Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Does your spoiler policy encompass earlier games in the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I found the Harley/Ivy dynamic pretty uncomfortable and cringe-inducing, given that it came from Timm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

mauman posted:

I must have missed something here, but why the problem with Timm?

I can't help but feel a sense of dread as to the answer, but I'm curious.

Timm is a good artist, but has a reputation for consistent, unneccessary (sometimes quite unpleasant) sexualization of all his female characters, at the expense of other activities. The Ivy/Harley concept didn't come from a place of "let's show a functional relationship"-it's not, even in AK- it came from an "ooh, lesbians" standpoint. Hence the prison shower catfights, innuendo, etc.

Timm does this a lot with his female characters, because that's ultimately what they are for him (see also: Batgirl's christmas costume change and the whole idea of Roxy Rocket before it got toned down for release). The things people like about the characters, including Harley, tend to come from other people involved on the projects, or from when he's not involved.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 1, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A couple other new enemy behaviors also occurred in this video:

1. Combat Experts have a longer distance attack where they jump onto another enemy's shoulders, then launch themselves at you. It can be countered as normal, but it gives them much longer range.
2. Medics can also help enemies that have been knocked down up- these enemies get back up much faster than they otherwise would. This might be a general enemy behavior, but I've only ever seen it in medics.

CJacobs posted:

The "The Arkham Knight is Alfred" theory grows in power and validity with every new episode.

Can't be- if it were Alfred Batman would have died already.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Omobono posted:

The Knight is totally a Robin, isn't he? Of the three Robins, my money is on Jason Todd, 'cause I don't see Tim Drake pulling this poo poo and Dick Grayson is unwinding from the years of being Robim by being Nightwing.

I spoiled this a long time ago in the main thread.

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, the identity of the Arkham Knight was spoiled months ago:

The Arkham Knight is going to be Joker's cloned corpse of brainwashed Jason Todd, hypnotized by the Mad Hatter into believing he is Talia al Ghul, surgically planted in a HARDAC body replica of Barbara Gordon, enhanced with meditation techniques passed down by Lady Shiva(really a fake imitation created by Poison Ivy) that have rewritten its personality to mimic Damien, transformed by the Lazarus Pit and the treatments of the ghost of Professor Strange into a perfect copy of Solomon Wayne that believes he is the heir of the mantle of Batman's future Cadmus project clone-child's illegitimate ward, Man-Bat, only he's gone into a fugue state where he believes he is actually a retconned character from a previous version of the universe(before Ultimate Crisis), Red Hood, who has a secondary backup personality in the case of subconscious tampering by the Court of Owls, which has prepared for the situation by studying and perfectly mimicking the behaviors, tics and techniques of the Gray Ghost, which will be revealed to call himself the Joker, Azazreyzael.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

The Knight is actually Batmite.

Dammit, I knew I was missing something!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Oh good god, are those all fakeouts that have appeared in DC comics canon?

It's a scrambled mixture of every character and plot device I could think of that's been associated with twisty mindscrew plots involved with Batman.

...Immediately after posting it I got like 5 responses suggesting additional things I'd missed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

An example of the really nice design in this game: one of the Knight's men is always positioned between them and the car so that the Knight themselves can't be hit by the first round.

Things I wish were in this game: being able to rescue the workers who die if you go for them before scanning the plant.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 3, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pretty sure if you turn on detective mode that's Clayface. Might be wrong though.

That one's the real deal, iirc. Checking now. Wiki sez it's the real guy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

2. This retcons things from Arkham City to make less sense, if I understand correctly. So, instead of everyone dying from Joker's Titan poisoning, which apparently should have killed a ton of people given that everyone and their grandmother decided to get a blood transfusion on the night of Arkham City, they're all fine now. Except for the ones turning into the Joker. Which is only five people out of the dozens upon dozens upon dozens that were mentioned to have been suffering from the effects in the previous game. How did they even cure the Titan poisoning for these people? Ra's disappeared, so they couldn't have gotten more blood to make another of Mr. Freeze's miracle cure's.

