Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone else find it strange that you can take a Seamoth down to its crush depth, but then get out and swim yourself deeper? I tried taking it in the jellyshroom caves for one of the Degasi bases, hit its crush depth and went "Welp, time to get out and swim deeper."

It feels like this has been the main way I explore new areas so far. I don't know if it's an intentional design feature, but I keep getting pointed towards areas that I don't have the depth to reach. It definitely adds some tension and urgency to your exploration. It also makes it feel like you're always exploring right out to the very limit of what's possible, even if later on it just becomes an intermediate waypoint en route to even deeper areas.

Like my Seamoth only goes to 300m right now, so last night I parked it at 299 and hoovered my way down to a 500m base to scan some stuff (though sadly no Mk II depth module).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TK-42-1 posted:

You have to mod the mk1. there’s no standalone mk2.

Da gently caress... I could have sworn I didn't have any upgrade blueprints, but then I checked my PDA and there's a poo poo ton of upgrades available, including stuff like the cargo compartment and both depth mod upgrades. Does that only appear when you get the vehicle modification station? That's the only significant thing I can recall finding in between posting that and noticing the upgrades.

Anyway, down to 900m I go in a fully blinged out Seamoth.

Section Z posted:

Don't play hardcore Subnautica, learn the painful lesson of resident posters

Don't play any hardcore mode IMO, no game is bug free enough to make it not frustrating.

Freedom is where it's at. As much as my brainstem enjoys the pavlovian thrill of having more meters to refill, Survival very quickly got tedious and didn't really add any feeling of challenge, it just takes time away from exploring and building cool new poo poo.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Where are people getting names for the biomes? I keep seeing people reference things like "Grand Reef" and "Lost River" like it's official terminology, but all of my beacons are labeled things like "Deep Cave" and "Lava Vents" and "Weird Alien Thing".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Getting down underground is one thing, but am I expected to get a Cyclops down there? I'm tempted to build a second Cyclops to take underground without having to navigate caves to get in and out.

Now that I've found and marked a few different entrances to the underground caves, I've started experimenting with just parking the Cyclops over top of one and dropping in with the Prawn. It's quicker to chain-grapple your way back up than to try and maneuver the sub around down there while dodging leviathans. Plus it feels pretty badass to deploy from the Cyclops and drop 500m straight down into the abyss in your armored mech suit like a space marine. But like a space marine that works on planets, from ships. Some kind of maritime space marine.

My question: do fuel rods ever get consumed in a reactor? I'll be pretty annoyed if uranium rods last shorter than the freaking eternal flare that's been burning next to my base for like two solid months.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Section Z posted:

The only thing that should put a proper dent into nuclear reactors now is long term use of scan rooms, water purification, and recharging ion cells.... Or install lamps in your base :v: because permanent always on drain is a bastard to finite fuel sources no matter how low the drain is.

Oh, well, I was planning on using that base to recharge the ion cells I've now got installed on everything. :v: At least fuel rods are pretty cheap to make.

It does also have some solar panels, I mainly installed the reactor to keep things running and charging through the night (yeah, that was overkill). Will it drain the solar portion first and only dip into nukes if needed?

e: for scan rooms, it seems like they don't actually need power to highlight materials on your hud, just to change whatever you're scanning for. I built a little scanning outpost with a bioreactor that will happily keep scanning forever, and if I want to scan for something else I just throw a few garbage weeds in to turn the lights back on for a few minutes. Granted, not really a solution for a main base, but it seems to work fine if you just built it to scan.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, went ahead and "beat" the game; I had enough mats stockpiled in the Cyclops that building the entire Neptune was about a five minute process of running back and forth to grab stuff for each next stage. I guess now I go back to my last save and work on building the most opulent, luxurious sea fortress ever imagined. Or see if I have the patience to try Survival mode for the long haul.

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh right I do have the drill arm. Hard decisions for me I guess!

What I really need is to find nickel within the first ~900m or so. I've found one nickel all game but there's a ton of places I haven't been so.

Building a scanner room near one of the deep cave entrances and setting it to nickel was pretty helpful. Once you get the first depth module for the Prawn you can run around to find nickel deposits and fill up on all the nickel you can ever want.

I do kind of wish the Seamoth could be upgraded to do everything you need. That little thing is awesome.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, uh, I took my Prawn into the sea emperor tank and when I got out I found that water no longer exists when I'm outside a vehicle. I just fall to the ground and run around and breathe like I'm on land. This persists even after reloading. Any ways to fix this?

