Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GoldenSeraph posted:

Is Dynamic Queue still lovely?

yes, but it's also extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GoldenSeraph posted:

So you're saying I should nut the gently caress up and get my placements done and over with already?
sure why not

guaranteeing one of your 2 best roles more than makes up for the clunkier interface In My Opinion

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

flyingkiwi posted:

If only I had 2 good roles instead of just the 1

put your secondary role as mid and then pick morgana mid the 1% of times you get put there

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pretty sure you can run ad reds on any champ in the game and it won't be wrong

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

yeah but are they Good Champions(tm)?

fizz is the best champion ever made

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

What's the best Yi build right now? Devourer/rageblade? Is botrk still good enough?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Gragas is one of those champs that's either garbage in solo q or 100% pick/ban in competitive, not really sure how they can break the cycle on him though. it sucks since he's a fun champ without any real BS in his kit but has to stay undertuned forever

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Magres posted:

It's Jhin actually complete garbage or are people just bad at him because he's a weird character (his winrate is abysmal)

More importantly, if he's terrible is he so bad it's not even fun

His win rate is the same as new poppy's win rate was on release. win rates aren't useful for a patch or 2 after a release/rework since almost no one who's playing the champ knows how to.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this is the worst top lane meta in solo queue right now, everyone only plays anti-melee champs. i welcome a patch or 2 of broken assassins if it means I get to farm during laning phase

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Assassins being good is bad but....Quinn being good is worse.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Verviticus posted:

assassins are fun
tanks are fun
spammy dudes are fun
energy characters are fun
jugggernauts are fun
jax is fun

adc? get hosed. get poo poo your loving face and put it loving in your rear end

yes....yes!!!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Somebody looked at all the pick priorities and yes, jungle is actually the 2nd most prioritized role (or was, anyways).

top and jungle definitely switch around in popularity depending on how good the melee carry junglers (E.g. Udyr, Yi, etc) are. Right now they're very good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Does the crit mechanic make warrior xin as viable as devourer again? People used to give me poo poo for building warrior but i really freaking hate farming out devourer on a champ that's strong during the first 20 minutes

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

While we're on the topic of jungle gripes, I'm still furious that they found the solution to making feral flare/devourer not reward lovely afk farming from 10 to 20 minutes (not giving it a huge discrete power spike at x number of stacks) and then went back on it 6 months later.

Between that item being omnipresent, rageblade, and multiple ADC comps, there's so much sustained damage in the game now that building defensive items without a solo lane gold budget feels futile

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yi currently has a 53% winrate in high elo (plat+), that's just about the best he's ever been post-rework other than the broken feral flare patch. Not exactly 'fallen off'

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the absurd mana regen on blue buff is the sort of thing that's been in the game for so long that people don't even stop to think about 'why is this allowed to exist'

the mana system in this game is all over the place though, you have these old champs like Galio and Yorick that can't fight for more than 5 seconds without building a dedicated mana item, and you have other champs like Lulu and Fiora that 'have' mana but don't really seem to run out via their normal laning patterns

edit: i did some additional research and apparently Lulu has 11 base mana regen at level 1 instead of the 6 that mages get because she's a 'support', so now that Doran's Ring gives 50% base instead of flat, solo lane Lulu just gets way more from her Doran's Ring than champs that were intended to be mages. Why does any of this exist aaaaa

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Banner of command and zzrot portal are both MR items for Galio passive if you're looking for a gimmicky thing to play next patch when zzrot is back

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Bronze is kind of a mess for the first month or 2 of the season when you can get people who were silver or gold last season and haven't gotten around to climbing back up again going against people who just started playing. there will be games where your bot lane duo goes 0-10 by 10 minutes and you're being repeatedly killed by a 3 item kalista under your inhibitor tower before 20 and you need to just shrug those ones off as unwinnable and keep your own play consistent and in the long run you'll win more than you lose.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Azzents posted:

I think role popularity is probably mid>top>jungle>adc>support.

Yeah this is generally right for bronze thru gold but jungle can move into second when farming junglers are good. i queue jungle/top and have been getting a lot of top games this patch since everyone wants to play udyr or whatever

edit: RE: Stormraiders, it's pretty good on Hecarim

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 21, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Libertine posted:

What item is broken that makes Shyvana good again? That's pretty much always the question.

