Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I remember seeing the flight to Yuzho Sakhalinsk from Tokyo on skyscanner, it's surprisingly cheap, I think it had a stopover in Vladivostok though, so maybe the final leg is done with some cheap, terrifying domestic airliner.

I'd love to check out Sakhalin one day. I like rear end end of the world type of places like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I pay 1300 yen a month for national health insurance. I think they'll raise it for next year but I think my dog tore up the envelope containing that information, so I guess I will just wait and see because gently caress calling the ward office and keigo'ing myself to a new envelope.

I actually think health insurance here is not such a bad deal, even coming from Holland, considering how cheap most doctor's visits are, and how generous they are with medication compared to Europe. Or maybe I just had a really stingy doctor in my own country.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just cycle on the left side of the road and stare down anyone dumb enough to come from the other direction.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Original_Z posted:

Most roads are too narrow to accommodate bikers and cars, it's stressful and dangerous for both parties involved. Roads that are big enough to accommodate bikers are guaranteed to have cars parked on the side of the road, forcing people to dangerously weave in and out of traffic.

Bike lanes, when they do exist, are useless because they're just scattered at random and disappear after a few blocks, and are usually too narrow to use safely. Oh, and people just walk in the lanes anyway since it's just a painted part of the sidewalk, usually a part that also runs through bus stops, electricity poles, and trees..

It's a miracle that the cycling culture survives in spite of how bike-unfriendly Tokyo is and that there aren't more fatalities. Unfortunately, most of the PSAs and news reports are directed at cyclists and how dangerous they are. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd make the PSAs tell people to not walk in the bike lanes and their "safety week" campaigns would focus on stopping and educating people walking in the lanes and aggressively ticketing cars who are parked on the side of the roads.

Or, just invest in some actual cycling infrastructure.

I know all of that is true, but there's also a bad habit of just riding on the wrong side. At some point I got tired of moving out of the way of old ladies driving on the right.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Don't go to the stupid loving robot restaurant.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't care about authenticity but the robot restaurant just seems so stupid. You know those ads in inflight magazines for random singing and dancing shows at your arrival destination aimed at white middle class people who don't know how to have an actual good time in another country? That's what the robot restaurant is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caught a whiff of someone smoking weed in yoyogi the other day. I was with my wifes friends, who are mostly goody two shoes girls. It was funny how most of them instantly recognized the smell. I think they all secretly smoked it once.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Then again, they're just trees.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't expect people to know all of the differences between different European countries because they have no reason to know about them, but it does really bug me when somebody just bluntly assumes that I'm American.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's the best way to get a card that works in overseas ATMs in Japan? I want to move some of my Japan money to Holland, but I still don't quite get the way banks work here. I have a Japan Post account, which just issued me a stripless ATM card which doesn't work anywhere else in the world. Is there a bank which gives me a real, Maestro-like card that will let me withdraw from foreign ATMs without problems? I'd rather not get a credit card because it hardly seems worth it, and I just use my Dutch mastercard for everything here anyway.

Or should I just do an international transfer? Or physically take my yen and exchange it somewhere? I can't find a lot of good information on this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

As far as I know the actual "city center" is the area stretching from ueno down to taito and bunkyo and marunouchi and nihonbashi. Shinjuku was then built where it is because it's a seismically stable area, so that's where the skyscrapers are. The area around Shibuya is where a lot of big townhouses and embassies used to be (and the latter still are) so that became a center too. Ikebukuro is the entry point for every line from Saitama, so altogether they form a kind of big U-shaped string of city centers around the palace.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like how decrepit 70's and 80's hotels in Japan often still have old timey arcades in their basements with cabinets that they never switched out. It's always a surprise what games you can find there. Last time I was at a place like that in Ito I had to ask reception if they could switch the power on so I could play for a bit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm going to go home for a while and won't renew my spouse visa I think (it expires in July), but I plan to come back in a few years with another spouse visa. Should I tell the government that I'm moving out? Should I just stop paying health insurance? Or can I just go home and let the visa expire?

