Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I tend to paint a grim picture of Poland. Obviously there is a difference between countryside and big cities. Kraków even has a vibrant Jewish community by post war Poland standards. It's the only city in Poland where I've seen Hasidic Jews on the streets. Apart from that there are still Jewish pilgrimages to graves of famous Rebbes. But... that's about it.

Leżajsk, too. And Lublin.

A number of Jewish tourists here in Białystok, too. It certainly is a city of racist shitheads, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Poland is a complete shithole and lately not a day goes by when I'm not deeply ashamed of my country

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

As much as I like making GBS threads on neolibs 5 more years of Duda gives Kaczyński free reign basically. That's the main issue here.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Lots of old regdates itt not understanding why countries should not invade other countries.

Also, I live in Eastern Poland about 80 miles from Belarus and want to give a heartful gently caress you to all who think that Russia is even a tiny bit justified when all of this is happening. Have lots of friends on Ukraine, I worry about them daily. I thought SA was better than this.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 21, 2022

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lollontee posted:

that is not why it's good that germany is interfering with attempts to start yet another imperial war against russia

I really wish when the attack on Ukraine starts you'd be in Kyiv, to experience it firsthand and chronicle the imperial crimes against Russia.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lollontee posted:

why would you wish something like that? seems like a place i could get killed for being a communist in

shut the gently caress up you complete moron

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TipTow posted:

That's right! I understand why, for example, the Baltic states would've wanted to join NATO. But surely it's obvious to see see how three states on Russia's border joining a military alliance with the United States would be seen as threatening to Russia?

No. Russia could also just gently caress off from these three states entirely and everything would be just fine. It's literally about keeping their sphere of influence. The only one threatening for the last few decades (including invading countries, shooting down civilian airplanes, etc.) was Russia.

e: also

Xarn posted:

As someone living in EE, please gently caress off and ideally also die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 21, 2022

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TipTow posted:

Some common ground, this is kinda central to my "Russia feeling threatened by NATO" position.

And I appreciate your reasoned discussion with me steinrokkan, as opposed to the two! posters who wish death on me for trying to discuss a pretty complicated situation.

*looks at September 1939*
'hmmm, yes, well Hitler and Stalin were feeling threatened by Poland, complex stuff, a real conundrum I say...'

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TipTow posted:

I'm probably not articulating myself well, which I know I struggle with. I agree 100% that Russian delusions are a cause of this conflict. But why is Putin delusional? His irredentist streak, again, didn't start until NATO's eastward expansion. In fact, most of the rhetoric coming out of the Kremlin during the '90s and early aughts was fairly pro-Western; Russia was looking to take part in the now (then?)-dominant neoliberal world order.

So you're advocating for looking at all of this as a very complex issue yet you don't recognise the fact that internal Russian politics moved towards extreme authoritarianism when Putin took over? A number of posters itt told you so and you didn't acknowledge any of it.

e: oh wait, right, you're probably going to say that the said move was caused by the West

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 21, 2022

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lollontee posted:

there is no demand to adopt your point of view here i think, except for the unstated pressure implied

Right, so this is probably the point at which you should start discussing the message and not the medium. Because otherwise you post nothing but white noise.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

This is the most likely scenario. They'll just install another Yanukovych.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

It's also culturally out of the question for Germany to defend itself or even meaningfully contribute to its own defense. Defending third countries like Ukraine is even less culturally palatable, particularly when they're in the rightful Russian "sphere of influence".

In addition to the marine guy, other politicians (Ex-chancellor Schröder, Sigmar Gabriel and Klaus von Dohnanyi are some that I know about) have also come out on the side of Russia after being in government. I think this runs deep.

Online newspaper reader comments about the articles covering that marine guy and his "As a Catholic, I think we should join with our brethren in Russia and fight China" rhetoric are about 70-80% in favor across the board from the Zeit (somewhat leftist paper) to the Welt (somewhat rightist paper). His opinion is seen as the pure wisdom of an elder statesman.

Nordstream 2 is similarly untouchable as a great national achievement of Germany, gently caress what other EU countries say.

Considering all that and judging it by its actions, I'm wondering what I would think of Germany as the US president or Ukraine. It's the kind of friend that keeps going on about how much it values your friendship, but whenever you need to call on it, it's unable to make time, doesn't help you and complains publicly about your nerve to ask.

After finishing his term Schröder got hired by a Russian gas company iirc

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

Long history of being in the middle of Europe and quite often being the middle of Europe. There have always been a lot of both left-wing and conservative folks in Germany who see Russia as more of a potential ally instead of a threat.

Yeah, poo poo like that along with the gas shenanigans is why the anti-EU rhetoric of 'look how they don't care about anyone east of their border' gets so much traction here in Poland. Also because my country is so dumb, but that's another story.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

szary posted:

Sauce on a schabowy? What is this heresy!?

Yeah, some places here in Podlasie serve it with mushroom gravy. It doesn't work.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Honest question: why are so many people defending/excusing Russia itt American? Did Trump broke so many brains there?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TipTow posted:

Honest question: why are so many people interpreting discussions of antecedents to the current crisis as defending/excusing Russia?

