Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My new year's resolution is to stop forwarding my paycheque to PSN. I gotta get to my backlog sometime, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PSNow got a pretty big pile of Playstation-exclusive games.

quote:

Alone in the Dark: Inferno
Anarchy: Rush Hour (New)
Armageddon Riders (New)
Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Atelier Rorona Plus
Bentley’s Hackpack (New)
Big Sky: Infinity (New)
Bomberman Ultra
Chime Super Deluxe
Class of Heroes 2G (New)
Crash Commando (New)
Deception IV: Blood Ties
detuned (New)
Doki-Doki Universe (New)
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires (New)
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (New)
Eat Them! (New)
Echochrome
Elefunk (New)
Everyday Shooter (New)
Fat Princess
Flow (New)
Flower (New)
Go! Puzzle (New)
God of War: Chains of Olympus (New)
God of War: Ghosts of Sparta (New)
God of War HD
God of War II
God of War III
God of War: Ascension
Gravity Crash (New)
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi
Heavenly Sword (New)
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (New)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings
Ico
inFamous
inFamous 2
inFamous: Festival of Blood
Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom (New)
Journey (New)
Killzone 2 (New)
Killzone 3
Killzone HD (New)
Lemmings (New)
Linger in Shadows (New)
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
Lumines Supernova
Magus
Mamorukun Curse! (New)
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma II
Numblast (New)
Okabu (New)
PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Eden Encore (New)
PixelJunk Monster
PixelJunk Monster Encore (New)
PixelJunk Racers: 2nd Lap
PixelJunk Shooter
PixelJunk Shooter 2
PixelJunk Sidescroller
Piyotama
Planet Minigolf
Puppeteer
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
Rainbow Moon nonDLC
Ratchet & Clank Future All 4 One
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (New)
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Resistance 3
Ricochet HD (New)
Savage Moon (New)
Shadow of Colossus
Siren: Blood Curse Episode 1-12
Sky Fighter
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Snakeball (New)
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype
Sound Shapes
Spelunker HD
Starhawk (New)
Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
Super Stacker Party (New)
Super Stardust HD
Tales from Space: About a Blob Premium Bundle
The Last Guy
The Last of Us
The Last of Us Left Behind
The Sly Collection
The Unfinished Swan (New)
Tokyo Jungle
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
Toy Home (New)
Trash Panic (New)
Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll (New)
Twisted Metal
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception – Game of the Year Edition (New)
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late (New)
Wakeboarding HD (New)
Warhawk
When Vikings Attack (New)
White Knight Chronicles (New)
Xblaze Code: Embryo (New)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yoya posted:

some new ps4 pre orders are hitting 84.99 on amazon.ca so that might be the new baseline msrp :mcnabb:

wellllp. What titles?

And yeah, sale prices seem to be more agressive so I guess we'll have to learn to wait a little.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Is this lower or higher than the norm for Canada? This equates to ~$60 USD.

Define "norm". At launch in 2013/early 2014, new games were $60CAD, it's been steadily creeping up since then due to the exchange rate. That said, during the Clinton years and a bit before they were also $80CAD, sometimes higher if you were getting a memory-heavy jRPG or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XenoCrab posted:

Where do you see newish games going on sale for $50 in Canada (other than Black Friday/Boxing Day sales)? Any retailer I have access to is total garbage when it comes putting retail games on sale.

Amazon and Best Buy are pretty agressive with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

El Hefe posted:

I want to play Dragon Quest VII and VIII now since I never played them either, too bad they aren't available on PSN.

FYI they are both getting a Western 3DS release this year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MisterAlex posted:

I guess Amazon.jp doesn't sell PSN cards? All I'm seeing are inflated prices from third-party sellers. :(

There's still a markup and it takes like 12 hours to get, but Solaris Japan has I think the lowest markup, like 11000 yen for a 10k yen code

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Isn't the Japanese sales tax 10% right now? Unless the sale of digital codes is specifically excluded from sales tax, that wouldn't even be a markup.

