Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Consequences are fine, plenty of people die in The Avengers. The grimness of Man of Steel is that Superman doesn't really enjoy his job of fighting aliens.

That was great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Michael Jackson used to pay Hollywood special effects wizard Michael Westmore to create elaborate disguises for him but then again MJ was pretty damned crazy

Michael Jackson also got mobbed everywhere he went because he's Michael Jackson.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Seriously, just read the quotes of this article and not a single sentence otherwise and he has been saying the exact same (correct) thing the entire time.

I did the same thing and yeah he's entirely consistent and right.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Do you people actually watch movies or just shove your head up your rear end and listen to the muffled dialog?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That might have been the best scene in the movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman 1989 straight up killed a whole bunch of the Joker's goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPudZd3oI4
They also raceflipped Harvey Dent and hardly anyone gave a poo poo, they were too busy writing petitions trying to get Tim Burton taken off the project for having cast Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne. :v:
(Keaton's justification was "Well he looks like the kind of person who'd need to dress up as a bat in order to intimidate criminals.")

Who on earth was gonna be upset by Billy Dee Williams though?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The best superhero movie with telepaths is Scanners.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The last few action scenes drag. They aren't quite good enough to be action scenes, but aren't quite funny enough to be comedy scenes. It's still good, but not nearly as densely packed as the rest of the movie.

I disagree. The model town/Lethal Weapon/kaiju scene was fantastic.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I think its kinda funny that Valerian is accused of plagiarism considering how many people (including Luc Besson) that has stolen ideas and designs from that comic.

That doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Alternatively who gives a poo poo?

God forbid we notice a thing that is happening.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alhazred posted:

It kinda does, the costumes in the movie isn't even that different from the comics: http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-Comic-Book-Luc-Besson.jpg

Those don't look anything like the promo photos besides being a type of clothing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Beyond noticing, what's the point? Why should anyone care that the costumes in the movie look like Mass Effect outfits?

You seem greatly invested in this. I just think it's slightly amusing that particular costume and the movie title looks so much like Mass Effect. Taking notice of it is the point.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah I'm super invested, that's why the extent of my posts has been "who cares" and "why should I care", I'm clearly frothing over it.

Since nobody is imploring you to care about it, yeah it seems weird.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Movies around that time had some really loving great practical effects, for whatever reason. It was right after Jurassic Park, so the amount of advancement in technology was still huge (before people stopped caring and CGI looked better), and a lot of bigger budget movies used at least some CGI, and the CGI at that time was really pretty garbage. Mortal Kombat is the same way; that Goro animatronic is super dope.

That's funny because when I saw it in theaters I thought Goro looked really bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've seen Predator, Gojira and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles an absurd amount over the years. As fine a movie triplet as you'll ever see.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Tom Hardy's vocal performance may be my favorite thing about that movie, and I like it in general.

I'd have liked it more if I could understand half of what he was saying.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Bourne movies and other, shitter movies beat the shaky cam dead horse too much and Begins kept on that path.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

You cannot be serious.

It's boring, is shot poorly in basically every conceivable way and I'm not concerned enough about the well being of cars to care about anything that happens. It's better than AoU but it is still bad. There are tons of good action movies I can watch the Avengers over something like Dredd or Fury Road?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

We're talking about a movie that made over a billion dollars worldwide, enjoyed by 92% of critics (82% of top critics) and 91% of audiences, has a 4.6 out of 5 with over 10,000 reviews on Amazon, and an 8.1 out of 10 with nearly 100,000 ratings on IMDb, so when someone says the movie is "bad", the thought does cross my mind, yes. At the very least I imagine people who think 'The Avengers' is bad recognize and acknowledge that they're in the extreme minority, right?

Like I'm not saying that disliking 'The Avengers' is impossible or that people aren't allowed to dislike it (heaven knows I've got some questionable cinematic likes/dislikes), but it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit. At the very least I'd be interesting in talking about why someone feels that way, rather than dropping a one-sentence post and peaceing-out.

Case in point....

I'm not saying there aren't better action movies (there are a shitload), but I definitely disagree with it being boring or shot poorly. Maybe it's because I haven't had cable or really watched TV for over a decade so I can't say "it looks like a TV show!" like I've seen other people do, because I honestly don't have a wide enough frame of reference about modern television to make that statement.
The Avengers is easily my #3 Marvel movie to date, behind Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier. Although I go back and forth on whether Ant-Man and/or Iron Man 3 bump The Avengers out of the #3 spot.

There are many tv shows that have much better cinematography than Avengers.

It isn't that there are better action movies than the Avengers it is that the Avengers is a poor action movie. The action sequences are flat and there are no stakes nor consequences (unless you're a car).

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I guess I just disagree then? The movie shows a literal interdimensional invasion ripping Manhattan a new rear end in a top hat, while a half dozen heroes do whatever they can to stop the destruction. The action is entertaining as heck, does a good job of showcasing the different characters' strengths and weaknesses (and their teamwork), and even manages to make the "non-powered" characters like Hawkeye or Black Widow feel like they're contributing to the action in meaningful, visually interesting ways.

Somehow New York, one of the most densely populated places in the country, is completely devoid of people in minutes so that takes all the tension and stakes out of it. The action is terrible and makes no sense. The camera is not framed on anything interesting (cars again), the shots do not flow into each other with anything resembling narrative structure.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

It's a lighthearted PG-13 comic book movie, what were you expecting? Bodies in the street, moaning as they're crushed by rubble?

