Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I don't usually read this thread, but am I correct that usage of the word AI and the ideas people have about it are insane?

Like some younger guys at work (and credulous tech journal readers of any age) literally use the word like magic. AI gonna change everything! Solve all problems! Anything you can imagine and also all the things you can't!

Was talking about sustainability and limits of growth with one guy and he's like "AI is gonna give us the answer!"

"But we know the answer, it's stop doing what we're doing yesterday and we're still not stopping. AI can't "solve" physical limitations and thermodynamics and such".

"We don't know that it can't! AI doesn't have limitations like that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Arguing with a young guy at work who's going to school for... computers I guess?

He talks about AI as if it's some inevitability that it becomes the AI from science fiction (or as if it was already). Sent me a "source" that was, no joke, audio of some tiktok guy saying they almost have Jarvis from Iron man.

He literally asked what I would do about alien invasions if I don't support AI development.

Meanwhile the other coworker who's willing to discuss this is older. He says we've had AI for years, starts bringing up aliens and Isaac Asimov and you know how could we invent the microwave and satellites on our own?

It's pretty frustrating. The tech bro hype is impenetrable. AI will improve exponentially until the techno singularity, it may as well have already happened. I just don't watch enough YouTube or tiktok to understand, fool that I am.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I've specifically noticed Marijuana seems to turn off dreams or at least stop me from remembering them. This has been anecdotally confirmed by a few other people who stopped smoking for a time and noticed dreams becoming more vivid and common. I don't know if there's any studies or science on this, but there's gotta be a correlation.

Have fun being drug tested for the luxury of being put to work in your dreams!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

An increasingly faceless automated labyrinth between you and every service you need, with as little humanity and accountability as possible. You mustn't be alarmed, this is simply our policy.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Wonder where that line is, where gadget is bad.

I like alcohol, but I'd need internet/books to learn to safely make cider beer liquor w/e. That or learning from people you know.

Digging holes is timeless, but doing it by hand? I want a shovel!

Seems so dumb it's not worth saying, I know. A contemporary question though.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gv_Uil_62k

Anarcho-Primitivism is, in fact, a dead-end ideology but Anprims are very funny, like people who took one look at Luddites and took every wrong lesson from it.

I wasn't familiar with anprims, but I might like them more than that skinny dweeb! I mean take a look around, I think the suggestion we should have stayed living in relative harmony with the earth has a lot of merit! The unga-bunga stuff was kinda funny, but its hard to argue for the course we're on.

Like not only are we far away from living as part of nature, we've all but made it an impossibility. The systems we've built destroy the future, but we have made sure we also cannot do without them. The idea we can no longer live naturally or sustainably is horrifying to me. And nobody at the wheel but the dollar. The market is the sole power, the only incentive behind force we wield as a species. A short sighted self destructive path that nobody claims responsibility for.

BiggerBoat posted:

For me it's as simple as a gadget, device or appliance being connected to the internet or something when it absolutely doesn't have to be. Making a "smart" toaster, blender, hairdryer or vacuum cleaner just for the sake of it that not only drives up the price but creates more chances for them to break is something I find frustrating.

Just because it CAN, doesn't mean it should.

It's like those screens that are replacing regular windows on beverage coolers which display images of coke, gatorade and beer. Was looking through the glass a problem that needed solving? And often, the picture doesn't even accurately display what's inside. Looking for a gatorade and when you open the fridge it's red bull and poo poo.

Man, what a huge time saver.

Yeah! And yeah to sentiment against making everything electric. drat electric seat button broke in our work truck, and my very short coworker had been driving it. I couldn't even get into the driver seat to move the thing. I resent needing a vehicle and hate working on them, but my dad taught me how (foreseeing my future at the bottom of the economic totem pole), yet it becomes increasingly impossible to fix vehicles yourself.

Control and consolidation in the name of stability and profit is no innovation. Look at the internet before mainstream social media. We cannot be trusted with control. Let us welcome chaos.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 24, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with Anprims is that their philosophy leaves billions to die from famine, lack of medical treatment, and other avoidable causes. The earth can't sustain eight billion people with natural methods, we need mechanical agriculture or people starve. To say nothing of the people who need medicine for heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems, etc. It's a vile philosophy.

