Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
ENTERGY GRAPPLES WITH GROUNDWATER INFILTRATION AT VERMONT YANKEE.

Huh, interesting photo. Must be some stock photo that they're trying to make a weird metaphor with-

quote:

Contaminated water in a swimming pool inside the basement of the reactor building at Vermont Yankee.
:stare: Oh.

quote:

VERNON – The Intex “Easy Set” swimming pool retails for anywhere from $35 to $500 depending on its dimensions, and it’s billed as one of “the easiest family and friend-sized pools to set up in the world.”

But in Vernon, the Easy Set is serving a much different purpose than the one advertised on the manufacturer’s colorful website: It’s being used to help manage a complex groundwater-intrusion problem at Vermont Yankee.

Photos submitted to VTDigger show several blue pools marked with yellow radioactive warnings due to the full load of contaminated water inside. Pumps and hoses are connected to the pools in some images; others show large “bladders” apparently filled with water nearby.

While the setup may appear haphazard, Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan expressed confidence that the liquid – which he said contains “very low levels of tritium” – is being handled safely while plant owner Entergy develops a longer-term plan for managing radioactive water at the Vernon plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A fine idea, until someone was working at the bottom of the shaft, and a bolt smacked him on the head at terminal velocity. The hard-hat at least did its job there, so my friend only got sacked rather than prosecuted for manslaughter.

I seriously doubt it would have killed him.

It's hard to say without knowing the size, but if it was a bolt small enough to be swept up, it couldn't have been that heavy, and likely a fairly low terminal velocity.

Just using some estimates (1 cm x 5 cm bolt, density of 7.6 g/cm3, drag coefficient of 0.3) the terminal velocity would only be about 2 m/s. Even bringing the drag coefficient to 0.1 still only brings it to 3 m/s.
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal

It would certainly hurt getting hit with almost 1/4 pound of steel going at ~6 MPH, and I assume cut the scalp open, but hardly anything close to what it would take to kill a man.

Unless we're taking a bolt like one of these suckers:

But again, a little tricky to just sweep that bolt down an elevator shaft.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Eh, just a black bear. Assuming it's not a mother with cubs nearby, you're fine. They're giant scaredy-cats.

Although that being said, I was attacked by a black bear once while camping, so...yeah.

But to be fair, it was was brown-colored black bear, so maybe he just got himself confused as to what kind of bear he was?

Edit: V V V Yeah, now that I think about it and don't just blindly write down a number, 6 MPH does seem kind of slow for a falling piece of metal. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 18, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he's also a job creator cause now people have to fix that bridge

Following the philosophy of one Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, I see.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I feel like cheeks shouldn't do that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I dunno man. I made a post about it a while back when I first started working with that surge tester and was curious how dangerous it was. A ton of people have gotten shocked by it at work, and supposedly it's not too dangerous, at least what the people at work say. The high potential testing machine we have has all this poo poo that you have to cordon off and turn a flashing light on, and only the higher ups are able to use it because it apparently is capable of killing. It's weird they'd go through that trouble just to let all the regular workers use the normal machine if it was so dangerous. Either way, I'm not going to use it with 2 people anymore, only by myself when I'm in control of it. I could be wrong, I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but like I said I'm not going to do it while trusting another person to work it while I move the clamps around.

You know, it might not be a bad idea to schedule an EKG with your doctor. There could be some underlying damage to your heart you don't know about, better to get on it now before it potentially becomes a problem later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

fyodor posted:

