Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nude posted:

Also I'm surprised in all the threads this hasn't been posted (skip about a minute):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw

"Free climbing is much quicker and less tiring. OSHA regulations allow for free climbing"

OKAYYYYYY, whatever you say man. I guess if clipping in would slow you down, why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ivor Biggun posted:

It was an apartment complex, why would that be completely empty for Chinese New Year?

Everyone leaves the cities and goes back to their hometowns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ledge posted:

But why?

I don't think a gif has ever raised as many questions for me.

Maybe they're Russian. You ever think of that hmmm?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Just watch out if she hits the "loving murder people" side effect.

Hey but what a way to go

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

See, it's an EXPERIMENT so that makes it OK!

Kinda reminds me of the Backyard Scientist dude who seems to be just some guy with mini-foundry and just pours molten aluminum on poo poo while wearing short sleeves and cargo pants and never ever talks about science.

Here's his latest for content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_AshChTEY0

Phanatic posted:

So this happened at an open-air fireworks market in Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t-tJv1WA9M

:stare:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 21, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

What exactly did the cop think was going to happen riding right up on the dude like that? He's already breaking a poo poo load of laws, riding right up to him and trying to grab him was loving stupid as hell on that bike cops part.

hosed-up guy swerving all over the road. Better pull up right next to him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I genuinely do not know how I would lift a couch

The key is to lift with your legs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

If you're American and you want a ute, the Honda Ridgeline probably qualifies.

El Camino

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
150 mph Rocket Knife

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

that's awesome, way better than the 1000 degree knife, and i hope he does well with his channel

I hope he does not murder his brother by having him stand near the business end of some jury-rigged death machine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

I posted this in the schadenfreude thread, but it's just as good here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

You'd think if anybody were to know about this bridge, it would be the fire department. But then they plow a truck into it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Specifically, that's a 6X mixture. That means that the active ingredient was mixed with 10 times the volume of water.

Then a bit of that 1:10 solution was withdrawn, and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. Then a bit of *that* solution was withdrawn and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. And so on. So a 6X homeopathic solution has the original 'active' ingredient at a dilution of 1:10^6. That's a one ounce bottle, so the entire bottle has 28 micrograms of asbestos in it. Assuming they actually bothered to use asbestos in the first place, as opposed to whatever dirt they found lying around on the floor, or nothing.

That's actually a pretty high concentration for homeopathic garbage. Those idiots believe that the *weaker* the concentration the *stronger* the medicine, so frequently you'll see dilutions so extreme that literally not a single atom or molecule of the 'active' ingredient remains. You see, the water molecules somehow remember the substances they used to be in contact with and retain and pass those properties along.

Homeopaths are idiots.

Seems like a lot of trouble when you could just sell people hose water and tell them it has memories of being in contact with vitamins once.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

What's your gut reaction to a football stadium made entirely of wood?

They say they'll treat the wood with flame retardant materials, to which I say: I hope they're thorough!

Seems like they don't have a good reason for it.

I thought before I clicked that it was going to be amazingly cheap, but it's a 5,000 seat venue for $163 million. Not that it being cheap as hell would be a good reason, just an understandable one.

Seems like it's tied to the owner being a hippie.

quote:

The 55-year-old broadened his eco philosophy to soccer in 2010 when he took over the lowly English club and instigated a 'Green Revolution', removing red meat from the menu and turning the club vegan among a raft of initiatives.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

From the spaceflight thread:

Haha, you can FEEL how much the two uniformed guys looking at him want to say something about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't have any good OSHA content. I work at a desk. The desk doesn't even have sharp corners.

Sitting is the new smoking enjoy your heart disease

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Measure twice, cut onAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh*thud*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Forer posted:

My favorite thing about that truck photo is, in trying to get twice the load off at the same time, they spent more time puzzling out how to do it and had to bring in an extra palette and whatnot, and it still broke.