Only just learned the term (and don't want to start a derail too removed from tech discussion), but is it so vile? Our systems already necessitate massive suffering and death. Geopolitical rivalries see us do untold damage in a doomed arms race to extract all resources before somebody else does, in the name of profit, control, supremacy. Its not for us, not for me.. Our own comfort and longevity is levied to justify genocide, the destruction of indigenous peoples and natural environments. Again and again. How many billions will die from the effects of climate change, only to leave a world where our amazing advancements are no longer accessible or possible for what amount of our global population can even be sustained on a planet far less hospitable to life as we know it? In a country with massive wealth and and culture of excessive consumption, people still die of preventable diseases, hunger, exposure, because nobody profits from caring for them.

I would weigh the cost of no longer having this against the cost of continuing it, I'd press that plunger every time knowing i would burn too. I don't think it's vile or incoherent.

It needn't be a black and white all or nothing scenario, but when we are so astray and seemingly unwilling to correct in any meaningful way, that threat is important. An attitude of being willing to do without it would be necessary to challenge it, or to help us survive its inevitable collapse.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 24, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for the responses, and largely not doing this-

Agents are GO! posted:

As a disabled person and one of the ones who would die, you first.

For one thing, yeah me first. I wouldn't be alive without modern medicine and likely wouldn't last many winters without it. I don't want to die, I don't want you or other disabled people to die. What we have built, however, is unsustsinable, unconscionable. We should endeavor to be strong enough go change it, and I don't see how that happens without a willingness to sacrifice. I hope to be strong enough to take care of myself and those around me for as long as possible. I'm not some doomsday prepper thinking my big alpha male dick is gonna see me ruling a post industrial dystopia after we're rid of the "weak". It's not about ME, it's about correcting our course to save our only planet.

For some lame pop culture explanations, sylvie in Loki who is willing, insistent even, on destroying the status quo and its systemic assembly line injustice and inhumanity, to her own death. Things might get worse, but they can't get better until things change.

How about in Andor? Prisoners staging an escape knowing the guards will attempt to indescriminately kill every one of them? Or when they agitate the fascists KNOWING they will brutally crack down, knowing people will die.

People in real life right now fight against vastly more powerful forces knowing the cost will be great and they'll likely die. Historically that's how things changed. Did democracy bring about the new deal, civil rights, women's suffrage? People held a sword to the system, they were arrested and beaten and killed. Stability and profit were threatened. Yet as our systems grow more entrenched even taking to the streets is becoming inadequate. Hostages to our own comfort.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Adding in the automatic stuff is bullshit too, nothing was wrong with me manually turning on the lights. Gfs car just always has all the lights on (my vehicle is completely manual lights), but one work truck has "day lights" that are always on, but the tail lights won't come on unless I flip a dial. This led to me driving at night without tail lights, because I saw the headlights were on and just assumed.

I'm pretty sure my dad can't figure out how to start my mom's car, it involves a button.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Chronojam posted:

It's just so easy!

Easy to forget.

If every vehicle you've ever driven (until the last maybe five years) had manual lights, automatic headlights would certainly suggest you don't need to do anything but adjust for highbeams. Especially because some other more modern cars operate precisely that way. And like in many other technologies, if kind of sucks to cede control, understanding, and responsibility of operation or maintenance (and I resent having to even own a car just to exist, so you understand me).

For one truck I believe you can't even turn headlights off without shifting out of drive (in order to not blind somebody ahead who is reversing, for example).

Forget lights? I have to be constantly relearning how to operate a vehicle. And its even worse at the other intersections of life and supposed innovation. And it sure doesn't seem to happen in service to the user.

Tech nightmare.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

As frustrating as politics and climate discussions are to have with "real people", AI talk has me at a new level. Just the other day my dad seemed to think he was pulling an ace out of his sleeve with "you say they're flawed, but what will you say when we make a database of truth so you can look up and debunk lies and fake news right away?"

