Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
This isn't a request to stop posting it by any means, but I don't think I "get" Jaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

You put the butter in first, onto the hot noodles, so it melts and spreads. Then you put the milk :mad: Geez you might as well lock your kid out in the cold at this point

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The captions have a pretty good rhythm.

DUANE,

HOLES IN NECK

DUANE'S FROG,

HOLES IN THORAX

Also, can't get over how much Luann's dress looks like a freaking nightgown. Like even the color.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

One of my favorite things about Pros and Cons is the tiny little mouths.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Why does the cut of the top half of the dress flip every frame?

WEARABLE ART

An engineered dress that changed depending on the position of the viewer would be interesting but also out of the scope and scale for this comic

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

Yes!!!!!! Is this the first we've seen of The Urge!!??

efb

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

text me a vag pic posted:

He got in trouble again in August and his wife left him, so this is sadly kinda relevant.

Thought you meant Piraro at first.

Mercury Hat posted:

Is this kid showing her a dick pic?

I hope that lady's reaction would be less :shobon: if that were the case, but yeah, I thought that too

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

26 year old me wants to go back in time and tell 13 year old me Scott Adams is a rampant raging rear end in a top hat, just to see what 13 year old me's reaction would have been.

I read the comics pages religiously through middle and high school. I remember thinking that Dilbert was one of the "generally above par" comics.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I'll have to find and post my old collection of comics I cut out from the paper. At one point half of my bedroom walls were covered in (mostly) newspaper comics that I thought were really funny. I specifically remember a Dilbert with Loud Howard, where Loud Howard is yelling right in Dilb's ear and the thought bubble was something like "Agh! His warm, moist breath is all over me!"

Most of the collection is probably F Minus. I also really liked Close to Home, which I know somebody in here talked about having to do the coloring for and despising it. I always thought the art was serviceable for the kind of humor, like a Far Side/Dinette Set type of jokes, like it was supposed to look ugly. Hit more often than miss for me anyway. TBF I don't think I'd want to color it either though.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

why is the spritz sound effect coming from the impact point and not the actual spray bottle

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

And he was a friend to all children, so anything that would benefit them rest assured he supported

Incidentally, does someone have the strip where he has the intentions to straighten out a noisy calliope performer but then it cuts back to him dancing and clapping along with the children who are just having a good time?

bonus True being a friend to children and animals:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

It took me a while to realize it's just a stylized thick line on the back of Ginger Meggs' head and that he's not a peppy little Jewish kid.

(well, or is he? The line moves like Mickey Mouse's ears and doesn't stay on the back of his head all the time, but I can't quite tell)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

:stare:

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Hey, Bud? Can you do us a favor?

Please never show a character front-on, ever again?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Jam Esallen is so bad at this that it actually makes me angry. Like I could freaking do a better job drawing Mark Trail. His other thing that gets posted in here (I forget what it's even called) is like, embarassing levels of misguided. He's like a guy who learned all the little tricks of how to depict or render certain specific details, without having any foundational knowledge, so everything is just sliding all over the place on weird quasi-dimensional people.

(if it turns out mr. Esallen has some kind of disease or disability that makes him draw like poo poo then I'll feel bad. but right now as far as I"m aware he doesn't so I don't.)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

tubby is the only thing i like about tinkersons, and that's probably because i love fat lazy pets.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Cosima posted:

I'm really starting to enjoy the Dinette Set. It's amazing how entertaining a comic can be when the author actually wants you to dislike the characters, as opposed to, say, Luann.

I like the Dinette Set a lot, but it has also made me increasingly aware of these people in real life, like I"ll see a deal for something at a store and be like "Verl and Burl would figure out some way to rip this off." It's funny but sometimes it strikes a little too close to home.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (July, 1940)

But Mopsy your arm!!!!!!!!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

:smith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The guy on the right in the end though looks like a bunch of kids standing on each other's shoulders pretending to be a fully grown man. Look at that tiny, tiny head.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I usually don't have much to say about Compu-Toon, but god, does something ever make me viscerally uncomfortable about the design of this kid's head. I feel like if you touched the middle of his head you would feel his brain through the skin :gonk:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sundae posted:

Or maybe it'll just fizzle out and not go anywhere and we'll transition to storylines involving the characters we actually like in this comic, such as

Les, perpetually put-upon man of multitudes.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set will take that to go.

1. I always like your one-liners

2. I think my favorite Dinettes are the ones with non-dinettes looking on with some mix of disappointment/Are You Serious/The Urge.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

:crossarms:

You could do this with pretty much any noun. This is a very lazy joke about Kids These Days. Also the girl is right to inquire about the balloon's technological capabilities, $5 is absurd for a regular balloon.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Oh god, that was a close one. Status was almost not quo.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Would it be that hard to just say "nah, rock climbing isn't really our scene; maybe we could do something else?" and go from here? Yes it is, nobody in this comic acts like a human

I wish Luann was just explicitly a comic about Aspergers teens doing their best to fit in and figure out social rules. It would be infinitely more likeable.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze throws a shoe.

That foot. That leg, that foot, the sketch lines the artist couldn't be assed to erase.

I usually find this comic fair to middling, but sometimes I just love it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

A few nights ago I dreamed that I knew the dog from Buni in real life. It looked exactly like it does in the cartoon, but it was like a real puppy friend I had in real life. It was pretty awesome :unsmith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

Oh wow, this time it's actually a child pretending to be a grown man.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Remember when they were stuck in an underground cave for half a year? Gooooood times.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze goes for the easy cartoon joke.

This comic manages to evoke from me a visceral "ugh" if not an outright eyeroll nearly every time it is posted.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Whoa, Mark Trail is going to transform into The Hulk!

the egg sac implants in his back are about to erupt

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I refuse to live in a world where this didn't end with Brad and/or Toni getting killed in the wildfire, dammit! :emo:

Like what a phenomenally anticlimactic wrap-up of that plotline. I mean I know that's this strip's meat and potatoes, but like, seriously? Several cast members go to fight a wildfire for the sole narrative purpose of .... making their loved ones come together to plan their wedding? That's like, dream-level disparate incongruity. I'm hoping Evans will come through and actually make a real purposeful consequence happen, but then again...

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

On the other hand, at least there's this guy's beard. Man, look how fluffy that thing is.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Stilt-Man is significantly beyond Newspaper Spider-Man's gay parade.

I was going to scroll like mad back up to every Spider-Man before I reread this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Haha great slam on those suffering from depression Batiuk.

Keep in mind depression in the vatiuk verse is about as quotidienne as people IRL pooping at least once per day. It's true of just about everyone, few people directly talk about it, everyone just kind of subconscioulsy knows it's happening. No need to dress it up with notions of concern, it's just one stepping stone on the path to ultimate cancer/alzheim

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

drat

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I love this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

That has literally happened to me.

It's the slightly redundant "It is now leaving him." that really gets me.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Almost no words ain't the same as no words, Ripley.

even the guy he drew looks disappointed in the claim

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Esplanade posted:

The Lockhorns did this same joke over a year ago, Pirarro. THE LOCKHORNS.

Turn in your hipster credential at the door as you leave.

I hate when Piraro does these like, observation-idiosyncracy humor comics, where I can think of several artists who could have made it a funny thing and instead it's just bleak and unpleasant. Ironically Lockhorns came to mind as an example of someone who probablycould do it better, and I didn't even know they had already done it

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Green Intern posted:

She looks high as gently caress.

I had to look really close to see that she apparently has glasses and isn't supposed to look likethis

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I think I actually like the Intelligent Life comics when Patrick Warburton is in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

People actually do that? I mean, I put my feet up on the seat in front of me if no one's around, but what's the point in actively kicking it?

Climb into the head of a child version of the adults in Dinette Set.

• Locked thread