Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

I no longer own a VCR, but I still have something like 24 hours worth of 9/11 CNN/Fox News/ABC/CBS footage on a handful of long play VHS tapes (I figured it was a pretty major historical moment, and I had a bunch of empty tapes laying around that I used for monthly wrestling PPV's, so I just recorded various channels until I ran out of blank tapes; each tape was a different network.)

I wonder how much that'd cost for digital transfer, for posterity's sake?

https://archive.org/details/911/day/20010911 There is already a pretty awesome 9/11 tv news archive, perhaps you have something they don't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am catching up on 20 pages but I never heard those things to be called "dittos". We called them "rexos"; short for Rexograph. Interestingly enough I cannot find anyone else who called them rexos except kids I knew growing up. I thought it was a regional thing but it was called rexos in Brooklyn and dittos 15 miles away on Long Island so I can't figure out what was up with NYC using the term "rexo" while everyone else on the face of the planet called them a "ditto".

I just looked into this as I never heard of it before. I am actually shocked no one figure out how to use this to pirate Sega Saturn games, considering the only copy protection (as far as I know) was that the Saturn physically looked for the word "Sega" on the rim of the disc.

edit:

What is the adapter/converter on the right called? I need one to hook up my Ti99/a to my TV!

300 to 75 ohm balun

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
yeah thats a balun

Germstore posted:

You also had these going the other direction if you had to hook up coax to an older tv with the screw terminals.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

There was an incredible article I read where someone was set out to prove that the expensive HDMI cables were all bullshit. He bought the cheapest HDMI cable available and one of the most expensive (over $100) and he basically put the whole argument to rest. He used an image capture device, and saved a BMP of the image coming from his PS3. He simply swapped cables, and took the image again.

He ran it through a checksum program and the checksum was 100% identical between the two bitmaps.

Monster did make good analog cables when there was a sea of buzz-prone poo poo out there (the Monster Cable s-video cables for Gamecube get $80 on eBay for a reason; because 99% of the s-video cables for the system are pure dogshit), but once digital became a thing, they should have disappeared. Instead they sue companies like Monster Energy Drink and the movie Monster, Inc., and hilariously enough after I just checked their CEO's bio, they also seem to have a copyright on the word "revolutionized", and not even in a brand name sense. Seriously, check it out. It's surreal: https://www.monsterproducts.com/company/about-monster

I've seen in store monster demos where they compare the Monster HDMI cable with an ordinary composite cable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WebDog posted:

Oh the days when RCA cables were considered futuristic.

Also that wireframe reveal effect was seen as a really cool way to show off something was digital.

In Brazil they had wireless RF modulators.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

evobatman posted:

I've made some nice pocket change buying up used Wiis for $10-20, unloading the games at Gamestop, and then softmodding the Wiis with emulators and ROMs and selling them online as retro gaming machines for $100.

This makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Are you saying you didn't host a launch party for Windows 7? Even with instructional videos like this to help you plan it? Come on, the video even was even shot with an inappropriate and distracting (but very trendy, circa-2009) shaky-cam technique! What more do you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

I signed up to host a party but just kept the stuff and didn't have a party lol.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Picked up one of these beauties today, GE Superadio 2. They are famous for their long distance AM reception

Went to buy batteries for it, but I bought C cells instead of D cells

Humphreys suggested scrunched up foil.

When I first turned it on the local community radio station was just at the beginning of their 3 hour long Prog Rock program, so it's been put to use playing some of the worst music i've ever heard in my life (but in a guilty pleasure sort of way).

I've read elsewhere to replace the electrolytic capacitors so i'll do that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should I go with Nichicon Audio Grade caps?

Or their fine gold range?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But Muse suck nowadays...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i'm only going to buy from reliable sellers like digikey etc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
While we are on the topic, here is a great article in the New Yorker about the Sony SRF-39FP AM radio "The IPod of Prison":

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-ipod-of-prison

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just picked up a flat earth shortwave station from the other side of the planet:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

credburn posted:

Out of all the main numbers my eye catches when scanning things,

75% of those have to do with Hitler :|

You think about 69ing with Hitler?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Shortwave radio is a tech relic right?

It's a bit hard to photograph but I made a big antenna out of a long piece of wire, some bungee cord and a rock:

Rock picture:

Flat Earth Christian Radio Channel:

My assistant got pretty bored:

North Korean Radio:

According to my notes I picked up:

A K-Pop program from South Korea.
A christian Radio station from Palau (near Guam)
KCBS Pyongyang from North Korea
Voice of Mongolia from Mongolia.
A Persian station transmitting from Germany.
Vatican Radio in Russian transmitting from Vatican City.
Radio Saudi Arabia in Indonesian.

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Jan 28, 2024

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dataman and the little professor, vintage learning calculators (for learning maths)

Thanks to the wonders of 3D printing, Dataman has a battery cover again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Quake 3 tin being used to store screws in the garage:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Not even nine inch nails.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yes it is the Linux version

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I bought a minidisc player today.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I always wanted that gamegear tv tuner situation.

Indonesia still had analogue TV up until 2023, so I thought about taking a game gear there while i was on holiday. But my game gear has an lcd mod so the tv tuner won't work on it anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Went for a ride in an old truck. The cassette slot was being used to store business cards.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I seem to remember car cd changers being installed under the front passenger’s or drivers seat but can find no photos on google. Is my memory faulty?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Real sicko stuff. I love it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/SU9t5Bj.mp4

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Mar 24, 2024

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh your CD changer can take 5 CDs? that's nice

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.angelfire.com/games4/jamieweb/cdplayer.htm

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ObsoleteSony/status/1773696624067518598

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One thing I remember fondly from the PS1 era was the cheat codes. I can see that these obviously had some function as debug tools. How/why did they end up in the finished product? Was there some kind of expectation that your game would have cool cheats built in? How did the secret instructions to enable the cheats make it from the developers to the magazines that compiled them?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Was the cell used in anything other than the ps3?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They still have teletext in finland? Maybe I should move there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which tech relics did you use to consume the OJ Simpson trial?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
who could forget this classic

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
yes this happened

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Found this beauty the other day.

I found the manual on the internet, it has some cool features

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Apr 14, 2024

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm trying to do my household budget. How much do you guys spend a week on blank minidiscs?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
anyone want a brand new stereo system from 2002?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Those are Australian dollars.