Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

Shouldn't he be surrounded by Storm Trumpers?

Also, can anyone catch me up on anything significant that happened in the last hundred pages of Dec? I tried my best to read it all, then suddenly I'm working 40 hours a week and can knock out like 5 pages every two days in commute.

Does the Tea Party count as a stand in for the SA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Right. DC v Heller was 5-4, as was McDonald v Chicago. If any of Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Thomas, or Kennedy get replaced by a liberal justice you'd likely see a 5-4 decision voiding Heller and returning jurisprudence to where it was previous with ownership of a firearm not being an individual right. If opinion swings hard enough we might see a case declaring that the 2nd only prevents the Federal Govt banning firearms for officially organized militias such as the state National Guard or police forces, essentially rendering it meaningless to the average person.

Don't forget that the NRA packed the Judicial Committee as well to ensure that they'd get judges friendly to their views picked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

For anyone curious the low out there tonight is 1 degree F.

Personally I'd settle for a drone or two circling the place for awhile.

I propose the US Air Force circle them with a Predator drone towing a flag that has 'Vote for Bernie' trailing behind it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I wonder if they remembered to bring their supply of women and children human shields this time around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
From the Militia thread:

Peztopiary posted:

NSFW story on Daily Beast about the Grandson who testified to the grand jury. Link was in the GBS thread.

TL;DR, their grandson etches some initials in his skin with a paperclip, so they used coarse sandpaper on the kid's skin as a punishment, and then they caught him smoking so they made him walk 10 miles to-from the ranch his home.

And these guys tried to blackmail BLM firefighters into covering up their arson, and then threatened them when they refused to. Oh, they also burned their neighbors cattle lands as well, all while telling the BLM to go gently caress themselves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

What's the case law on that clause, by the way? Why does it seem to be completely ignored in American jurisprudence?

Basically, the NRA packed the Judicial Committee to for the past few decades to ensure that only judges that are friendly to the 2nd Amendment get picked up, and its had a direct effect on the interpretation of the 2nd in the Federal Courts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Roy Moore is back:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_alabama_chief_justice_issues_order_blocking_same_sex_marriage_licenses

quote:

The Chief Justice of the Alabama State Supreme Court Wednesday morning issued an order to all probate judges to not issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Judge Roy Moore claims a previous order issued by his court in March remains in effect, and warns those judges that they "have a ministerial duty not to issue any marriage license contrary" to Alabama state law and its constitution.

Justice Moore, "said the conflict between the state court ruling and the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June has caused 'confusion and uncertainty' among probate judges," AL.com reports.

The Decateur Daily adds that "Moore's order found that a June ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that struck down laws banning same-sex marriage in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee did not necessarily affect Alabama's similar laws."

"Until further decision by the Alabama Supreme Court, the existing orders of the Alabama Supreme Court that Alabama probate judges have a ministerial duty not to issue any marriage license contrary to the Alabama Sanctity of Marriage Amendment or the Alabama Marriage Protection Act remain in full force and effect," Moore stated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Obama's speech was pretty retarded and not at all surprising coming from him. https://popehat.com/2016/01/05/president-obama-and-the-rhetoric-of-rights/

Remember when Dems tended to be more skeptical of expansions to the no-fly list? Instead of like almost all dems in the Senate voting to expand it to guns? Good times.

Uhhhhh. He's actually only asking that Laws that are already on the Federal books be enforced.

Now, don't take this the wrong way (you will), but he actually knows Constitutional Law. I'm pretty sure he's not retarded and maybe you're just a little angry because 'GUNZ'. And I suggest you read the end of his post: He doesn't disagree with what Obama said, he only disagrees with the wording.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

My post is applies to his attitude whether or not the Second ever existed or how it's interpreted. "Only" disagreeing with poo poo wording on rights is a big disagreement.

I seem to recall an Emancipation Proclamation doing something similar...

But either way, maybe you shouldn't cite a page that basically agrees with him and only disagrees with the wording and then go on about how retarded a Constitutional Lawyer is in interpreting the Constitution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Because a guy calling someone retarded for using his legal powers to enforce laws already on the books is so deep.

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is unclear. Doing something to similar to what?

It established a Government precedent, and since Obama's speech, regardless of the wording, was about laws already legally enforceable on the Federal law books, its not nearly as retarded as you'd like it to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

oh lawl. His EO was a total snooze if that's what you mean, sure. His speech obviously was about the gun control he still believes in, and his arguments sucked balls from a rights-based perspective. As could be expected from his treatment of them and rationalizations on other topics in the past.

The laws he plans to enforce are already on the books

But yes, let's keep buying the slippery slope argument and continue with name calling. On the other hand, its retarded for you to think that doing nothing is actually worthwhile, or were you counting on more thoughts and prayers to do something?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

The laws his EO concerned, yes. But come on, we know the speech was about wider gun control in topic as well.