He's just my dad, but plenty of other credulous newspaper and tech journal readers still insist Elon musk is a "genius with personality problems". Young people assure me AI will solve climate change. A girl at work insists EVs create 10x more emissions than ICES and she will not be swayed.

Gets a guy feeling like they just want peace in the world.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Assuming they'd ever happen, systemtic changes would still impact peoples lifestyles though. I think that's important to realize because sometimes I get the impression that people do think if we did changes "systematically" from the top down, that their lives would be unaltered, as opposed to them doing individual changes on their own.

But both approaches would likely entail a lot of changes, different changes perhaps, though I think there's plenty of overlap.

I think lifestyle changes (say not relying on as much tech or generally consuming less) is just another thing that only helps you sleep at night, unless a critical mass take it up. I still support it though.

Like as an individual, if you went all out, it's a scale between "spending your life to attack the status quo somehow" or "living off the grid/dying", neither of which changes anything if it's just you. So we spend what time we have here spreading awareness and building connections with people.

Living smaller or more simply seems like a bad deal when compared to the lifestyles of the wealthy or trendy, sure seems unfair. But I think there's something to be said for living smaller. It necessitates a better understanding of ourselves and nature. It takes power away from the forces ruining our world, helps you learn to live without them to some degree.

And yeah, I don't see a lot of hope people will embrace or accept "less treats". We have amazing technology to improve the lives of everybody, and particularly those who need it most. It just so happens people seem to be eager to be the ones who need it most. "Me me me what about me I need or even deserve this more". The opposite of a stubborn old man refusing to acknowledge failing health or see a doctor. I wouldn't call it hypochondria, more I think the state of the world does make us sick, but rather than a diagnosis what we need is to feel alive. A sickness of the spirit, that sends people seeking medical intervention and treatment for years. I certainly don't mean to demonize being responsible for your health (mental or physical), more when the world is so wrong I wish less people were willing to let the world tell them that they are actually what's wrong.

And unfortunately no small amount of "this world isn't my fault/responsibility, so I should enjoy all the finest things" which is basically just FYGM. The dude who works hard at a well paying job still sees extreme wealth that doesn't even need to work, and he's like "gently caress it I deserve all that too I work hard". It's all a goddamn selfish race to the bottom that the planet won't bear for more longer.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

The troublesome individual has been neutralized. No correction necessary.

More seriously, couldn't one apply the same argument to voting?

Hell, having ideals and convictions about how you live is more useful and impactful than voting. Right from "you can change how other people vote" to all the more important reasons.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 9, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Stexils posted:

yes, the same standards absolutely applies to voting in that its far more effective to implement change through organizations (unions, lawsuits, mass demonstrations, pressure campaigns) then it is to tut tut your neighbor for voting third party

And boycott. For instance, if you objected to Amazon, surely having a group of people committed to not using their service (despite the affordability or convienance it would offer) could be an effective weapon if widely adopted.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Funny how there's "work" and then there's "laboring to achieve something" (that doesn't make anybody money).

Gardening is a supreme example. Its work, and doing it by choice can be fulfilling and satisfying despite being uncomfortable dirty and difficult sometimes. Yet some people do it ten hours a day so they can pay their rent.

People fall back to "human nature" in service of all sorts of arguments... I say humans want to labor to achieve something. We want to burn our energy, interact with our world. We've just taken away that opportunity for many, and then forced them into "go move bullshit around to enrich the wealthy if you want to exist".

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I'm not trying to shame or judge or tell anybody what to do, but goddam going from sleeping to lounging to sleeping is some "here for a good time not a long time" sounding life. If that's your good time, anyway. Raising your heart rate by running or loving, building muscle by lifting or carrying, they release all sorts of beneficial natural chemicals and make you stronger and healthier.

That's the kind of "work" I mean. Running up a hill or pushing poo poo around in a whebarrow may be a drag when you have to do it (in order to survive through money and bills, usually otherwise removed from the effects and benefits of your labor). If you were doing it to feed you and your family (including the ones who won't get off the couch) it may not be as soul crushing, it's intuitively for you and yours.