"Guys, I'm going to go this way I'll meet you at the place we're supposed to be bombing I swear."

~~~Much later~~~

"Oh psshhtt yeah! I was totally there you didn't see me? Dropped my bombs and everything!"

story checks out

I imagine that, if true, the more likely scenario is that the pilot got lost because of weather conditions, and maybe had to drop the bombs because if not, he wouldn't have had enough fuel to get back.

E: f;b.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

That varies a lot by jurisdiction. In my state you have to have 2 years residence, 90 days non compliance and there's an annual limit that isn't a month's rent for anything but the shadiest country hovel.

Wow. What state is this? It's like a slumlord's dream come true.

In my state, for minor things a landlord has 30 days to fix it, and then a tenant can pay for the repair themselves and deduct the cost from next month's rent, though it is only up to half a month's rent.

But for major things, like a burst water pipe, (and I'd like to think water leaking through an electrical fixture,) you can just completely withhold the next month's rent after giving them a "reasonable" amount of time to fix it and notifying them in writing. No deatails on what a "reasonable" amount of time is:

quote:

If major violations of the health or safety codes exist in an apartment, (a few
examples would be: a lack of heat in winter, a sewer pipe leak, or a toilet that
will not flush) the tenant may withhold rent to force the landlord to make
repairs. Before a tenant can legally withhold rent, however, four things
must be true:
Major code violations must exist that are serious enough to affect or
potentially affect the tenant’s health and safety;
and
The landlord must be given written notice of the problems from either the
tenant, a governmental inspector such as a health officer or town housing
inspector or from a qualified independent inspector;
and
The landlord must be given a reasonable amount of time to make repairs after
getting the written notice; and
The problem can not have been deliberately or negligently caused by the
tenant or the tenant’s guests.

Certainly no cost limit for major issues, and none of those "have to have lived there for two years" BS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

Harbor Freight gives those meters away with any purchase sometimes.

I got one.

You know, I got the email yesterday with a shitton of free coupon codes, including that janky multimeter (would only use it for sub-12V hobby stuff,) and none of them are working for me. :mad:

I have the min. amount required in my cart, buy every single one of the free item coupons tells me it's not valid.

I mean...The only reason I'm ordering a set of cheap screwdrivers to toss in a junk drawer/bedroom closet for those times I need a quick screwdriver is BECAUSE they seent me coupons for like 6 free things. None of them work, and it's not worth calling their customer service line about.

(One coupon was for a free power strip..that would probably be one I skipped using.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dr_rat posted:

....I've never wanted a hump a bridge more in my life.

I shall prove myself a better bridge humper then that fool that tried and so badly failed before me.

It reminds me of those proposed signs/monuments for nuclear storage at Yucca Mountain that are like,
"No great men or deeds are interred here, only death awaits." and architecture that is just meant to impose a sense of danger and foreboding.

Fake edit: Ahhh, here we are:
http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

Actual quote:

quote:

This place is a message...and part of a system of messages...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here...nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location...it increases toward a center...the center of danger is here...of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

I mean, seriously, did the people who design this never play a game of D&D in their life? That sign just SCREAMS valuable treasure and magical artifacts within, and maybe a spooky skellington or two.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The original was a bunch of unedited and untested bullshit compiled by some kid out of stuff he dug up in a public library in the late 60s. Hanlon's Razor is in full effect here. A few years ago the FBI released their files on the subject, which you can download in pdf form here. It's mostly responses to concerned letters they received shortly after publication and some memos about whether there was anything illegal about printing it. There's also some discussion about the many copycats online.

The FBI's initial analysis was that "From a technical standpoint, it is for the most part accurate but tends to over-simplify in many instances." The drug chapter is half fantasy and half stuff out of patent applications and chemical journals. The combat chapter is barely enough to springboard your own research. The bomb recipes, while generally correct, are not always complete and thus pose more of a hazard to the attacker than attackee.

I remember trying a couple of the things in it after I found it online somewhere in high school (late 90's.)

It had a recipe for "napalm" which, contrary to what Fight Club would have you believe, is NOT frozen OJ and gasoline...it's styrofoam and gasoline. It worked...to an extent.

It takes a LOT more styrofoam than you think to finally get a gel-like consistency, but it was sort of napalm-like. It was sticky and it burned, though nowhere near as hot as real napalm, I'm sure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Why is that one boar an aardvark?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

These guys have spent the last week repainting the water tower across the parking lot from my office:

Near as I could tell, they were being pretty OSHA complaint, except the guy on the ground doesn't have a hardhat on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

These guys have spent the last week repainting the water tower across the parking lot from my office:

Near as I could tell, they were being pretty OSHA complaint, except the guy on the ground doesn't have a hardhat on.

Update:

I can't tell completely, but it doesn't look like this guy is wearing a safety harness:

Edit: Just saw him stand up and walk around a bit, definitely not wearing a harness.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dillbag posted:

the safety vest will make his broken corpse easy to spot

e. if that is indeed a neon green safety vest and not a monster energy tshirt or something

It was some sort of neon green t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

E: nevermind.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Always check that a water tank is empty before you lift it with a crane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2ihqpb70o

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Worker dies in fall at UVM Construction site.

