Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Maybe the driver survived the impact to the truck and was just knocked unconscious (and bleeding out)? Of course he would've died when he was then shoved out of the truck... but that technically wasn't Batman's fault.

It's a shame this game was such a technical train wreck on the PC, it actually looks like the most interesting of the series. I always kinda liked the comic book/Val Kilmer-era movie inspired look Gotham has to the realistic 'nope, Gotham is New York' version in the new movies. Looks like a fun place to explore, shame I won't be able to do it myself but I am looking forward to seeing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's just like Deus Ex, where you could deal with people using a non-lethal weapon then chuck their unconscious body face down in the water or into a room full of poison gas and all was still fine.

I mean, they were alive when you neutralized them, so everything else doesn't count.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It has been a while since I last played the original, but I don't recall Paul having an issue with me tazing or tranquilizing the NSF then throwing everyone into the Upper Bay. He does get angry if you lure one of the bots away the dock and have it start rampaging across the island though or if you let Gunther start executing everyone you missed on your way in.

But, switching back to Batman for a moment, it's almost more sadistic that he doesn't finish people off. Think of the quality of live all these criminals must now have after you've shattered most of their limbs; the constant pain and limping they'll have to live with and how many of them have suffered irreversible brain damage. That's probably also a considerable burden on Gotham's social services since they now need to support all these crippled people as they recover and can no longer properly care for themselves. I doubt many of them had health insurance.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mightypeon posted:

Wait, you get to drive vehicles, which are very easy to mishandle and kill people, without making some kind of exam/certification in some party of the USA?

Costs in Germany for a driving licences are generally between 1K and 2K Euro, sometimes less.

Most jurisdictions in Canada and the US have graduated licensing systems - in Ontario, driving lessons are optional but can get you a slight discount on your car insurance (which is mandatory for any road worthy vehicle). You still need to pass a test to get your license but you need to work up from whatever a learners permit is referred to, to your full license. Depending on the type of vehicle, the license requirements are different.

It is also very normal for parents to teach their kids to drive here as when you're learning you need to have a fully licensed driver with you. I don't think schools around here teach people to drive any more, either.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why was the cop giving the speech at the beginning of the video telling everyone there they had the chance to evacuate but didn't? Isn't their job to uphold the law, arrest people who are breaking it and protect civilians? Yeah, they're doing a poo poo job of it but maybe if they stuck around long enough to do some good the city wouldn't have fallen apart as fast as it did.

"Hey guys, thanks for staying to do your job and not running off like a coward like the rest. Good on ya!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, it worked for Baltar and Caprica Six in BSG so why wouldn't it work for the Batman?

Battling your demons and all that. Helps build character (literally!).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

dscruffy1 posted:

Personally I still think Batman would help Ra's, but I wish it had ended differently.

I realize this has been discussed at length, and I'm not Certified DC Comic Universe Canon Expert, but I think Batman uses technicalities all the time in his line of work to get around the no killing rule. I know in the Nolan reboot movies he loves going with the "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't to save you" line of thinking. No better example of this than in the first movie, which has him kill Ra's as he just flies off as both Ra's and the train he is on flies off the tracks and explodes in a parking garage. The older movies also have examples of him just standing by as people get brutally killed.

I think in this case he would've realized that not letting him be resurrected and then holding Nyssa to her promise to piss off would be the decision he made... unless there's some other narrative you're showing off here. Though it sounds like from Alfred's debrief that both factions are now gone, either way.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was looking for information on another game when I happened across some click-bait article that was oddly relevant: 11 Moments That Batman Became a Murderer.

Seems like in his wild younger days he was a psychotic killer but now only occasionally dabbles in cold blooded murder when it can conveniently be attributed to alternate universes where it doesn't count. Still doesn't explain why he thinks he has the moral high-ground because killing is off the table but literally everything else goes.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I never read any of the comics and don't really pay too close attention the the DC Universe so I'm not sure how accurate anything in the article actually is, I just happened to notice it.