There's a whole webpage with information about this
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/q-and-a_page2.html
... but it's loving unreadable. It seems to threaten you with fines if you don't return your residence card, but does that really happen?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was told by my father in law that I could simply cancel my health insurance and go home, and renew my visa before it expires if I feel I should. He is an immigration solicitor but my Japanese is not at the level where I can discuss complicated legal stuff with him, and my wife is already in Holland, she normally translates for this kind of stuff. He is my sponsor and said I could just go home and return whenever I want on my current visa, canceling my health insurance for the time and renewing or not as needed but I want to make sure.

I don't have outstanding bills or anything like that. Not sure how that makes me a "cheap prick". Do you people have anger issues?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well I'm back in Japan to meet the family and it's hot. Why must it be hot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you want good easy ramen go to bigiya in gakugeidaigaku, michelin recommended and usually no queue

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I went to Disneyland, my wife really wanted to go but I enjoyed it too since I'm afraid of heights and can't ride rollercoasters for real men. The only palatable popcorns there are the honey one and the salty one, caramel is an inherently vile substance and so is white chocolate.

I saw Mickey Mouse.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I missed izakayas. Getting drunk as gently caress off salty lichee highballs and hoppy while shoveling 200 yen plates of fried oysters down my mouth with an empty beer crate for a chair kicks rear end.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Or Haippi, which is the thinking man's Hoppy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Idk man the ryokan thing seems cool but it seems pretty $$$ to do correctly. Business hotels are cheap and then you can spend your money elsewhere I guess?

Disclaimer: I'm waiting to board my first flight to Tokyo

A "proper" Kyoto style ryokan can be very expensive, if you want a huge room and an in house onsen. I personally don't think it's worth the cost of doing it more than once.

But Japan is full of minshuku's, which still usually have Japanese style rooms, only simpler and usually with a shared bathroom. The food can also still be really good in a minshuku, I stayed in a minshuku a little ways west of Shimoda, for example, which was just a room in the house of a local fisherwoman who would go out and dive for seafood every day to serve to the guests. The dinner was huge, with really great seashell soup and whatnot, but we still didn't pay more than 3000 yen a night. Places like that are hard to find without knowing Japanese though.

In the cities business hotels are often your only cheap option, although there might be reasonably priced airbnb's and some inner city minshuku's or minimalist ryokans exist, like this one in Tokyo: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066442-d320548-Reviews-Homeikan-Bunkyo_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 31, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cbear posted:

Thanks for all the replies on the itinerary my friends. You guys rock. I already booked my accommodations for the Osaka and Kyoto legs today.

My next question is do you guys recommend staying in two different parts of Tokyo for the two split legs? I think we will stay in Shibuya and Shinjuku for one of the legs. Just wondering what other areas are recommended for the other one.

Appreciate all the help so far.

If you want to go to Disneyland: stay around Tokyo station/hatchobori.

I'm flying to Osaka for a little 3 day trip today, probably going to go to Shirahama beach, Kyoto and eat horumon.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Akihabara has a shimonya branch and is thus worth visiting

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Injuryprone posted:

I agree completely. The wife wants to do half and half as she doesn't know Korea is one big mall.

It's actually one big restaurant

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Next time I'm here I want to fly to Sapporo, then go down to Hakodate, take the ferry across to the osorezan peninsula, rent a car and drive around there and to Aomori and then go home from there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tokyo isn't really a place to see anything. It's a place where you shove food in your mouth as fast as you can.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what's the best way getting around Tokyo? Train?

On foot, if you're like me

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

I want Japan to import the concept of trash cans in public spaces.

