Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The 100 (s3) - "Good Talk"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the City of Light is some Matrix thing?

This is my bet. He was literally handing him the red blue pill. It could also be how she "saved" everyone, think The Library on Doctor Who or Zanarkand in Final Fantasy X. So the CIty of Light is a VR where billions of humans have continued to live and develop civilization since everything blew up. I'm assuming that without adequate power the AI was unable to contact survivors in space or places like Mt Wx; now that Jaha has taken a nuke and turned it into a power source they can now do so and...ok I have no idea how that will benefit anyone in either world but whatevs.

I liked that they explained the reason they were staying in Camp Not Jaha and looting Mt Wx instead of living there was because if they did it would start a war with the Grounders who'd figure "here we go again!" Makes sense.

I was a bit surprised that they kept Abbie on as Chancellor but I suppose that between Kane wanting to be pedantically legal about having handed power off to her plus admitting he'd rather be a strong second banana/organizer. I'm assuming this based on the fact that everyone, including Kane called her "Chancellor" and they just called him "Kane".

Astroman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well it's not a great explanation, but it's better than what you'd have gotten in a non serialized show of 30 years ago, where they would have just never mentioned it again. Or a :bsg: style "We all voted to not live in this ultra civilized, fully functional bunker and instead flew it into the sun."

Also reminder, for insights into the show, check out the 100 Writer's Room twitter. https://twitter.com/The100writers

They drop cool poo poo, like the fact that Clarke did indeed dye her hair with berries.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

Huh, I kinda liked Wix.

I hope that once the peace stars to fall apart anyway, they move into the god damned defensible mountain bunker.

I have to say, after hearing the tomb comments, and "it creeps me out" I kinda want an ep where they go to the Haunted Bunker. It makes them not moving in worth it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

I wondered that too. I guess we just half to chalk it up to them clearing out some existing roads/paths in the intervening 3 months. I actually felt the timeskip might have better served the show if it was more like a year. I'm not sure it would have really affected much had it been longer.

Could also have been a "future road" that is more durable than our modern roads. Remember the apocalypse took place like 50-100 years or so after our time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

Octavia's "we're back bitches" set to Radioactive is probably what gets most people to drop the show after the pilot - but it's also probably what sold CW executives to pick up the show, as it was developed at a time when teen girls was still their biggest audience.

Yeah, I nearly tuned out after that, and I'm glad I didn't. Such a different show from what it seemed.

Error 404 posted:

I'm ok with it because it is far better than what some (old) sound designer imagines will be cool in the future. It's a cultural shorthand for 'this person is cool and likes cool things, please add this to your suspension of disbelief kthnx'.

I have no problem with it even as what they were actually listening to because it lends to the feeling that culture pretty much froze at the apocalypse.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

yeah it was probably on the ark in a part of a cultural preservation of classical music. Just like how kids today think that Picasso and DaVinci were probably around the same time, Jasper will look at Van Gogh and think it's from the same time as Imagine Dragons.

Yeah, I think no matter what the year, there's always gonna be 14 year olds who discover Led Zeppelin and make it their thing unironically.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Abbie: "You should be the Chancellor"
Kane: "Let's hold an election when we get back"
Abbie: "Sure!"

Lexa: "The leader of SkyCru must branded with a hot iron."
Abbie: "It's all you Kane!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whelp so much for Mt Wx :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I suddenly understand why Pyke is so militantly against the grounders in the season preview trailer. Literally all of Farm Station is now dead.

All the Tailies are dead. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Called that one

So who were those ambassadors around the Ice Queen? I'm having trouble keeping track of what just happened.

Probably other tribes from the midwest or something?

It seems the post apocalypse is pretty lousy with people actually.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

I love it. All his life he has been operating on "We must sacrifice these people so ALL of us can survive." and it made complete sense because he was right based on their knowledge at the time. But all that is because he just believes in survival of humanity above all else. Then he lands down on the ground, gets that humanity is a much bigger thing, and just extends that same protection to everyone. His character never does a turn, nobody talks to him and turns him to the right side - the circumstances make it so that he has the opportunity to do positive things to further humanity's survival.

