Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Went to a tournament in Toronto today. Considering it was my first tournament I think 2-2 is a pretty great starting point.

Coming back and playing online though it's crazy how slow it feels compared to when I was playing there in person. Like before going I thought my connections and stuff were pretty smooth, but after playing for 5 hours head to head with other people it's way way different. Even with the new netcode it seems like it does leave something to be desired for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chun is really cool and good, but man it's weird playing a character I don't have any experience with again after jamming Karin for most of my time in the final beta and first week of release.

Also annoying going back to losing to random things because I keep dropping punishes. What's nice though is I already have a lot of the basic bnbs down in training mode because it's so easy to learn a new character. Now I just need to get them to the point where I'm pulling them off routinely during a match.

Also figure out how to do instant air legs, that video posted last page was incredible. Someday!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

quaunaut posted:

What is Karin's ideal against fireballs? Her V skill seems so pathetically incapable at blocking them, because you absolutely must be at range and have near zero reaction time.

Time a jump or qcb p over it (don't do this unless you have a ridiculously good read, you will be punished and regret it)

Edit: Probably the safest option is neutral jumping or the ole walk and block

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is it possible to tech throws to early, and thus lose the tech window?

I think that was a thing back when I played BB, but I assume it's not in SF? I swear that I am just completely unable to tech throws for the most part, a good half the matches I lose start with taking a throw or two and that setting up the opponent's mix ups.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Gorp posted:

You can mash throw, as long as they do indeed go for one you will break.
Throw reject misses are to my knowledge blazblue specific.

That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to double check that.

Is the best way to practice defending yourself from throws just to set a training mode bot to throw you repeatedly?

Maybe just mash it faster?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Golem II posted:

Do all fighting games go down to autistic people?

They prefer the name Fight Game Autistés geez

My game plan in this is so one dimensional. I really need to do what was suggested up thread and watch match videos to learn some proper mixups rather than meaty or throw or block.

I also need to learn how to have a proper offense from the ground. I can definitely get in some pokes here and there, but most of my offense as Karin currently is from getting a knockdown and I know there's gotta be ways to construct a proper offense aside from jumping in or random pokes.

Fighting games are hard

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RIP gootecks, needs to read his own book imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Anyone interested in playing some sets? I'm not terrible but not good if that helps!

CFN is FluxWildly
Steam profile is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elvismaximus

Edit: Man nevermind, my connection is crazy lovely tonight

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

This is extremely cool, and I didn't see it posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmfWcIaAyE

Karin can do some seriously cool stuff, and I have to say now that I'm starting to learn her meaty whiff setups you can run a pretty great offense with her overall.

Also how did I never know that ex dash is completely 100% projectile proof. This includes weird things that count as projectiles like Bison's inferno and fang's ground poison cloud.

Also it's really weird that Karin's second clp juggles, not the first. So you can actually reset off the initial launcher in the corner, which is pretty great if the person isn't expecting it. You can pretty much always get a dp out of most characters that have one by doing it, or you can do the forward throw meaty jab setup off the reset and get a weird pseudo-rmika mixup game going on.

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 8, 2016

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My favorite part of the trial mode is that Karin only has one combo into super in her set of challenges. It's not even a good one, it's crush counter then Vtrigger canceling her v skill into rekkas into super.

Like that's not a terrible combo, but they don't even show her basic JFL variants. They should at least have you do her midscreen super, then her basic crush counter micro walk stuff!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Update drops in like 10 min. Probably still no direct input support, but if you have a te 2 or s +, madcatz released a firmware update that will make it work with sfv.

You actually can't if it's the chun li TE2, that's not supported as I found out!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm still learning to reliably pull off instant tenkos. It's crLP into tenko into heavy Mujin, right? How lenient is the tenko input if I don't want the opponent to be able to block it?

Karin combos basically have starters and enders honestly.