The prices on digital items in Japan already includes the tax. In fact, prices got all kinds of hosed because everything was tweaked to have clean prices at 5% tax. Then they raised it to 8% so items had prices like 627 yen and it's basically impossible to cleanly spend an entire wallet card now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh, Sony is reading this thread, as Dragon Age 2 is on sale for $6 in a Playstation Essentials sale, along with the GTA Trilogy on PS2 on PS4 for $17.49 and various other goodies.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh, and there's finally a sale on Xenogears you can thank me for since I bought it for full price recently. $3 for PS+ members ($4 for non-members).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So where is the place to get prepaid codes to buy stuff from the japanese PSN?

Can you wait 12ish hours?

http://solarisjapancards.com/collections/frontpage/products/playstation-network-card?variant=1191187021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

I have used these guys here for a few years now (they accept Paypal):
http://jp-ecards.ocnk.net/

The average wait time varies -- sometimes I get it in like 5 minutes, other times it takes them a few hours.

Yeah, these guys are good too, bought a bunch from them in the past. I think Solaris is slightly cheaper but to be completely honest it's been months since I checked.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one definitely, the second is, uh, more of an acquired taste.

The second one definitely has issues and flaws that the first one doesn't really have, although the storyline does do some interesting, if anime-as-gently caress, things. I enjoyed it but I think you have to be the right type of weeaboo to. At least you probably have to think the first game is really good; if it was just "OK" for you, you might as well skip the 2nd.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think the sheer scale of that level of credit makes it tricky. We see it as 14 cents and hardly worth it, but aren't they up to 10 million+ PS+ subscriptions now? That's a good million+ dollars in credits. Someone is so fired.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Yeah but how many of those subscriptions will expire before March and how many people will even remember to redeem this?

I think that's part of the point. By creating a situation where some people might forget, they'll save a few bucks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

What else is there? The only thing I've got my eye on right now is the Darkest Dungeon full release.

Seems like most of my hurt's going to be further in the year, when all the big-name JRPG's start dropping.

Fire Emblem Fates and its expansions/Collector's Editions, Street Fighter V and an absolute shitton of expensive-as-gently caress controllers for it, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Far Cry Primal, Xcom 2, Mighty No. 9, the 3DS version of Mega Man Legacy Collection (and physical versions for all platforms) all drop in February, and then the wallet hurt continues in March with Twilight Princess HD, The Division, Hitman which is at least episodic now so you can get it on it for only $15, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. :sonia:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dross posted:

Scarcity is not a factor in digital pricing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

So, is there any work around for PSN just suddenly deciding it doesn't like your card? I don't mind using PayPal, it all comes from the same account anyway, it's just annoying because it should loving work.

Try funding your wallet through a console and see if that works.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KoB posted:

Does the PS4 work the same as the PS3 wrt getting games on my japanese account and then I can play those using my normal account?

Essentially yes although only really with one PS4 you would activate as the primary for the Japanese account.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For North America

Far Cry sale, you can get FC4 including bundles with the season pass for 67-70% off. 50-75% off all the PS3 Far Cries.

Square Enix Sale, basically everything Final Fantasy-related other than FF7 for PS4 is 50% off (although the PS1 downloadable FF7 is 50% off), along with Parasite Eve 2 and 3, Drakengard 3, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Lord of Arcana, Crystal Defenders

Also Thief, Sleeping Dogs Definitive PS4, Tomb Raider Definitive PS4, and Murdered: Soul Suspect are 75% off.

PS+ sale:

Rainbow Six Siege Gold Edition is 25% off.
Just Cause 3 (both bundles) is 25% off.
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires 20% off

The following titles haven't had the sales prices applied yet:

Rock Band 4
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (PS4)
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Danganronpa Another Episode
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (PS4 and Vita versions, not cross-buy)
Disgaea 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Grand Ages: Medieval
Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends (PS4 and PS3, not cross-buy)
Superbeat: Xonic
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
WRC 5 (PS3, PS4 and PS Vita, no cross-buy)

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 26, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barren_sky posted:

drat, I've been waiting for a good deal on a turn-based RPG for PS4, but of course FFVII and X/X-2 are the only Square games not on sale.

Oh whoops, I missed this, forgot it was released on all three platforms and assumed one of the two listed was PS4. :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detheros posted:

FFV on PSX is just bad all around.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

FFV on PSX has load times that don't exist in the original, but they are for some reason noticeably better in FFV than they are in the port of FFVI in the same anthology. I have no idea why.

