Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lethemonster posted:

I can't work out if Helldivers is crossbuy. It's ten pounds more on the PSN store than it is on steam but if I can play it on vita as well as the p4 I'll grab that version. Otherwise I'll get it nearly half the price on steam.

Helldivers is Crossbuy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

elf help book posted:

Why isn't Patton an anime babe?

If they localise Girls Und Panzer, he kinda sorta will be.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Renoistic posted:

How is Valiant Hearts? Does it have any gameplay or do you just walk right and press buttons? It looks interesting, at least.

It was my favourite game of 2014. It's an adventure game where you solve puzzles, but they are kept simple so they are fun things to do with logical steps rather than the instant roadblocks of old-school adventure games. There are action sequences that are legitimately more exciting than some AAA blockbusters, the art style is gorgeous, the characters are interesting, and from a light and almost comic opening it journeys towards an ending which is a real gutpuncher.

I bought, played, and completed this game on PS3. Did the entire thing over again on PS4 when it went free. It's an absolute gem.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Syrinxx posted:

I am the goon-loathed type of gamer who uses trophies/achievements to help motivate me through games so I'm looking forward to a version of VC with trophies to unlock. This is gonna be sweet.

My brother.

I got my PS3 in 2011, initially for just exclusives. Despite it being one of my first purchases, VC has sat on my backlog all this time after playing just enough to let me know it's totally my jam, part of that reason was lack of trophies nudging it lower down on my list. I will absolutely repurchase this for PS4 so I can earn those sweet trophies during my long-delayed playthrough of this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Yes, Sleeping Dogs PS4 for $10! Been waiting forever for this to go on sale. Going to play it and plat it all over again.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Anyone who pays more than $10 for any LEGO game is crazy. There are so many of them, I have a backlog of their titles sitting unplayed that I picked up for $5-$10 each. By the time I'd be ready to play the latest one, it too will be in a sub tenbux sale. I like them, they are fun, but there is never any reason to play them straight away as they come out.

If anything, some of these newer LEGO games are less fun as they added more and more silly minigames to them. Still prefer the simpler days when you'd just pick characters you'd like and bash your way through to the end of the levels.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Isn't Persona 4 Arena one of those rare region locked games? If so, one game fewer for me as I have an Asian console.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

univbee posted:

Ultimax is region-free, only the original version is region-locked.

Nice. Thank you for the clarification. My follow-up dumb question then, does P4A contain any spoilers for Persona 4? My backlog is mighty and I still haven't played that thing.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I bought Ultimax when it was on sale a week or two ago. It was only like $16, but still.

We thank you for your sacrifice.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kirios posted:

The Mass Effect 3 DLC is finally on sale!!!

Yes, good news. Had some credit on my account so bought everything except Citadel, which I'll get at the weekend. Finally ready for my all-trilogy run with all the DLC.

So, I need a non-spoiler guide to Mass Effect 2 and 3 as regards DLC. At what point should each one be played? I've held off playing the sequels for years, and want to make this run as good as possible.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Spuzzz posted:

The only thing I would add is that The Arrival DLC in ME2 should be played after the final story mission. The DLC characters should be recruited as soon the missions are unlocked.

Noted. Thank you.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hell yes corn love forever.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm happy with a free Broforce as it looks hella fun to play, but I'm also certain I'd probably tire of it after a single gaming session. Want to play it, not sure how much money it'd be worth, so yeah I'll take it free and call it good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Flash Sale!

A gazillion things. Divinity Original Sin and Diablo III for $24 look to be the standouts. Huge list though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I got half my red text defending Heavy Rain. Ain't even mad.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Spalec posted:

It's only worse if you want to unlock everything, some of the later unlocks take absurd amounts of resources and time. But nothing that's essential.

While we're asking for recommendations, Life is Strange is worth the $10 right? I heard a lot of good things about it.

