Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 6-7, 1929)

I really appreciate depression-era heavy machining comix. Trade offs like these ring just as true today as they did in 1929, although J.R. Williams is going to be blown away by tungsten carbide inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Why couldn't they have montaged over all this tedious nonsense, too?

Rex Morgan M.D., isn't just about the rich getting richer! They also have everyday people problems like reassembling a bed frame. And, just like you or I have experienced, the headboard will have a secret compartment revealing millions of dollars in bearer bonds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Hillary's training in the Voice of the Bene Gesserit is paying off.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's been a while; why aren't Ted and Sally talking?

With Hillary away at summer camp, Sally and Ted generally promised that they'd have a fun and exciting summer together. They quickly realized that, while Ted talks a big game, he doesn't actually act on any of his ideas. Sally, on the other hand, dyed her hair and had lunch with some people, and now they are questioning the foundation of their relationship.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SubNat posted:

Oh my, :allears: .

What's up with the red splotch on Hank's and Neddy's hands though? ( frame 3, & 6 ) Colourist fuckup?

It's the Stigmata.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (November 9, 1943)

"Look at me, I'm big gay Clem"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't either. Maybe it's a Zippy the Pinhead type thing. I enjoy that though. I keep expecting to enjoy Jaf but I don't think I ever do.

I think Jaf is delightfully surreal. I enjoy looking for the ways in which the artist has taken our expectations and turned them on their head by playing with gestalts or perspective. It's not a comic, per se, but a little sketch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Ces is on a march to the goddamn sea up in here

He's tearing it all down so he can build it back up.

https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/789491312512860161

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I thought of that, but the exterior shot shows that it's clearly a three-storey building. :shrug:

I only count two, unless you're including an attic space.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

this is one of those super rare good fort knox.

I agree with you, but for a different reason:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just had a plate of rarebit. Trip report about my dreams coming tomorrow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

For the life of me, it looks like the original Ant Man is behind the other two and has already used the enlarging potion without them. Also, once again, Spidey lets someone else save the day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

This is the problem with bulk items. Sure, I can save money by buying a gallon jar of mayonnaise, but where do I put it?

Just let Wilbur know you've got extra mayo. The man has sandwiches that need lubrication.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Is it so difficult to say "Kit Walker*"? I don't think he wants your life story.

* For the Ghost Who Walks.

I love how the comic strip police circa 1948(?) have no problems firing blindly into the night at someone who hasn't done anything wrong.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Or at least it's verbally described as being painted that way.

[while urinating in a beige closet] "Gee! Wow! Look at this amazing decoration! I'm transported!!"

I think we saw the bathroom in one frame a few months ago. It was a dazzling smear of color. I assume whatsisname is leaning his head against the plane's bulkhead, having been reminded how whatsername showed her love by painting her airplane's lavatory, and not that Brooke gave up an opportunity to vomit colors everywhere.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 4, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The new kerning is much better. Early 2017 can only bring good things!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Remind me again what he's travelling the world to write about? And for what paper?

"Survivors". And whatever paper Mary is writing her column for (which was originally his job).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can you explain it further, I don't get a single loving thing about that. Perhaps it requires some knowledge of american football?

The way American football works, the two teams are trying to push one another up and down the field. Team A scores if a player manages to carry or catch the ball on the opposite side of team B's goal line, and vice versa. Additionally, each team has a goal post behind its goal line, through which the ball can be kicked under certain circumstances.

If a team couldn't move out of the shadow of their own goalpost, that would indicate they are putting forward a very poor offensive effort. The goal line is literally a chalk line drawn on the grass, so if the team can't move out of the show of that, they're putting forward a very poor effort indeed.

e. This is missing the biggest goonsay to have ever goonsaid.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

This one took me a bit, then I said it in an American accent and it clicked :doh:

What's better than roses on a piano?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the female was insulted too. why doesn't she stand up for herself? why is it the man's job to defend her?

Why does not Kirk, the largest child, simply eat the other two?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oxyacetylene welding is not arc welding god dammit

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix burns half as long.

http://poignant.guide/book/chapter-3.html

Edit:

bean_shadow posted:

Who is Jonah? Toni's brother?

For a minute, with yesterday's strip, I thought he was a guy dressed as a woman.

I think the blond hair, thick black eyebrows and dark stubble do that.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 18, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's goddamn grounds for divorce and disinheritance!

I seem to remember a period of time in the early 90s where rare steak was seen as a health crisis (or at least my mother thought so).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Paternoster is a cool if scary looking contraption. The only one I know of is in Finnish parliament house, known as 'herrahissi' or lord-lift.

I really want to try one of those, if only to see the look on my wife's face. She has a lot of elevator anxiety too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Everyone knows exposed necks are the most sinful part of the body.

That's where the vampires getcha!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I want a fuckin' Mega Max right now

I once got a coronary bypass burger (to go, eaten over the course of a few meals). I think those super glutton sandwiches sound good on paper, but wind up being too over the top to enjoy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey, so...would anyone be interested if I started posting Japanese 4koma here?

:justpost:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In the first comic, we're presented with a bug-eyed monster who proclaims it is the only one on this planet. A worm survives the fall (from where?) and rejoices. The bug-eyed monster destroys the worm and affirms her previous statement.

In the second comic, on side A, the pop-band Honey Come Chatka explodes the world by being too good at music. On side B, the fans of Honey Come Chatka mourn the loss of their homeworld, but rejoice at the opportunity to ride in the Space Shuttle with the members of Honey Come Chatka on their quest for a new world.

I'm interested to see how this experiment in Japanese four-panel comics goes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The Morgan Family is lucky 'Ces hasn't taken over that comic too, or else that bus would crash.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

^^ That's amazing

WickedHate posted:

Huh, so I guess Everett True is high society enough to rely on servants? I figured he was a workin man.

He's got an office job and appears to be in charge of some people, so I imagine the Trues make a fair bit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The TV show being referenced is "Incomplete Life", a very popular office drama that was running a couple of years ago. It's based off of an equally popular webcomic, if that's not nerdy enough for you.

You made me look it up, and now I'm a little irked that the company I work for wasn't able to license Incomplete Life (but we did spend too much money for Goblin!).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This strip reminds me of a time when my brother was 3 or 4 years old and he gave me a pencil for Christmas. It's the thought that counts, Michael.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Weren't those posted yesterday?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Haha, it's K-Plop!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This isn't really meant as a knock on this comic, but they don't use casts anymore, do they? I always see those brace things.

They absolutely still use casts. In my experience, the cast comes off after about six weeks once the bone has started to knit, and then you use the brace to keep from reinjuring yourself for a few more weeks. I don't know how different that is for small children, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nice human shield.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ukonvasara posted:

Wait, the loving Tinkersons ghoul-children were there and the Forths weren't? Gotta be some kind of syndicate thing, right?

Ted Forth is in seven panels and is called out by name in the title. Or is that :thejoke:?

God dammit I'm a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Honey Come Chatka

What's the deal with Calimero's name? Is she named after the Italian cartoon duck? Is she supposed to be Italian?

• Locked thread