretion. Probably, she's pissed that Arya pulled a fast one on her and lost her cool.
9. In the preview, we see Arya parkour jumping off a building in a new outfit. So she probably wasn't actually as hurt as she seemed to be.

I think what may be the case is that Arya knows she can't run or hide from a Faceless Man out to kill her, so instead she's baiting the Waif into a confrontation on her own terms. We know from her exchange with the actress that Arya is pretty good at reading people's interior motivations. She's pulling this stunt to draw the Waif out of her comfort zone, and what she'll probably do is lead the Waif to a place where she's hidden Needle, her secret weapon, and use a decisive surprise attack to kill her.

10. She spent the last 2 episodes hanging out with a theater troupe whose special effects include fake blood and gore.
11. She is leaving a trail of blood on the cobblestone road.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

kcroy posted:

Good thing the trained assassin didn't just slit her throat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQ6i9I1IYY

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Blackfish is an odd choice for Lord Stoneheart but why not I guess.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think they oversold Arya's endurance but I do think it was interesting that she had to use all her previous training to escape and kill the Waif. Also I think the rumor Cersei is investigating has to do with the secret Tommen told her, which he learned from the High Sparrow, which would probably be the involvement of the Tyrell's in Joffrey's murder.

E: It was too bad Blackfish "died" because it was clear that Jaime wanted to send him North after all, as a sop to Brienne I guess.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 13, 2016

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Did she though? I mean, they didn't actually show much of her training, apart from a shitload of stickfighting and some light poisoning. It felt like she mostly survived through plot armor, not by aplying poo poo she learned through the last two seasons.

Of course, the one thing she learned that she did use (how to fight the Waif while blind) wasn't actually shown.

Hound's will to survive, Syrio's fencing, Faceless Men blindfighting. Probably a couple other things in there.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
This episode was incredible, the cavalry charge, shield wall, and body pile each felt like different stages of a panic attack or something

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

chilihead posted:

Remember a well written show lets the viewers figure some things out for themselves. It was my understanding that at least half of those Calvary were the mercs that deserted Stannis. They left the but remember they were in a foreign land. Ramsey probably offered them food,shelter and gold to fight for him before they went home. Seems obvious to me.

Literally every time Ramsay gets half the army to desert, kill the other half, and then he kills the deserters himself. Those mercs
are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

The spoilers were weird. They were always like 85% right and would have odd little details that were wrong. Like earlier in the season it said that Davos and Melisandre at the wall something something, and then Davos was supposed to throw a chair. Then it happened almost exactly like it was supposed to but no chair was thrown. Maybe deleted scene? Strange how these things are. The Ramsay alive thing is easy to figure out how it came out that way though.

A false detail like that is how I would track which scripts were given to which translators, to know where the leak was.

• Locked thread