It's wonderful, please buy it. It made me cry like a little girl at least 3 times. It's sad and beautiful and clever. Little clunky around the edges due to budget, but it's got heart and soul in abundance. The game is luminous.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

man nurse posted:

What's the consensus on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture being worth $10 or not

Echoing what was said before, it's good but slow, and you've got to be down for what it offers. It's absolutely a great and pretty recreation of a 1984 English village, and it's even a little sad creepy at times.

The soundtrack alone is worth it, stunning work there. All the side story vignettes are great, but I had some issues with the two main characters. Going for the platinum made me replay it a couple of times and somehow the more time I spent with it, the more I just appreciated being in this little time capsule. But then, rainy campsites in 1984 was my childhood, so I got a very specific nostaliga buzz from it. I still get the urge now and then to load it up for a quick wander down the streets for a virtual tour.

Definitely worth playing, and the price is up to you, depending on how much walking simulators are your thing. Pro-tip: there's a "run" button. There's a lot of walking, and moving a bit faster helps mitigate one of the biggest issues people had with it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
We didn't deserve Yechezkel. Farewell sweet prince.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I played some of that there Broforce earlier and thought it was cheesy good times. A brief dabble with Galak-Z makes me want to play more of that too. So, good month? Yeah, good month.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
XCOM made it to Vita? Wow. Buuuuut, is it stripped of content like the iOS port? I bought that, but the lack of maps and muddy textures made it little more than a gimmick to me (and I've technically bought XCOM 5 times so I'm definitely a hardcore fan). If this was the full deal, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be, I'd buy it one more time. Maybe.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, the EU store is currently having a "Under 20 Euro" sale right now and I was looking at some games here and I'd be grateful for some opinions regarding these titles:

Blood Bowl 2 (really enjoyed the first but it's been suspiciously quiet around this game)

Natural Doctrine (it's been a while since I played a SRPG, but I'm note sure about the quality of this title)

Mad Max (not in the sale but it still listed as 17 euro)

Bladestorm: Nightmare (I take it that it's basically Kessen: Medevial Europe, right?)

Resident Evil 0,1,6 and Revelations 2 (I've basically lost track of the Resident Evil series after 4, to be honest)

Are any of these worth a look?

I adored Mad Max. Pre-ordered, so I paid full price. I dropped a hundred hours on that game. First doing a 100% platinum run where I cleaned dat map, then because I still wasn't done with that world I immediately did a minimum required story replay with the cool stuff I unlocked after finishing the game.

And it's Mad Max as gently caress. Game came out on a Tuesday, I spent the Monday before on a 4 movie rewatch MadMaxAthon and this game absolutely fits into the canon. Tons of little callbacks to the films. It's a great little prequel to Fury Road.

It's a highly underrrated game that will be looked back on as a cult classic. Game owns.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

kalensc posted:

Never played any of the following but I've heard good things and/or enjoyed clips I've come across. Anyone here who would definitely recommend/discourage spending $5~ on one of them?

Grow Home
Terraria
Rogue Legacy
Banner Saga
Nidhogg
Super Mega Baseball
Sound Shapes

I'll vouch for Rogue Legacy and Banner Saga (just double dipped on BS after playing it on iPad). Banner Saga is gorgeous, lovely art and style. A little slow between battles, but it has a bit of a Kingdom of Dragon Pass vibe outside of combat. Story is good too, some clunky dialogue aside.

I seem to be the only person who doesn't enjoy Sound Shapes. But it's true.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I can't redeem the Siren Blood Curse bundle on PS+ because a million years ago I bought episodes 1-4. It's also the reason I couldn't buy the bundle when it went on sale that one time in the last 4 years that it did so. Is there any way at all I can redeem the rest of game? I've been waiting literally years to pick it up for less than the full RRP.

Eulisker posted:

They will find a way to cram trophies into ps1 games and sell them to you again.

And some loving idiot will buy them for that reason.

It me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

dwarf74 posted:

My wife and I played through Gone Home tonight. It was real good.

I'm glad we got it through Plus because we probably never would have specifically bought it. But that was a good 3 hours.

