Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Oh poo poo a fish pics thread and you guys like Alaska? This is my kinda place.

I've fished here in Alaska all my life, grew up fishing. My father has fished all his life, his father too. In the 70's and 80's they were commercial fishermen in the Inside Passage from Washington to Hanes. They stopped after I was born and has been a very busy sport fisherman since.

Hope this isn't too many pictures. I got hundreds more and can keep it up if people are interested.

Me and my father, sometime summer 1987

Summer 86 or 87

One of my early fish, probably far from my first. 1991 or 92 probably.

Decent sized halibut of mine. Probably around 1999.

90'sAlaska.jpg My father, sister, brother and myself.

Father and Sister these days

In the summer you can find my father with a fishing pole in one hand and a Miller High Life in the other.

Myself, my wife and father.

This is Anchor River, the king salmon season opens at midnight.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Alright here's a couple more that I have uploaded already.

I recently moved to Juneau from Anchorage and have taken up crabbing. The crab fisheries around where I used to fish (Anchor Point/Homer) are super overfished and as far as I know don't even open anymore. Down here they're super plentiful but have size and sex restrictions.

A couple red king crab, these are about 1/2 - 2/3 of the legal size. Tossed em back to grow up.

Spiny fucks, pain in the rear end to hold.

Dungeness crab, get lots of these guys and they don't need to be nearly as big as kings to be legal size. Don't taste as awesome or have as much meat as red kings but I catch a lot.

Crabbing is nice because my local crab hole is in about 30' of water only about a quarter mile from our launch point. I can bait the pots with basically garbage and leave em out there for a few days and come back to a world class dinner.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Holy poo poo that's a trip down memory lane.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Got skunked on the flatfish yesterday. But scored some shellfish.

TheDon01 posted:

Bottom is sandy/silty but there are plenty of rocky spots.

No luck with halibut but my crab pots I dropped the other day were productive.

The king crab were tossed back, too small and too female. But I did get 2 of the biggest dungeness I've seen in a while.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just grab a $30 walmart special, there's always time to buy more gear when you know exactly what you're looking for.

They're cheap but work just fine, don't expect the reel to last more than a couple seasons if exposed to saltwater but hey....$30.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I prefer spincasters over bait casters, but it mainly comes down to personal preference in how well you're able to cast with each. I can't cast worth a drat with baitcasters but my pops could probably grab a hat off someone's head from 30yds.

Also don't go heavy on the line, monofil especially. If the line is too heavy for the reel you're gonna have a big rats nest before you leave the parking lot and it wont cast worth poo poo.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Awesome, was there at least one beer drank that day? Sounds like the ideal day of fishing.

And if you're canoe fishing and don't want to get blown around make a tiny anchor, provided your lake isn't 300' deep. When I had my canoe I just had big brick with hole drilled in it on about 40' of crabline. You don't need anything substantial if you're not fighting tides or a river.

Also Post a fish! if ya caught something I'd like to see it. Might be old hat to you guys but I've never seen a bass in person and I know you got tons of other crazy little fish down in the states.

In Alaska news, halibut fishing still seems to be terrible. My neighbor keeps saying "Oh it's not quite halibut season yet" but his loving boat is covered in moss and hasn't moved in decades, also it's almost July. King salmon fishing is going good, no luck myself but my roommate hooked into one the other day but lost it and my little brother caught a beautiful one on his birthday yesterday.

Happy birthday Bro

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Hey I finally get to Post a fish

TheDon01 posted:

Live posting from the boat again. Love having a cell tower on an offshore island.

Just reeled in this beauty of a halibut.

Gotta go, wife just hooked into something too...looks like this is the spot. I'll update when we get home.

Edit: home now. Wife caught a halibut almost identical to mine.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Ocean fish look so weird to me, like, they don't even look like they could swim.

Yeah, they're weird as gently caress, but these big meaty bastards can swim hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2mdEVwd1s

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

extra stout posted:

drat that owns and looks like a serious amount of food. what'd they weigh in at? how easy are halibut to fillet?

I don't own a scale and I didn't see one at the dock. I'd estimate they're around 45-50lbs. Lots of meat on them and they are fairly easy to fillet.

Edit: LOL I asked the wife how big she thought they were.
"Oh! The fish and game guy at the port measured them, he said they were 10"
"10? 10 what?"
"Hmm, I dunno"

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I've caught a couple nice halibut (~60 pounds) on the west side of Cook Inlet this year. It's as good as always in the inlet. Maybe it's different in southeast? idk.

Also seeing lots of kings on harvest tickets when I check people's licenses over the last month or so, from both Kenai and Susitna drainages. So that's nice to see after the last few years.

No pics for the thread =( But I spent the last week gorging on big fat lake trout. I will have to take more pictures. Reds are almost to Port Alsworth and Bristol Bay produced over 35 million this year so we should be swimming in them soon. v. excited.

Maybe there is more of a season down here, I've pulled in 4 in the last couple days and I've seen lots at the dock.

What part of Cook? I grew up and spent 25 years or so fishing out of Anchor Point/Anchor River.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

In the vicinity of Chisik Island at the mouth of Tuxedni Bay. I do a fair bit of boat driving for researchers working on the west side coast, so while they're off doing science things I "go anchor the boat in a safer spot, see you guys on the high tide" and drown some herring.

Oh man that's directly across, I've fished around that island a few times with my pops. Sounds like you got a sweet gig, you ever need deckhands let me know.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Nice Kings, where'd ya catch em at?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

Pops caught a nice King in a derby today, he's in the top apparently. Will find out results in about 3 hours.

Edit: 2nd place! 24.85 lbs and 575$!! The top fish was 26 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Went out for a quick afternoon trip with the wife and friend who's a much better photographer than I. It was real slow for the whole trip but I hooked an 80 lb halibut after an hour or so.