Your general starters are:

cmp smp (this actually frametraps jabs, there's a 3 frame gap in the blockstring between cmp and smp)

cmp cmk (this has a 4 frame gap so 3f jabs will beat it)

ch slp smp
ch clp then either cmp smp or just smp depending on distance

Then you do just frame tenko. It doesn't actually matter which button you press, so how I do it on a stick is: qcf lk with my thumb, then piano (i.e hit one immediately after the other) mp and lp. What this does is register each of those buttons AND their release as punch inputs, so it mostly guarantees you get the instant variation.

At this point you have a lot of choice on enders depending on bar. The easiest ones are:

0 bar:

a second instant tenko
a lk mujin (which sets up safe jumps, none of the other variants actually hit with their extension so its sort of pointless)
instant orochi
vtrigger thing

1 bar:

ex instant tenko (I input this using thumb on lk and pinky on hk, then two fingers pianoing mp and lp)

lk mujin into ex tenko (you have to delay the mujin to keep them a little lower, then do not do an ex instant tenko)

In the corner: Do an instant tenko followed by the ex punch thing. This does a surprising amount of damage for one bar, and is great for finishing a round or getting the stun.

2 bar:

ex instant tenko, ex mujin

The hard version is: lk mujin, ex tenko, ex orochi (this is her best combo outside of super, you really should learn this!). This variant is also really, really easy when you're about 2 or 3 squares from the corner, so you should always use it there.

ex instant tenko, dash forward, ex punch thing

3 bar:

lk mujin, super

You can probably learn some other things here, but don't bother. Be aware that you have to delay the super in the corner till their falling body is at about eye level for Karin otherwise you'll pass under them.

In the corner you can also do instant tenko, super

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 2, 2016

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Going to need a bit to digest it.

In the meantime, I'm going to upload a video of my terrible scrubby Karin playing against a newbie friend's Ryu, I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone once the video's done.

e; here's my bad Karin video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbtRQlxgSw (I'm aware that I jump too much and am spamming Ressenhas a lot when I shouldn't, just FYI).

Feedback appreciated!

Quick breakdown since I didn't have time to get to this:

Stop the random Ressenhas: every follow up (and no followup) is unsafe. Even no follow up is -5, which you'll note for Karin is the same amount of frames as her sMP. This means that everytime you do it randomly you should be eating a full combo, if not a punish at least

Stop the random sweeps: When it's blocked (unless you're at the tip vs some characters) you should always be eating at least a sweep as a punish. If your friend was a little more familiar, the times you did it close you would've eaten a full combo off of cmp.

Watch the jump ins: If someone is not punishing your jump ins then it can be ok to keep doing it. For an example: see Marn's play at NCR :v:. Do not do it when you're practicing like this however! Force yourself to stay grounded and play footsies, Karin is extremely strong when she plays footsies well, and extremely weak when you rely on gimmicks as all of her specials are unsafe unblock

Learn some meaties: For Karin you should be using a couple buttons as meaties. These are: cmp, c/sLP. You can of course do it with other buttons, and there are setups for doing things like Ressenha meaty to combo off the overhead, but if you learn to rely on it you will be punished forever when you face someone better.

Work your combos. You already mentioned that and I wrote that big ole effort post so I won't go into this here (and you already know it)

Anti-air: This is absolutely critical. Karin's good anti-airs are: sLP, sHP, cHP. Her reversal/aa special is: ex ressenha

• sLP is relatively general purpose. It doesn't really lead to anything and doesn't do much damage, but the key here is that it covers a very close in jump or a neutral jump which is your deadzone for sHP and cHP.
  • sHP and cHP are actually really solid anti airs regarding actually hitting people. The problem with these buttons is that Karin takes a step forward as she does them. This means that very deep jump ins and neutral jumps can be an issue as they may end up crossing you up instead.

The trade off here is that you can cancel these buttons into her command dash: the lk version may cross under or may not, depending on distance. The medium kick version will ALWAYS cross under, the hk version will cross under and put you at just about sweep range on the other side of the player.