And while that is going on, the viewer realizes that he was never a bad guy. In fact I don't think there is a character more willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good in the show.

He was always empathetic and capable, it's just that in the Ark empathy means death and capable means calculating the odds to survive.

(In comparison Mount Weather has no excuse. Monty was right, they should have committed suicide. :shrug:)

l am a Kane Superfan and am glad he's Chancellor again. He is the most deserving of the role (and thank God they didn't tween out and give to Clarke so she could be Teen President for reasons).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now the next thing can a local DC person and/or trainsperg tell us if that's a current map or they added more stuff in the next 40 odd years?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope Ice Nation doesn't go way up to Canada because it means they can keep ramping it up season after season with "...well now wait til you see THESE GUYS from just over the NEXT hill!" and have wild storylines with desert warriors from Kentucky or Jungle Men from Idaho or degenerate radioactive mutants of Texas or whatever. To say nothing of what's going on in other countries. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So Jaha literally landed in The Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E4 Watch the Throne

Clarke learns the identity of the author of a devious plan; Kane fights to keep the peace; Jasper acts recklessly out of grief.

:supaburn:

Just add "Murphy makes a crazy decision that upsets everyone" and that could be the synopsis of every episode...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still chuckling at Abby and Kane tossing the Chancellor pin back and forth, then Pike comes up out of nowhere and snatches it while dunking on those 2 nerds. :slick:

LOL that's the best description of what happened!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

also I thought the Chancellor still had to vote on stuff and wasn't just a dictator.

There was a Council, Kane and Abby were on it and I think Abby's friend who vanished after the first couple eps but we haven't seen much of it so I assume most of them perished in the shennanigans on the Ark or in the subsequent crash.

Even so, Jaha was making some pretty tough unilateral decisions in the first episodes, floating people, sending the kids down, deciding to cut off people's air, etc. I actually think I want to rewatch those episodes to see the Large and In Charge Jaha vs Matrix Cult Leader Jaha of this season. I bet it's a huge contrast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

Maybe I'm just defending lovely writing but I don't see Bellamy's change of heart to be that big of a reveal. He's always been a douchebag and he values power and control.

Yeah, this would not be a shock at all if it was first season Bellamy, especially the first few eps where he took over and made Earth into a hedonistic paradise where he was banging chicks left and right making a gang of enforcers with guys like Murphy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grounders all look alike anyway. :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

Yeah but he keeps straight up saying poo poo that Kane is turning a blind eye to. Doesn't he literally say "the only good grounder is a dead grounder"? He leads his people in a chant of "grounder-killers, one and all!", and his people are on such a different page that they literally assault grounders who were invited into Arkadia by Kane/Abby. It's one thing if they don't believe he's really a bad person, but it's another to not reign in his behavior. If any of the main characters from the last season were being smart at all they would recognize how dangerous the situation is.

The thing is though, Kane and Abby were alpha'd by her teen daughter last season--at one point, Clarke was effectively their leader. I think they would have handed it back to Jaha if he'd been a little less Jaha. It doesn't shock me they'd roll over to Pike.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think Abby and Kane have the problem of being too theoretical. They may have a bit more rationality than others, but they get too hung up on overthinking things and what if scenarios, which makes sense if you lived in a world as static as the Ark. They are very hung up on the letter of the law, so having an election where Pike was allowed to stand from jail and then handing over the pin to him makes sense from a legal standpoint, and they can step back and watch the chaos and feel they did the right thing even if it's wrong. This is the same rationale behind why Abby was even still Chancellor in the first place: Jaha gave it up so Kane was legally Chancellor. Kane gave it up to Abby when he went out to negotiate with the Grounders and probably die. When Kane showed up alive he should have been Chancellor again. But they were more invested in the legalities than the practicalities.

They are not yet mentally at the part of the Battlestar Galactica post apocalypse where they realize that they are a "gang on a run" not a fully functioning civil government. In BSG before that point such things led to decisions like Admiral Kain being put in charge because of a meaningless rank, despite the disruption it caused to their already effective command structure. Or holding an election and putting GAIUS BALTAR?! in charge while they were still on the run for the survival of the species. By the end of the show they realized that was out the window, which is why once they landed on Earth 2 Adama was back in charge, instead of Lieutenant Hoshi, and Lee still had effective rank and authority in the last half season despite having resigned. When society is falling apart, the law is important but you can't be pedantic about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jaha rolls up to Camp Jaha and sees the "Arkadia" sign...

"Well, I didn't see THAT coming." :roflolmao:

I don't get why he has to be all mystical about the City of Light though. Why can't he just say "there's an AI computer that survived the war and there's a VR world we can go to and live there."? It's not like the Arkers would be unfamiliar with high tech.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

It's kind of hilarious how quickly Arkadia turned into a less rational, more aggressive form of Mount Weather but with none of the technology or the ability to manipulate outside factions to actually defend itself. Plus they're all going to be turned into pod people soon, thanks cult leader Jaha.

Some of this can be blamed on the Grounders. Had they allowed the Arkers to move back into Mt Wx and not destroyed it and killed a bunch of Arkers, then the Arkers wouldn't have reason to be dicks. The Grounders feared the Arkers would become just like the Mountain Men; they made it happen anyway. Not saying Pike is justified, but it's a spiraling tragedy that could have been stopped at a lot of points.

One thing I liked about this episode nobody has touched on was Bellamy calling Clarke out for being loving Clarke and all the Clarke poo poo she's done since they landed. It was nice to see somebody actually tell her "no, you're not always right, you're not always perfect, you're not the best leader ever" and have her kinda own up to it. She was shell shocked there, I think because even in her self recriminations over the past few months she still thought she was basically totes right about everything.

esperterra posted:

And was it my own :catdrugs: or is Jaha's cyber eucharist also nanomachines? Maybe Raven was just tripping.

At first I thought it was straight up plugging yourself into VR Matrix world, but I think there's also an element of a real world "overlay" to it after seeing Raven appear to lose the pain in her leg--ie Augmented Reality. Basically the AI has a form where it can "skin" the sensory input of the real world and make you think you're not in pain. A sufficient illusion would allow, say, a wheelchair bound person to imagine themselves standing up and walking around, while interacting with real people. The computer would control their body and make their arms push the chair, but they wouldn't feel it. Everyone not under AI control would see them in the chair of course. Similarly, a person with a scarred face might look in the mirror and see themselves perfect. This is basically how the Talosians were able to give Pike the illusion he was out of his chair and walking around and banging Vina in the coda of the Star Trek episode "The Menagerie." There's a lot more you can do with this obviously, such as having dead people interact with the living, creating the illusion of items and buildings that aren't there, all overlaid on the Real World. In theory, an AI can "autopilot" your body so you're walking and even talking and doing poo poo while your mind is dreaming away in the City of Light. This sort of thing has been touched on by a number of modern cyberpunk/singularity authors. A great example is The Atopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather or Vernor Vinge's stuff.

The biggest question the Jaha and ALIE are not answering is "so if everyone goes into the Matrix, what happens to Earth? LIke literally every human downloads and abandons the real world, we just hope ALIE doesn't break down in a hundred years? Once you take that pill, you never will know what is real again. She can give them all sorts of fantasies about them using avatars to explore and rebuild earth, or even launching spacecraft to explore over the next few centuries, but it might be all fake.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

I mean it's frustrating, but Pikes attitude is reflective of historical attitudes that technologically advanced societies have towards less advanced natives. George Washington, for example, gave orders to massacre Native American peoples who were on his side, because they were inconvenient to him. In retributions for IceIroquois Nation attacks, Washington sent General Sullivan to utterly destroy the Iroquois Nation with was reasonably successful, but in the course of doing so they also destroyed villages that supported the Patriots. Not only did this break the loyalty of Patriot supporting tribes such as the Mohawk, but the Iroquois retribution against colonial villages was extreme.

