Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Presto posted:

By the Judiciary Act of 1869, you need at least 6 justices for a quorum.

Arguably an unconstitutional violation of separation of powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Technically, but it's a lot bigger difference in the minds of most Americans, as they are aware that SCOTUS justices exist.

My concern is that a 4/8 year obstructionist hold on a new justice is approaching constitutional crisis levels.

We have been in a de facto crisis ever since the shutdown, really. Question is just how overt it is. But yeah, it is getting more undeniable every day. At this point our government is just a kind of slow motion train wreck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

UberJew posted:

if we reached a point where there are only 5 sitting justices b/c we just don't ever bother to appoint any more and then the rest of government decides to ignore a scotus ruling as they didn't have a quorum then we'd have a fun little improbable hypothetical constitutional crisis

Dude, no spoilers for next election season yet, we have barely started this one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pixelboy posted:

I'm sure there may be very nice people there, but at this point our only option may be to fence this cesspool off - nobody in or out. Let them die off and start again.

Hey, I'm stuck living here!

I support your fencing plan if paired with a program to help me emigrate from SC to a sane country, like England or New Zealand

Unfortunately just admitting the American Revolution was a mistake doesn't qualify you for British citizenship

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

la guillotine is too good for him

The beauty of la guillotine is that she is generous in her affections.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

On Terra Firma posted:

Wow. I mean I get they don't like his politics but he's the loving President.

Probably a security issue. Anywhere the president goes the security gets crazy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: Also, in relative terms, NPR is what passes for mainstream leftism in the U.S. Unless you count more obscure publications like Jacobin, there is no real major Leftist voice in America. :smith: :sigh:

That's probably accurate, but Planet Money is especially right-wing by NPR standards.

Overall NPR is like a 1990's college republican on a liberal campus. "I'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JonathonSpectre posted:

The JEB! made $ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS of Republican money vanish into smoke and what he got out of it was showing everyone how politically toothless the Bush family is in 2016.

I'm dancing on their political grave tonight. So, so happy that shitbird is finally gone, I hope tonight is the beginning of his "broken shell of a man talking to himself in a gin-slurred voice" phase of his life and that he lives to be 150.

Y'all can dance on Jeb's grave all you want, but Dubya's embrace of torture and right-wing lunacy is a big part of why Trump won tonight. Dubya's brother lost but in some ways his legacy won.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

smg77 posted:

What are we all going to do with our lives when President Trump shuts down the Internet and we can't post here anymore?

Don't worry about it, pretty sure most of us will be relocated to camps anyway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not sure any policies can stop it at this point short of poo poo that would rival Ted Nugent's deepest insurgency fantasies. There will always be rare (and they are rare) hellraisers who have learned that they can get nationally, eternally famous by shooting up people so they're going to do it. You don't need to be mentally ill in order to be willing to shoot up first-graders.

A national guaranteed mincome and a national agreement by major media to no longer report would go a long way, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

A law forbidding reportage of mass shootings would absolutely save more lives than an AWB (as in, it would save more than loving zero lives). Of course that law shouldn't happen because rights aren't as malleable nor are mass shootings as significant and important as public safety types would like to imagine.

Yeah it can't be done by law but it could be done voluntarily, as with rape victim names, if our media weren't a disgrace.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

A law forbidding reportage of mass shootings would absolutely save more lives than an AWB (as in, it would save more than loving zero lives). Of course that law shouldn't happen because rights aren't as malleable nor are mass shootings as significant and important as public safety types would like to imagine.

Yup, it couldn't be a law but it could be done via general agreement, like with rape victim names or other kinds of suicide reporting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

McAlister posted:

Also, this is like the only situation where being a woman is an advantage in politics. Ann Richards was ten points behind her rival in Texas - despite his multiple scandals - but won the governorship when he refused to shake her hand in a debate a week before the election. Before he was blatantly disrespectful the race was "Claytie and the lady" - she didn't even have a name. After he shat on her in public while she maintained dignity he became the loser and she became Governor.

