Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorilla Salad posted:

Quoting this so so I can try to see what the gently caress it was.

I... don't get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

I assume the house was built on top of an old mine, not that miners dug up into his house?

Welcome to 18th century HSSE!

Finished with an enormously deep mineshaft? No problem: just cover it with thick timber and then pile a few feet of earth on top. Job done!

Exactly this happened a couple of streets away from me: took a hell of an engineering job to stabilize the area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-13630363

http://www.forkers.com/filestore/pdf/project%20profile%20field%20road%20coley%20district%20chalk%20mine%20stabilisation%20scheme.pdf

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the positive side, at least it didn't tear her scalp off.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Search Houston Tram Crashes on Youtube for endless light rail/ motor vehicle hilarity.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

PhotoKirk posted:

I think we had 1,000 collisions in two years.

:toot:

They always run into the trains with such joyful abandon:

"I am the only person who counts on THIS road, bitches!"

*CRUNCH*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tony Snark posted:

Not really, it's the normal usual ratio of individuals that can be trusted to safely use dangerous thing versus the hordes of idiots that shouldn't be trusted with anything more complicated than a spoon.
This thread wouldn't exist without it.

There's a ford in my town where a stream runs across a back road. After heavy rain, it becomes impassable but the extensive warning signs and the fact that you're basically driving into a loving lake doesn't deter drivers from routinely cheerfully plowing into 7 feet of water.

"No more can be done to stop "idiotic" drivers getting stuck in Charvil ford, says highways chief"

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/no-more-can-done-stop-6521474

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This morning it's OSHA-3, Florida Man-0. :smith: Same scenario that we read about all the time: person A goes into an unventilated manhole and collapses. Person B goes for the rescue and collapses. Person C goes to help and collapses. Turns out that it was a cocktail of hydrogen sulphide and methane that got them. Ventilate your confined spaces, people.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/16/crews-work-to-free-workers-in-key-largo/?e=uLXN0pHsbQKGPQ

I like how the whole tone of the report is "What a tragic accident" rather than "somebody is going to pay heavily for these 3 completely avoidable deaths".
The risk of encountering low-oxygen environments in confined spaces is extremely well-established and well understood and a few simple precautions would have prevented this from happening.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Powershift posted:

He'll be fine, he's a stuntman.

Not sure what he was trying to accomplish or if he succeeded, but it's still funny.

Clearly an attempt to recreate that scene from Fallout.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't imagine that being true, at least around here. These loving things sit 70-90% empty year round. How is it effective to charge one person $2200/mo for his 1Br and be surrounded by empty apartments when you could put up the exact same building, charge $600/mo and fill 30 apartments immediately? Is there some kind of bad developer subsidy?

The accounting value of the building is likely based on the level of rent that you can theoretically extract from it. For the company that owns it, if they drop the rents, the imputed value of the property would also reduce and that would gently caress up their balance sheet. They'd rather keep apartments empty than reduce the rents, fill the apartments but have their ratio of debt to collateral shoot up and breach their banking covenants.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ledge posted:

Stopped watching just as he walked under it. I don't understand how you could have such a lack of self preservation.

"Well, I've done this several times before without anything bad happening, so..."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

I've been on the Channel Tunnel and it is quite airport-like at the terminals.

Horror turned to near-panic as I then discovered that I still had my Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

Trembling, I apologetically pointed this out to the security staff, expecting the rubber glove treatment.

Last time I was in Switzerland, the Asian guy in front of me was quite upset to find he couldn't take 6 Swiss Army knives on board in his hand luggage.

The pilot stuck them in his pocket and handed them back at the end of the flight.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Imagined posted:

Seriously. Who panics and thinks "Better throw it out the window"???

Hey, it was a first date! She'd probably already rushed it, so the guy would think she was just taking a piss: she couldn't afford to spend 10 minutes repeatedly trying to flush and waiting for the cistern to refill, 'cos then her date would KNOW that she'd done a shameful smelly poo in his toilet. So she got in a bit of a panic and ended up making things immeasureably worse for herself!

That's my hot take on the most important story to happen in the Uk in the last 24 hours, anyway.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
From my local paper:

The Bristol Post posted:

For many, health and safety is a necessary evil which sucks a little bit more joy out of life each day.

But one hardy painter has been caught doing his best to shun every health and safety rule in the book by precariously balancing a step ladder on top of some eye-wateringly high scaffolding...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/painter-shuns-health-safety-rules-710128

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"Ok, so I've already put that diagram in the background but how else can I make COMPLETELY sure that my audience understand what the scientist guy is hitting with the hammer?"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"It's so, SO unfair that cops and local authorities are enforcing speeding laws intended to prevent people from dying!"

*weeps for American liberties*

:911:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A rock that size would be what, three - four tonnes? How much is a pickup truck expected to be able to handle?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Same reason you'll see a rebel get a machine gun and use it by just walking out into the street dumping it from the hip. They have nowhere near enough experience or training to know that they're uselessly dumping ammo. They just know "I have a machine gun and imma shoot it!"

So much of the Syrian war footage I've seen is bizarrely amateur by even the most basic standards of common sense.

*Dude strolls out into the middle of a street and hip-fires an entire magazine on full auto in the general direction of where he thinks the enemy might be, while his buddy films him on his mobile*

*Shades his eyes and has a good look to evaluate what damage he's done while continuing to stand out in the open*

*Cap flies up into the air as a hidden sniper plugs him straight in the head*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Look don’t interfere with this dude’s right to arm bears

You just know with this book they started with the title and worked backwards from there.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Reminds me of that grim clip where a river's overflowing a bridge in India. A dude tries to gun his moped though it (it's only a few inches of water, though fast-flowing) and is promptly pushed over the edge into the raging torrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zipperelli. posted:

Depending on the speed of the water, I'd bet you could lose a 2-wheeled vehicle in as little as 2 inches of water.

(Basing this on absolutely no science, but a few decades of riding motorcycles, dirt bikes, scooters and anything else with 2 wheels, and losing control plenty of times due to loss of traction because of water)

Yeah, the guy is like: "I'm heading straight" but the flood water had other ideas. Not posting the clip, 'cos I'm 99% certain he died in the river.