Batman gave Robin a sample of his infected blood, and sent him to have Oracle figure out a cure and track down the blood shipments.

Fun Things:
  • When gordon is identified on the CCTV system, his profile background text pops up.
  • Joker has a couple additional lines if you wait to call the batmobile. This is true in a number of settings. Joker serves as the usual "go and do this" prompting device, but of course he has really good lines to do so.
  • I believe you can check in with Barbara at the clocktower before things really kick off.
  • There's a bunch of extraneous info on other screens at the clocktower iirc.

Questions:
If you look around the mixing chamber, had you actually placed the fourth container of neutralizer?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ra's blood was never presented as definitely offering a cure. Batman was also exposed to much more of Joker's blood than others.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I encourage folks to give the game an opportunity to explain its decisions. Pretty much everything people are bringing up is addressed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When you have a good explanation for why you did a lovely thing, it doesn't change the fact that you did a lovely thing. That seems to be the overarching theme of the arguments here.

The game isn't doing lovely things to anywhere near the extent that people want it to. This:

anilEhilated posted:

You know, a Marxist analysis of Batman would be something to behold.

is pretty worrisome if it's going to become the tenor of discussion for the remainder of the LP.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Back in 2005 Forbes calculated this. Although numbers have undoubtedly been adjusted since then, Bruce was listed as having $6.5 billion in personal liquid assets, versus Lex Luthor at 10.1. Wayne is listed as having $9.2 billion in a more recent list, but Luthor doesn't appear there. All of these are messy because they only refer to personal holdings, not including the companies that Lex and Bruce control. Also, y'know, they're speculating about the net worth of fictional comic book characters. In any case, it seems like Lexcorp is larger and Luthor has more total assets, but they are more often tied up in his global holdings/schemes, plus in comicbook land he's repeatedly landed in jail resulting in the company being broken up and sold.

On the topic of equipping the police- in case you've missed it, Wayne Enterprises has donated basically every piece of equipment that the GCPD has.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 8, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Um yes it totally was, Freeze was like "this formula will fix Joker's TITAN bullshit but I just need this one enzyme..."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cool touches:
  • Batman is visibly disoriented by the effects of Hatter's hypnosis after he defuses the second bomb.
  • All of the officers have names that reference the alice in wonderland characters they tie to. This gives you an early clue with Officer Hutch.
  • Another early clue- the Hatter's subtitles show he's saying to batman: "You'll find you're Alice".
  • The last known locations of the officers are circled on the map in red.
  • I believe the officers' names and positions are partially randomized-I think I've seen other videos where the third officer was wearing the queen mask (and thus named "McQueen)- not sure about that one.
  • Everyone batman rescues appears in the GCPD and has variable dialogue responding to conditions in the game as time goes on. This is one of the things Rocksteady does best-and it's an insane, Shenume level of vox planning here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We've been down this road before.

I really wanted this to be a season of infamy DLC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cador_2004 posted:

I... Wait a second. Did Riddler reverse-engineer the Wonder City robots from Arkham City to make his?

It's implied, but I don't think it's ever directly stated. Their movements are different enough that they could have been an independent invention.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Riddler is like 1/2 car, this next segment is all car, that mine sidequest is all car. The two big gimmicks in my eyes were the Dual Play segments and the Batmobile and sadly they decided to focus on the latter. Catwoman still has the weakest gameplay of the 4 characters returning from City, but I would take 100 of her segments over the 100000 Batmobile segments we get. It's just so stupid.

I suspect it's because from a design standpoint it's hard to do Dual Play in a way that's engaging at multiple skill levels. Low level players won't know the differences between characters, and high level players have to react to your partner's behavior. Although it's conceptually appealing, it's not really possible to require players to engage with it in a deep way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't played any of the games after Origins because I still only have a 360 and yeah I totally agree with this. I think it'd be really cool to also play as civilians or cops or workers, whatever stuck in the city with all this rampant crime in the middle of a brawl. Batman's flipping over people's heads and doing roundhouses off of walls and you're over here trying to overpower three people at once without gadgets or the ridiculous physical training he has. It'd be really neat if you got to play as people who occasionally knew how to fight too, like you intervene in a brawl and it turns out whoever you're saving knows Muay Thai or something.