Bullying bluster simply has a different social connotation aimed at a woman. Rather than making you look strong it makes you look weak. And due to different social expectations of women Clinton can do what Jeb couldn't - be above it and unmoved by it like in the Benghazi commission. When Jeb tried that trump took shots at his masculinity. A "real man" would view these as "fighting words" and Jeb isn't fighting ergo Jeb is unmanly and unworthy of your vote. This got to Jeb and put him on tilt. His distress just emphasized the attack and made him look juvenile and weak. Clinton has no masculinity to defend and can't be baited like that.

Ok, this is the first really solid pro-Clinton argument I've seen. Good point.

I think the counterpoint though is that Trump is uniquely shameless and can attack Clinton in ways that would be completely unacceptable for other kinds of candidates; what he did to Megyn Kelly will be a bare shadow of politeness compared to the rank misogyny he's going to unleash on Clinton. Maybe that's not a good reason to not support Clinton, though, just like "he'll be subject to racist attacks" wasn't a good reason to oppose Obama (even if, statistically, in hindsight, it looks like Obama did lose about five percentage points on average due to his race, relative to where a white candidate would have been).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Good Citizen posted:

It really really is. Trump still isn't winning the general but that first time there's a bump and it looks like he might is going to be beautiful.

Personally I'm waiting for the convention.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Like computer parts said, they already vote. If anything, I think you'd see an even larger effect on the Democrat turnout, especially from Latino voters in this particular example. I hesitate to act like Latinos are a monolithic bloc, but I'm pretty sure "all Mexicans are rapists" is going to only sway them in one direction.

Hey, some of them are good people! He's sure!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

so how did the debate go? did rubio implode?

It was a three-way screamfuck. Rubio and Cruz actually managed to get under Trump's skin more than once. Overall they probably did enough damage to keep themselves in the race a little longer but not enough to actually take Trump out. Trump knew this and was already starting to pivot to the general (which is part of why they were able to get to him).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fojar38 posted:

Personally I'm not basing that on any scientific or statistical model, I'm basing it on the fact that all the Americans I know are good people to whom Trump remains a punchline. And yeah I guess that's basically just faith.

Well, you know how Iran keeps calling America the Great Satan?

Maybe we're the bad guy here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

If the GOP and Trump are at such odds, and they're technically a private institution can't they just say "Stuff the primaries. Cruz/Rubio is going to be our pick regardless of what the polls say."

If Trump controls a majority of the GOP delegates, who is the "they" in this scenario?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SgtScruffy posted:

Here's a question my wife brought up that I thought was interesting (and this may open a huge can of worms, and if this isn't the right thread, then forgive me):

What happens if Drumpf gets assassinated? Either someone feels he is a genuine threat to the fabric of the country and is getting too powerful at some point during the general election, or he just so happens to be in a plane crash after an engine malfunction on his plane - what happens?

My first thought is that Drumpf supporters essentially try to start a Civil War - they're the kind who are so passionate and have all the guns, so this would be immediately seen as a hit by [insert group that is not Drumpf here] and a declaration of war. Have there been any articles/think pieces written on it? Has the discussion come up here? Is that over-reacting to think that if Drumpf dies somehow, then America is basically hosed to death?

Discussing assassination is generally frowned on because SA has already gotten Lowtax too many Secret Service visits, but the worst-case scenario is probably somewhere between more bundy ranch / malheur refuge type incidents and something like the Oklahoma City bombing.

Probably also an uptick in violence against Sikhs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chokes McGee posted:

Hold on, back up. I know about the one that got LF shut down. Have there been more since? :psyduck:

That's the only one that I'm aware of, but one too many.

I mean, you can only execute plan b so many times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Most media outlets are owned by a handful of large corporations and if they don't want dean then they'll find something to hammer you with so you don't want him either.

This, and that was a time when there was a lot less "non-mainstream" media and the kids these days hadn't moved nearly as far left as they have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

LeeMajors posted:

It's really amazing how social media has made the awfulness of conservatism common knowledge and basically poisoned all but the shittiest youths against the GOP.

Too bad I'll be dead long before they vote regularly enough to reclaim congress.

Eh, another ten years or so we'll see big changes. Article I read this morning argued that 1/3rd of the voting population is now made up of "Millenials."

• Locked thread