After the command dash you can do an extremely easy meaty cmp, or you can go for a throw. Versus Ryu and Ken, many players will reflexively throw an SRK on any cross under attempt to try and stuff your meaty or throw. It's worth trying a cross under then blocking on the off chance you'll get a crushcounter out of it.
What you did well: you tried to keep pressure on Ryu, it was unsafe pressure and really only worked because he's new but it's the right thing to do. Karin needs to be played at about mid-range and focus on pressure once you get the knockdown. Note that this doesn't mean crazy aggro rushdown 24/7. You should be in range to play footsies and pressure your opponent.

The big key to Karin though is that she's a high damage character at the expense of having the lower life point total. Unfortunately she lives in a game where many other characters have pretty high damage a few times a round as well, so your fundamentals need to be good once the gimmicks stop working.

I didn't put this in the combo post, but your CC is sHK. Your CC combo is:

Close range: cc sHK, micro shimmy forward, sHP as your starter. You can then JFL and do any ender, or VTC and do a second sHP into JFL. If you do the VTC you can ALSO do rekkas into super here (if you're feeling risky just do standard rekka extension into super, the easier way is do the cross up ender into super)

Medium range: cc sHK, sHK, VTC, micro shimmy forward, sHP as your starter, JFL, then any ender or rekkas

Long range: cc sHK, v-trigger or cHK

One last thing I'll add is that you don't have to constantly be going in. I mentioned it a little above but pressure doesn't mean pushing all the buttons. One of the most effective ways of putting pressure on someone is forcing them to give up screen, and often you can do that by simply walking towards your opponent and letting them give you the screen.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

When did they officially announce Guile last month?

Whoever's next will definitely release on the last possible minute of this month either way I suppose.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Klades posted:

Tenko still feels like Capcom just sort of half-assed it on the "let's make combos easier" side of things, simply because if you cancel into it from some normals, the earliest point where you can do qcf+k is pretty far removed from the earliest point you can hit punch. So if you cancel as soon as possible, the dash->tenko timing off of cr.lp is not the same as from cr.mk. The workarounds are to either delay the qcf+k enough so that regular timing gets you the JT but not so much that it doesn't combo anymore, or just mash the hell out of punch instead of plinking. I don't know why they would do that instead of just going "if you do qcf+k,p and the dash comes out you'll get JT" regardless of when the dash comes out. Other than the obvious answer of "Capcom bad".

I mean, "why did they make this easier and not this" is pretty far removed from being the game's biggest problem, but there it is.

I think it's because for whatever reason the buffer doesn't register for follow ups so the start up on tenko totally swallows the punch instead of registering at the appropriate time.

I'm not sure the timing is actually different for the tenko input itself though. The biggest thing is that the actual time that you cancel the move is slightly different between each normal which makes it easier for the follow-up p to not register. Or at least that's how it feels to me :v:

Speaking of Karin though I'm definitely a believer in using slk for frame traps now. It gives you a frame trap into cmp or smp with a gap of 2 frames and cmk with a gap of 3 frames, and having a legitimate low frame trap is pretty great!

I hope this month's character does turn out to be Ibuki or Juri. Both seem like they'd be fun in sfv's slightly easier execution engine. It'll be interesting to see how they tone down the Ibuki vortex though, since with the way this game favors aggression to start with it seems like it would be completely ridiculous.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's pretty amazing that they declined the opportunity to talk about their next dlc character, show a trailer for story mode, do anything to really hype up the game at all during one of their main pro tour events.

I know they didn't do that at the others as well, but it still seems like they should be learning their lesson at this point! It's amazing how little they seem to have learned from this experience. I do think it's pretty hilarious though that their CEO made a specific announcement about realizing that they should finish making their games rather than releasing them specifically for fiscal targets.

In other news with twelve hours of jet lag and only two days practice in a month i was able to go 2-2 at Toryuken against players that at least knew what they were doing. It's good to have your improvement at the game validated like that. Now if only I didn't constantly make mistakes maybe I could get a positive record for once!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like turning on the micro transactions may actually kill the game for a lot of players. At this point they're probably better off going the dying MMO route: free to play with unlocks. Everyone who wants to pay the sixty dollars get the characters without any more purchasing, skins only for purchase outside of basic ones like they have now, maybe a character rotation for free players. Season pass holders maybe get all the skins as the addition, beyond even just the dlc characters.

