Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally caught up on the race

1) No fake debris cautions make such a great difference.
2) I like the new aero rules based on what I've seen.
3) Dat finish :getin:

VikingSkull posted:

e- also the race today was average to decent, with one of the best finishes in recent memory, shut up nerds jesus christ

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow

:stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wait, what? How?

Bush was leading from Suarez, and Dillon

Bush's tyre blew into one, Suarez overtook and then ran out of fuel, so Bush went back into the lead, Dillon passed Bush for the win in turn 3/4.

It was pretty dope.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait is NASCAR putting up full races on Youtube?

That's ... weirdly savy from these dumb dopes.

edit: also based on a sample size of 1 race I really like Gordon in the booth. Have goons taken to him the same? Or do people hate him?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Fontana was good last year because there was a multi page fight over whether or not Fontana counted as a "cookie cutter" track triggered by someone talking about how good the race was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember when Kahne was thr next big thing in the dodge car.

gently caress that was another lifetime.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
K&N East isn't broadcast live anywhere is it? I wanna see Bowman Gray

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
These declassified FBI files are amazing.

https://archive.org/details/RalphDaleEarnhardtSr.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually the more I read that letter the more I'm not convinced it's like, VikingSkull's dad or something...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Okay. I like guy now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Xfinity race was worth watching almost just for Carl Edwards goofing off in the booth.

e:

daslog posted:

Did anyone even watch the race? I fell asleep before the Green Flag and woke up at 2 AM EST

Yeah, it was shaping up to be a good race and then Carl had tyre problems, Truex's team did whatever the gently caress they decided to do and then it was just Kyle at the front. Junior looked like he was going to cry at the end there.

Oh and a big wreck.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 12, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are some tracks where as the cars have gotten faster with more horsepower, the racing has declined. The obvious example is some of those cookie cutter 1.5 milers that sprang up in the late 90s that actually produced really close racing for a while.

Ironically, I don't think there ever really was super great racing at Texas because it's so loving fast that no matter what you do there's always going to be aero problems, so in terms of the race it was just a usual texas race, although there were some troubles getting around cars, but you really could if you wanted to. I think it was just not an amazing race due to two of the three contenders having troubles at the end.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

the ratio from 2008-2015 was far worse, IMO. The COT/high-spoiler G6es were awful, awful cars.

like I can take bad races if I at least think I'm going to get a good one every few weeks, yeah? the last season I watched completely, 2013 was just mind-numbing. every race was just so god drat awful.

Yeah for sure. Current rules package is a step in the right direction for sure.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

We've had more good then bad races this year imo. Texas was the only pretty boring one, but when has it ever been good?

Yeah, Texas is so fast that you're gonna get aero problems regardless.

edit: You're not going to get amazing racing every week, but you just want a package that can facilitate that more than hinder it. Gen 4 cars had a package that could race really well in the right circumstances, and as pointed out by Alan Post the COT cars did away with that for a while, and so far this year it's looking like you could get a good race when the stars align.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

it's not even like a "stars align" thing, it was just like, loving mind-numbing to see every race turn into cars spaced exactly one second apart because A) they're all the same so performance differentials are minimal, and B) they're so aero-dependent that you need a massively better car to actually get close, which is a loving problem when combined with point A

Yeah, the COT really killed me enthusiasm for NASCAR back in the day. A real boner killer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have kind of hilariously turned around on the original chase format. I really like the idea of having to run well across a bunch of different tracks* over the course of a season to qualify for the chase not just "win at talledega"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shame on an IGA posted:

I just love how the tandem draft revolution produced the first interesting restrictor race in a decade or more and NASCAR's immediate response was "aww hell naw"

Yeah the last one was.. I wanna say that 500 that Junior won where there was just like a pack of 8 cars at the front instead of the usual wall. But then again there was so many shenanigans with those DEI Restrictor cars.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Xfinity race was really great.

The Cup race was pretty meh, but sometimes it's good to see a guy dominate just for variety's sake.

Bring on Richmond.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

be nice wicka posted:

motogp charges (depending on euro to dollar exchange rates) roughly $15/race, $30/month, $120/season

MotoGP has had this, by the way, I wanna say at least 10 years.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow I just caught that race, what a fun finish.

Also am I the only one that kinda likes those stupid Dale Jr Nationwide ads?

Speaking of Jr, do you remember that time he spun Edwards in a loving Busch Race they were both whacking and was all "yeah, I wanted to win today :dealwithit:"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also as far as "return on investment" NASCAR is one of the better ones unlike F1 or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

owns

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

I think from now on Ima root for junior.. he seems like a chill guy, as much as I hate him, I hate the super busch brothers more.

Yeah he's so relentlessly likeable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

on average it's 4-6

mods alone are reporting like 10-15% increased counts and no one knows why

This is it this is the beginning of the wave of new drivers that will MAKE NASCAR GREAT AGAIN.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

If this is even half as good as Heat 2002 and Dirt to Daytona were I'll be fuckin' so happy, man. EA's games really took a nosedive starting with 2005 and Eutechnyx's games had a decent driving model but just the worst game built around that model that they could have possibly made.

First console game I bought was 2006: Total Team Control. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone itt was playing that on twitch which was great.

That soundtrack.:allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

That was prolly me, I streamed both it and Thunder 2003 a great deal a while ago.

What was the name of that super great/horrible song?

Ungratek posted:

I loved that game. I'd skip qualifying every race and would just race from the back every time

I was never any good, I couldn't get used to the push the cars had.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

HEY

YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR

MEEEEEE?

YES YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Cubey posted:

I haven't played 2004 in so long that I forgot it even had Three Days Grace in it. Man, looking back, the 2000's were really loving awful for rock music.

Total Team Control had that black crowes "CAN THIS THING GO FASTERRRRRRRR" song

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

What the hell are they going to steal? The most valuable thing at a race is probably Dale Jr.

Nationwide will pay out big of you return him unharmed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up on the race because ~work~

Is it stupid I'm just glad Truex won and a mid tier team crushed the opposition for once? gently caress that's awesome. :911:

edit:

VikingSkull posted:

unlike the aero era, I get a feeling that this race was a stinker because the 78 spanked everyone, instead of guys being unable to pass

This.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 4, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting race. Pocono is one of my favourite tracks to watch.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Quantrill posted:

If anyone needs some racing info from '72 to '84 I may be of help...

Oh my :swoon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love that shot of Dale in the #2 :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TBF, Smoke knows all about hitting young kids.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite quote of the night is

"one of you girls wanna dial nine and one and just hold it there?"

lmao oh my.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my lord lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I for one, am looking forward to the Coca-Cola 400, Daytona, this weekend.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat I was hoping Kurt could do something there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man, going to a NASCAR event looks rad as hell.

Apart from the car in the catch fence spewing debris everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gret posted:

SRA Owns.

Slickdrac posted:

Are hero :patriot:

"Now I know how JWT feels"
Like a big blubbering baby?

:patriot: