Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn this thread loving rules. Can't believe it took me this long to subscribe!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Hob and Gone Home are free on EGS next week.

Pretty much everyone owns Gone Home at this point, but Hob is a well-reviewed Zelda-esque action/adventure that has never gotten cheap enough or bundled for me to buy, so that's cool

People have given me poo poo for liking the EGS and I just don't understand the hate.

Nerds: The interface is so janky, who needs another games downloader, etc etc

Me: Yeah but they keep giving me really good games for free, so I like it!

Nerds: They're literally bribing you to like their platform!

Me: .......and??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

I'm sure this EGS derail will be different from every single one that has happened in the last year

idk, sounds like everyone so far here in the Free Games thread agrees that free games are good :v:

Also I'm relatively new to the thread so I haven't experienced that yet, sorry if it's a sensitive subject

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

The new set of Twitch Prime games are up for those who have an Amazon Prime sub rolling.

Urban Trial Playground
The Little Acre
Avicii Invector
Pankapu
Fractured Minds
Snake Pass

Never heard of any of these, anyone have any recommendations?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I recently picked it up on sale and replayed it; can confirm single player is good and very fun. The story is juvenile and cynical as hell, but driving around and shooting are both super fun and fortunately that's like 90% of the game. the other 10% is dress up and the occasional jetski race.

In somewhat more on-topic content for the thread, I see that GTA1 and GTA2 are free online: https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classics-free-download.phtml But it looks like they belong in the "games that have always been free" thread. I have good memories of GTA2 from when I was a kid and I'd love to check it out again, but I just can't get that download to work. I'm afraid the game won't run on modern machines. Sucks!

EDIT: Well poo poo! I tried it again right after posting this and, after installing something called "Directplay" that was part of the installer, it now works. gently caress yeah I'm playing the poo poo out of this now

timp fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 14, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure there's a moratorium on debating the finer points of the EGS in this thread

(I only know this because I wandered in here and accidentally started it up one day and a shitstorm of bad posts ensued)

I wish I had a free game to post about to be on topic but I don't. But I will at least say that I've been enjoying that Sherlock Holmes game Crimes & Punishments from a while ago! It's like all the fun parts of LA Noire without the ridiculous uncanny valley face inspection element.

Also I did NOT enjoy The Stanley Parable. I thought for sure I would based on all the positive goon feedback but eh.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

civ shows up in EGS under S, for Sid lol

His arrogance has inconvenienced me for the last time!! :argh:

Definitely excited to play this one though; I recently got Civ III for free and, while it seems like there's a fun game in there somewhere, it's far too dated to be any fun in 2020 imo. I assume Civ VI will be a lot more friendly to newer players like me (whose only real experience is the loving SNES version of the original Civilization)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Society posted:

this is worth it just to scroll through the list

Agree 100%. I'm very much looking forward to playing the games being recommended here eventually (Had my eye on Quadrilateral Cowboy since it came out) but the chuckles I'm getting just scrolling through is worth $5 alone, especially given that it's going to such a good cause.

But seriously, where does this all come from?!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What game is that?

I think they’re talking about F1 2018. That’s a free game that’s been posted a few times in this thread now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

I do hope Hitman 2 goes up free on there before 3 comes out.

Right?! I got low key obsessed with the 2016 Hitman after we got that one for free; so much so that I've been considering buying Hitman 2. Even though that list is almost definitely fake I still feel like I should wait until January to make any moves

OTOH Hitman 3's right around the corner...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Galactic Civilizations III is now free on EGS.

Am I correct in assuming this is like a low budget Stellaris? I’m definitely down to give it a play for the price of zero dollars but how much of a chance I give it will probably depend on its reputation

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Halcyon 6 is free on EGS this week

I will NEVER stop getting excited about downloading free space games and then never playing them. NEVER.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that Surviving Mars is this week's free Epic Game Store game. It is a repeat so if you've been downloading these weekly games on a regular basis you probably already have it. I assume it's popping back up so they can promote their next Surviving game, Surviving the Aftermath.

Surviving Mars is a fun, chill sim game, probably worth at least checking out for a bit imo. But really, I just have to give a quick shout-out to the soundtrack by George Strezov. https://open.spotify.com/album/1nbjCCws7cO9kovVBn7Wo8?si=4WL_dQ5gTRWlgnQmMjKybw

I'm a trained musician and my five most played songs on my Spotify Wrapped for 2020 were just five songs from this soundtrack. I realize it's not for everyone, but if you like chill synth music that's both rhythmic and lowkey, definitely check it out.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

The least free game I got was Watch Dogs 2 with my 1070 years ago. I claimed it and have yet to actually install or play it.

FWIW that was one of the rare free games posted in this thread that I actually fully beat. It's pretty fun! I also beat Control, really enjoyed that one too.

And now I'm actually having a pretty tough time recalling any other free games from this thread that I beat. Hell, even installing and playing them is unusual, so seeing one through to the end is really something special

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

I got Hitman 3 somehow, I think it was this thread, and it's a great (if short) playthrough. Control was great too, especially if you like SCP articles.

Oh yeah, I did beat Hitman as well. I even bought the DLC for Control and Hitman because I enjoyed them both so much. But you must be talking about the first Hitman (2016), which was definitely free on the EGS at one point. I'd be really surprised if you got Hitman 3 free because it just came out this year and AFAIK it's still like 50-60 bucks.