Yeah, I was reading some 1800s accounts of settlers vs Indians and the similarities between a lot of their attitudes towards Indians and Pike's towards Grounders are 1:1.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Why is the 13th Tribe Colony such a secret? I thought it was common knowledge among the Arkers? Or am I confusing off air exposition from the creators with stuff that actually happened on screen?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

They burnt some weird toxic sap dude... no one had any acid burns...

We all saw the same thing.

Yeah, the acid tree sap was shown earlier dropping onto Octavia. Then they were putting it on the sticks they were setting up for the fires. It was Chekov's Acid Tree Sap.

Kegslayer posted:

Were they actually intending to join up though?

I was kind of surprised that ALIE didn't know about the 13th Station given she was pre-war.

I think the implication about what's happened so far is:

Chris, Becca and whoever the guys were that moved Chris' body created an AI to help people/solve a problem.

ALIE determines that the best course of action is just to wipe out humanity. Becca locks her up and then fucks off to space station 13 to restart the project and find a way of stopping ALIE.

Chris gets tricked by ALIE's City of Light stuff, frees her and nukes fly everywhere. The other stations want to hook up but Becca isn't sure that they're under ALIE's influence so she convinces a bunch of astronauts to blow up the station and fly back to earth.

Their prolonged exposure to radiation allows them to survive the new Earth and with their gear, they build and establish the 12 clans making sure to keep their weapons and society low tech to ensure that ALIE will no longer be able to control them. Becca becomes the first Commander and starts a cult/society of advisors like Titus who will always know the full truth.

The initial astronauts that came down with Becca are all inoculated against ALIE and their descendants become the Nightbloods. I don't think they're plugged into the City of Light 2.0 but I think Titus is and we'll see an episode from his perspective (such as when he confronts Clarke) where he's holding two conversations at once.

An interesting theory. That would explain how the earth went from "totally nuked, everyone died" in the eyes of the Ark to "whelp, it's lousy with people, there's literally tribes of thousands around Washington and we never noticed."

This would mean that the Earth WAS as depopulated as they thought, except the people hiding in Mt Wx (and presumably in other bunkers in other countries) and the only Grounders are former spacers.

I'd also bet that when Becca tried to make ALIE 2.0, that program as well tried to take over, and it was the fear of it controlling the Ark's computers that caused either the 12 Colonies Stations to blow up the 13 (or Becca did it herself to destroy the program).

Depending on whether or not the original President of Mount Wx knew about ALIE and it's role in starting the war, if he knew that it's creator had hosed off to space and was trying to make a new AI, it would also explain why Mt Wx never tried to contact the Ark (at least in the beginning).

ALIE is doing far more than suppressing physical pain and giving them a cool Matrix world to jack into. The way she erased Jaha's memory of his son shows she's doing real mind control poo poo. People ought to be afraid of that because she's more dangerous than the Mountain Men and Clarke combined. It's also pretty dumb to numb all physical pain. They should show what happens when some idiot breaks his leg and ALIE shuts off his pain receptors and he's walking around on it all "I'M TOTALLY FINE THIS DOESN'T HURT AT ALL WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?!" Pain does serve a function of protecting the body from more damage...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

I think that's pretty accurate.

It's a common flaw in leadership to over-estimate the amount that your followers, especially young ones, actually understand your mindset and vision. Kane has ideas and a vision of the future, but he did not take steps to make sure that people like Bellamy were really on the same page as him. He and Abby were too accustomed to having a literally captive constituency on the Ark.

This might go the farthest towards explaining the dumb mistakes Abby and Kane made when they should have been nailing pretty easy decisions. They did want to do the right thing, but they always managed to gently caress it up. This is probably why.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha I can't believe all the shippers getting freaked out and wanting to quit the show after one of the best drat episodes.

Lexa's actress killed it. She's shown so much more range and personality than she did last season. The exposition was great, as was the NanoCommander explanation as to why they put very young people in charge. That always irked me, and it seemed to be a "CW Youth Thing" but it makes sense in universe.

My only complaint is that the people who Becka hooked up with on Earth were literally normal modern people like us a few months/years before (however long it was between the bombs dropping and her dropping) so the idea that they'd just call her Commander and name their city V'GER POL IS is kinda silly because they weren't dumb primitives.

