Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

NihilismNow posted:

We had a pretty OSHA new year in the Netherlands.
Turns out that it's not a good idea to build two 50 meter high wooden towers and set them on fire when the wind is blowing toward a city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Lrn_aBfvQ
It made pretty fire tornadoes (and set a bunch of wildfires and burnt a few cars and a house down).
Call that a fire tornado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyvOYcWgcg&t=26s

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

Does an F-18 lose 7,000fpm in a 245kt glide?

Hre's a (very lo-res - best I could find) copy of the same procedure for an F-16.

I can't read the numbers, but it looks like it's a more of a racetrack pattern, where the F-104's is circular.

I did also find a "NATOPS Flight manual, Navy Model F/A-18E/F", but it doesn't appear to have diagrams for flameout procedures, and :effort: reading it.

https://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-EF-000.pdf

Fake Edit: just found this

Edit: ... and this:

http://www.vzanartcc.net/uploads/Military_Procedures.pdf

quote:

e. Flame Out/Simulated Flame out/High or Low Key Approaches

These approaches are amazing fun, but complicated. Phraseology wise, they are similar to the overhead break replacing
altitude with something MUCH higher, and the words "break” with “simulated flame out” or “flame out”.
... but I think it's for a game or simulator.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 2, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australia has not been having a normal one lately.
No... posted this in the schadenfreude thread before, and it's definitely not normal...

Cable Guy posted:

I don't know where the schad [OSHA] is, but it's here somewhere.

quote:

Here's one for ya - two presumably extremely horny people have been caught mid-sex romp in the middle of one of the busiest streets in Melbourne.

That's right, two people have been caught on Melbourne's Bourke St bumping uglies - rather vigorously too - right out of the front of Myer.
Link possibly :nws:
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/tw...Jiz7_so39WWunSE

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did their cart explode when it hit the water? That looks like a comically oversized plume that almost reached up to claim the second guy as he rocketed away :stare:
Not to mention the detached seat of the first guy almost hitting and collapsing his chute...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-16/jason-challis-death-army-inquest-coroner-mount-bundey/10719132

A reconstruction of the shooting incident during Exercise Tigers Run

0:45 huh...oooooooh.
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger

quote:

Exercise Tiger, or Operation Tiger, was the code name for one in a series of large-scale rehearsals for the D-Day invasion of Normandy, which took place in April 1944 on Slapton Sands in Devon. Coordination and communication problems resulted in friendly fire deaths during the exercise, and an Allied convoy positioning itself for the landing was attacked by E-boats of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine, resulting in the deaths of at least 749 American servicemen.[1][2] Because of the impending invasion of Normandy, the incident was under the strictest secrecy at the time and was only nominally reported afterwards

quote:

The first practice assault took place on the morning of 27 April[6][7] and was marred by an incident involving friendly fire. H-hour was set for 07:30, and was to include live ammunition to acclimatize the troops to the sights, sounds and even smells of a naval bombardment. During the landing itself, live rounds were to be fired over the heads of the incoming troops by forces on land, for the same reason. This followed an order made by General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, who felt that the men must be hardened by exposure to real battle conditions.[8] The exercise was to include naval bombardment by ships of Force U Bombardment Group fifty minutes prior to the landing.[9]

Several of the landing ships for that morning were delayed, and the officer in charge, American Admiral Don P. Moon, decided to delay H-hour for 60 minutes, until 08:30.[8] Some of the landing craft did not receive word of the change. Landing on the beach at their original scheduled time, the second wave came under fire, suffering an unknown number of casualties. Rumours circulated along the fleet that as many as 450 men were killed

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

slight OSHA, at least something interesting I encountered on the job site:

Here is a bee nest that scared the living gently caress out of a coworker, when he made the cut that revealed it:

Looks more like a wasp...
:ughh:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
If you hit the "Previous" arrow on that fbook feed you get a better, longer video from inside the hotel.
:killdozer::supaburn:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Bad Munki posted:

A friend’s response to that. Possibly :nws: I guess? No nudity, just some lewd dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqn_0DQDuqI

Anyhow, seemed thread-appropriate.

She (or her uh... muse) used to be on Letterman a lot.... here's (I believe) her first appearance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQqxTSqMKY

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Whooping Crabs posted:

That's just the langoliers, chewin up the past as the plane escapes to the future
:aaaaa:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

xarph posted:

Two Ikea tablet stands in an M shape, a desk lamp, a "daylight" bulb from home depot, and my old Olympus E-PM2 with kit zoom lens. The only unusual bit was that after getting halfway through using some picture frame glass that wasn't sufficient to squish down the pages, I went to TAP plastics and had them put a 90 degree bend in an 11x17 sheet of 3/16" plexiglass. That worked great once I got the lamp and CPL filter on the camera arranged to remove reflections.

