Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bremen posted:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean, "run away from the melee death machine charging towards you" isn't exactly next-level strats.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It also doesn't help that a whole lot of people who actually have the power to do something about the internet monopolies don't understand how the internet works and have no idea why anyone would need faster internet.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Have they given any indication to how urgent the whole Avatar project thing will be? I'm the kind of idiot that panics way too much about forced time limits even when I think that they make the game better and are a good design decision. Is it going to be the case where we can delay it indefinitely if we just keep having successful missions? Or is that just going to delay it for a few months until we're eventually forced to do it? I just want to know how much am I going to be able to break the game before I finally have to beat it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The whole reason why Beagle is fun to watch is that he makes mistakes and is just good enough to get out of most of them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
4 to start +2 through upgrades.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I can't wait to download one of the thousand Hatsune Miku mimic beacon mods that'll get made by next week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just google a McDonalds or something in Australia, it's not that hard.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You've never had to change your address. You just logged in through a VPN and Steam would go "Oh you're in Korea now, cool, here's this game that you can play since you're obviously definitely in Korea and not California."

Like that's the entire point of using a VPN.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SkySteak posted:

Please tell me Thin Mne arn't a thing anymore

Please

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Antti posted:

I'm up to tutorial mission 3 and this is one of the rookies the game randomly spits at me.

GOTY 2016.

One of my first guys was a Japanese dude who had the same hair and glasses and was also black. He looked pretty drat badass. Also I think like half of my female soldiers are white and bald, seems like maybe a small bug.

For anyone with a lovely laptop wondering about performance: I'm running this on a surface pro 3 that has an Intel HD 4400 in it and while it's certainly not smooth the game is playable in 720p with everything turned off/down. I'd say this is probably the bare minimum that you can actually play it on, anything lower and I imagine the framerate would just be too annoying.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Henry Scorpio posted:

Beagle does this all the time in his stream and it didn't cause a problem...

It don't happen to everyone all the time, that's what makes it a bug. I definitely got it during my first mission but a quick save/load fixed it, so just do that instead of actually ending your turn. Speaking of which loading a save is super quick which is nice while the game had launch day bugs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fuzz posted:

So VPN to unlock early on Steam... yes or no?

Do you think the dozens of people posting in this thread that are playing the game are all actual Australians?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a way to force your initial squad to consist of people from your pool instead of randoms? Someone earlier posted about how to populate your base with them but the initial 4 are still randos. I just want to start my main campaign with my dude in the first mission.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm not the only one getting weirdly long (like 2 mins+) load times right? At first I figured maybe it's just my lovely laptop but I'm playing off an SSD and loading a save from inside a mission takes like 5 secs. Is there just THAT much stuff that it's doing while it generates a mission/map?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

LibbyM posted:

I moved my grenadier and immediately told her to reload. Upon which she said "boom" did a fire grenade animation at nothing, used up her last grenade, and did not reload. I'm convinced this is because right as I tapped r to reload bradford did a little dialogue about the rail network or whatever that took away my control for a second.

Giving two actions in quick succession in general seems kind of buggy. I've had guys bug out and not reload, go into overwatch/hunker, etc.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hooray a free camera rotation mod is already up :toot:

Still don't know why the game defaults to only 90 degree rotations. So many situations where you just want to look at a specific angle.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tenzarin posted:

They just dont keep up with fast paced combat, I guess i should be leveling some as gunslinger.

My snipers are doing fine early on, you just have to be extra aggressive with them early in a mission so that you don't waste turns moving them up. But they're good concealment breakers because that way you still have all your other troops close to the enemies and able to move/flank. Just getting lightning hands on a 'traditional' sniper gives them enough flexibility that my main sniper currently has the second most kills out of my soldiers behind only my ranger.

Tenzarin posted:

So in a 8 turn mission, you can move your sniper 4 times and shoot 4 times?

You dash them early on along with the rest of your team, once the fighting starts they stay about a dash away, if that. They do fine, it just takes more precise prep than the EU/EW snipers that you could just leave at the starting location because squadsight was OP as gently caress.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dongattack posted:

Heads up people that are installing mods, if you disable a mod you cannot load a save that had it enabled. What mods you install you are stuck with for the entire playthrough, it's really lovely and pretty much the exact opposite of every game i have ever modded.

It's like that in a shitload of games and makes sense?