If they release a couple more characters though and then slap in the cash shop and lock them the remaining players are going to flip. Either way though if they want the game to last they're going to need to slow the attrition at least.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hahahahah:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/05/30/ibuki-infiltrates-street-fighter-v-roster

In the capcom blog update it sounds like they might not be releasing Ibuki till June, assuming that's what they mean by June being a big month for them. At the very least they're not actually announcing a release date for her.

Why do you make it so hard to like this terrible game Capcom?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So.. going to pick up Revelator next week. Is dustloop still the best resource for character info?

I'd find a GG thread, but let's be honest this is basically the new GG thread. I'm actually pretty hyped to learn it, it would be pretty amazing if Capcom managed to push most of the FGC into something like GG or KOF through how big a gently caress up they've made SFV.

I like playing the game, but it's like they're actively competing to see how poorly they can do and keep people playing. Maybe they're trying to figure out the minimum amount of effort they need to put in before people will just give up?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Dloop is pretty much dead. Most people have moved on to character-specific discords, and there are some general GG discords as well.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cloofish posted:

You're getting owned by the shimmy, which gootecks invented.

The Gootecks™ Shimmy™ Sponsored By Cross Counter and Full Sail University

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

lol

Also wow, I got Revelator and holy crap I'm terrible at it. After spending a bunch of time playing Street Fighter off and on over the years doing the gatling chain combos just feels so strange. Definitely a fun game though, can't wait to win a match

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I've been playing more guilty gear and friends, I am happy to report that after a couple more practice sessions I'm finally starting to get the chain combo thing and it's really fun. I still have dumb problems with combos that begin with airdashes in though, it's like going back to square one in terms of practicing but you do feel like you actually learned something every time you learn a new combo.

Elphelt is hella fun and cool and has neat guns. I even won a match against a really, really terrible player that also had no idea what they were really doing.

I guess I should probably at least play the dumb 3 fight story modes with Guile and Alex to get the fight money unlocks, I can't believe they're actually going through with locking the characters next week. I hope they somehow manage to turn this game around before it's completely dead.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Riot is going to release a league of legends fighter, and it's probably going to crush every other game in terms of player count and prize pool.

And I can't wait :twisted:

But seriously I actually really liked a lot of Rising Thunder. Kinetic cancelling was really easy to do and made the combos really flexible. The one button specials were kind of silly but it did mean that combos were extremely easy to learn and use in actual matches.

The biggest problem was that the characters were so, so boring and lifeless. If they can get over that they may have a legitimately fun fighting game on their hands, if not incredibly deep.

In SFV news juri looks really fun. Actually pretty excited about picking her up and learning her a bit.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tekken 7 looks really cool and good. Last time I watched anything related to Tekken was when it was just Bob vs Bob forever and while that was funny it was pretty incredibly boring.

I don't know what changed but watching Tekken 7 actually made the game look really fun and I'm pretty hyped to play it now. I hope the online play is actually worth anything this time, last one I played was I think 5 and that was awful.

On a Karin note please do not get addicted to qcb p you will get blown up for it when you fight better people. Focus on learning her footsies properly and playing a solid neutral game and you will learn so much more and be a better player.

Starters are:
smp, cmp
ch.slp, smp
cmp, cmk

Combos after starters:
Qcb+k (any strength, but unless you're cancelling lk to super just use HK)
Qcf+any kick+plink two punches for launcher
-qcb+lk for safe jump setup or super juggle
-qcf+any kick+plinked punches for more damage/stun
-qcf+any kick+ down p for the shoulder, I think
it's less damage but more stun and corner carry

You can also do ex launcher and then dash qcb ex punch for a simpler two bar combo that does good damage.
The harder two bar is do the first combo (launcher into up kicks) then ex launcher ex shoulder. That's her optimal two bar combo but significantly more difficult.

Edit: sorry about the poor formatting, phone posting

If you're in the corner you can follow any non ex combo with qcb ex punch for a little more damage and stun. There's a couple more complicated things you can do with frame traps, especially her slk, but that should get you started.