Next week: Kane gets his groove back! :dance:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't even care that much about the POL IS thing, it's more that once again we see how the 97 year timeline is way too short for the level of cultural de-evolution we see on the part of The Grounders.

I think they should do more flashbacks though, maybe they can explain it better. Like do an episode once a season where we see the founding of Ark Society, Grounder Society, and whatever the gently caress was going on in Mt Wx. Take it forward a few decades each time, til we get to where we were in Episode 1.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

the fact that they were all aware of the trope and discussed it and still thought they could get away with it is what really gets me. I can forgive ignorance but thinking you're special and that you can get away with burning a huge part of your fanbase and being surprised when there's a backlash...I just don't know what they thought was going to happen. I just hope they learn from it.

Get away with it? So gay characters must have a character shield and never die?

THEY'D BETTER LEARN, IF THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM!

:rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

that would have been good, would have let them bring her back whenever alycia had time. they could have still done the whole cutting the chip out of her neck thing because they would need a commander that was conscious. would have also been interesting for her to wake up and not be the commander anymore and have conflict based around that.

True, then maybe she could just move in with Clarke, get a nice apartment in a developing neighborhood and open a sustainable artisan beet tea shop together. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

I think Pike is the Chancellor most true to Skykru values and beliefs though.

Skykru are a group of hardcore survivalists with all the focus, foresight, pragmatism and ingenuity of a colony of resource starved astronauts. It'd make sense that Pike and the others easily identify what some of Arkadia's long term problems are, such as the lack of food and defensible terrain, and be happy to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. Like others have pointed out, Arkadia's current safety and security depended on the word of a single girl. The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

The children might not have developed that mindset yet but the adults should definitely be willing Pike voters that just wanted to protect a future for their children and their children's children.

The problem is that none of it really comes across and they've been all like, lol grounders aren't even people, let's kill then all!

Yeah, after seeing how the Ark got started and what they did to Polaris right out of the gate, Pike is pretty much being true to his heritage and upbringing. Arkers were also the people who forced Octavia's parents to make her live in the floorboards, floated people for whatevs, sent their own children to Earth to probably die, and did wacky poo poo like asphyxiate a huge percentage of their population. Sounds like Pike is on the Ark Program. Kane in particular seems to have evolved beyond that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You act like they did this stuff for fun. They legitimately thought they were the last people alive and had to do everything to conserve resources so they could survive another hundred? years so the radiation levels were low enough to have the planet be hospitable.

Oh no, I don't think all that stuff was great or justifies Pike now, I'm just saying that's where he's coming from.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

I just think it's basic tribalism. Every single authority figure in this show always goes on about "their people" and is willing to do horrible things to other people in order to keep them alive. Pike isn't really that much different then Mount Weather or really any grounder leader except Lexa. I mean the show is basically how the world was for most of human civilization (albeit with less people). :shrug:

Although ironically, while humans have devolved to tribalism (including the still "modern" societies of the Ark and Mt Wx), that is not what actually destroyed civilization--it was ALIE. While "tribalism" in the form of nationalism and countries was still clearly present in the near future of the show with it's armed space stations from various countries, for all we know humanity in that era was in the beginnings of a golden age of peace and erasing of borders. ALIE just hosed it all up because of something something overpopulation computer logic something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Oh, there's been 91 posts since I last checked in? Did I miss an episode?" :haw:

And the fact that they are having to promote a suicide hotline to stop the shippers from killing themselves...

:ughh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This show is great, and the last couple of episodes have been drat good. I have zero desire to see them replace the show runner to placate some fans upset because their fav character was killed.

poo poo, I love Kane, he's my favorite character, and it would really suck if he dies but if he does I'm not gonna quit watching the show or anything. Same if they killed off other characters I like such as Jaha or Murphy. I would accept that it's part of the story and done for a reason.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

it's not just that he killed lexa, it's that he's also a huge rear end in a top hat that the cast is turning on who has already bullied one person (Ricky whittle) off the show

As somebody who has been on the bad side of the Dan Harmon Love Fest, even I can appreciate that you can separate the showrunner and behind the scenes drama from the end product, as long as said product is something you enjoy...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

"As long as I personally enjoy a product, I don't care about the price in human misery it took to make it."