That said, when I was a kid I used to watch the 60's era Batman show when it was on and I don't recall him being particularly violent or killing anyone. Yeah he punched people out in fights but he didn't beat them to within an inch of their lives and them leave them for dead in the middle of the street. I also don't remember him torturing people for information or acting like a mopey, lost soul. When I was ~5-8 the Tim Burton series of movies came out and while they were pretty drat dark I don't remember Batman being as violent as he is now or killing anyone.

It seems Batman's penchant for ultraviolence is recent but I guess the game would get pretty tiresome if you ran up to some dudes and colourful POW! and ZAP! Intertitle cards flashed on the screen every few seconds.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tim Burton's Batman killed quite a number of people.

drat, it's been a good 20 years since I last saw some of those; guess they were more violent than I remembered. But a number of those were arguably a "I'm not going to kill you but I don't have to save you, either" situations. And I'm sure the guy who was lit on fire had a good chance of surviving 3rd degree burns to 98% of this body if he stop-drop-and-rolled then got immediate medical attention after that scene.

Jack Nicholson Joker is still as loving creepy as I remember though. Heath Ledger was a great character actor but crazed homeless guy isn't quite as menacing as the actual psychopath Nicholson portrayed. And also that smile.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like when the batmobile dropped explosives out of its wheels and firebombed an entire factory filled with goons?

No that's just straight up killing everyone but most movies to come out of the 80s were pretty violent in retrospect. But when you look at things like the car crash in Forever (where the henchmen could've just stopped if they were paying attention) or the monastery explosion in Returns (where people had ample time to run away after the initial blast) you could've cut his kill count nearly in half.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm going to be perfectly honest and say I have no idea who the main villain is for this game; I think with the Joker dead it really threw the writers into a loop and so now the game is about Batman hallucinating about the Joker while he stumbles around finding people to beat to death. The Arkham Knight sounds like a whiny bitch and I really don't care who he is (my bet is spurned admirer or something equally lame) and the Scarecrow is such a B-list, bordering on C-list, villain I can't really bring myself to care about him either. With almost a century of comics you'd think the devs could've found someone more interesting to dredge up.

I'm sure the game ends with both of them being savagely beaten before being arrested for the umpteenth time anyway so who gives a poo poo. Really the only reason I keep watching is because Gotham itself looks nice and dscruffy manages to keep up with an interesting narration.

Glad to see shoulder pads making a come back.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Does the Batmobile's auto cannon fire beanbag rounds now or something? Or have we just given up on the non-lethal pretense by this point and are firing 25mm rounds at people point blank? I guess it's probably a faster death than the beatings, electrocutions, maulings and heart attacks we've been meting out so far.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Gotham is an analog to NYC. Metropolis is Washington, DC.
I've always found it to be a cross between NYC and Chicago, both of which were rife with organized crime and corruption through the early 1900's.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

rotinaj posted:

Yes, when it was first introduced, the Batmobile said that it will autoswitch between lethal and nonlethal stuff depending on what it's aiming at.

That's convenient. I must have forgotten after all this time.

Are we sure it's not Mr. Fox just bullshitting Batman because he doesn't really care and can't be bothered coming up with another solution though?

"Yes Mr. Wayne, the weapon has the latest in magical Wayne-tech technology that lets it automatically differentiate between a person and something else while switching between ammo types instantaneously. No, the geyser of blood you're seeing is a perfectly normal and non-lethal side effect. Yes, it works perfectly well in conjunction with the electrical field the gently zaps and moves pedestrians out of harms way, it's totally capable of allowing people to survive being slammed into by a 5 ton armoured car going 70mph. Have a good night Mr. Wayne."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

He was probably just weirded out that Batman was waiting for him in his bedroom with the lights out.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Holy Christ what a train wreck this has turned into; let me guess, after that last little poo poo show in Batman's personal concentration camp do we now unmask Arkham Knight only to find Bruce Wayne staring back at us? Like some after school special that tries too hard?

I can't wait until the finale that has Batman waking up back in Kansas.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crigit posted:

"It was all a dream" Is never, ever less stupid than the alternative.