I think they realized when it sagged that the dumb guy in the blue shirt had overloaded it, and they were looking to level it off so they could pull one of them back into the truck. Their mistake was asking dumb guy in the blue shirt to fix it. He hosed it up by accidentally pulling the lift backward.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Who won, the grudge or the ring?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

I dunno, I don't speak Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLA6nfPvRo

Yes, that is a real movie. Seems to be answering the question of what happens if you watch the ring tape in the grudge house.

It was the Grudge. She hit a single off a high fastball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCMAU4m2lEA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wanna poo poo in this toilet like a goddamn king.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

The best bathroom situation is F&Ms in new orleans, they have a piss trough that rounds the whole room except the toilet which is just to the left of the door when you walk in (the whole room is like 12x12'), the door opens outward into the bar. I was extremely drunk at Mardi Gras one year and pissing in the trough, the door opened and the whole bar got a nice view of my junk. That's my "Door opens outward for the bathroom" story.

They got good cheese fries, but your night has been a real shitshow if you end up there at 4 am eating cheese fries.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good lord, I wonder what the insurance payout is for loving up a goddamn commercial airliner.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I like where the Fast and Furious franchise is headed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

They could also slow down the earth and make the day longer.

I mean, they're propellers so if we build too many of them, the Earth might take off!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be like in "Logan" where the self-driving trucks just blare an alarm at you and don't even try to stop.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the brake on a car just the same physical thing it always was though? Like there might be a program that would allow automatic braking, but it wouldn't ever interfere with the driver's ability to step on the brake and stop the car? I'd heard all those Toyota crashes were likely driver error after it was all said and done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Brakes generally still have a physical connection between the master cylinder and the pedal. The throttle no longer does; It is completely electronic.

Alright, so all this "Macedonian teenagers are going to hijack your Internet-connected car on the freeway and hold you ransom for bitcoins" stuff is malarkey. There's not a car in the world that will keep going when the brake is engaged.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

If you can't think of a way that manipulation of the controls of your car could be used maliciously, then I think you're just not trying hard enough.

Maliciously, sure, but not as a kidnapping method. It might be a viable way to murder someone, but there won't be hackers targeting random people for money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

I don't think that was ever seriously proposed, here.

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah its not like there's any value in someone controlling your brakes to demand money from you right. no one would threaten someone with violence for money

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Modern cars are perfectly capable of cooking its brakes. There's a reason the number one track day upgrade is a big brake kit.

Yeah it sounds like brake pedals don't actually have the physical connections anymore after all? Seems like an awful idea.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Speed 3?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah the video of the release is really cool.

I'm thinking of that movie trailer I saw about the most dangerous boat rescue the Coast Guard ever conducted, and all the characters are like "We go where no one else will!!! Nothing stops the Coast Guard!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU&t=83s

Ahhhh, too many balloons!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do you get workman's comp if you injure yourself by being a dipshit?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I mean, that shelving system should have been secured to the wall behind it, so regardless of the dipshittery on display, proper procedure wasn't followed before long he was a moron.

Soooooooo yes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

Getting the same feeling that tower climbing video gave me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfBrNtbP2c

I wonder if these guys start out just not bothered by heights or if they start out terrified and then eventually it gets boring.

Or what if it's still terrifying every time, and all the guys in these videos are just making GBS threads their pants every minute of it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

Here's a story about a speed-climber where doctors determined that his amygdala (which controls the fear response) just straight up didn't work.

Man, it's just a matter of time till this dude gets himself killed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

Free-soloing is insane, doubly so the multi pitch routes he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phl82D57P58

Noooope nope nope nope

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^goddammit

Synthbuttrange posted:

How did it even get onto that narrow pier and turned?!

Very carefully

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I love how filthy the whole house is. Can barely see the floor past all the toys and general clutter. Don't bother tidying up a bit before doing some construction work or anything, just leave the toys everywhere.

Yeah I think the chandelier is really going to class-up that shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

They need some kind of airbag that can expand around the end if it detects that it's tipping over. It's not perfect, but it could save lives.

Obviously they need a jet ejection system.