People who behave like Jason Rothenberg should not be rewarded for being ridiculous hateful loving bullies. Not ever, but especially not when that behavior actually affects the show's bottom line in terms of viewership and reputation.

Human misery? I guarantee you Ricky Whittle made more than me in the last year, and probably more than anyone posting here. These are highly paid actors who make thousands or tens of thousands per episode. They also don't work half the time. An actor might have to go in 7 days a week for grueling shoots, but other times they wake up on a Wednesday and do nothing and do the same for weeks on end. Or the "work" of going to parties and premieres. I'm not saying entertainers don't work hard, but they aren't mining coal or stocking poo poo in an Amazon warehouse in 90 degree heat.

VagueRant posted:

Troposphere isn't the worst kind of shitposter, but the endless stream of them is tiresome. Especially if you "only watched the show for Lexa" and Lexa is gone now...?

This is what annoys me, because sure I guess if you just tuned in when you heard about this awesome character Lexa who represented something to you personally and was a nice role model/personal audience insert and shedied you'd want to give up. But a lot of us here have been watching since Day One, and one character death (a character who wasn't even in the show in the beginning) isn't enough for us to agree that the show should tank in the ratings or get cancelled or the showrunner should be fired.

VagueRant posted:

Oh, and points about the actual episode:
  • Kane is still the best character, I loved how peaceable his plan was. And I'm furious he didn't have it in him to see it through and plow that truck straight through Bellamy's genocidal face.
  • Raven. :smith:
  • Sinclair gets more screentime! He is sensible! Yay!
  • Monty sucks now.
  • I kind of wish Pike had been taken out and then Monty's evil mum took over as the new tyrant.
  • literally had to stick Maya's name on the ipod so we knew.
  • Is this the first Clarke-less episode? That's super weird!
  • EDIT: and where the hell was Abby?!

Abby and Clarke were Fridged! They may never come back! :tinfoil:

I think Monty and Bellamy have finally come around to the Right Way of Thinking, though it may be too late to fix poo poo without further consequences and death. It also seems like Raven might be breaking her programming but it's going to take a lot to stop ALIE, and right now nobody is trying to stop it. While all the drama is going on with the Grounder War they are ignorant to a larger threat under their noses...

Kane really impressed me with his speech about the Old Rules vs New World We Live In. It shows that finally Kane actually gets it, and if he can come out alive he'll make an excellent Chancellor for the new Arkers On Earth civilization in a way that Old Kane, Abby, and Jaha would not. He was pretty good when he was in charge/quasi in charge last season, but he always got hung up on the Old Rules. Laws and rules are important, and they don't need to throw them out, but they do need to modify them to make sense. I only hope it's not too late for him. :ohdear:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Ah, so you don't actually need to treat actors like human beings when they're on set as long as you pay them enough and give them ample time off? Good to know.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but a toxic, miserable work environment is not something that should be happening to anyone. Period. There is no excuse. The privilege of being a raging rear end in a top hat is not something you should be able to buy by being good at your job, let alone bad at it. Again, from a business standpoint, the most important part of this is that Rothenberg's antics are biting the show in the rear end. His decision and handling of the Lexa situation tanked the ratings and actors are now publicly coming out against him, causing even more fan uproar. Notice how loving nobody is coming to his defense. The other actors might not be saying anything against him (out of self-preservation) but they sure as hell aren't doing anything to refute Ricky Whittle's statements.

And no one has outright said this, but everything I've seen seems to indicate that Ricky basically asked to be killed off. His mother said that he had to walk away from the show. Whatever was happening there, it was bad enough to make him walk away from that allegedly huge salary before he had another job lined up. That's got to be pretty loving wretched.