Postprocessing of the images was done in "Prizmo" for macOS.

If you don't have a decent camera, get a "Reticam" 1/4-20 mount to put a cell phone on a tripod. "Scanbot" is an excellent app if a bit slow for doing hundreds of pages.

Serephina posted:

I'm personally more impressed that he managed to get all that mounted so well on his ceiling.
:same:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

ekuNNN posted:

A Toxic, Illegal Garbage Dump in Arkansas Has Been on Fire For 7 Straight Months
https://www.sciencealert.com/a-toxic-illegal-garbage-dump-in-arkansas-has-been-on-fire-for-7-straight-months
Updated

quote:

Editor's note (8 March 2019): A former version of this article talked about the fire being toxic, which was not correct. The dumping site was also incorrectly described as a 'garbage dump'. The headline and article have been updated.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Boogalo posted:

11 foot 8 aint got poo poo on the 14th street bridge.

https://twitter.com/bosykes/status/1106155572817207296
Holy poo poo...

PathAsc posted:

Lol excellent

Content: the classics never go out of style

... It Lives !!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

You need the direct link, that should work.

Turbines have systems to angle the blades such that they don't catch as much wind, and also braking systems. They don't always work, but three out of four turbines shown seem fine.
Pity there's no sound.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

madeintaipei posted:

Is this why Mexican food night turns into the siege of Tenochtitlan next morning?
Only if you eat the tip.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Cojawfee posted:

It sprays a fresh coat of paint all over the ship just before the Admiral shows up.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

evil_bunnY posted:

That's 100% arson
Did you read the article..?

quote:

Stu, who works as a welder at a business next door, told the ABC he had been told an accident involving a forklift sparked the blaze.

"There was a forklift [which] accidentally pierced a drum which then fell, and obviously a steel drum on concrete, created a spark and with the fumes, one can only assume that it ignited," he said.
Which fits pretty well with this pic of a truck engulfed...

Also...

quote:

In a statement, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) said about 30 people were believed to have escaped the building at 16 Thornycroft Street before firefighters arrived.
You don't do arson with thirty people in the building...

So... No.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

I assume when they catch this guy it will be at an airport as he tries to fly to Brazil or something.
I'll toxx if you will... Arson vs Accident.

Edit: screw it...

:toxx:
Regardless of "contributing factors" such as improper storage... If the ignition source is found to be deliberate, I'll wear a ban. Taxman probably could do with the :10bux:
Modified terms in posts below

$25 US to forums, plus $25 AU to charity of your choice. My choice if I win would be Lort Smith Animal Shelter

Edit 2: I'd still like to see you put down a counter though.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 6, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

I'll play.

:toxx: that the fire was deliberately started by the owner or their agent in an attempt to avoid prosecution. Let's not trade bans over it though, I'll put up $25 to the forums and $25 to your charity of choice as my stake.
OK... I'll match instead of the ban.
$25 US to forums, plus $25 AU to charity of your choice. My choice if I win would be Lort Smith Animal Shelter

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Better video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8P5ItjjbM

... and story

https://abc7news.com/news/video-shows-ball-of-flames-after-suv-hits-gas-pump-in-seattle/1800755/

quote:

Police say the SUV was racing away from a nearby intersection after clipping a car and pushing it off the road. That car hit a tree and split in half, critically injuring one person inside. Witnesses say the SUV narrowly missed two gas pumps before slamming into the one in the video.
Amazingly, the two people inside were not seriously hurt. Police arrested one and are investigating whether the driver was drunk or high.

Edit: also..

FoxNews posted:

According to KomoNews, the driver of the SUV was a 60-year-old Uber driver who had a 40-year-old female passenger in the car. Witnesses on a nearby bus reported seeing the Xterra speed past them before clipping the Accord, which pushed the Accord off the road where it hit a tree and split in half.

The witnesses added that the SUV then lost control and, while it seemed that the driver was attempting to brake, the Xterra eventually went airborne over a curb, through a parking lot and then into the Shell gas station.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

wah wah wah big baby millionaire baseball men won't even come out on the field when it's raining

wah wah wah big baby millionaire gridiron players won't come out on the field without something that looks like warhammer armour...

:australia: :britain: :france: :scotland: :vuvu: :spain: ...

Edit: where the hell is the kiwi flag smilie..? I just spent an hour looking for it.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Pasco posted:

A failed welding job, followed by a more expensive truckfuckling than usual:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1121714194385076224

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1121721151150014465

F1 cars cost around $15 million though this is a Williams shitbox so maybe more like $5 million
If that twitter vid fails for anyone else ABC have it...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-27/loose-drain-cover-causes-havoc-disrupts-f1-practice-azerbaijan/11051430

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
You know what.... I know it wasn't in the terms but I'm bookmarking this and saying I lost my :toxx: because gently caress those guys.

