Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the SC primary?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Willie Wilson
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Sanders left SC this morning to Texas. Thought it was a good photo.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/703581685393264640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Reports say low turnout in all of SC. Even Charleston.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Turnout high in Columbia, good for Sanders if its from university people.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Logikv9 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if all the media about how SC is in the tank for Hillary depressed her turnout, leading to a smaller margin of victory that will be parroted around by the Bernie campaign :ohdear:

His campaign supporters were concerned about this in NH and they told each other that the media was making up his massive lead to depress his turnout :laffo:

Could be a negative effect. But a lot of early voting took place where Clinton will have a huge lead, and there is high turnout in low population heavy Clinton areas.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

babypolis posted:

joe is very sassy these days. is trumpism finally getting to him?

Nah, Joementum's tolerance of idiots has always been low.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Looking really good for Clinton except 1 county.

Related but not source: http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-02-27/south-carolina-democratic-primary-sets-table-for-super-tuesday

quote:

South Carolina election officials are reporting generally light turnout for Saturday's Democratic presidential primary, which should favor Hillary Clinton in her pursuit of a dominating win over Bernie Sanders in the fourth round of nominating contests.
There may be a few areas where voters are showing up in larger numbers, but anecdotal reports indicated low turnout throughout the state by midday, said Chris Whitmire, a spokesman for the South Carolina State Election Commission in Columbia.
“She’s got the advantage of the folks who probably will vote,” said Richard Harpootlian, a Sanders supporter and former South Carolina Democratic Party chairman. “It depends on whether Bernie Sanders can generate new participation by younger voters.”

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Early voting, 53k 76% black.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MxkLyPnsTOowssBvxncaMnb7V8CYyma-kWeRh5c-O6I/edit#gid=1672002659

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

fknlo posted:

Pretty sure Bernie is going to win since Clinton said the word "super predator" one time and the blacks are going to rise up against her as she now has a race problem or something according to reddit. :lol:

https://twitter.com/ABCLiz/status/703654658687033345

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

The real turnout is going to come when the main shift ends and the union halls fill up. Those are Bernie's people.

In the big cities mostly? CNN just flipped and said Columbia has very low turnout.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

It's South Carolina. There are no union halls.

I was gonna say, I go to Hilton Head a few times a year (seapines) and it doesn't seem like that kind of state.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Apparently Columbia turnout is insanely low. Gotta wonder how much of the story out of today will be about the turnout.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Concerned Citizen posted:

Has anyone seen if there are throngs of young and first time voters coming to the polls for Bernie Sanders yet?

Columbia is indicating a big firm no on that. (university of south carolina)

Schnorkles posted:

Charleston turnout looks good apparently, and some places are on par w/ 2008 according to charleston county board of elections director I guess.

Hard to tell if this benefits Clinton or Sanders though- Clinton campaign put huge focus in Charleston.

A lot of smaller counties are reporting similar to 2008 turnout too.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

oystertoadfish posted:

since most of the delegates are handed out to the congressional district winners, i wonder what the spread between the gerrymandered district with the concentrated black population and the other ones will be

the gerrymander diluted non-trump votes in a sea of rural trump supporters in the republican primary - a more reasonable charleston county-based seat might've given rubio 3 delegates since it was the only county he won, and he came fairly close in heavily gerrymandered richland county (columbia) too

SC-01 is the gerrymandered charleston county district (it's got hilton head too) which i believe has the black areas like north charleston cut out of it so considering vague reports of possible high turnout in charleston maybe bernie could win that. i wonder if we'd see him win any of the other whiter districts?

Sanders won't win a district. At this point its looking like he may not win a county but we'll see. Everything I'm seeing shows Clinton outperforming everywhere. I am wrong a lot though.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pinterest Mom posted:

55% in 2008.

With a 76% black absentee vote on top of that, that is one black af electorate.

Crazy... I think we're probably going to see +30 or higher for Clinton.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/703704190078590976

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

60% female voters in addition to 60% african american.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I really hope the news is about this poo poo because these are some surprising numbers, and if they represent a trend super tuesday is gonna be bonkers.

From that ABC link: Youth vote down to 10-11%

quote:

Voters under 30, an overwhelmingly strong group for Sanders in earlier contests, account for slightly more than one in 10 South Carolina voters in preliminary exit poll results. That could end up as a new low this cycle; under-30s accounted for 18 or 19 percent in the three previous states, with more than eight in 10 voting for Sanders.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

oystertoadfish posted:

if this low youth turnout story persists as we get more data, i wonder how much of that's because of staying home and how much is from choosing to vote in the gop primary

I suspect as more exit poll data comes in these numbers will move back towards normal but who knows.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

In 2008, the South Carolina 18-29 demographic was 14%. So it's down slightly.

IF the exit polls are accurate (they probably aren't) then it's possible Clinton approaches a 40% margin.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Silver thinking near 40% is a possibility:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/703721435353710592

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Once again, Hillary's biggest weakness is the dunderheads she's surrounded by.

https://twitter.com/ABCLiz/status/703680226585280512

Something weird happened with that. They've never done that and they let them watch her disembark.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does this mean?

Clinton has a history of surrounding herself with idiots (loyalists over best qualified) in 08. She's been a lot better about it in this election though.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Wow... that is absolutely insane.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

The AP does. Here's their page for the GOP primary. I can't find the Democratic one. They only distribute this to news network subscribers, so you have to guess the URL.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2016/by_cd/SC_GOP_0220_VD.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS

Anyway, Hillary's going to win every CD.

And probably every county if the exit polls are accurate.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Kasie Hunt making a good point here about Bernie's fundraising momentum being strong, but their burn rate is also important and we don't know what that is right now.

I'm mostly interesting in whether he's part of the convention.

His burn rate is high, there was a good article on it the other day. He spent a lot in NH, NV and SC to "get in the game". Spent like $34m in Jan and raised $20m. You can see it in how low is super tuesday spending is.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
MSNBC just asked if Clinton made a mistake running up the score in SC.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Goetta posted:

His Super Tuesday actions are based on him losing the black vote 80-20 this isnt multidimensional chess

He's not going to stave off his delegate bleeding in the south by winning CO or MN by 5 more points. Its a huge mistake in my opinion.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

triple sulk posted:

Haha she's already basically saying it's over. I love you Hilldog

"I want to congratulate Senator Sanders for running a great race. And tomorrow this campaign goes national,"

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
edit: n/m

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

What the hell happened in SC? Yeah Clinton was always going to win there but even last week all the polls had +23 to +28.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Best speech by Clinton so far this year, and I've seen a lot of em.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Beforehand posted:

I think it will be interesting too to see how Obama plays a role - he sounds very like he's going to be a very active campaigner as the race comes down to it, and I think that will be a big factor when he starts spinning his campaign mode near the end of the fight.

I think Obama will be campaigning heavily for senate candidates too.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Wow, these guys seem split. Hopefully they make up their minds soon.

Check out Pickens county in the north. That was supposed to be a sure win for Sanders. Went 11% for Clinton.

It'll be interesting to read about this in the next few days to see what happened.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Supposedly Sanders' plane doesn't have internet and they just learned of the margin when they landed. Related:

https://twitter.com/ABCLiz/status/703756658472828928

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Supposedly Sanders' campaign plane had a hard landing in MN (literally).

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Last I saw it was leaking from OK advertising.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

With margins like these, Bernie will be toast on Tuesday in the delegate math.

Jake Tapper just said on CNN that it is likely that Sanders will win the majority of states on super tuesday. This is the 2nd dumbest thing I've heard on cable news tonight.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Luckyellow posted:

It's really weird and very concerning that this is the fourth state where the Dem turnout is much lower than the Republican's turnout for the primary.

1) GOP State
2) Uncompetitive primary

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Zoran posted:

I'm guessing the dumbest was saying Hillary was wrong to run up the score?

Yup.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Sanders speaking right now and MSNBC is airing a Trump documentary.

Interesting so much talk about the GOP and non about Clinton so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

GrizzlyCow posted:

Talking about Donald Trump is a ratings winner. Hillary crushing Sanders depresses ratings since that hurts the horse race/underdog narrative, a ratings winner. Basically, HRC is boring; Sanders is exciting; and Trump even more so.

I meant in Sanders speech. He typically attacks her a lot.

• Locked thread