Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ordered the game (XCOM 2). Is there a dedicated modding thread or a good series of posts in here about mods or something? I looked though the workshop and nexus and flagged a bunch of stuff to look into but it seemed like some stuff (lasers, customization options) had several mods that sound like they would overlap.

Do I need a mod manager of some kind or can I pretty much just slam lots of subscribe buttons on the workshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Alternative Mod Launcher checks for issues between mods. It'll reorder your list of subscribed mods so they work together better, as even if some mods don't exactly overlap, a big list o' mods may cause some issues with FPS or load times or other wonky stuff. The link has more info for it.

Rad, thanks!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of want to make a (I imagine?) simple mod, add a new flag/nationality. Do I really need to download a massive rear end SDK just to accomplish this?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here familiar enough with the modding tools / already have them installed / willing to make a quick "country" flag addition for me? I really don't want to have to download 42 gigs or whatever just to make a flag. Anyway, if it's easy enough, I'd enjoy having the option of making Earth Defense Force units. Here's the best clean version of the logo I've been able to find thus far on the internet:

Obviously, if this is more involved that I'm making it sound, don't bother. But if it's quick and easy to do I'd appreciate it. And feel free to upload it wherever and all, I just want it to exist for use.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 7, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So now that I've beaten the game once and working on a new modlist for a second run, I've realized a class mod I had installed hosed up the tier 2 blade research. Is this something that can be easily altered with config edits or something?

For the record the class mod is the Jedi class, which is kind of halfass anyway but pretty fun: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624482522

Basically you're supposed to get tier 2 swords from the stun lancer autopsy but this adds it's own class-relevant rewards there and apparently gets rid of the vanilla ones.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

So now that I've beaten the game once and working on a new modlist for a second run, I've realized a class mod I had installed hosed up the tier 2 blade research. Is this something that can be easily altered with config edits or something?

For the record the class mod is the Jedi class, which is kind of halfass anyway but pretty fun: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624482522

Basically you're supposed to get tier 2 swords from the stun lancer autopsy but this adds it's own class-relevant rewards there and apparently gets rid of the vanilla ones.

To solve my own problem, seems like I can just wait until I get tier 2 swords to enable to the mod. Workaround, but hey whatever.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to resolve the conflict between Ammo and Vest Slots and the Shadow Ops class pack but all that really seems to do is disable the features of one class's first perk so eeeeehhhh I'll live with it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are you using the Alternative Mod Launcher? I had an issue with something loving with the Long War Perk Pack trees until I used that and it re-ordered them and fixed it. I'd check it out and see if it's just a load order thing, and it'll tell you if it conflicts in the first place.

Yeah, that's how I know where the conflict is to begin with. Seems like its working OK for now.

Something has made my geoscape fps tank though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particular type of mod that would cause loss of FPS on the geoscape screen / slowdown transitions between facility screens / slow inventory switching, etc? Something is slowing me down but I'm not quite sure what.

I do have a conflict between a certain class mod and ammo/vest slots but I doubt that alone could do it?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

Besides all the normal fun mods, I have one map pack but it shouldn't be doing this. I don't think I have the "extra mission type" mod either.

The game is terribly optimized and they're not going to be fixing it now.

Well my first game didn't have this issue, second game I changed/added more mods. I suppose I could figure it out by turning them off but I just figured I'd ask first.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Parenthesis posted:

I had something similar happen to me. I solved it by deleting all my configuration files and then verifying the cache.

Thanks. Did this and it didn't seem to change much, but I'm sure it's a good idea anyway.

Went ahead and figured it out the manual way and turns out it was indeed the ammo and vest slots conflict causing the problem, drat. Well at least my game runs better now. edit: Installing an alternate utility slots mod causes a different conflict, with a different mod, with the same slowdown results. How strange.

rabidsquid posted:

its more likely the map pack because i've never ever ever been that far from an objective. in the unmodded maps its rare that i can't get to an objective in two dashes with that bonus move speed from the gts.

I'm playing with several map packs this time and have had some pretty far away objectives but the countdowns have been fine thus far. Not playing on a hard mode though.

Also alternate answer: grapple more :getin:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 19, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

I think this is a two part problem. The first part of the problem is that it's labeled as stealth, but it's "stealth*". The second part of the problem, is that if it was actual stealth, then the missions would feel a gently caress less monotonous. I don't think I've ever done a mission where I DIDN'T wipe out every single enemy pod, even on Vet which basically makes every single mission the same in terms of playstyle and objective. It also causes a lot of- can I say it? Ludonarrative dissonance. Where you're supposed to be this underground guerrilla resistance, but you've basically got the same tactics as as a ADVENT sanctioned kill-squad and employ gently caress all for guerrilla tactics.

There are a lot of mods that can enhance the stealth part of the game. This user has some stuff that helps: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198016374396/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500
I also like this one, although it's probably unbalanced http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=641582211

The stealth and the hacking are probably the least fleshed out / worth it parts, so hell yeah mods.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lunethex posted:

3 minutes? That's unacceptable.

My (PC) post-misison load times are something around this length. Maybe more. Of course I'm also playing with a lot of mods, but that's with the game installed on an SSD.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

Mentioning EXALT reminds me...

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/584/

This mod sounds interesting. Apparently it adds a third side for tactical missions, be it either EXALT who fights you and ADVENT at the same time, or Resistance members who are allied with you, but you cannot control them.
It also adds some new toys and new missions.

I like the three way fighting idea but that mod seems like it adds a lot of "other" stuff and brings a shitload of incompatibilities with it so I'm resistant.

I'd like to hear feedback on it, though!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The mod that adds swears and drugs and sex words to mission names rules

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Bladestorm is great if you are playing with sword heavy class mods though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a mod that lets you assign high ranking soldiers to the defense matrix to train rookies and thus rank up your lowest level dudes. I think it does like, everyone in your roster at the lowest rank you currently have though or something so I'm sure people will find this unbalanced. I liked it well enough.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zomborgon posted:

I like to imagine there's a universe in which XCOM soldiers act like EDF's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszJrHskyRU

But yes, I'd love to see EDF poo poo get modded into XCOM.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Going to pretend the Chosen are Drules and make a Voltron squad now

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Even if the new class stuff is locked down in some dumb way, mods will open that poo poo up :pcgaming:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

The fact soldiers are going to get more unique and personality-defining traits like quirks, perk skills, and battlefield bonds rules hard and anything to make my soldiers feel unique is a plus here.

I'm definitely looking forward to modpacks that add new mission modifiers and soldier quirks. I can't help but think about how much all this is going to open up to mods.

New quirk unlocked: horny for snektits. Gives solider a chance to be distracted by Vipers and lose a turn.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of good voice mods already. But I still want more. Sealab voices when?

Edit: and 12 oz mouse. And squidbillies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

Shen I'm declaring Martian Law!

Want a Sparks unit that yells POWER VACUUM when superior officers get killed

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Ugh. The wait until August 29th is gonna be sooo loooong.

Just make lots of character pool entries

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How many SA classics would work for XCOM? Reginald P Linux and Officer Cop. Lowtax in his American flag boxing gear.

drat now I want voicepacks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
XCOM 2 has the character pool and more dressup, it wins automatically

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

marshmallow creep posted:

Nope! I had load times that were between 10 and 40 seconds and then I started this iron man game and suddenly my load times for everything are instantaneous.

Are you pressing capslock?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I bet this and the skin colors mod pairs well for making He-Man dudes

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, I'm in. And here I thought the 30 bucks or whatever from GMG was good...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm gonna wait like at least a week probably for mods. Hopefully stuff like voices at least is easy to change over / requires no changes at all?

You can always spend the wait time making more dumb dudes for the character pool!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I don't even really care when I get my keys because I'm gonna wait for mods to get fixed up anyway but I'm the minority I'm sure.

I actually got the amazon price error and the GMG discount one so I should be getting two copies, in theory. Let me know if anyone wants to buy one off me late and for mostly full price :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

The main reason for the Integrated DLC approach was to avoid overwhelming new players with multiple consecutive story missions. If that doesn't bother you, have at it.

Last time I played with the SPARKs story mission on I could do it whenever I wanted to though? Does the expansion somehow force them all in a row or what?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

No but they're meant to be early game and they operate under the assumption people do them when they pop.

Jake went into his thoughts on it in the AMA they did earlier today.

So you're saying that everyone's being a big baby about something they both have a separate option for and can also prevent via mild self control, got it.

I don't even care man, that robot mission is fun as gently caress

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Count Uvula posted:

I think it's fair for a developer to change something if the way the game lays it out isn't ideal for players who don't know the details of the game and DLC :cool:

Yeah i don't really care either way, and even if it is somehow less than ideal someone will probably mod changes to it anyway.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So I have an assload of mods going and almost everything is going well so far, shockingly so even.

But for some reason the mods that add more color choices don't seem to do anything. The "one million colors" mod does work but only for like guns? Is that normal? The "more skin colors", "more hair colors" etc aren't doing anything at all. I remember them working in the base game, and comments say they work for WOTC, but I'm getting nothing. I've unsubbed and resubbed a few times now. Anyone successfully using these?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a mod that lets Templars rend work as a headshot and it is hilariously OP but fun as gently caress.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mega Man was unfortunately just reset customization-wise due to an armor transition and was since re-designed but when I saw this bond option I'm like, yeah we're doing that

The mod that adds dumb mission names continues to provide the laffs

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 16, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a modded class that somehow got bladestorm and the primary pistol equivalent so everytime they get anything near them it's probably fuckin dead. It rules.

One of the SPARK upgrades has also made my robots do the same with their rifles which is...probably unbalanced as gently caress but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to kill the Warlock last night because he just got so boring. The other two are much more entertaining. I think I'll take him out first next time.