Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Had a call at work today. The xray tech at a doctor's office in a rural town noticed his dosemeter was reading really high. He realized that he'd stored it in his lab coat hanging on the wall of their laboratory, which shared a wall with the xray room - - the wall the machine was pointed at. They put some xray film in the lab and turn on the machine. The film develops. There was supposed to be a lead panel in the wall and leaded sheetrock. They discover neither of those are present. They also suspect the glass in the control room isn't leaded either. This dude estimated he's got about 700—800 mSv in the time he's worked there. Sucks because how are you supposed to know there isn't lead in the wall if you're just an employee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
As a minor control freak I will always find it completely unnerving to be in those situations where I have to just let go and trust that the people with my life in their hands are competent at their jobs, all the equipment is properly maintained, and that no one is under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time. But you know that at least one of these is untrue at any given time, so you just go "Welp" and hope you live.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Volcott posted:

I mean, the alternative is dying from some all-natural cancer.

Yeah, but this applies to any medical procedure, amusement park rides, public transportation, flying, even eating out at any restaurant. Everything is out of your control so you just have to try not to think about it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The last guy to die this way before him was strapped into his front loader, so presumably the front loader went into the poo poo. Imagine that feeling, trapped in the cabin, watching the poo poo water rapidly filling the cabin, thinking not like this...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Some of the original roller coasters at Coney Island (IIRC) had loops so tight that people broke their necks from the force and died in the middle of the ride.

Nah dude.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Those giant evil hell dimension ships are job creators. Makers and takers, people.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

There's also an AdBlock browser on Android but I can't tell if it's integrated with chrome

Root your phone and install AdAway which constantly updates a blacklist on your phone's host file so it blocks ALL ads, not just in browser but in nominally ad-supported apps as well, etc.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
0.99999999 atmospheres equals 1.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My favorite thing about the laser rust gun is that it sounds exactly like a lightsaber, so apparently Star Wars was prophetic there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I agree with Evil Bunny. From the owner's perspective, in his mind how can it really that dangerous if its never happened?

It probably says more about your worldview than it does the story if everything you see is rooted in power dynamics.

"A shipowner was about to send to sea an emigrant ship. He knew that she was old, and not overwell built at the first; that she had seen many seas and climes, and often had needed repairs. Doubts had been suggested to him that possibly she was not seaworthy. These doubts preyed upon his mind, and made him unhappy; he thought that perhaps he ought to have her thoroughly overhauled and refitted, even though this should put him to great expense. Before the ship sailed, however, he succeeded in overcoming these melancholy reflections. He said to himself that she had gone safely through so many voyages and weathered so many storms, that it was idle to suppose that she would not come safely home from this trip also. He would put his trust in Providence, which could hardly fail to protect all these unhappy families that were leaving their fatherland to seek for better times elsewhere. He would dismiss from his mind all ungenerous suspicions about the honesty of builders and contractors. In such ways he acquired a sincere and comfortable conviction that his vessel was thoroughly safe and seaworthy; he watched her departure with a light heart, and benevolent wishes for the success of the exiles in their strange new home that was to be; and he got his insurance money when she went down in mid ocean and told no tales. What shall we say of him? Surely this, that he was verily guilty of the death of those men. It is admitted that he did sincerely believe in the soundness of his ship; but the sincerity of his conviction can in nowise help him, because he had no right to believe on such evidence as was before him. He had acquired his belief not by honestly earning it in patient investigation, but by stifling his doubts . . ."

-William K. Clifford,
The Ethics of Belief (1874)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I believe the 55mph speed limit was originally to save gas, not lives. In the US you also have to factor in poor public transportation and extreme wealth inequality, coupled with terrible labor laws and most states having only the most minimal of annual vehicle safety inspections, so your newish well-maintained car might be perfectly safe at 85, but you're sharing the road with car equivalents of the Millenium Falcon that have braking distances measured in football fields, often driven by people on the tenth day of working fourteen hour days between their three jobs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know that the UK uses kilometers right

Really?

UK Metric Association posted:

Speed limits throughout most of the world are set in kilometres per hour (km/h). The UK remains the only country in Europe, and the Commonwealth, that still defines speed limits in miles per hour (mph).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't speak for Germany, but in Sweden we have annual car inspections, including roadworthiness.