Look, I know NATO despite all intentions is not really a saintly group of nations unified in search of world peace but here we have one country threatening to conquer another country. Also, they already invaded part of it few years back. No one threatened Russia, there would not be any conflict if not for Russia. It's as clear cut as a modern war could get. Going 'well ackshually' on the subject will be met with jeers.

QuoProQuid posted:

there's a tendency among some in the american left to see everything in campist terms, wherein the world is divided between the imperialists (US, NATO, ANZUS, etc) and the anti-imperialists (Russia, China, Syria, Venezuela, Iran). opposing american imperialism means necessarily supporting the latter group and defending/denying its exploitative practices.

this isn't a new phenomenon. it dates back to the cold war.

I see. This makes sense. It says way more about Americans and their feelings towards their own country than the situation here, tho.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Pointing out how Russia views the situation is not the same thing as endorsing or agreeing with that viewpoint. We should be able to have discussions about how another actor views a situation decoupled from whether that view is good or bad, but alas some people just aren't capable of that.

https://unherd.com/2020/02/eugenics-is-possible-is-not-the-same-as-eugenics-is-good/

Oh, the Joe Rogan way.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Poland is Building The Wall and destroying pristine old-growth forest in the process https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/polish-belarusian-border-wall-environmental-disaster

but hey maybe they'll obey EU law and not do that

My post from 2019:

Terminally Bored posted:

Poland is a complete shithole and lately not a day goes by when I'm not deeply ashamed of my country

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Russia is leading 2-1 atm. Futsal (indoor 5v5 version of soccer) is really big in EE.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

lol, our gov decided to blow their pegasus tokens on SEVEN THOUSANDS attack attempts on 500 devices belonging to the Supreme Audit Office employees, y'know the one entity whose stated goal is to control gov overreach.

I'd Like to See Ol Kaczynski Wriggle His Way Out of THIS Jam!

Ah, well...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is Polish Bernie Sanders, if we omit a few details.

Nah, I wish he was like Sanders. Tusk is very centre-left.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was not characterising Tusk’s politics there, only the extent of hatred and the kind of accusations he earns from domestic right-wingers.

Oh, ok. In that case Tusk is the boogeyman for the Polish right, pretty much the only person who Kaczynski fears just because he was so successful before coming back to Poland. Tusk left his position as PM in 2014 to become the president of the European Council which was a pretty big deal at the time.

PO is still laughably incompetent policy-wise (think modern Labour post Corbyn, just empty performative poo poo) and their only redeeming quality is that they weren't actively dismantling the democratic system from inside out. Not that it worked that well or fair to begin with.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For those of us that aren't well versed in recent Polish politics, what's a quick summary of that?

Few pages back but this is the perfect encapsulation of Polish politics ca. 2022:

Poll: More than half of Poles don't trust either the ruling party or the opposition.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I wonder what Russians (the general population) think of all this. Are they for invasion? Is Putin gaining popularity by threatening imminent bloodshed?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

So if Russia is invading, no matter how evil you think it is, does it change anyone's mind about whether the West/Ukraine should have offered any concessions to try to head it off? Even if you think the moral responsibility lies entirely with Russia, isn't there still value in trying to save lives?

You should personally go to Ukraine and ask some of its denizens why wouldn't they just peacefully surrender instead of trying to oppose Russia.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Personally, I think what's going on in a lot of people's minds is 'I don't think the West/Ukraine should have had to make any concessions' -> 'therefore they wouldn't have done any good anyway.'

Again - ad infinitum apparently - what concessions? Which of his demands were reasonable?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Cognitive dissonance is obviously a real phenomenon, and that's what I think is happening. I'm not going to belabor the point, but I think that would be a natural progression. Deciding an opponent is irrational and can't be reasoned or bargained with in any way is obviously a common thing to do, but I think there are plenty of examples of it leading to dramatically worse outcomes than negotiation.

You are a person who in 1939 would be explaining to me that Poland should have just handed Danzig over to Germany.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Yes, this is exactly the phenomenon I'm talking about, in which every US adversary through the years is considered to be literally Hitler just to make clear to everyone that nothing short of their destruction will leave the world safe for freedom and democracy.

I don't give a flying gently caress about the US adversaries. I live a hundred kilometres from Ukraine, have lots of friends there and absolutely understand that they are willing to fight for their country, even if that fight would be one-sided. And yes, Putin is a danger to freedom and democracy in Eastern Europe. Maybe not for some US rando who doesn't like their own countries imperialistic past and present, but yes - Russia is a threat to EE.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

All we're asking for is Putin to not invade his neighbors.

:emptyquote:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I don't know about you, but I certainly have regrets for supporting policies that have led to harm in the past, regardless of whether or not my support materially affected the outcome. Maybe it's a happier life not to worry about such things, so like I said, I guess I'm glad everyone will have a clean conscience. I just hope if the outcome is bad people will reconsider their position in the future.

Come to think of it, Russia should consider retaking Alaska.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Truga posted:

no, the westerners came along and made their situation explicitly worse in every way

Oh yeah, about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Imagine calling Ukraine a 'lil country'. Just lol.