Rocksteady actually already made about 60% of this as their first game before AA. It was quite good, and began their "emergency workers in peril" fetish that continues to this day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I wondered this about the hallucinations in the previous games as well, but what's actually going on when Batman thinks he's fighting the mad hatter's goons? Is he wandering around the police station beating the poo poo out of random cops?

He was just completely trashing the room.

Tiggum posted:

Also, why did his x-ray vision show a skeleton in that third car when there wasn't anyone there?

By the time Batman gets to the third car, he's actually already pretty heavily hypnotized. The sirens(and maybe lights) of each car are hypnotic devices set up by Hatter-you can actually go back and see Batman beginning to react to the second one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Is it possible to drive to all the islands once you get free roam and tank driving ability to just go and kill all of the tanks on the ground before advancing the plot?

The Arkham Knight Militia has raised the bridges between islands- you can stop and clear islands one at a time as they become available. Batman lowers bridges to access islands as the plot progresses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I appreciate that the Knight was conscientious enough to close the door after he got out of his (ruined) car.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

IMJack posted:

This game's loading elevators/corridors are worse than Mass Effect's.

There's actually a bunch of small cool stuff in the lab and the lab hallway that scruffy ran past. Most loading elevators have secondary distractions- the one leading to the lab is the only one I can think of that doesn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

White Coke posted:

So Riddler is working with Scarecrow right? Do they ever explicitly say that he's testing/distracting you to further Scarecrow's plan or is it just implied?

It gets explained.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TwoPair posted:

A background detail two videos ago I liked that Scruffy didn't catch in the train station...

The ad in the train station says "RUN to Keystone". Keystone City is where the Flash lives.

The ad is actually animated so that a red streak flashes through it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Folks asked about the advantages of clearing tanks out of areas and thus letting police resume patrols- in addition to letting you get around safer, police patrols will periodically highlight mission objectives (such as serial killer and, I think, Azrael locations) in the islands they have access to.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That and the fact that Catwoman can still do her kiss takedown on Riddler's robots.

I believe the animation is actually modified, but not enough that she's not still doing it a bit.

On asylum's canonicity, it seems like the profiles are basically completely discarded, but everything that appears ingame is pretty much still accurate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think the thing about the early Riddle rooms/tracks is that Riddler really wants you to see all the stuff he put a lot of good hard work into, all the different robots, the mechanical set ups.

Riddler :words:

The underlying cause and motivation for Nigma's craziness is a pathological need for positive attention that is also really, really screwed up by a history of abuse. The details change in different settings, but Nigma's father basically had a habit of asking him impossible questions, then beating the hell out of him when he couldn't solve them. In most settings, this is because the father is jealous of Nigma's genuine super-genius. Nigma eventually kills Dad and goes out into the world feeling simultaneously worthless and superior to everyone, and comfortable primarily with interaction in those terms, communicated through violence. Batman effectively takes Dad Riddler's place in Eddie's mind.

One messy thing with Nigma in the games that isn't really explored in comics or elsewhere is that in the Arkham series, Nigma also cheated in order to solve a puzzle and his father's accusation of cheating was associated with abusing him. Arkham Nigma also routinely "cheats" in setting up traps he thinks are impossible for Batman to solve. In the games, Arkham Nigma also accuses Batman of cheating once the tide begins to turn and he becomes terrified of losing.

In the games and in most media, Nigma is simultaneously reliving his childhood abuse at Batman's hands, and unknowingly filling his father's role in proving his superiority through puzzles. He's completely crippled mentally-despite it being pretty routinely demonstrated that Riddler is in fact one of if not the smartest, most capable characters in the ingame universe.