quote:

UVM Police Chief Lianne Tuomey later told the Burlington Free Press that the man had fallen from the top floor of the seven-floor structure — about 75 feet above the ground. The man had been wearing a harness, and it was removed before the man was brought to the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington. The man was pronounced dead at the hospital, Tuomey said.

Right, he was totally wearing a harness, we just took it of of him for no reason before he went to the hospital.

I'm guessing that they might have even just brought him over to the ER themselves, considering it's literally across the parking lot from the construction site:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Not OSHA, but too good not to post somewhere:
Police say Vermont crash prompted by GPS order to turn:

quote:

MENDON, Vt. (AP) - Police in Vermont say a car ended up almost vertical when the driver swerved quickly in response to her GPS ordering her to "turn around."

The car was suspended almost vertically on guy wires attached to a utility pole in Mendon on Wednesday night.

Police say 30-year-old Nabila Altahan of Dorchester, Massachusetts, was headed west on U.S. Route 4 when she passed her intended destination and the GPS gave sudden directions to turn around.

Police say Altahan reacted quickly to the instructions, leaving the road at a significant enough speed to propel the vehicle up the wires.

Neither Altahan nor her passenger was injured.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That second one looks like an Alpine Slide:

There's one* near me I went on a few times as a kid. I'm amazed they're still around, since the speed is entirely up to the rider using the "hand brake."

quote:

The ride is unique among amusement park rides in that the rider has complete control over his or her speed and ride experience. With this control comes responsibility: the rider must ensure the cart is not going too fast; otherwise the cart may overturn around curves, leading to possible injury or death.

*Edit: Turns out at one point there were three in the state, now all but one are closed.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 12, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DocCynical posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

9 atmospheres to 1 in a fraction of a second.

Holy poo poo. I knew that explosion/implosion killed all the divers, but I didn't realize the extent:

quote:

Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs of the chest and abdomen except the trachea and a section of small intestine and of the thoracic spine and projecting them some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Worth it for the badge:

"RAD SCOUT!"

That actually is a real merit badge:

Though I guess that's the old design, the new one's actually cooler:

Got quarks and poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Don't whizz on the electric fence

http://i.imgur.com/FLNzhK3.gifv

:stare:

I assume the story behind this is some underground cables shorting out? But then...they're already in the ground, so how are they shorting out to the swingset? And then all those other patches of smoke on the rest of the lawn?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I wish my crawlspace was paved like that.

It's called a basement, scrub. :smug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

elise the great posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, since they... kinda don't have connectors that can mate. A foley cath (indwelling) typically has three possible ports: a luer-lock screw-top port that requires a compatible adapter for flushing and drawing back fluid, a second luer that inflates the balloon, and a large open rubber tube where the drainage bag hooks up, which is large enough at the opening to jam your finger into if you had some weird reason to do that. I'm guessing that's where the oxygen hooked up, because oxygen hooks up with a slip-tip cath that's not compatible at all with luer systems (for good reason, as we use that system for IV lines). Plus the pt end of any oxygen hookup is like... a mask or a nasal cannula or something, which is COMPLETELY incompatible with a rubber tube.

I just can't figure out what wacko MacGuyver nonsense had to take place to get the two hooked up. Somebody had to work at that. And turn the pressure up to max, or something. I just don't understand HOW

Speaking as a former biomed tech, you'd be surprised of the ways to make one type of tube/connector fit into another through ingenuity/brute force. Had to do it myself a number of times as part of the testing/repairing process. Always had to be sure to take all my stuff with me when I was done.

But my guess is what happened here wasn't anything like that, probably just someone forcing it on. There's been MANY instances of patients dying from doctors, nurses, aides, family members, etc... connecting the wrong connector, even when they obviously aren't the same. They just force it for some loving reason.
Here's a sample image from an FDA site showing how an oxygen tube could be forced onto an IV port, which is similar to a luer:

And many blood pressure machines connect the tubing to the cuff via a luer connector.

You can see where this is going:

• An ER patient had an IV heparin lock but no IV fluids had been started. The patient also had a noninvasive automatic BP cuff placed for continuous monitoring
  • The BP cuff tubing was disconnected when the patient went to the bathroom
  • When she returned, her spouse mistakenly connected the BP cuff tubing to the IV catheter and approximately 15 mL of air was delivered to the IV catheter
  • The patient died from a fatal air embolus, despite resuscitation efforts

A lot fo hospitals have stopped using NIBP machines that use luer connectors for that reason.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Imagine the kinda man it takes to get into that seat without taking your pants off first.

They needed the extra guy on the right there to help hold down the counter-weight because they forgot to take into account the size of the cameraman's gigantic balls.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to know what would happen if you plugged that into something. Like, how fast would the ethernet end just melt together and start shorting?

Didn't some goon a number of years ago do almost exactly that only with a cable line instead of ethernet because his neighbor was stealing his cable or something and he just wanted to blow up his TV?

Then the next day some random house in his neighborhood burns down and he swears it wasn't him and his device?

But yeah, it'd short everything out almost instantly. No saving the switch or router. If you left it plugged in, it might start a fire.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alcohol has always been present during surgeries, but the massive increase of lasers and cauteries for surgeries has led to their always being a potential ignition source near the patient.