Verviticus posted:

god the prawn suit feels like poo poo

Agreed. With a grapple and upgraded jets it becomes decently tolerable to spider-man your way around caves, but the stutter stepping and the fact that the smallest little mushroom will bring it to a dead stop gets old fast. Especially after the glorious speed and freedom of the Seamoth.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Drake_263 posted:

Entering and exiting a habitat is the traditional fix for that. Just plonk down a hobo tube and a hatch.

I was just able to fix it by going back to the tank and hopping out while still in the suit, which seems to reset the logic. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again, but that tank definitely does some weird stuff. Like, you can go through the warp gate in the Seamoth and drive around fine despite being nominally below the max depth... until you get near the surface of the tank, and then the game seems to go "oh poo poo, you're way too deep *crunch*."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sunbeam: I deactivated the tower well before ever getting to the point where the timer appears, though probably not before the very first radio message you get from them. They still got blown up. The irony is that I had already built the Neptune and could have left before they even arrived.

Prawn: would be way better if it didn't get stopped dead by every three inch high fungus or small pebble in your path. I know that proper Prawn piloting involves staying on the ground as little as possible, but sometimes you do end up walking around and it's awful.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Invictus posted:

My biggest complaint about the story is that it kills off the rest of the crew for the sole purpose of not having to render character models or have them have to interact with custom made bases and stuff. Least it feels that way, that they wrote the story around the limitations of a small indie game, even if the story and writing itself is good.

I dunno, that's a pretty common plot device in survival type games, even big-budget ones like System Shock/Bioshock/Prey (okay, arguably the same game over and over, but whatever). I'm tempted to say the inverse is true: the fact that survival games usually don't feature many/any other human characters is one of the reasons why there are so many indie survival games.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For little annoyances, I wish you could dial down the brightness on all of the holographic displays in the Cyclops cockpit. They get really obnoxious when you're trolling around at night, but the external cameras don't provide all the useful information you get in the cockpit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is there a trick to grapple grinding reapers to death? I gave it a shot and it was flailing around so much, and swinging me so wide, that I wasn't able to make much contact with it, and then after a while it grabbed me and flung me super far away despite being grappled to it.

Grapple arm overall has a really anemic pull to it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Podima posted:

Wow I finished the game and had no clue the still suit existed. Go figure.

It's like the one thing I haven't found. I've been scouring every wreck I can find for the plans.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Leviathans are a lot scarier until you realize you can almost always just zip right past them with minimal impact. Unless you're specifically trying to get right in their face they don't patrol a big enough area to follow you.

For everything else, either stasis + knife to death, or just punt them into the next zip code with a repulsion cannon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Oasx posted:

I couldn't disagree more. The Seamoth is fast and nimble, and its small size means that I know exactly where the craft is when i am going into a cave, and with the solar upgrade you pretty much never run out of power.
The cyclops uses power like crazy, is big and unwieldy and attracts the attention of large creatures unless you pick the painfully slow travel method. I feel a lot more weak and vulnerable in the cyclops, if I could have taken my seamoth to the last area I would have felt a lot safer.

Yeah, Seamoth is the best. The game does a really good job of making it seem like you're vulnerable, but it's quick enough that you can almost always just blast straight past a leviathan without much trouble. Even more so if you can hug the terrain while you do it, they don't even seem to notice you half the time.

After several stock playthroughs I found some mods that add level 4 and 5 depth modules and a drill module for the Seamoth, so now it's the 99% solution vehicle rather than the 80% solution vehicle.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hey I'm just stating out and trying to keep things spoiler free and have a few questions,

- I'm wearing the radiation suit & gloves but still get radiation damage if I go to the red-grass area near the starter base. I guess I need to equip the giant helmet too? I really like my rebreather though...
Yep, you need all three pieces. It's tradeoff between the two, though there is a way to eventually remove the radiation zone completely.

quote:

- I have found like a half dozen extra copies of the seaglide, sea moth, and even laser cutter scannables each but am 1/3 on the mobile vehicle bay so I don't think I can actually make a seamoth. Is that expected and I should keep just poking around wrecks? I need a system to mark where I've fully scavenged I think since I don't really have my bearings on the different wrecks and neighbourhoods yet.
Keep poking around wrecks, and try different areas. Certain tech is tied to certain biomes. If you can remember where you found the first piece of the vehicle bay, try exploring further in that area. One of the somewhat frustrating aspects of the tech scanning process is that it can be very feast-or-famine depending on where you start exploring, but vehicle bay fragments are pretty common in some areas.

