Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Use this thread to talk about the second greatest period in the yearly football calendar. Don't talk about other inane poo poo. Also don't use the Done Deal tag unless you have a link from the clubs in question.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

About time we had some big transfers in here

Ronaldinho to Racing Club de Montevideo a Done Deal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

corpuscollossus" posted:

says Arsenal are in talks to sign Mahrez, which is of course indisputable. If Mahrez ,Vardy or even Kante/Albrighton leave in this window, I think it will seriously dent Leicester's chances. I wonder if the other clubs in the running might make advances just to mess up the dressing room

I'm hearing conflicting reports. It seems the real interest is coming in big from Roma as they have just shifted Iturbe to Watford and Salah is injured.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Reports of Pato off to China. I know he's on high wages but it still doesn't make sense to me since so many teams in Europe seem desperate for a striker.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Corinthians is asking 15 million Euros, that's a high price for someone who's last stint in Europe was in injury riddled mess.

15 million still seems like peanuts for a possible fraud injury prone striker in the TV money era. I keep hearing that he's been really good in Brazil. I'm going to believe that without doing research.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What does Palemri's twitter have to say regarding the rumors I've seen of my boy Hector Herrera making his way to Napoli?

Napoli's small tranfer offer for Herrera rebuffed. Porto want to hold onto Mexican duo of Herrera and Layun for title push unless big money comes in. Interest from Villareal is growing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm a big fan of the newcastle new signing tunnel.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mods

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Because MLS's target audience has no idea who Victor Valdes is

There's the more important fact he's a goalkeeper on 60k a week and there are players that are on 60k a year.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 26, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Chelsea signed Matt Miazga from New York Red Bulls who the secret footballer called literally retarded or something

As someone who watched him play every game last season the "secret footballer" quote is ridiculously stupid. The '"quote" from his "former teamate" looks like something someone drafted in 5 seconds.

What English speaker would say "dumber than the donkey" like a someone with 1 year of English under their belt and then say "get eaten alive in the prem" the next sentence. Smells of complete BS or at best an edited quote from someone who played with him the season before last. He had an issue with getting cards early on but got that under control and he's definitely stronger than a lot of young CBs in the premiere league. Hasn't the secret footballer turned from a memoir to gossip poo poo anyways?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Reports of Pato off to China. I know he's on high wages but it still doesn't make sense to me since so many teams in Europe seem desperate for a striker.

Seltzer posted:

15 million still seems like peanuts for a possible fraud injury prone striker in the TV money era. I keep hearing that he's been really good in Brazil. I'm going to believe that without doing research.

I just wanted to do an I told you so. Also when do the last windows close? Doesn't Turkey and Russia end in like two more days?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It seems like all the important windows are closing so I'll just shut this down tomorrow.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Akileese posted:

Having clubs that are not poor means teams don't need to sell and can pay the players higher wages. This makes them less likely to move. It's really not rocket science though I imagine simple economics is a bit complicated for him.

It's best not to question Tanc

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

China is spending stupid money this window and it makes zero sense. They're paying way above what they need to (though they are having to convince people to live in China) and there's no way they're making anything close to profit on tv rights and live gates. It seems like these clubs are just rich people's play things there. It's weird that they're spending all this money now considering their economy is in the process of tanking.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

GMEEOORH posted:

Xi Jinping's been making a lot of noise about wanting China to be a big football nation. So lotsa rich fuckers have sensed it's probably a good ''investment'' to pump a lot of money into football-related stuff.

Yea China routinely makes grandiose statements of intent and then they follow through with their execution poorly and without planning. This is why Jackson Martinez will apparently now be the 5th most paid footballer in the world. It's a common thing to set a goal in China no matter how unrealistic and then try to achieve it hamfistedly and quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
China is also incredibly obsessed with accruing soft power at the moment despite generally failing at it. It explains the football push and stuff like the Olympic concentration camps for kids.

It's just super bizarre that all these moves are happening now and not like five years ago. The Chinese economy is unraveling as all the cracks are beginning to show and people realize the numbers the govt has put out have been bunk forever. You would think rich people would invest money in something safe instead of football in a country where the gates must be like 10k a game and copyright law does not exist so TV money is probably next to nil. I expect the trend to end in a few years as their economy slows down drastically and Martinez and others also get screwed on payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

China's entire economy is based on copying others poorly so I doubt a single businessman has thought "is football profitable??" They just know other rich people buy teams so obviously they should also do that.

You just did a China to my post. But seriously yea China's behavior is bizarre and is at times horrifying, mystifying, and entertaining to watch. Tim Cahill sucked towards the end of his Redbull tenure and got benched and he now has 11 in 28 in China apparently. Imagine what kind of decent Shaktar-esque team they could've put together poaching young South Americans instead of spending 50 million on Jackson Martinez.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2016

• Locked thread