It's a pretty great example of the weird, horrible character and mental illness synergies that are at the core of some of the strongest character writing in the Batman setting. Batman villains, at their best, are usually capable of normal or even exceptional life if it weren't for mental problems, usually stemming from past external trauma. In interacting with Batman(who is usually a stable counterpoint), the characters embody and demonstrate these roles, and respond to their defeat by either (very rarely, because comics) becoming self-aware and changing course, or by becoming much much worse by reliving the things that already hurt them. The same phenomenon happens in reverse with non-villain characters. It's almost like Batman is a genre of setting-specific speculative fiction.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From what I understand, DC treats Cassandra Cain like Valve treats Half-Life 3.

More like how Valve treats Ricochet, and with similarly good reason. Almost nobody knows it, and the ones who do don't like it. Frankly I'm surprised they included Asreal for the same reasons, but even after they modified the heck out of him he's still one of the weakest points.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

Clearly you are deranged, Ricochet is awesome and perfect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

That's also why I don't really like Batman's explanation for "What's Eddie's problem?" Narcissism isn't his problem. His problem is an inferiority complex big enough to blot out the sun, which he covers up by acting like he's better than everybody else. Nobody hates Edward Nigma more than Edward Nigma does.

The reason batman doesn't refer to it is that inferiority complexes come out of the psychoanalytic tradition and haven't been a part of the accepted psychiatric literature since the 60s or so. NPD and other more contemporary terms that Batman uses basically replaced the concept- they describe the same phenomenon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Was that a director's chair set up on a rooftop at 5:00?

Some notes on this particularly excellent chapter:

1. An arkham story unlocked by a riddle we haven't solved yet describes the moments that lead directly into the initial crime scene.

2. The Hospital is one of the most closely designed areas in the game-it's loaded with cues to the themes of what's going on.

After beating the mission, an audiolog will spawn in, I think, the lobby office (the same happens in all other season of infamy missions). It's must-listen.

The morgue contains the corpses of people who died in the diner attack from the beginning of the game- people we failed to save. There's also a very important easter egg there: A drawer for Talia al Ghul, which is empty.

You're not just going into the morgue to follow Ra's-you're literally passing through the crematory incinerator. Note the "ROBINSON" over the top, identical to the very first shot of the game.

Finally, if you choose to not administer the Lazarus to Ra's, the image of carrying Ra's out of the area is identical to the one used at the beginning and end of AC.

It's made pretty clear that scruffy's choice is the "bad" one here. It doesn't have much in terms of thematic resonance (there's a ton of visual cues in the "destroy the machine" cutscene- please do watch that alternate outcome), it's foreshadowed by the audio log, it's shorter and almost perfunctory, and you wind up with one less occupant in the cell block. That last one is perhaps the biggest- the game lets players avoid actually seeing Ra's die due to the player's actions.

3. Other easter eggs: Elliot Memorial Hospital has references to several other gotham villains in plaques and posters, particularly in the lobby area: Bradford Thorne (aka the Crime Doctor), Linda Friitawa (aka Fright), and Thomas Elliot's parents. I think there are more, but those are all I can find online atm.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 21, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Please wait for the end of the Riddler sidequest before evaluating its portrayal of Catwoman's agency.

berryjon posted:

So, uh, does the game ever explain why Rā's doesn't just toss Talia into a Lazarus pit after he recovers between City and now? 'Cause he was pretty dead as well, so it's not like there wasn't an active Lazarus pit within reach of the League.

Talia is almost certainly coming back, regardless of your decision in the Shadow War scenario- it's pointed to in a couple of places. I'm hoping Scruffy gets the chance to go back and snag the recording, because it's pretty significant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GladRagKraken posted:

Wait, if i'm reading the thread correctly, y'all are saying the "proper" outcome is the one where Ra's doesn't get the immortality McGuffin? Why the gently caress did Batman go get it then? You're telling me that Oracle is kidnapped, Catwoman has a neckbomb, a private army is running over Gotham, and who knows what the gently caress Scarecrow is up to, and Bats takes the time to go and retrieve a vial of life juice just so he can smash it in front of Ra's? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Batman got it because he wasn't sure what he was going to do, and becuause he wanted to destroy the Lazarus source. It's not hard.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

No, he's not. Otherwise why would he be working so hard to get Bats to be his successor and why would he have threatened to kill her if Bats didn't do what he wanted in AC? Ra's doesn't give a hot poo poo about either of his daughters except as leverage.