Sated Devourer is the broken item, everything else is just another input for it to multiply

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm basically a Vi main ever since they hosed up Skarner and she's still fine right now, not sure why the winrate is down other than her not being a devourer jungler (you can play her as one but it's not really using her optimally).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

a medical mystery posted:

One possibility is that heal & shield team supports like Soraka, Lulu and Karma are starting to see a lot of play and they stifle her diving capacity significantly

The secret to teamfighting on Vi is that you're allowed to use your abilities to peel rather than to dive if the situation calls for it. Your teammates will rage at you for 'focusing the tank' but they'll also be slightly more alive. Though really if you're vs champs like those you'd prefer to split the map and not 5v5 at all

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

What does master yi even build these days? Yoomu's, BORK, and... Rageblade? Sterak's? I have no clue.

jungle yi can build devourer and rageblade and then defensive items and still do enough damage to kill anyone quickly

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

"FOTM broken" champs don't matter below like diamond. you can pick your way out of victory in low elo games by picking like ryze or nidalee or lee sin, but you can't pick your way into free wins since the best champs are still only 55%

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

this is just straight up wrong

if 55% winrate doesn't matter in bronze then it certainly is irrelevant to challengers.

The idea is that the higher you get on the ladder, the more player skill is normalized and the factor of champion strength becomes a proportionally larger decider in games

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

It's pretty hilarious. The constant Darius bans, the 0/10 bot lanes at fifteen minutes, etc. Bronze is a special place (I can't wait to get out).

the bot lane thing is especially pronounced this season now that ADCs are stronger earlier, that lane used to be the least snowbally in general but no longer

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's a corollary of the more important "please don't split on supports"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Also I think I am still in season 5 as I have gotten 4 and 5 man ganked bot lane during laning phase several times in the past few days.

Even after the tp nerf it's still not clear that there's enough reason to take a combat summoner instead of tp in solo lanes when you can feast on those juicy underleveled bot laners when they overextend. It's kind of a top level design problem with having a duo lane, or having a TP summoner spell.

K8.0 posted:

gently caress that. At low elo people are absolutely retarded and will happily go teamfight in the jungle while a wave takes a tower. You should not let this happen if you are a support that has any form of waveclear (So... Blitz, Naut, Vel'koz, Brand, Zyra, Vel'Koz, Zilean). Losing a tower is way worse than your team going 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 2 in a teamfight that no objectives are taken off anyway.

Don't ever buy Sunfire on a support though. It just does nothing good at all.
Catching a wave and setting it up to push back is not the same thing as splitting

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

If Shyvana can gank then Yi can gank, they're both champs with a gapcloser + movespeed but no lockdown

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Libertine posted:

I'll never understand the widespread obsession with trying to play a scaling melee carry in the 4th place gold earning role which is defined by early game contribution. It's a mystery that has baffled me for years.
outscaling is one of the easiest ways to win in low elo (easy in terms of mental effort, not necessarily success rate) and teams often aren't coordinated enough to punish your lack of map pressure in the first 20 mins

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sometimes you just gotta enter the Yi Zone

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think scaling junglers are fine and cool but sated devourer should be deleted from the game

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

My least favorite solo Q star is the solo Q "split pusher" who basically just shoves top as hard as he can over and over without wards and when he inevitably gets 3 manned over and over and dies goes "WHY ARENT YOU GUYS PRESSURING ANYTHING" even if you had all just backed or died or weren't able to push fast enough or whatever

Basically the person who doesn't understand that team can't just instantly push a wave to their inhib tower or understand that sometimes people just have to go back to base but just pushes as hard as he can and dies anyway

I feel like most of the time in solo queue when people say "I'm gonna spit" this is what they mean
This playstyle works all the way up to challenger if hashinshin is any indication

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Morde top is cool, I crushed my first couple games without even knowing how his new W works

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

His whole design seems boring, basically he's got a sunfire cape? And a stun? and... he can fly?

if you've ever played darius, this sort of mechanic is a pretty different experience than having sunfire cape

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh poo poo, guys.

Silversquid is gonna be capped at 50 permanent members now.

is this new system actually replacing chatrooms completely? i call dibs on a slot if so

new champ looks like it's trying to be a new take on the old RoA mages like Swain/Karthus/Anivia but with better roaming, mid lane is the best fit for that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's 2016 and IRC is still good, and cool

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i kinda like how understated the dragon man is, glad they are still willing to make some champs that aren't super flashy or complex

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Thresh is intentionally tuned a bit low so you have to be fairly on point with your plays for him to be better than an 'easier' support. Same deal as other popular mechanically difficult champions like Lee Sin, Leblanc etc, they have to balance them as if people are playing them close to perfect or else they'll be OP at the highest levels of play where that's actually the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

The only thing I don't like about Thresh I that I absolutely hate skills in pretty much every game that require you to be facing away from your opponent to be any good.

you can cast flay in either direction from yourself if that's what you mean, it doesn't matter which direction you're facing

• Locked thread