Really loved this this game too. Just exploring that house and pieceing together the stories of all the family members was great. Found it way more emotionally affecting than I expected, game got me interested in, and caring about, characters you never meet.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

DrVenkman posted:

Well technically they're on a couple's retreat because they're having marriage problems as they're living in the house the father was molested in in 1963 and the mother is possibly cheating. The safe you find isn't the father's, it was the uncle's. The father keeps writing JFK fanfiction in which someone goes back in time to stop a terrible event because of what happened to him the same year Kennedy died.

I mean on a surface level sure that's right, but I thought it was great with its storytelling without being explicit about anything.

Oh man, I read all the things, got all the story, but I never made that connection about the father's books.

Did anyone else think that the mother wrote the bodice-ripping book about having an affair with a firefighter? She's the wife of a writer, had an affair exactly like that, putting her experience into a secretly written steamy pot-boiler that is more successful than her husband's books is absolutely a thing I can see happening.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Black Flag is a different game once out on the ocean though. If I had to grade it, I'd say one if by land, two if by sea.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Shadow of Mordor. Hnnf. Got into a fight with a couple of captains, I'm overwhelmed and backing off, climbing a tower to snipe. One of the captains decides to retreat, camera zooms in on him and he does a dramatic "I am crotchscratch and I will be back" before cheesing it.

Kill another captain and he keeps coming back in ever more hosed up state. Cut half his face off at one point, returns in a burlap sack tied around his head with ropes.

Get into a mega brawl with 5 captains, one of which Bumfuck the Poet has been present at 3 of my arsekickings. I now hate that guy, and will hunt all of Mordor to murderise him.

Every single one of these named orcs has more personality and character than 95% of villains in all of gaming history.

Game owns.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Snowy posted:

Is the story good in Middle Earth at least? I don't care about easy combat, I'm pretty lazy so that's a good thing in my book. If there's a decent story and characters and the action looks cool then it's good for me.

Easy combat is a lie. Sometimes. I was in fights with 5 captains and about 60 dudes at one point last night, including dudes with shields, and spearthrowers, couple of archers sniping from up on towers. It was so good.

Story is all just blah blah blah dead wives, we're ghosts now, boo hoo or something. All I care about is taking revenge on that scrub orc who sniped me in my last fight and who is now a captain working his way up the ranks.

The map is eh, the story I don't care about, but those orcs you fight are just so goddamn great to fight and kill and even die to. They are just the best characters. I said it earlier, but I'd legit put any of these random orcs ahead of most villains in any other game. They get great dialogue (with surprisingly great lip sync animations) and the nemesis system is every good as everyone has ever said.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

MeatwadIsGod posted:

How's Mad Max? I like the Mad Max movies but am not a devoted fan or anything.

I adored it at full price, 100 hours, platinum trophy, two playthroughs. I still want more. A lot of people poo poo on it, but it's destined to become a cult classic.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Ape Agitator posted:

Absolutely enjoying the hell out Amazing Discoveries in Outer Space. It brings me back to late 80s lander games only with some nice emergent experiences. I arrived in a system and was surprised to find two planets that weren't orbiting the star. I thought it was strange but landed to explore anyway.

Suddenly a shadow crept over the planet's surface and then the other planet impacted and disintegrated. Now I'm running for my life, on fire from the incredible heat increase, trying to make it to my ship before the planet impacts the star.

Already made my $7 bucks worth.

I've never heard of this game before today, but you sir just made a sale.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Aggro posted:

Are there any good couch co-op games available on the PS Store? Ideally something super casual that I can play with the wife.

Star Wars Battlefront just had splitscreen couch co-op botmatches added to its main 20v20 Walker Assault mode. Three levels of difficulty, on easy you'd basically never die, and both of you could be heroes at the same time. If you're into Star Wars, running around as Han and Leia together blasting stormtroopers is gold.

This is a new mode they added, Battlefront already had a bunch of survival missions you could play in splitscreen co-op, they've just extended it into the main multiplayer gametype, with more to come.

Game regularly goes on sale for $30.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Neverwinter is actually... kinda good. It's generic d&d as hell, but then it literally is a Dungeons and Dragons franchise so it's allowed to be. All the MMO tropes are there, you know what these games are going in. But the combat so far has played more lile a third-person ARPG. I've got a level 13 hunter ranger, and I'm sorta aiming with the right stick to select specfic targets rather than full autolock, and I'm dodging around both with a stamina meter and a special evade power on a cooldown. Enemies have marked attack areas and I'm avoiding those like in a legit action game, and despite looking like, and being structured like, every other MMO ever made, it's not just about rolling your knuckles across a set of hotkeys. Feels made for controller as an action game.

I'd never have bothered if it cost money, but I've lost a few mindless hours to it so far and it fills the time when you want to see numbers go up and forget the real world. Already have two horses and an electric tiger to ride around on, and a bunch of legit semi skill-based combat skills unlocked. It's far from a classic, but as free games go it's worth a look.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Indigo Prophecy is coming to PS4. You can now play every David Cage game on one console.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Huh, a game I never knew existed. Will have to look up videos of that one, see how weird it gets.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So I'm looking this thing up on Wikipedia and... David Bowie is in it? Wut?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Warriors chat. I just decided to throw money at the PS4 version as I had the PS3 port from a while back and wanted to test the waters with these PS4 remasters with a frame of reference. It's good stuff. Background textures aren't anything to write home about, but the character models look super sharp in 1080p. Looks like an old game, but fresh and clean enough to justify a purchase in 2016. And it feels like minor witchcraft to see trophies pop while playing a PS2 game on a system two generations down the line, and getting the automated screenshot to record it.

I'm definitely going to double dip on the other Rockstar classics I already own at some point. All the PS4 bells and whistles, 1080p, and that sweet trophy goodness. Mostly waiting for Vice City Stories to come out as that's my favourite 3D GTA and trophy hunting to that soundtrack will be awesome.

Pro-tip: If you do get Warriors, first thing you do is go into options and set the screen to wide so you don't need to play in 4:3.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Luminous Cow posted:

I want a fun multi-player shooter. The only shooter I have on ps4 is Destiny. I've heard overwatch is cool, but is there anything else out there I should look at? How's call of duty doing? I haven't played cod since mw first came out. I just want something kinda casual that I can jump in on and shoot dudes.

Star Wars Battlefront. Added a load of free content since launch, and is a great game to play casually between other games.

Battlefield 1 is only two months away and that's going to be awesome.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I bought GTA:SA by itself and the camera is definitely wonky. It's especially bad when you're aiming because it will switch to whatever the character is looking at, not the camera.

And San Andreas is the only one of the trilogy that even uses the right stick as a proper camera control. I was genuinely shocked when I picked up Vice City (very LTTP) and found right-stick camera control still wasn't a standard by that point.

It's amazing how beloved those old GTA games are considering most of the gameplay is utter garbo. I've bought most of them more than once, and will again to get the PS4 versions at some point, but man alive the shooting was a bag of hot rear end, and the lack of checkpoints... and the health regen system...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

morallyobjected posted:

if no one's grabbed it, I'll take Remember Me (and thanks!)

This is one of my top ten games of all time. PLEASE play it with the original French audio otherwise it loses so much in translation. In French, there is poetry here.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Well I'm up to rank 25 in the Battlefield 1 beta despite it having only one map. Guess I'm going to preorder then. Might even try the second game mode at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm not surprised considering you were the only other goon I ever saw playing Battlefront and they are the same game (I love it too).

I do find most shootmans very similar for the most part, and I'm never actually good at them so I'm all about the set dressing. Throw in some AT-ATs or biplanes and I'm suddenly able to enjoy myself for hours just "being there" while I drag my team down to second place.

Being the nose gunner in a WW1 bomber strafing ground targets is my new favourite thing in videogames. So good.

• Locked thread