Also I did beat GTAV but I don't really count that cause I'd already beaten it once back in 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

When does it pick up? I tried Control but was bored with trudging around a big office for a couple of hours. Oooh and office, but with floating dead people? Meh. Though I will try it again if it gets awesome close to that.

You should definitely keep playing until you at least have the ability to rip chunks of stone of the wall out and catapult them at jabronis with your mind. If you don't like the game after that then it's just not for you.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

Thanks for the daily Epic reminders.

F'real, they're much appreciated. I would have been salty as gently caress if I'd have missed out on Loop Hero; I've heard a lot of people heap praise onto it this year!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

Call your mother.

Thanks for the reminder! I did this and she said she's going to give me some free games on Dec. 25 ;)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Donkringel posted:

I want them to repeat Star Wars Battlefront 2. Last time it came out I had just moved so no internet and I just contracted Covid, so ethically I couldn't go out somewhere with internet. Wish I had known about claiming games from my phone.

Funny you should mention this one specifically; I broke the thread’s cardinal rule and randomly fired this one up on a whim just last week, knowing virtually nothing about it going in. I’m having a lot of fun with it so far! I too hope you get another opportunity to snag it again soon.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It’s times like these ya gotta ask yourself: Are the free games worth all this?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Mini free game review

Thanks for sharing! Imo this thread needs more free game trip reports to help us wade through our giant catalogs.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the spirit of the thread title just as much as the next goon, but I’ll fully admit to dipping into the library for a new game to play every now and then and it’s nice to have recommendations.

If I had more time for projects I’d love to start an EGS freebie book of the month club thread or something

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Schiffbruch was a fun survive on an island game. The rescue was randomly decided and the first time I played my dude got saved like 2 days in so I barely interacted with most of the mechanics. It was great

Nice work. If you absolutely must play a game, best that it be as short as possible.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fit em all up in there posted:

Kerbal Space Program

I’ve always wanted to play this game, I’ll take the code if it’s still available. Thank you goon!

Edit: drats, too late by a minute!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gun Jam posted:

*Kerbal Space Program (timp has dibs)

Oh nice :unsmith: thank you! My PMs should be open or you can email face of the earth media at gmail dot com

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My proudest achievement in gaming to date was receiving my Peggle doctorate (100% clear every level)

As such, I couldn’t help but notice that nobody in this thread has been addressing me as Dr. timp. Which is fine! I mean I worked really hard to get that doctorate but it’s cool, I’m not weird about it or whatever

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

and Switch.

Now you have my attention

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Buy horizon zero dawn instead

I believe that was offered up free not too long ago

so unfortunately that's out

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god you've made me realize that there was almost certainly a theater kid gamer nerd in the 90's who wrote GameFAQs guides and used that conveyance in their walkthroughs. There's just no way this didn't happen at least once; it's the perfect intersection of smarminess and cringe that those guides were rife with

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tweet's deleted, do you have another source on this?

I know I shouldn't be as surprised as I am but I can't recall a game with a 64 in the title ever being available on a non-Nintendo platform :psyduck:

e: found something on Twitter, dunno this person but

https://twitter.com/yeetusgafetus/status/1560245648758284288

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This Spirit of the North game seems cool; anybody played it? Worth checking out or shall I put it on the shelf with the others?*

*please excuse the implication of playing a free game. I like keeping the joke going as much as the next rear end in a top hat in this thread but we can't live our entire posting lives under the pretense of a thread-joke

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

lazy option: set up a

friend, I don't think you understand how lazy works

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm a GPD toucher and like my clamshells.

what the gently caress…??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Clue for tomorrow is a letter M that looks like the one in the Metro series logo; probably the Reduxes but maybe Exodus

What we need to figure out is, is this the main M? Or is it perhaps…The Other M?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have a feeling I’m going to play a poo poo-ton of that Poker Club game. Haven’t even downloaded it yet but Poker Night 2 has been my go-to drunk game for over a year and I’ve heard every dialogue snippet in that game about a hundred times each by now. Looking forward to a new pretend poker experience and I hope there’s lots of achievements

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

I have a feeling I’m going to play a poo poo-ton of that Poker Club game. Haven’t even downloaded it yet but Poker Night 2 has been my go-to drunk game for over a year and I’ve heard every dialogue snippet in that game about a hundred times each by now. Looking forward to a new pretend poker experience and I hope there’s lots of achievements

Trip report, unfortunately I will not be playing a poo poo-ton of this game. I spent about 20-30 minutes last night trying to get into a game and wasn't able to play even a single hand. I couldn't tell if it was trying to matchmake me online or if it was stuck loading or what, but several times it had me just staring at a birds-eye view of a poker table frozen for minutes. After making a character (the lack of customizations there was laughable) and trying nearly every menu option with no success, I gave up. Too bad.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rapner posted:

Loving this, thank you

Same, stayed up way too late playing this last night and I’m looking forward to diving back in tonight. It’s like Obra Dinn meets Hypnospace Outlaw meets Succession and it owns so far. Especially for the low low price of zero dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JazzFlight posted:

For anyone that cares, this game uses AI art. Not really a fan.

Yeah, and it also uses royalty-free Kevin MacLeod music. It was made by one guy and he’s letting you play it for free.

Don’t get me wrong, I also recoil at AI art when I see it on, for instance, social media. But personally I feel like its use in this game is probably a best-case scenario application. The game is improved by the characters looking like real people but it would have been expensive and maybe kinda weird if they were real pictures of real people.