The PS1 only has 3.5 megabytes of RAM (I forget the exact distribution but it totals to that) and the various PS1 ports have to strategically keep dumping and re-copying sections of data because for some of the later, larger games, there isn't enough memory for everything. Chrono Trigger is the worst, because it's a 4 meg game and for some reason Square Enix decided to make the NA version use the Japanese ROM with an English translation patch being applied on-the-fly which absolutely murdered the load time requirements.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Looks like Rock Band 4 will be 30% off. And Kung Fu Panda is 20% off, since I know you were all waiting on that one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee posted:

The following titles haven't had the sales prices applied yet:

Rock Band 4
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (PS4)
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Danganronpa Another Episode
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (PS4 and Vita versions, not cross-buy)
Disgaea 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Grand Ages: Medieval
Superbeat: Xonic
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
WRC 5 (PS3, PS4 and PS Vita, no cross-buy)

All of these are 30% off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Isn't Persona 4 Arena one of those rare region locked games? If so, one game fewer for me as I have an Asian console.

Ultimax is region-free, only the original version is region-locked.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Watrick posted:

I'm really stoked about P4A. I gather there are 21 characters. Is there a lot of DLC that is necessary, or is the base game enough?

IIRC all the DLC is pretty incidental, things like alternate colors, different narration voices and unlocking hints for challenge mode. I'm pretty sure there's no major DLC like for extra characters and anything affecting gameplay like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

Holy crap, Xbox one sales are pretty terrible in Japan!

Yeah, it released 7 months after the PS4 and very very few people there care about the exclusives the console offers (especially since it's now an automatic given that any game not made by Microsoft is a de facto timed exclusive), not to mention the console's size being off-putting for Japanese home entertainment arrangements and Microsoft burning a ton of good will when they launched the first Xbox and summarily fired most of the Japanese staff on release day there. At least there's a Japanese Killer Instinct player who placed in 7th at EVO. :shobon:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

The listing appears to be an unlock key, as there are no downloadable packages. Is that right?

Yeah, the game has a 9 gig patch now. I actually checked a few games last night and quite a few seem to be going this huge patch route now, somewhat troubling, kind of wondering if it's still worth tracking patch sizes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also the EA Sports games other than Madden seem to be heavily discounted, as is Need for Speed 2015.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also that indoor Golf Game where you smash everything with a flaming golf ball.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

Is there any restriction on purchasing M-rated games digitally? Would it be entirely possible to buy Dark Souls III with my Japanese PSN account?

AFAIK the only restrictions which exist in any PSN territory, assuming you're not using a sub account, is buying CERO Z-rated games, but this is a heavy government restriction in Japan and any Japanese dev trying to sell a respectable number of copies of their title isn't going to release a CERO Z-rated game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lets hang out posted:

They don't really do well, they're just extremely cheap to make. Same as your senran kaguras and your bullet girls and so on.

This. It's most common on translated U.S. games that are too gory for a CERO-D rating, plus killing innocent people consequence-free gets you an automatic CERO-Z so even Infamous: Second Son and Retro City Rampage have that rating. Japanese-made games tend to go out of their way to avoid the rating, though; there were even a handful of games where the Playstation versions were censored CERO-D versions while the Xbox versions were CERO-Z, and sometimes the Playstation Collector's Edition.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If it ain't broke, you're not playing an Onechanbara game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa. Shiren the Wanderer 5 is getting an English enhanced release on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4) in July.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

what type of game?

The Super Famicom one was sort of like Secret of Mana except a harder lean towards turn-based elements, and it's a roguelike (death reverts you to the start of the game at Experience Level 1, with limited avenues for carry-over between "lives".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Harlock posted:

Another Ubisoft sale :effort:

Please buy Watch Dogs, please!!

Also Deadpool PS4 at 40ish% off, and NBA2K16 for 33-50% off depending on the edition you get. Note I think the percentages might be different between Canada and the U.S. (I posted the Canada numbers).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

While I'm here, Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS4 supposedly has all DLC from the 360/PS3 version, but it's not clear if it's on-disc or if it's downloadable. Anyone knows which is which?

Due to (allegedly) Ubisoft getting some sort of exclusivity deal with Tetris, Puyo Puyo Tetris is only available on disc, and all content is on the disc, no patch or anything required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I take it the two PS4 Rugby games, with 20-ish Metacritic scores, haven't gotten some miracle content update making them any better?

• Locked thread