quote:

- I've found some lithium and a magnetite but have no idea where to go to look for diamonds. Is that something I'll come across on my own eventually?
They're fairly easy to find once you get to the right areas. They can be found on their own in some places, and they're a drop from one of the later types of smashable rocks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Unfortunately the stasis rifle also reveals the true bugfuck insanity of the hitboxes for most larger creatures. But yeah, it's key to scanning anything really big, or really small and zippy/explodey.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I do like that the encounter with the Sea Emperor is strangely adorable for meeting the biggest weirdest tentacle turtle sea monster, propping herself up on the hanging platform to look at you curiously, and she positively encourages you to complete the game and go home to get on with your life while she faces the end of hers with hope and serenity. For a game whose themes are so much about fear and tragedy, an upbeat ending is really cathartic.

Totally. For as little actual screen time that the game devotes to it, the amount of characterization that the Sea Emperor gets squeezed into a few lines and encounters is seriously impressive. Right from the beginning when she pops up I was like "holy poo poo, that's awesome, I don't even care if this thing eats me", and then it turns out she sends you on a quest to help her kids. It's doubly surprising in a genre that traditionally has zero real characters or depth in that regard. No pun intended.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, my first time through there was some component of the base building tool that I couldn't find and I figured that would just come much later in the game, so I put it off and made do with the stupid lockers for a while. Don't do that. Make it a priority to find the parts for the base tool.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GotLag posted:

I also recommend the mod that lets you build with anything that's in nearby lockers, not just your personal inventory.

This one plus the one that automatically crafts sub-components when making more advanced stuff. Removes 90% of the infuriating tedium of the very limited inventory and crafting system.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Haha, not gonna spoil it, but watching all the way to the end is worth it.

I did note that the Prawn run omitted the part where it bumps into a small pebble and comes to a complete halt. Doing the spiderman thing is awesome when it all goes smoothly, but the general jankiness and awkward close-in handling are the reasons why I normally run with the Seamoth. Well, that and getting a mod that adds drill and max depth modules for the Seamoth.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What can I do about these god damned independance day alien looking things that teleport me around? They are always right in the area I want to forage, and hound me like a loving dog.

1. Freeze them with the stasis rifle and stab them a few times with your knife. They'll teleport away and usually leave you alone after that.

2. Use a replusion cannon to punt them into the next zip code. This also works well for just about any other sub-leviathan critters that may annoy you.

3. Once you hit a certain plot point near the end of the game they'll stop attacking you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Where is a good spot for rubies? I found a few down in the blood kelp area, and I went to the sea treaders area and broke shale for 20 minutes but only got two. Rubies are straight up gating me out of progress.

The volcanic vents near the koosh zone north of the Aurora seem to have a good amount of rubies, and relatively easy to gather.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LeschNyhan posted:

I’ve heard that it gradually drifts until you repair it. Your first game likely had more fumbling around until you fixed it and therefore more time to drift.

I believe that was a feature in the beta but I don't think it does that any more. It definitely has a randomized starting location within the shallows area.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Once you have the compass HUD you can keep track of every location as a range and bearing from the lifepod. No other navigation aids needed. :colbert:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Slanderer posted:

Are there any must-use mods? Thinking of replaying this soon

QMod Manager to support all the other mods.
Auto Sort Lockers streamlines large base inventory management.
Easy Craft drastically streamlines crafting.

Those are the three (two really) that I absolutely wouldn't play without. I also like to run More Seamoth Upgrades because it makes the Seamoth the One Vehicle To Rule Them All, but that's more a matter of personal preference.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheParadigm posted:

ability to turn titanium to scrap and back gain

Wait, what's the point of that? The only thing scrap is for is to convert into usable titanium, which takes up the same amount of inventory space. I don't see any reason to change it back unless you really want to manufacture Stalker toys.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheParadigm posted:

inventory management.

Also i my have said 'scrap' and meant 'ingots'. You know, the ten-titanium 1 square bars.

Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I actually made a bunch of ingots my first playthrough because I assumed that was what they were for, only to find you couldn't turn them back into regular titanium.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vakal posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the majority of people complaining about it are the unlucky few that experienced major bugs.

I've played through the entire game and if it even crashed on me once I don't remember it.