An audiolog spawns in the hospital lobby after the mission is over. In it, Ra's explicitly leaves the League to Talia if Batman refuses to succeed him during the AC series of events- he also says the Lazarus resurrections have become unsustainable. The only reason he's trying for Batman instead of handing over the reins to Talia immediately is because she wants him to give Batman another shot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At 12:16 there's a poster for the Pickney Museum's Terrors of the Deep exhibit.
Batman's injecting himself with a wound sealant.

CuwiKhons posted:

Actually there's something I want to talk about right now that is an incredibly minor and insanely picky detail but it drives me up the loving wall. You know the image we get of Riddler every time Scruffy rides an elevator down into a race track or he's doing whatever puzzle - that projected image of him with the weirdly small goggles and his doofy hawaiian shirt? That's not his actual in game model. It's not just that the design is dumb - he genuinely doesn't look like that, and he didn't look like that in any of the promotional materials so I can't imagine it was meant to be a surprise that Riddler turned out to be as gaunt and unhealthy looking as he actually is. What the gently caress is up with those projections?

There are two explanations I can come up with for that-I'm not sure which is the case.

1. Some technical reasons caused them to develop the model used in the projections separately. This is an element of previous Arkham games- when a villain monologues at you on a screen, it's not synced to their lines or anything. The devs actually just play a static loop of the character talking because they don't have a way to use a remote "Recording studio" setup like, for example, source uses. I think this is unlikely- Rocksteady have actual synced images for most (maybe all) displayscreen villains, and as anilEhilated notes, the same model is used for game overs.

2. This actually is the same Riddler character, but as Hobgoblin2099 says, he's trying to seem more together than he actually is. The ingame model is just much more disheveled, as was also the practice in AC. I think this is more likely.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

3) Why's he gotta use that explosive gel stuff on a barrier that's literally made out of plywood and scrap 2x4s? I could take that thing out with one good kick.

I'm pretty sure he can just break through it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Polaron posted:

I do think the APC took about twice as many missiles as it should have, given how few lines the driver had regarding TAKING HEAVY FIRE

The repeated lines, and the number of shots, were both because scruffy got past the escorts and took the APC out before the game expected him to.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rubber tires. Honest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Notes:
  • In the cache vault, on the right, is an idealized portrait of Cobblepot reminiscent of his animated series appearance. Generally it's worth taking a look around Penguin cache locations- they have a bunch of easter eggs in them.
  • The screens on the watchtowers are using the same tech seen in the Arkham Asylum hacking device.
  • The vault at the end of the video has a number of copies of other bat-gadgets.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 25, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the thing that bothers me the most in this series: the scores upon scores upon scores of dead people.

Made weirder because of Origins' inclusion in the timeline. Batman has a mental crisis when the corrupt police commissioner dies, but none of the Rocksteady games ever have him dwell on the tons of dead people that get killed. Does he even react to Penguin killing Officer Best in front of his eyes?

He reacts to Best's death. He also reacts to NPC deaths in Asylum in a couple places, usually when he had just been interacting with them alive a short time earlier. Origins is the one that stands out for this because of the game's tendency to treat dead bodies like furniture in several of the interior spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Notes:

There are signs something was cut involving the airship turrets. Bruce's narrative to himself during the turret-firing cutscene contradicts Alfred's earlier comment about turret controls.

Alex Sartorius, from the Lab Rats story we unlocked, is the alter-ego of Doctor Phosphorous, a fairly obscure Batman villain.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 26, 2016

• Locked thread