Of course not, actors aren't people! :downs:

I can also tell you that there are people who are lovely employees in all walks of life who bring their bosses wrath upon themselves, and they will tell everyone who will listen about THAT rear end in a top hat MANAGER WHO TREATS ME UNFAIRLY AND ALWAYS GIVES THE EASY TO WORK TO SHEILA AND MAKES ME STAY LATE AND LETS MIKE GO HOME EARLY AND ALSO I DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH AND CLEANING ISN'T IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION BUT THEY MAKE ME DO IT ANYWAY etc etc ad nauseum. It doesn't mean they're correct, especially if you know the whole story, which we don't here. The ratings aren't exactly "tanking" either and if they do drop that doesn't mean that killing off a recurring character caused that. Same as it is when Bad Employee gets fired and tells everyone how "NOW THAT I LEFT THAT PLACE WENT TO HELL" :rolleyes:

Ancecdotal example: my mom watches The 100 too, and I talk to her about it and Lexa's death wasn't even a blip. Now I know she'd be loving pissed if Daryl on Walking Dead died, but I can guarantee you she wouldn't stop watching. Lexa's death may not be as huge a deal in the viewers eyes as it is in the hardcore fan community.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

The ratings went to a series low the episode after Lexa died. And not even barely; Thursday's ratings were a 1.20. The next three lowest-rated episodes were 1.32, 1.34, and 1.36-- all within .02 points of each other, and then followed by a gulf that is six times that. By Nielsen standards, that is huge, especially considering the series's ratings aren't that great to begin with. "WELL THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN--" No, it doesn't, but given the massive uproar and air of fan discontent surrounding the show that is still continuing well over a week after the incident in question, the evidence strongly loving implies it. I mean, you are going out of your way to postulate different possibilities as to why the building is on fire when there is a dude standing at the end of a trail of gas with an empty gas can and a burned out match right loving there. It's entirely possible that he didn't start the fire, but given the circumstances, I feel like he at least needs to be hauled in for questioning, don't you?

At the end of the day Lexa was a guest actress playing a recurring character. No matter how much you might think she was awesome or important to Diversity in TV or whatever. There is a zero percent chance killing her off kills the show. No matter how much you may want that to be to prove whatever point you're trying to make.

A few weeks ago before LESBIAN BED DEATH everyone was lauding this show for being the most progressive on tv, with tons of black, Asian, gay, and female characters in lead and important roles. They played leaders, scientists, engineers, warriors, and nobody made a big deal out of it so it wasn't a gimmick. One character dies and now we need to fire the creator, hope the show is cancelled, crow because ratings are down, etc.

No matter what rumors are out there about the showrunner he was the one who created that environment. He was the one who led the diverse casting of the show, supervised writing women in leadership positions (2 out of the last 5 Chancellors were women, the two Commanders were women, Ice Nation's leader was a woman, etc). He cast a number of gay characters who gayness was a non-issue more than I've seen on any show, same with black and asian characters. But yeah, he's probably racist and a bully. :rolleyes:

It reminds me a lot of the OTT criticisms of Steven Moffat, the guy who made it canon and showed ON SCREEN that Time Lords can regenerate into different sexes but he's a horrible misogynist amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Monicro posted:

I have no idea what this is about or who steven moffat is but ngl this sounds like some "no she's actually a 10000-year-old demon she just LOOKS like a sexy 12-year-old" level reasoning

Not really. People have been clamoring for the Doctor to regenerate into a woman since the 80s, and it was always shut down. Moffat was criticized for years as being a closet misogynist (though I feel he is closer to just tone deaf but well meaning). Moffat also is a superfan who uses his status as showrunner to canonize a lot of his personal theories and has wanted to be The One to do the big moments (50th, Final Regeneration, Multi-Doctor episodes). He ended up using this power to open the door fully to the possibility of the Doctor regenerating into a woman. First with an offhand comment about an offscreen Time Lord/Lady. Then regenerating the second biggest Time Lord character (the Master) into a woman. Then doing it again with another named Time Lord onscreen. Now it would be No Big Deal in universe to have a female Doctor.

Point being it's often simplistic to criticize a showrunner for surface stuff but you don't know what's really in their heart.

• Locked thread