The one frametrap you should start with though is slp into smp and clp into cmp (into cmk if it hits). Those are both easy and will take you far.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I started picking up this game again and kinda enjoying it. I really, really hope they shake it up with the S2 update though because man, I really would like it to be good. Honestly cribbing from other combo systems and opening up the mechanics, but adding heavy proration to combos that start with light attacks would do a lot to open the game up without running into the LP into 450 damage combo that they seem to be terrified of.

For some reason I just can't get in to Revelator as much. It's not the inputs or anything, just for some reason I don't like the feel of gatling combos?

Pretty excited for Tekken 7 though! Can't wait to pick that up, play it for a month and then give up because it's so hard to learn.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

While weird it actually does seem like they're trying to shake the game up. Giving some characters an extra button that can combo is an encouraging change in my book. It would really help if they would talk about what kind of gameplay they want and how they're trying to create it. Like what's the guiding vision for the balance team? Or are they just in see what sticks panic mode?

I wonder when they plan to launch the season two changes now that the cpt is over. If they're smart they would launch it this month, allowing people to play with it and collect feedback for a final round of changes before the season starts again. Presumably this means that they'll instead release it the day of their first premier.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I thought there was a date, 12/20. Or is that just when you can buy the new season pass

Oh that's nice, totally missed that.

If it's that soon I hope they'll actually release complete change logs then, rather than doing the standard change a bunch of stuff and don't really note it. I suppose people will figure it out either way.

Also RIP Ono's dog :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Someone posted a Day one S2 combo video for Urien. There's some pretty cool stuff in it imo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8dsS9K8ekQ

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The fact that people got the rq icon from Capcom's server going up and down is probably the most Capcom thing imaginable honestly.

I got disconnected from 2 games before loading and decided to give up and just do battle lounges, which worked great oddly enough.

Edit: I wonder what the threshold actually is?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 21, 2016

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It might be something dumb they can fix along with the servers not recording info for most matches again, but yeah, right now load times got even worse including loading into training mode so its not just online.

They didn't seem any different to me last night, I'm running on a SSD though so maybe I've just not noticed?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dear thread,

I've reviewed the tapes, and I've got a shocking conclusion. SFV is fun to play but has some fundamental problems! I apologize for the harsh language.

Man I hope Tekken 7 has cross play, I'd hate to have to get PSPlus again to have a decent pool to play against.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah I still get those 5 star connection but almost completely unplayable rollback games occasionally but not very often anymore. Like <5% as a rough guess. But YMMV obviously.

I think of all the problems this game has, the one sided roll back stuff is easily the worst of them. Like stubby normals and limited combos suck, but at least you can have fun with it.

The one sided roll back and weird nature of the online play makes it incredibly frustrating to play sometimes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think I heard that the way they check it is time based, so if you take your time or whatever it won't get flagged. On the other hand that means you're still taking a bunch of time in the mode sooo..

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Next Balance patch is in march lol

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, don't get too crazy.

The announcement of the next balance patch is in March, they were only announcing the announcement.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

the S1 reversion bugs are so insane to me. why is the code even still in the game for S1 stuff

I think it's supposedly so that if you watch a replay from an earlier version it doesn't just immediately break the game?

It's insane that it reverts your character if any sort of connection issue happens on loading screens though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

What's a good way to deal with excessive walking backwards the entire loving match? Maybe it's my fault for playing casual in silver league, but nearly EVERYONE I play against spends the entire match walking backwards. I don't know how they so easily get away. I trap them in the corner sometimes which helps, but it's not fun chasing people all the time.

Hit them with a low into something to knock them down, then set up your meatiest meaty or take them to 50/50 town

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does anyone in this thread actually like this game?

I enjoy the bad game, but I'm playing ibuki now who actually has some fun stuff she can do.

It would be nice if Capcom would fix the issues and make it a good game though!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Could it be? Is Capcom finally learning a lesson??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They just revealed the S3 character list on stream. It actually looks... good? Blanka is back though RIP. The fact that they're finally just telling people what they're releasing for the year is at least a positive step forwards.

Maybe they can fix up other problems with the game?