\/\/ They already fixed that. Also if that happens with another mod you can just manually change the name of the folder the mod's in.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 6, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Combat protocol is my preferred early game skill because doing two guaranteed damage is huge. After you get a few sergeant+ level guys though I respec into medical. Medkits also don't do much in the early game since your guys tend to just die outright and you can only heal once which might not even matter if that soldier gets hit again and just dies anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MisterBibs posted:

I'm curious, personally, if the trio of "We're skirting a Mixed review on Steam / Look at what the most downloaded mods are / What is giving us negative reviews" makes them rethink some of the gameplay decisions in later balance patches.

If the "balanced" changes some people have suggested in this thread are any indication, I sure as gently caress hope not.

"Hey I know this one gameplay mechanic is designed so that you have to take a huge risk for a massive reward, but what if there just wasn't any risk involved?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Goatfather posted:

the patch today definitely nerfed aliens a bit. I'm getting lots of packs of 2 where I was always getting packs of 3+ before. I'm in the late game and I don't think I've ever seen a pack of 2 before today but heres another one, an archon and a sectoid. Also, last mission I found a solo sectopod. almost takes the fun out of it

There hasn't been a patch.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Goatfather posted:

steam downloaded 631 megs of xcom at noon. also it's crashing when i load saves sometimes for the first time ever

Did you somehow not have the soundtrack downloaded, because I think that was about 600MB. I haven't had anything except workshop updates and I figured there'd be at least one article about the first XCom2 patch coming out somewhere online.

ZenVulgarity posted:

What the gently caress is the awc pool

Because getting lightning reflexes made me raise an eyebrow

It's a bunch of high-tier abilities plus some special ones that classes can't normally get.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MisterBibs posted:

If popular player mods are ripping out entire game mechanics, there's obviously something wrong with those game mechanics.

Or it just means that some people prefer not to deal with those mechanics for one reason or another. Using this logic the thing that Skyrim most needed in the base game is apparently for all characters to have huge dicks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
For reference the most popular timer tweak mod has ~21,000 subscriptions (not necessarily uses, mind you) and is the 25th most popular mod in the game.

Yes clearly this is a must-change issue that the entire playerbase is clamoring for.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Musluk posted:

Also, posting this again:

:siren: if you press caps lock when returning to avenger from a mission, the loading time is instant for some bizarre reason :siren:

Holy poo poo, I thought this was some "How to revive Aeris" rumormill nonsense but it actually worked. What the hell is going on in the game that this fixes weirdly long loading times for the Avenger?

Elliotw2 posted:

I tried this three separate times and it never worked.

Are your avenger load times actually slow/long though? There's some weirdness going on where it takes some people like 2+ minutes to load missions or to come back from them. Maybe your game just doesn't have whatever weirdness causes that to begin with?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Speedball posted:

A codex is pretty neat to control because of their weapon disabling AOE, but when I use their teleport it's to someplace useless. Must be how it's coded.

What do you mean? You aim the teleport with your mouse, it just shows up as one orange square like the kind you grapple to and has a crazy long range. Also one of my favorite animations in the game. Some solid visual/sound work there, gj game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess I'll wait for a patch or two before I try again. I don't really want to speed run it, and I'm not physically capable of doing marathon sessions so I kind of have to be able to load saves.

Have you tried unsubbing and re-subscribing so that the game re-downloads them all?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bolow posted:

Oh nice a Russian voice pack already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECBJsO6pls

:greencube:

Perfect :ussr:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Not a Step posted:

Is there ever a reason to take Death From Above over Quickdraw? The use case for Death From Above just doesn't feel very strong, but Quickdraw crops up all the time.

If your sharpshooter is an actual sniper then they'll literally always be on higher elevation than the enemy and will never be close enough to use their pistol. I love Death from Above on my sniper, it lets them reload for free after a kill which is surprisingly useful since it means they can basically always be shooting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tae posted:

Do you get any XP for:
-Killing zombies
-Killing allies under mind control

Guessing no on allies but you definitely do for zombies. So yeah, farm that extra kill if you know you can take out the sectoid next turn anyway (or if he's the last alien left).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has anyone figured out the cause or solution to the sudden "Can't detect installed mods" bug? Just got it and redownloading everything (including the ignore missing dlc mod) didn't fix it. Have a flawless legend campaign that's like 8 missions in right now that I'd rather not abandon...

e: And of course the first time I try it after this post it works fine.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha got Rapid Fire on my Colonel sniper.

Didn't even get to try it out, the aliens sent in their surrender the next day and the game just ended, gg.