There used to be public trans cans before the aum attack, I was told.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yukatas are comfortable but i only wear them indoors because ultimately I can't shake the feeling that I'm wearing a dress

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

Two questions:

1) Best place to buy a nice backpack for around 5000 to 20000 yen? I know of Tokyu Hands and other department stores but I'm wondering if there are Japanese specific high end brands that I should check out

Mont Bell is pretty nice I think. I dunno if MB is that high quality but it's a typically Japanese brand that specializes in outdoor stuff, they have big stores everywhere, there's one in Kyobashi, for example.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 11, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jpop is just loving boring with all the same synchronized dances and creepy infantilized girls over and over. Overall I really like Japanese music though, just not pop music.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

Just jazz/fusion by Japanese artists I guess.

Mouse on the Keys, Fox Capture Plan, Cornelius, Toconoma, and Masayoshi Takanaka are some of my favorites.

Maher Shalal Hash Baz is good naiivist music with jazz influences. The lead artist used to be in a group that planned to kill the emperor.

I really like some Japanese folk music like Nagisa Ni Te and some noise rock like Number Girl and stuff. Also Matsuwa by Amin, a girl duo literally named after Idi Amin because they thought his name sounded cool and they knew nothing about him.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm going to Japan next week and while I've a good idea on what to do in Tokyo, I'm still a little unsure about what to do in Osaka.

I know the Dotonbori but what other interesting sights are around Osaka?

Go to the korean neighborhood with all the small alleys and eat like a swine. Go to the aquarium too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm going to Japan next week and while I've a good idea on what to do in Tokyo, I'm still a little unsure about what to do in Osaka.

I know the Dotonbori but what other interesting sights are around Osaka?

Dotonbori also kind of sucks and isn't worth visiting for more than a stroll, unless you want to see 20 white people lining up to eat ramen at some chain store mentioned in their lonely planet or really like the sound of the Chinese language. The same goes for Kuromon market. Tsuruhashi is a good station to get off from and eat I thought (I don't live in Osaka though and there might be better places), I ate horumon at a popular place called Sora and it was really good so if you're into that sort of thing I recommend that.

Netflix has an episode of Ainsley Eats the Streets in Osaka which features a few restaurants that are pretty decent.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ntan1 posted:

I made the mistake of stopping by the Akihabara Matsumoto Kiyoshi because a friend wanted to buy some stuff there. Some Chinese employee came up to me and started rudely screaming into my face in Chinese. Was kinda annoyed by this and tried to find a Japanese employee but couldn't, and then walked out of the store. It felt like I was transported to a different country for a second.

The worst part of this is that my friend is Chinese American and doesn't understand Chinese, but I'm Chinese American as well and do understand Chinese but speak Japanese more fluently. I totally knew what the Chinese employee was saying.

The even more worst part of this is that by Chinese American I mean Taiwanese American.

Well what did they say? Why would staff shout at you?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I miss the manic Tokyu Store jingle, which is probably less than a minute long and plays on a loud loop all day to keep the staff motivated

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

The best is the Yamada Denki song in LABI stores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aR-DnEcM8

[in an extremely American voice] Book-Off Information Book-Off Information The Music

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I seriously don't know how anyone can work in Tokyu Store no, at least Ozeki doesn't have a jingle, just a person shouting over a megaphone about discounts

This is probably also why I prefer to shop at Lidl and Aldi back home, those places don't have a soundtrack

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well poo poo, I'm going back there in december but today I accidentally spilled coffee on my passport. It's not too bad, the main page (made of hard plastic) is unaffected but the middle two visa pages have a stain running down the spine. According to the passport authority in my country that means it's still valid since everything is still legible and nothing is falling apart but we all know what Japanese bureaucrats are like. Anyone ever got poo poo from immigration trying to enter with a not-pristine passport?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do they use passport scanners in the airports in Tokyo? I only recall manual checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I went early as recommended and ended up going to Meiji Jingu where it looked like a wedding was happening but there were still tourists everywhere getting right up to where the ceremony was going on?

Also tons of people wheeling luggage around the place?

It's always like that, every time I've been there there was a wedding because it's just very popular.