Memento posted:

... Let's not trade bans over it though, I'll put up $25 to the forums and $25 to your charity of choice as my stake.

Cable Guy posted:

OK... I'll match instead of the ban.
Memento... name your charity, I'll pay up on Friday when I get paid.

Edit: link

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
More Australian OSHA....

(3.6m = 11'9")

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Uh... did you people not....

You know what..? Nevermind. :munch:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
No... don't

This is beautiful. I want to see how long it plays.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
This is a great example of an optical illusion btw... Rotate the image 180o and you see it's more like a tyre tread...

still pretty bad damage though. :supaburn:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

"The fifth floor in my office building has been supported with jacks for more than 20 years"
:supaburn:

Memento, I need you to nominate your charity as per our previous toxx

I conceded...

Cable Guy posted:

You know what.... I know it wasn't in the terms but I'm bookmarking this and saying I lost my :toxx: because gently caress those guys.

Memento... name your charity, I'll pay up on Friday when I get paid.

Edit: link

Edit:

Serephina posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It's clearly a tyre tread. Or is this one of those 'shrimp or small pastries' joke type things?
In the twitter pic, do you see blocks of rubber with grooves between them like a tyre-tread, or do you see flat sections bounded by raised ridges..?

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 11, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

Now there's two threads with nuts in them.
Ok... now I'm only seeing a tyre in the twitter pic... like it snapped back only minutes ago....

:wtc:

edit: content

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 11, 2019

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

How are you even seeing raised ridges? It's always been super obviously a tire.

- guy who worked in tire warehouse, 2019
:iiam:

I mean earlier, when I raised it, I was seeing ridges instead of grooves... now it's grooves.

I can't be the only one.

Memento posted:

Wow I forgot completely about that. Lort Smith is 100% a super good charity.
I'll get on it tomorrow when I get paid.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

guestimate posted:

I see bumps. Do you?
It's the same illusion... as SLOSifl's post shows quite well.

Incidentaly, I woke up this morning, went to shut down photoshop where I'd cropped the twitter post for imgur, and it was ridges. Came to post a "uh guys it's back..." and the illusion had gone. Now it's grooves again.

The brain is WEIRD.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Wow I forgot completely about that. Lort Smith is 100% a super good charity.

Cable Guy posted:

I'll get on it tomorrow when I get paid.

:toxx: paid

woof

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

In 100 meters there will be a left turn that is 5/5 sharp and be careful not to cut the corner.

auto rally co-drivers constantly read directions like that to the driver, alerting them about upcoming turns and hazards.

Example:

:sanix:
Small...

Far away...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Blindeye posted:

Why not vacuum it (gently with a brush head to not fail the filter)?

The dust filter is from the vacuum :eng101:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

Reminds me of the video of how they make steel scuba tanks. There's a lot more fire than I would've expected for a scuba tank, but I don't mind it :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVogfVxXPc
:words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No no, it flies below the atmosphere.

You mean in a different layer of the atmosphere?

No, it's below it. There's nothing down there.

Nothing?

No. Just a few birds. And buildings, and air molecules.

And?

And about five tons of white hot supersonic cruise missile.
Relevant cross post from the Ask/Tell spaceflight thread:

RoastBeef posted:

There seems to be fairly decent circumstantial evidence that it was the Burevestnik/Skyfall:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1160224334377414656?s=19

Bonus: NASA slide deck about testing nuclear rockets
:stare:

:supaburn:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

That much is known, at least a fair bit of it. This man tried to troubleshoot a particle accelerator when all the safeties failed and he took the full beam straight to his face. He completed his PhD afterwards, just got mentally exhausted faster than he used to (along with a half-paralyzed face and hearing loss in one ear).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Your link broke, here's a new one

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/footage-of-man-fishing-from-drone-being-investigated-by-casa/11460604

Edit: ... also :stare:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

toplitzin posted:

Here's some full footage of the F3 event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvHv_VRUM8

Ted in the paddock posted:

Yep, the paddock here at Monza, the best of the season it has to be said...the beautiful people here passing around, all air kisses and...

quote:

'scuse me while I kiss the sky...

RandomFerret posted:

No, those are clearly cars
:golfclap:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

SelenicMartian posted:

loving hell, don't leave a bus parked on a rail crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgK8K6rr5Pc
Jesus... driver dead, nine injured.

http://www.china.org.cn/world/2019-09/16/content_75209265.htm

Only other link I found was The Sun and well gently caress that sensationalist piece of rag...

gently caress. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Oh these are toys right... this is one of those toy vide... *man runs into frame* :stare: