Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MurderBot posted:

The masters is slowly becoming the bachelors of the 70's and 80's, might as well capitalize on it early.

I'd wait a few years until you have enough work experience to make sure it's in a field you want and that you know how you're going to use it. And you can probably get your employer to pay for it if you don't have any GI bill money left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you want to do STEM or work in a STEM field? Canada may be different, but with the exception of certain occupations, nobody gives a poo poo what your degree is in (especially if it's only a bachelor's). They only care that you have one and that you have work experience. So any internships you pick up along the way will be a bigger player.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 15, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought I had to in this economy. It was hard enough adjusting to an arts program, I was not looking forward to a meatgrinder of a program in STEM.

What kind of internships should I look out for?

Internships related to whatever field you're trying to work in. Paid look better than unpaid.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ugh, classes start next week and I'm still working through my backlog of games from the steam winter sale.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kind of a long shot, but has anybody in the guard/reserve gone through the process to convert REAP to post-9/11 GI bill?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's a few reference threads in SH/SC that may be of use:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I do enjoy that you don't have to take non-program electives with a master's.

-Foundations of Systems Engineering
-Critical Infrastructure Systems Security

First class seems pretty easy so far. Second one is really interesting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is that last one for real? I mean do you really have to educate engineers in basic social interaction?

Dear god yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

american college sounds like a pain in the rear end with all its bullshit electives and clubs/societes. though, that 'social skills for engineers' could certainly be applied worldwide.

"milvets"? lmao. Why don't you join a cool club like surfing or snowboarding or SCUBA or beer club?

I don't think it's a bad idea to force people to take courses in writing, math, history, and science regardless of their area of concentration, but after that it just becomes kind of dumb.

Grad school is great, though, because you're only taking poo poo related to what you're actually doing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Most helpful classes I took were the following:

research writing
writing for PR & advertising
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Go figure that being able to manipulate data, solve simple problems, and clearly write would be the most useful poo poo.

Anthropological Research Methods helped me understand why so many of the customers I work with are loving assholes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

LockMart called me 3 times asking if I had reconsidered going back and finishing my AeroE degree because as a white American studying engineering and with family members who already had clearance I was The Unicorn.

You probably make more as an IT guy than they would ever pay you, which I'm guessing is exactly what you told them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're looking at Cornell for engineering, you might as well look at RIT, Hopkins, or MIT. They're about as good as you're going to get on the east coast when it comes to engineering.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

I've been less and less enamoured with anything to do with computers because of how many grognards are in the field, and all the stories of dealing with retard customers in one way or another. Or as yospos calls it "computer janitor". Yeah gently caress it need to start doing some job field research. Remote sensing sounds cool.

You're going to run into retarded customers in every field. IT isn't very computer janitory once you get out of the entry levels; no idea about software engineering. With that being said, if you don't like computers from the get-go and only get into it for the money you'll probably hate it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Idk, only 25% of my team has a college degree and we all make well over $100,000 a year with CCNPs. Our principle architects with multiple CCIEs pull in north of 200k/yr with profit sharing. You may have to move away from St. Louis, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Where do you have these jobs? I'm about to get my CCNA but might go somewhere else from there.

I work for a consulting firm in the DC area, although we do projects worldwide. I definitely recommend going for your CCNP after you finish the NA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

So I'm guessing no one ever told you that transfer credit doesn't bring the grade in or count toward your GPA? Only classes you take at that institution count toward your GPA.

I think that's his point: he wanted to take the easy freshman level courses for the GPA bump.

In other news, the VA sent me a letter saying that they're doing away with REAP and that basically anyone eligible for REAP is also eligible for post 9/11.

Does the VA consider 3 graduate courses as full time?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wanna know what a CIA intern does.

They have (or at least used to have) an ROTC-ish program where you were given a scholarship for school and then did internships/training with them over the summer, culminating in a full-time position with them after graduation. Wish I'd known about that when I was 17.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Yeah they were due Feb 9th. It says you have to commit to a year of fed work after graduating. Also I can't stop seeing "boner awards" in that url.

Yeah but a year of work in the non-military world is like a half second, so that's not too bad at all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SnarkyHipster posted:

I know MBA programs look for diversity and tend to (deliberately or not) break applicants into categories. All the people with banking backgrounds compete against each other, those with non-profit experience compete against each other etc. I'm sure veterans are considered in such a manner as well. It's not so much the education level as our military experience. My military experience occured between age 18 and 22 where as a grunt I was responsible mostly for myself or a small team of Marines. This might be compared to a 28 year Captain applying for an MBA who just finished a tour as a company commander with significantly more responsibility. On the flip side, I have more civilain work experience. Admissions committees (to my knowledge) really look at an applicants entire background and "story" as well as their raw numbers. I'm just looking at how to frame mine, as it's quite different from most veterans applying to these tob MBA programs.

I'm not in any kind of panic about this, just looking for any advice. There seem to be a lot of intelligent vets in this thread at some top schools giving out good advice.

It sounds like you've found your angle: you've taken what you learned during your time in the military and used that to assist you in your civilian career. You're now looking to take that further and move into leadership roles in the private sector.

Frame it as a part of your overall work experience, not the only thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

MLA rules. gently caress your touchy-feely APA.

Chicago for lyfe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

not you. the guy who pasted some whacky sjw story.

every school?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

App13 posted:

What's the pay look like for gov jobs? I'm of the strong mind that after a certain point, more money won't make me any happier. If I can make $70k/year working for the government, I won't care about making $100k in the private sector.

Terrible, compared to the private sector. It's also absolutely soul crushingly tedious and full of red tape, which eventually will turn your personality into a bright shade of gray.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

She gets the 80s ones just fine, which is odd, and I make way more of those

Probably because television and film writers and producers from the 2000s grew up in the 80s, and incorporated a large number of 80s references into their works.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

App13 posted:

22-23 is when females turn from girls to women and lose a bit of hope about life, imo. Aka its prime relationship time.

Though it seems that I only ever meet girls that are 18-21, or 26-32. Never in between. Not complaining, though. I'm in my mid twenties so I don't mind the 18-21 crowd, and I have some mom issues so I don't mind loving the 26-32 crowd.

That's because many men and women between the ages of 22-23 are entering the workforce for the first time after college. Dating anyone with no real life experience isn't probably going to work out in the long term, which is why the 18-21 year old demographic (for men and women) isn't great for any sort of relationship, especially if you're coming at it as someone who's been jaded by years of dumbness in the military.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

And even then those certs are cheaper at a community college with better instructors/facilities.

In IT this isn't always the case. There's for profit companies that partner with hardware and software vendors to conduct certification courses spanning a couple of days to a couple of weeks. It's a much more compressed timeline because they teach 8 hours a day, so it's typically targeted toward businesses that need to train their employees.

As far as degrees are concerned, though, community colleges are always better than for profit schools.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Private and for profit are different things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

to be fair to anyone thats been in the military, for profits are pushed and advertised constantly as something soldiers should do because if you don't take courses at some poo poo school then you're a bad nco or something.

I'm really surprised the DoD hasn't banned for-profit universities from operating on military bases.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I forgot that spring break was a thing, as if the real world takes a one week break in the middle of loving March. Just keep that poo poo rolling and give me an extra week between finals and the summer term, JFC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RichieHimself posted:

You're a dingus if you qualify for vet plates and don't get them. I understand if you're ashamed of being associated with the military, but it makes dealing with cops way easy and you're probably still wearing M frames anyways so it's not like you're on the DL.

It's just kind of disingenuous for me to roll around with a BSM plate when I got it purely by virtue of my rank and nothing else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gently caress I'm still waiting to hear back about my post-9/11. I'm taking this summer off anyway, but god drat it's been over 2 months.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

do more internships

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grem posted:

Right? Safeway cashiers make more than that, STEM is for suckers unless it's the E.

Good luck getting a decent-paying engineering job after college without a co-op or internship.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

A decent-paying summer internship at a startup wants a yes/no from me but I'm still interviewing at several other places and expecting a few offers. I wouldn't start at that internship until mid-May, so over a month out. Should I be selfish and just accept the offer now, and back out later if I get a better one? I already told the startup offer that I had some other stuff going on, but they still want a decision from me before I know all of my options.

So I can ask for more time to decide, and risk the offer being withdrawn. Or I can accept, and feel slightly bad about backing out if/when I get a better offer elsewhere; >2 weeks before my start date would be "fair" right?

There's nothing wrong with this particular offer or company, but I am more interested in some other places I have interviews with. I'm not sure what the appropriate level of honesty is here.

I have no idea how to civilian

Don't reneg on an offer after you've accepted it. It's a small world and things like that tend to leave a bad taste in people's mouthes. If it's just an internship, you should probably accept it because there's no guarantee that the other places will hire you. And any experience at this point is more important than "I like this company super best."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

What do ya'll use for dental insurance

My employer's dental insurance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Are you a student

Yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Real talk, dental insurance as an unemployed full-time student over 26 is rough. Have you tried a bunch of whiskey and a rock?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Looks like I'm going to be starting a Master's in Computer Science in September or so.

I'm terrified. I was a terrible student in high school and college.

Aren't you an AGR EN O4? Why are you getting a MS in CS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I haven't actually updated my command and staff slides in 3 months (aside from exactly one minor change) and nobody has said anything.

• Locked thread