Yeah, I got it about a year ago, after it was out of EA, and I've got a couple hundred hours into it with minimal bugs. I just don't feel the need to constantly post how fun it is. I've had a handful of times where the inside/outside logic wigs out and I'm stuck running around on the seafloor with no way to swim back to my vehicle or base, but that's about the worst of it. It runs decently for me; it chugs a little when things get busy or in the alien bases, but I've never had any issues with pop-in happening super close or getting stuck in terrain or anything.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Really Pants posted:

So how many places do you actually need the propulsion cannon for something? I've only ever found one single spot outside the Aurora. I love being able to just banish any cave fuckers that try to nibble on me but it's hard to justify bringing the thing along.

I think there are a few wrecks where you can shift some debris to get to an extra crate or two, but it's never anything critical. I'll pack a repulsion cannon if I'm getting annoyed with wildlife, but I never use the propulsion cannon outside of the initial trip to the Aurora.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Depends on where you are. If it's not near a kelp forest, it's really convenient to set up a dispenser and pop a new medkit out every time you visit. Especially down in the lost river area.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I usually put bases on the edge of a big cliff or peak for the coolness factor, regardless of how practical the location is.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

OgNar posted:

I did end up going up and building the grapple, luckily I had the materials.
Now I am in the process of making a river base which I will just leave a 2nd prawn suit for mining, just need to find some nickel.
Which I still haven't seen any of. I assume its all under that corrosive fog.
The main reason I am building a river base.

Nickel deposits look annoyingly similar to silver deposits, and individual nickel ore chunks look a lot like... shale, I think? One of the higher tier rock types. Scanner rooms help a ton.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Don't think of the Cyclops as a vehicle. Think of it more like a mobile base that you can station in an area while you conduct operations with your Prawn or Seamoth.

I totally agree that the end game really runs out of steam, although I do like the lore you get to uncover and the Sea Emperor interactions.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Invictus posted:

Thalassophobia is definitely not a unique phenomenon to people who haven't been in the ocean much. There is a base reaction to being in a body of water that you can't see the bottom of, not everyone has it, but it's by no mean an irrational fear. I loving love swimming in the ocean or otherwise, but there's still the stomach-dropping sensation of looking down and seeing the beams of light descending into nothingness.

Subnautica plays with this by making the especially scary baddies like reapers and ghosts have an audio cue when they're nearby but not aggro'd yet, so you can be in that situation and KNOW there's something there that wants to kill you.

Well that and your goddamn AI saying "oh hey it looks like something ate everything else that used to live in this area, you sure you want to keep going?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gothsheep posted:

Hey there! I'm sorry for not reading ten thousand pages of backlog before asking a question I'm sure has been asked many times before, but...ten thousand pages of backscroll.

I'm looking at Below Zero. I'm a huge Subnautica fan and I'm definitely 100% going to buy this expansion sooner or later, but I'm worried that if I get it too soon I'll only get half the content, then later the other half, but neither will feel really satisfying because of the small chunks i got it in. Also bugs. So, is the game in a state right now where it's worth buying, or should I wait until its more developed?

I think the best advice I've seen was if you know it's a guaranteed purchase for you eventually, you might as well buy it now to get the EA discount (such that it is) and support the developers, but wait to actually play it. I've got it sitting quietly in my Steam library, but I'm not planning on installing it until it hits full release.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Turns out the caldera is actually :derp: A BELLYBUTTON!!!!! :derp:
:aaaaa:

I've kind of wondered about that, like above a certain size monsters stop being scary and just become geography. Something reaper-sized can actually notice you, which makes them scary. Something six kilometers long might eat you but that's so impersonal that it's more like getting killed by a volcano, just a hazard of being near the county-sized mouth region.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I would really appreciate a mod that lets you supercharge the repulsion cannon (like by shoving an ion power cell into it) to make it capable of punting reapers into orbit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Frog Act posted:

at the same time it can be a good way to really learn the mechanics and stuff for a proper playthrough

I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. Presumably you can learn the mechanics just as well, if not better, if you start playing at the full release. Plus then you don't run the risk of learning mechanics that get changed later in the EA development process. Every EA game seems to have some bad advice that floats around forever but hasn't been applicable since like v0.2 of the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Yoda posted:

Just watched this from beginning to end after you posted it, all I can say is thank you.

Yeah this is great. "Do you have a preference for the color of your rescue ship?"