This terrible rights-based attitude is such a slippery slope. Next thing you know he'll be droning American citizens or pushing for more restrictions on what people on an unaccountable no-fly list can do. Oh wait.

Mass shootings aren't worth doing anything about, so the efficacy of thoughts and prayers don't really come into it for me. And I value not creating victimless possession crimes aka prohibiting and confiscating handguns (which is what it'd take) over avoiding handgun violence. So nah on both.

Let me know when Conservatives want to actually do something other than 'Our Thoughts and Prayers are With You'. Oh, quick thought, these are the same motherfuckers that thought bringing a Snowball into the Capitol Rotunda was proof that Climate Change was wrong, and that a 1950s era change to the State Motto made us a Christian Nation.

Maybe when conservatives stop stirring up extremists and stomping their feet and pitching a fit you can actually have some grounds to actually establish valid criticism other than 'LOL you're retarded'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

As impeachment isn't enough with AL just voting him back in, is there any way to get this shitheel disqualified from ever holding office again?

Disbarment proceedings, but good luck with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
PETA: Noted for loving animals so much they kill them rather than allow them to be adopted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

DisreputableDog attends a Ben Carson rally

....:catstare: Jesus Christ.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

I didn't even have to look to see what the reason was.

Cruz is now also going to leave a chair free for all the children killed by masturbation and spilled seed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gregg Abbot announced a thing, well series of things:

quote:

In a clear attempt to further distance the State of Texas from mainstream America, GOP Governor Greg Abbott has just unveiled what he would like to become nine new amendments to the U.S. Constitution. Among them are several that appear to be aimed at landmark and historic U.S. Supreme Court decisions, like last June's, which found bans on same-sex marriage unconstitutional.

Abbott's proposed amendments, which he announced at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, read like an anti-government, states' rights fan's dream:

Prohibit congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one state.
Require Congress to balance its budget.
Prohibit administrative agencies from creating federal law.
Prohibit administrative agencies from pre-empting state law.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law
Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a federal law or regulation.
Several, including the one that would require a seven-justice super-majority vote of the Supreme Court, and limiting the federal government's powers to those expressly delegated to it in the Constitution, could be used against same-sex marriage or the rights of same-sex couples.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...me_sex_marriage

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Holy poo poo, so much Libertarianism in the comments

"Deregulate the Medical Industry! Caveat Emptor, patients!"

And no, doctors should have the right to counsel their patients on the dangers of firearms. The emotional health of their patients is their business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

But otherwise I guess doctors could just refuse to treat patients whom they can't counsel effectively? Is that the wrong side of the Hippocratic oath?

They already do this. A lot of pediatricians are not refusing to see patients that refuse to follow vaccination schedules, because it introduces possible harm to their patients.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

I doubt doctors would ever be restricted from doing this in blue states. But that's kind of the trade-off isn't it? You drop the bar from strict scrutiny (assuming it was ever that high for licensed doctors in the first place) in order to stop something like conversion therapy and you have to accept the other team might use that power as well.

How is that dropping the bar on scrutiny? That RAISES the bar, especially due to the fact that Conversion Therapy was NEVER a recognized treatment, the APA viewed it as torture even before they removed being gay as a disease from the DSM.

Conversion Theory is in the same leagues as Homeopathy and Naturopathy: Its pseudoscience being pushed as valid based on nothing other than religious conviction. The 1st Amendment was never for ensuring the freedom to torture people, especially teenagers and children, to fulfill your religious bias against a sexual orientation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

None of that does anything to tell you whether the level of scrutiny for a given setting is at rational, intermediate, or strict.

Uhhhhhhh....The American Pediatric Association and the American Medical Association would like a word with you...

No, seriously, that's some really flawed argument you are presenting there: Nearly everything your doctor does has to follow some sort of rational and prescribed plan that has been tested and reviewed for efficacy. Its part of why doctors are required to constantly attend summits and conferences on new methods. Hell, its why we only allow peer reviewed and approved methods to be used in medical practice.

Its ALSO why the Florida Physicians Association is so upset over not being able to ensure their patients are safe, because there is a rational and proven connection to safety in the home and patient health. This is not a first amendment issue, regardless of what the courts say.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...dium=SocialFlow

Planned Parenthood has, for the first time, endorsed a Presidential Candidate in a primary: Its Clinton of course.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, exactly. Which is why your preference that asking about guns remains legal and conversion therapy being illegal doesn't matter. If restricting one isn't a 1A problem then neither is the other, being the setting for both is in a state licensed professional's office.

Oh, fair enough, that does make sense now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...arily_step_down

quote:

Eric Fanning made national headlines last September when Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee fibbed about his qualifications to become the next Secretary of the Army. Fanning, who is gay, is immensely qualified and was nominated because of his qualifications to serve as the next head of the Army.

At the time, Huckabee waged a small war against Fanning.

RELATED: Mike Huckabee's Supporters Want Obama 'Tried For Treason' For Nominating Gay Man To Lead US Army

"It's clear President Obama is more interested in appeasing America's homosexuals than honoring America's heroes," Huckabee, said in a statement last fall, ignoring the fact that countless LGBT service members at every level are also America's heroes.

"Veterans suicide is out-of-control and military readiness is dangerously low, yet Obama is so obsessed with pandering to liberal interest groups he's nominated an openly gay civilian to run the Army. Homosexuality is not a job qualification," said Huckabee, who last year also had said he would have said he was transgender in high school if it meant he could have showered in the girls' locker room.

"The U.S. military is designed to keep Americans safe and complete combat missions, not conduct social experiments," the ordained Southern Baptist minister accused.

Now, it looks like Huckabee may get his wish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Conversion therapy is treatment.

Its not a real treatment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wasn't that the one that had some line to the tune of "critical thinking and/or the scientific method teaches kids to question obedience to traditional authority figures, so none of that in our god-fearin' schools," or am I thinking of something else?

That is absolutely what they said.

Critical thinking encourages people to question official positions on things. They don't like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Did you never read the Conservapedia thread? Schlafly had a whole thing about Relativity not being real. He was comparing it moral relativity or something. He's also a trained electrical engineer that didn't want to teach people complex numbers. You also see certain conservative Christians get bent out of shape about set theory, since multiple unequal infinities are an affront to their beliefs. It's just using whatever warbling about Jesus they come up with to stay as ignorant as possible for as long as possible. We're at the point where this is going to reduce the ability of flyover country to properly educate their children to be part of the current economy.

I had to explain to a guy how relativity allows us to use GPS. He didn't believe me, and said Einstein made it all up.

When asked why he believed that, he said his preacher had said relativity was atheist hogwash. This is middle Georgia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Having been to backwater Georgia a bunch to go to MCLB Albany, I can attest that this thinking is par for the course there.

I get that Relativity is really hard to get your head around (quantum mechanics is even worse) but the ability of people to give up on it because of this and the name is real depressing. Relativity is named rather poorly, since what it's saying is that light is not relative at all. But good luck explaining that to the average poo poo kicker out there who barely can understand how a modern car engine works.

Well, to be fair, explaining to people how space flight works tends to be met with 'Well, I bet the moon landings were all faked/exaggerated anyways' a lot around here.

And Georgia is a state famous for fighting for the Religious Freedom of Creationism in the classroom.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

Increased scientific literacy (and hell, regular literacy while we're at it) is what it's going to take to make people capable of operating in a modern society. At this rate, all you're getting KS and OK to turn into is The Land That Hope Forgot (But Meth Still Remembers). We already have an Alabama and a Mississippi, we can't afford a second of each.

Carl said it best:

quote:

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. - Carl Sagan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

foobardog posted:

I've heard a lot of anecdotes of creationist doctors and biologists (Ben Carson for example) who just compartmentalize their science knowledge from "God's Truth". It's how stuff like "microevolution" becomes a term.

Well, and the issue is (especially in places in the South like Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, etc.) these nuts then get positions on the school board and start changing the lesson plans to insert their own home spun wisdom, despite the fact that the courts have time and again told them to knock it off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Do keep in mind that these are the same places that had to have the supreme court first beat them back from completely banning evolution, and then beat them back later from mandating creation be taught as well even when they couldn't bar teaching evolution. This is no sort of new movement, it's something that's been ongoing since the dawn of public education in this country - and there's likely been places teaching straight up creation for years. You just wouldn't have heard of them because everyone there agrees that evolution is the devil's work or whatever the gently caress.

No, I'm aware if that.

But there IS new movement, especially in Red States: Charter schools. And defunding Public Education to fund them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Charter schools are whites only schools under another name, a ton of the time. Nothing new really.

No, not in this case. Multiple Private Christian Schools have popped up in my county, and they are sucking the funds out of the Public Schools.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Yes in this case. Those parents' parents didn't "need" the private "christian" school (yeah I bet they're about as Christian as a shinto shrine) when they were growing up, because the public schools were kept "safely" whites only or near enough for their purposes.

....no, they are pretty hardcore Christian. I know one of the local ones teaches Creationism and has a Biblical History class, and does a lot of Christian Rallys.

This is right outside of Atlanta.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Hm yes I can't imagine that there's any demand for majority-white schools near Atlanta

That wasn't the point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

g0del posted:

Aren't there a lot of low-info people in KY who love kynect and simultaneously hate Obamacare? Doesn't this move open him up to attacks from the right claiming that he forced Obamacare on KY?

Kentucky is home to a lot of Evangelicals, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

This merits little more than a "Hey thanks Iran, for picking up our sailors safely. Sorry they drifted into your waters, and thanks for being cool about it."

Pretty much, I had a bunch of DoD friends panic, and then I pointed out that Iran has already, within the hour of the event, said they've verified the story and are trying to get them and their ship sent back safely.

Considering the usual beef we have between us, this is pretty :unsmith: of Iran.

• Locked thread