I cannot see the devs ripping off The Wizard of Oz to be any worse than what we're dealing with already. Half the stupid plot poo poo in this game is already being blamed on the McGuffin Gas so it may as well be him dreaming.

It was becoming increasingly obvious that Arkham Knight was someone Batman had spurned and since dead-Robin is suddenly being name dropped I'm becoming more and more convinced it's him. Seriously, 'guy-I-thought-was-dead-but-really-wasn't-and-now-blames-me-for-leaving-them-for-dead' is as cliche as anything else we've seen so far.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

RareAcumen posted:

Lol if you think they're gonna kill anyone of the psychos that've been around for more than three decades just because they're doing some serious terrorist-level crime.

The writers and IP owners can't shoot any of their meal tickets. I mean, look at what happened to the joker; after killing him they turned around and made an entire game that revolves around the guy...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Octatonic posted:

I hate to fall into this trap, but it seems increasingly unlikely to me that anything in the game since That Barbara Scene has actually happened as the game presents us.

It would be nice of the remaining villains would actually pose a threat to us instead of just yelling menacingly at you from the city wide PA system Gotham had installed at some point. This game obviously didn't win any awards for it's writing or character development but seriously this is just getting ridiculous.

At this point I gotta think that every time Batman hears another spiel or comes up against another group of henchmen he just sighs, rolls his eyes and mechanically beats everyone into a coma; just going through the motions, he's not even enjoying it any more. He isn't even phased when people die - yep, another dead body, great. Moving on...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

dscruffy1 posted:

If you're still wondering where we are as compared to GAME COMPLETION, I'd say we're...maybe 7 videos out from the end of the main story. I still have a lot of Riddler stuff and whatever else to do, mind you, but straight story completion I haven't recorded just yet...BUT I'M REALLY CLOSE.

You know... you could just not finish the story. I mean everything else about this game seems pretty good; the city is visually interesting, there's plenty of side missions as well as other odds and ends to do. But when you switch back to the main story after focusing on a few of these things it just reminds everyone how mind numbing the whole exercise has become. The Riddler, who doesn't seem to have anything to do with Scarecrow and has taken it upon himself to gently caress with Batman and his friends, is the only one who's actually capable of posing a threat to us. And all the other villains were at least trying to accomplish something

We'll assume that after the Cloudburst fiasco Arkham Knight just had enough and retreated while yelling "I'll get you nest time Gadget Batman, NEXT TIME!".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh, right, Commissioner Gordon is still around... welcome back Jim! I hope your time in plot stasis was pleasant.

Does firing your electricity gun or beating the militia commander to within an inch of his life cause him to explode? Have these games ever given you the chance to actually kill someone and cause a game over (those 4 people in the water were just stunned, don't be such a cynic!)? That dial on his chest, that Batman immediately knows how to use, reminds me of the dial from a board game I used to play as a kid called 'Perfection'.

Felinoid posted:

That actually happened in one of the Batman movies, and it just resulted in someone else saying he was Batman, while the real Batman watched over him to clobber the villain when they came for him. :geno:
The hostages were still in Gotham though, and Joker decided that knowing who Batman was would be boring and instead decided to blow up hospitals until the guy threatening to unmask Batman was killed instead... and then there were a bunch of Batman imitators who also got themselves killed.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I may have missed one of the game's highly nuanced plot points in that last video but am I correct in assuming that it was dead-Robin who was tracking us and t-boned the truck we were in? But then why did whoever took the trouble to try and break us out leave us to be recaptured in another, identical truck while we went through our symbolic internal struggle? Was it so he could show up later and perform his two bitchin' trick shots before taking off again?

Too bad he didn't show up a little sooner to save Tim from being gut shot, kinda a dick move there dead-Robin.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, okay, I wasn't sure where one dream sequence ended and the other began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Every time you throw a guy from the rooftop, Alfred calls you on your gauntlet-phone and says something to the effect of "Master Bruce, it was surely a wonderful idea to have every paved surface of Gotham lined with automatic airbags! Now, no matter how high up people fall from, they never die! It's GENIUS!"

Nah - the Batwing just comes and picks them up!

• Locked thread