Things that will fail you:
* Structural frame rust.
* Non-functioning lights, signals or horn.
* Misaligned headlights.
* Oil leakage.
* Broken parking brake. If you have an automatic transmission, the P position has to lock the wheels as well.
* Damaged or bald tires (less than 1.6mm tread)
* Broken speedo.
* Weak brakes.
* Exhaust sound level and emissions.
* Suspension issues that cause unsafe handling
And in general not conforming to vehicle safety laws.

For most of the things you get a grace period of a few months to fix it and come back, but if you have a seriously dangerous issue the vehicle gets taken off the road immediately.

In Oklahoma where I live there's literally nothing. No inspection whatsoever.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I got a seven in physics

Out of what?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I was a kid I used to think that big poles like that must sink into the ground somehow so that people could change the lightbulbs at ground level.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

So when something like this happens do they just cut off the section of pipe now filled with human jelly and bury that?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

That would be amazing. They must be fun places to work at.

Also it seems like the crash safety for buses is "Don't crash."

Trains and buses have crumple zones, they're just filled with squishy human meat.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad there wasn't any sound on that video.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A distant relative of mine drove under the trailer of a semi that jackknifed perpendicular to the road in icy fog. She, the driver, was cleanly decapitated and her head literally landed in the lap of the passenger, who survived.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I'm still here, though.

The important question is: have you had kids yet? If not, there's still hope.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is true. Whenever there's a story in the paper about someone falling off a roof and dying in winter, it's an old person.

That's because a younger person will fall off and 'only' severely injure their back and die from the subsequent addiction to painkillers several years later.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I would be so mad if I died because of some stupid poo poo like this.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gives you some perspective when you think about, say, it's 40 BC and you're a Gaul fighting a Roman consular army and 10,000 of those things are coming down at you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Look, in half our drat states they can't even bother to check whether people have working brake lights and poo poo. The gently caress you think the political will to make people spend hundreds of dollars on contingency equipment and then enforce that is going to come from?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yep, that's the one.

And double yep on how useful userscripts are. I have so many running to fix poo poo from horrible colours in sites, to replacing text, to 'fixing' posts by goons with those obnoxiously flashing avatars.

I can never bring myself to install many extensions on Chrome when I see poo poo like this:

and I think about how several big Chrome extensions have been sold off/compromised by malware companies.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bozart posted:

Why do I get the feeling that is all in Scandinavia?

Because you know it ain't in America. Any American over 10 years old would be too heavy for those stairs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kennel posted:

Have escalators actually killed anyone in Western countries? (in the last 25 years or so)

It's seems like it's always China when these things happen.

Not often except for elevator technicians.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not often except for elevator technicians.

Is it like a competitive thing? I would expect escalator technicians to be at more risk.
[/quote]

Just saying if you're just a passenger you're in almost zero danger.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In fact, I think I read somewhere that the "number of people who've died in elevators in the last 25 years" or whatever statistic is skewed by the dozen or so poor bastards who died when the WTC elevators fell on 9/11 because the plane(s) cut their all the cables simultaneously, that aside from them and elevator technicians it's near zero.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

not officially, but the term "fall guy" exists for good reason

For example, the bastard going to jail this week over Bridgegate who isn't Chris Christie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Why did the guy in orange run into the car's path?

Because the alternative was running out in the street in front of other cars?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Man tries to fix traffic light with stick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05LOINlJmc4

I didn't do it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

The proper procedure to link trolley cars
http://i.imgur.com/zflfdiu.mp4

I like how the women keep checking to see if they can link it up like fifteen times even when the thing hasn't moved an inch since the last time they checked.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not only that but the number one way to get stuck in snow here if they haven't plowed or salted yet is to actually stop at an intersection. Once you stop, nothing you can do is gonna get you moving again.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They do the same thing in military basic training to emphasize how loving important it is to get your mask on.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

jamal posted:

I wondered if I was in the immediate kill zone the other day and then didn't look it up.

Based on some of the maps I'm seeing from a quick search, it would be close.

Might be better to die immediately than to live in a scenario where the bread basket of the world is under two inches of acidic ash.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's a good thing kidney stones aren't ferromagnetic.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Can you imagine any other transaction in your life that costs as much that you just agree to without any negotiating or foreknowledge and just basically write the hospital a blank check and hope it turns out ok? It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I saw these two guys going down a side road yesterday. Doesn't look as dangerous as ^ but I'm pretty sure there are several rules being broken.