I mean look at kids, crazy little bastards LOVE running up hills and pushing wheelbarrows! Well, until you start putting a tablet in their hands before they even speak.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Stexils posted:

yeah, and its also not going to be solved by magically incanting 'everyone needs to accept their life is going to be worse' when the vast majority of the problems are being caused by a tiny minority. any transition is going to have winners and losers, but most people do not have to be the losers because they are not the ones personally invested in the wasteful industries and pollution causing the problems. thats a political choice, not a necessity.

in your example handing the locals a fat bill to get rid of fossil fuel infrastructure is lovely policy. or take the US rooftop solar industry which is currently facing a potential crisis due to the fact that it proceeded through private middlemen writing scammy NO MONEY DOWN type contracts. thats not the result of a stingy population unwilling to sacrifice for a better future, thats the result of a dysfunctional system unable to plan and allocate resources efficiently. to the degree that people are disadvantaged due to necessary shifts (like your housing example) those kinds of plans can be implemented more gradually and smoothed over with money. suburbia wasnt built overnight and it doesnt need to be destroyed overnight either.

I agree with you that our systems are dysfunctional. The (powerful and enduring) systems we build shape the masses. We kind of "won" and the treat well can't or at least hasn't run dry, but this is literally unsustainable and all signs point to it destroying itself and everything. True to life/history or not, its time to get poo poo together. -posted from my evil electric box

So if you can't sell people minimalism, they do love to buy a fight. There is a fight to be had. Strength is sexy, passion is honesty. Its gratifying and healthy to be a part of this world even if it is a weird camping dad trope. People can't fail in expressing their will into the world, it's our world and our job. If democracy has failed, not willfully empowering its ravenous ghoul is our next democracy. The least we could do is try to live our truth, hell it's our responsibility if the next likely step is something worse. Where else will change come from?

It doesn't even need to be a moral judgement, and those are harder to make with actual individual people than "groups". But you did say it was political, and a tiny minority are behind it. If only to justify my post.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Probably because they've got tech guys saying the same thing to them, despite evidence to the contrary.

But seriously, if you have an employee who makes as many actionable mistakes as these chatbots do you would fire them, so what is the incentive to keeping them around.

Nobody wants to work anymore!

Look the search for efficient profit extraction is the dominant trait of human nature. Honestly people just get in the way of the business we conduct on this earth. Take it up with your God.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Some people diligently control what they eat out of spiritual/moral belief, or dietary necessity.

Some people are in a constant desperate struggle for identity and attention.

Who are we to judge the difference? Ultimately, it's their problem (lol yes I've worked in food service, and yes the customer is an idiot but switching knives and sanitizing things was just part of the job).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

taint of meat

Jokes on them, the taint is a superior cut. In some cultures it's a delicacy!

*editor* Perineyum!

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 1, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I hope they replace everything with "AI" as quickly as possible. Even if it didn't meaningfully shift the paradigm, it would be morbidly hilarious.

Why yes, I am an outdoor laborer with no faith in our systems.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I don't. I understand the urge but the result is just depressing overall. Sort of like the fad of "hoverboards" leading to the bizarre PSA that the NYC MTA had to put out

I don't know, it already sucks to interact with most services. Making accounts, automated phone menus, downloading apps... Least they could do is go full on mask off Idiocracy. Collapse with levity.

Are the Segway/hoverboards a big thing? I've only ever seen one, but I live in the sticks. (they are fun when you're drunk!)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Neither did the old dropped bonnet on a car. It puts the hands out of the way or it loses fingats (again).

Yeah the cybertruk hood is something even worse. I've gotten between gravity and the hood of a vehicle, and I kept my fingers. I dropped to my knees screaming a song of curses (and wanted to murder my idiot friend), but I didn't even have to go to the walk-in.

It's a good business decision. If you want to keep posting after your cybertruck eats your hands, you'll have to let Elon solder a chip in your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

An electronic seat sliding adjustment fails when the seat is set right up against the wheel.

And I hate that I have to use a vehicle, and whats more I want rolley-windows back you sons of bitches.