There's also usually a much higher than normal O2 content. In theory, the patient's breathing system should be all nice and sealed coming from the anesthesia machine's vent, to their lungs, and back again...but there's always leakage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh hey let me present this thing that millions of people do and takes about twenty minutes as something outlandish.

Look, I'm all for proper winter tires as the next person, but saying it takes only 20 minutes is a load of poo poo.

Maybe, maybe if you had a whole set of winter wheels, not just tires, AND you had a garage or driveway with enough space to work, AND you had an impact wrench to take off the lug nuts, AND you have a good floor jack and not the lovely scissor jack that comes with the car, AND everything goes smoothly and none of the nuts or wheels are rusted into place, then yeah, maybe you can get it done in 20 minutes.

But the average person has to make an appointment at a garage to get it done, and that can suck and depending on where you work/live, where a garage is, your work schedule, etc..., it isn't always an quick and easy thing to do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK the first point I didn't even think about because everyone who lives in a place where Winter tyres are necessary does have two sets of wheels. To the other points: you're just slow and useless. The only specialty tool you need in addition to any jack is a cross wrench, and a length of pipe in case some of the bolts are rusted or too tight. Maybe add five minutes for wheezing and cursing if you're really fat.

I've lived in northern NY (as in Adirondacks) or New England my whole life, and have known maybe half a dozen people who have a separate set of wheels and not just tires.

And if you want to come change my wheels on a snowy street because I live in an apartment with no driveway or garage to park in*, with cars whizzing by you in the dark who can't see you, spraying snow and slush and almost hitting you, be my guest.

Clearly my meaningless anecdotes beat your meaningless anecdotes. :smug:

*Actually I live in a nice house with driveway and garage, but I used to live in a tiny apartment with no parking, like lots of people do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GoJk7BKd4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

^ ^ ^ No hardhat! Violation! ^ ^ ^

ChickenHeart posted:

That said, a decent chunk of safety procedures followed today have their origins in stupid, avoidable accidents from yesteryear:

MedicalDeviceSafety.txt

Seriously, pretty much every safety feature, alarm, interlock, lockout, etc... on any medical device is there because at some point in the device's history, some nurse/doctor/patient/patient's family member/janitor/random looky-loo hit a button they weren't supposed to, or turned something off that should be on, or on that should be off, etc...

One of my specialties was anesthesia machines, and basically every generation in the past few decades has had a new safety feature that at some point engineers and doctors said wasn't needed because "That's not necessary! The anesthesiologist knows what he's doing!

Things like...

The knob to control Oxygen flow has to be both larger and have different knurling than the knobs for nitrous oxide and air. This is because on at least one occasion, a doctor was looking at something else, either the patient, or a life signs monitor (or a magazine), and just started turning the knob up to increase O2. But it was nitrous, and the patient was injured or died.

Speaking of, the flow of nitrous oxide now has to have a physical connection in some way to the flow of O2. The ratio can never more more than 3 to 1 O2 to N20. This is because once (possibly multiple times) doctors increased the nitrous flow too much and the patients didn't get enough O2 and were injured or died.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But if this story gets out that might also hurt sales! So now the company has to make a difficult decision about whether to start warning people about the dangers they've known about all along or whether to continue keeping quiet about them. A painful and troubling decision that companies have been struggling with for a long, long time.

Et cetera, et cetera ...

"Yeah we knew people would be horribly injured but we had sales quotas to meet, so whaddya gonna do?" :shrug:

Yeah, but Free Market!

Thank God Trump's administration will remove all that pesky government intervention and finally let the small businessman thrive again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Uh yeah. That's the ideal scenario. If she had a total hip and wasn't under general that means your wife had a spinal which means the surgery caused zero pain. That's an easy sedation after that. I love doing those. That's a beautiful anesthetic.

Wow, I never would have thought a total hip replacement would be done under anything other than general anesthesia.

I mean...there's hammering, and drilling, and reaming of all kinds.

I guess that's why you're the doctor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Less OSHA, more building-code violations, but...
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5mb4g4/made_a_hidden_secret_staircase_to_access_my/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A plane with a solarium? Designed by George Costanza?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DEWf-2do8

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mikl posted:

Personally I just have my headlights on every time I'm driving, even during the day. Am I weird for doing this?

Same here, but only because I I replaced my headlights with LED bulbs.

I have DRLs, but when they're on/the lights are in the "off" position, it sends a lower volage through, and it causes LED bulbs to flicker, so I have to turn them to 'on' to stop that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

"Plug and play" LEDs have the same problems as ebay HID kits. The optics of your light assembly aren't designed for the light pattern emitted by an LED bulb. It may look brighter, in fact it probably does, but that brightness is almost certainly not being used optimally and is probably worse in at least one way (glare, foreground illumination, etc.)

Right now there aren't really any good retrofit projectors for LEDs. The Toyota Corolla units are widely available but are generally considered to be worse than a standard HID projector retrofit. That'll eventually change of course, but a lot of the OEM LED lights aren't actually all that good either.

Hmmm..interesting. I've noticed that foreground and just off to the side illumination isn't as good, but I have fog lights that I always keep on that fill in those areas. I also only replaced my low beams, not my high beams, so mostly just in-town driving where there's street lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/ptYOh8L.gifv