Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
So what was the purpose of these fires these three ranchers set? Were they actually terroristic (is that even a word.) or is that an over reach?

Not that I agree with the militia. I think it's a "whoever wins we lose" kind of situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
What are the odds the FBI has a mole inside the refuge? They've gotta have something up their sleeve being so hands off. A lot of militia just filtered in after the occupation, that seems easy enough vector for a plant.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I doubt there will be a raid. Seems like the plan is to wait for them to leave the county and pick them up. Cooper is a loving psycho so everyone is waiting for some dramatic final confrontation. When it doesn't happen, it's going to come down to Cooper, Moroni, and Fry's ability to keep the movement going. I doubt it lasts another week.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Archonex posted:

The amount of howling from both sides of the aisle about using armed drones on American citizens would be insane to hear. Never mind that the sort of automated weapons people think of when it comes to drones aren't exactly really precise.

And really, assuming the police haven't started doing that it kind of sets a bad precedent to start now. Or ever, really. Remote operated automated weapon systems take a lot of the burdens of responsibility off of the person using them.

This already happened years ago. Nobody cared.

Archonex posted:

Oh, yeah, I got that. Edited my post but i'll switch it back and post here to clarify that it'd almost surely end up cycling back into the whole "is it right to use drones on american civilians" debate. Since it's still an automated weapon system and people are dumb.

Plus, unless i'm mistaken those sort of weapon systems aren't used by police forces for offensive actions. Outside of a few rare exceptions i'm almost certain that only the military uses that sort of gear.

Giving these chucklefucks any sort of legitimacy at this point is really not a good idea. So i'd hope they'd hold off on that and just carpet bomb the place with flashbangs and tear gas until they give up rather than rely on good old fashioned automated death dispensing machines.

No sane person will give them any legitimacy no matter what happens. They are also already legitimate in the minds of their crazy supporters.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel so bad for this dude.

He started off jovial. Crackin' a joke.

Then the joke turned real. He really is gettin' too old for Nose Ring's poo poo.

e: wow that image was bigger than I thought.

:smith: "I'm gonna have to smash this window"

:smug: "this isn't even my truck."

I feel bad for the kid in that marijuana car but seriously lol

"You are under arrest!"

"I do not consent!"

"He doesn't consent!"

"Call the police!"

"We are the police!"

yeah okay.

And then looking at the comments, all the sovcits are coming out to defend their fellow idiots.Visual evidence of law enforcement reaction to their magic legal spells still doesn't deter them.I don't even :psyduck:

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 28, 2016

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Tei posted:

A solution to the conflict is to build a wall around the building and put "federal jail" in the door of the wall. They are already in federal land.

As for the reaction of this thread to the occupation, you guys are piling on them, piling a lot of hate. Many of you must consider how much of this hate is pure groupthink and mob mentality. Is very, very easy to mock these guys in this thread, and hard, very hard, to defend them (I am not defending them). I personally hate mob mentality.

People getting hated on for being morons and assholes isn't group think, it's motherfucking cause and effect.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

KittyEmpress posted:

As a vegetarian I can't wait until we move onwards to our meat free paradise and all these horrible ranchers are left with worthless, pointless land, and their entire lifestyle is made obsolete.

Basically like how I feel about coal miners, relaly.

Do you own anything metal, such as a car?

Coal mining isn't going away even if better energy sources are utilized as long as we need steel.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

KittyEmpress posted:

This is true but production, much like oil production for plastics only would, could be scaled back massively if we moved away from it as an energy source, which would still result in a glut of mines either slowing down or just shutting down, which would lose hundreds or thousands of people jobs.

Many people use this loss of jobs to show how we shouldn't find better energy sources, and I think that's dumb. But yes, in a perfect world, we would sponsor retraining and teach people to contribute to a society that doesn't need their years of coal mining experience.

I don't disagree, but I do want to point out the coal used for steel is chemically different from the coal used for energy, so those mines wouldn't be affected in the slightest. Also, even if we embraced alternative energy, we would likely just step up our exports of fossil fuels.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
These guys kinda remind me of Caro.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Evil Fluffy posted:

Being holier than thou is pretty much a requirement for vegetarians. It's better when one preaches "right with nature" poo poo at you while ignoring that humans are very clearly omnivores by nature and forcing oneself to be an herbivore is very much not "right with nature" at all.

I'm a vegetarian too, not all are like that. It's just when they are it stands out in people's memory more.

The nature argument is always stupid. Who cares what's natural? The natural way for humans to eat meat is to literally chase an animal in the kalahari desert for hours until one of them dies from heat exhaustion.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

SquadronROE posted:

What I don't get about the Sovereign Citizens and such, is why we aren't just treating them as if they're mentally ill. I mean, they are incredibly delusional - to the point where they can't understand the real world anymore and are a danger to themselves and others since they don't think laws matter. Like that guy in the "Sovereign Citizens getting owned" video who just drove off from the cop during the traffic stop. What if he had been drunk or something?

Most of them think that there can only be a crime if there is an injured party. Are you driving drunk, but nobody is hurt? No crime has been committed then.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, if Cliven is surrounded by armed guards at his ranch at all times, and supposedly can't leave the ranch, why hasn't the FBI cut off supplies and any form of communication with the outside world?

This is their main source of evidence.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Ran Mad Dog posted:

It might have been the Feds mistake to release the video so late, as it gave all of the brainwashed idiots a good chance to absorb the "murdered" narrative and decide what reality was before actually seeing it. Even on Freep though, some old men are saying that after watching the video that Mr. Tarp hosed up and shouldn't have made the movements he did, even if they don't specifically say that he was going for a gun. I doubt that would have happened without the video.

Remember, before the video dropped they were claiming he was on his knees with his hands up and was shot in the face execution style following the SUV getting hosed with hundreds of rounds but the occupants surviving through the power of prayer.

Every single part of that was shown to be false and the narrative shifted so fast it gave me whiplash. There was never going to be a convincing of the true believers, the best outcome was showing everybody else how nutty they were.

Unrelated to this, but people worrying about handing this with kids gloves because it might inspire attacks have the wrong impression. People like McVeigh or Nichols, wouldn't have just gone on to live normal lives if poo poo like Waco didn't happen. They would've latched on to any incident that conflicted with their narrative whether it was a federal government policy or a speeding ticket.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Perfectly Safe posted:

e:

Radicalisation is somewhat circumstantial, though, right? Analysis typically suggests that western adventures in the middle east, especially those involving the deaths of civilians, have increased the risk of terrorist attacks, for example. Even people who possess a natural urge to cause harm still need a trigger, even if it's a delicate one. The idea of being at least somewhat careful is to reduce the risk of more people being radicalised and reduce the risk of those who are already on the brink of "doing something" being tipped over.

They've already made up their mind to do it. McVeigh and Nichols spent a lifetime in the echo chamber and they were going to go off whether it was Waco, some other Clinton conspiracy, or getting a ticket in the Kane's case. Even the nature of their targets is random. Dylann Roof was always going sit through a sermon and murder everyone there no matter how much welfare was cut. If it's not this ideology it's the next because all they're looking for is some way to justify indulging in their violent fantasies. These people are totally unhinged, but notably a totally separate group from the weekend warrior type. This isn't Iraq, no matter how they position their delusions.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

lol those other three militants got themselves charges instead of getting that other dude's dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
the fbi should have just set a fire

like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DVN6s0gas&t=4711s

• Locked thread