I had no problem following the action from one shot to the next. Like I'm really trying to have a constructive conversation but I'm really not sure what else I can say other than "I disagree, I have the polar opposite opinion to everything you're saying".
I don't have a functional bluray drive so it's not like I can snap screenshots or clips; I mean I guess I could grab some youtube links or something. I just had no problem following the action, understanding what was going on, and being interested by it.

Then again I also had no problem following the action in the Transformers movies and that gets routinely criticized for being incomprehensible CGI nonsense (and I can understand that). I guess different people have different thresholds for that kind of thing?

Yeah, Man of Steel and many other PG-13 movies managed to do it just fine.

The composition is bad. You can follow the action in each individual scene it is just bland and has that weird flat lighting that makes it even more uninteresting. The scenes don't flow together well to tell a story. We're supposed to believe the Avengers are being overwhelmed but there is nothing shown to convey that. I guess you missed all the movie-fight posts that showed all of this.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Couple that with a mixed critical reception, they have to be wondering why they gave the keys to two of the most popular characters in fiction to Synder. We're likely to hear nothing about it in public though for a while.

Because his movies make money and are good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If BvS had the same kind of ad money as Man of Steel then it is doing just fine.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I remember there were toys where you could switch out their mutated arms and legs for regular, turtle legs and a little tail. Those things were ugly.

Edit: haha 3 posts in a row.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fassbender was the best part of 300 and had the best laconic lines.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Electromax posted:

Once everyone's favorite three headed dragon king has made an appearance, nobody will give a poo poo about a large monkey.

King Kong is an ape you cretin.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
As long as this version of Kong also gets drunk off of berry juice I'm fine with it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

You don't think "What he has always been is just a person who keeps on fighting, against anything and anyone" is a character flaw?

I don't think that is an accurate description of him, so no.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I hate when they have a dude use an arm bar in a fight scene. It's so loving stupid. If you were in a fight for your life there's a really easy solution to breaking that.

https://youtu.be/jqRPaucl8r4?t=3m6s

Are you trolling, joking or just really dumb?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm joking dude. Calm thy tits.

I mean it was gonna be funny no matter what but I've seen and heard much worse and couldn't tell.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I don't want to start anything...but come on. Race is a stupid way to view things but if Africans have a set of similar characteristics, its something that is definitely shared by ancient Egyptians.

Egyptians typically weren't black. There were a bunch of different races in Africa back then. The Nubians to the south were black Africans but Egyptians were closer to Mesopotamians in their features.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Darko posted:

30 Days of Night was okay, the problem is that it could have been GREAT.

The bulk of the story of isolation and a town that is gradually being picked off by predators is the middle section; as people are hiding and getting more and more desperate and other, hiding neighbors are killed, increasing their fear. That is probably the best use of the material.

The movie kind of glosses over this really quickly, focusing more on the initial attack and the climax. If it was weighted and paced to be a more oppressive, slow type of horror, it could have been fantastic. It was really a missed opportunity.

Yeah most horror movies would be better if they were more like The Thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's funny when people point to how much money a film made to determine how good or bad it is. Dredd is loving fantastic and it made poo poo. I didn't even know it had come out until about a year later and it may be my favorite action movie of the 2010s.

A little more on topic: I vastly prefer Snyder's style of filmmaking to everything Marvel Studios has put out. He makes pretty movies with great compositions and I'd rather watch that and films like Godzilla '14 than Winter Soldier or the Avengers.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 30, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Sucker Punch was two hours of telling the people the trailer appealed to that they're kind of terrible. It's awesome.

I feel like 300 was doing the same thing but was more subtle and it clicked with me a lot more.

Dredd did the same thing. I will not stop talking about how much Dredd owns, you can't make me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What this reveals is that the actual profitability is irrelevant, as you are concerned that Superman is not being presented with enough offerings and sacrifices.

Literal worship of the Superman character.

You are appealing to my Mexica heart, I hope you know this. Are there any more references/allusions to Superman being aligned and/or related to the sun in BvS like in MoS? I really liked those parts.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This movie that made $850 million and probably made back most of its production cost in advertising is a failure because people on the internet desperately want it to be.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Alternatively, I hope he really takes the deliberate blandness of Aquaman's "out-takes from a James Cameron IMAX doc" cameo in Batman v Superman to heart to craft something basically like The Abyss, but from the perspective of the sea-alien.

For real, they should go full The Day the Earth Stood Still with the climax, too.

edit: If he basically goes about making it like one of his recent ghost movies, he'll do a much better job than if he tries to, like, go all Fast & Furious logic with the script. Nobody buys the silver age image of the sea as just this place of infinite blue clarity where cape-men swim around in, like, enhanced scuba soots or whatever. Everyone now basically realizes the sea is a dark, threatening abyss much like 'outer space.' Just play up that angle.

It is also full of trash, poison and we are killing and/or eating everything in it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

We all know the best movie ever made would be a faithful recreation of the Herculoids the greatest cartoon of all time

Dude, I've been trying to find this cartoon for weeks but couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Bless you.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HIJK posted:

I am looking forward to Justice League. I am also looking forward to a great deal of handwringing about how Zack Snyder is the superhero anti-Christ and ruining All The Movies.

I saw how violently people rejected BvS and knew I had to see it on the big screen. Also, Man of Steel was good and pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Clark would not be capable of being Superman with Lois' continual influence on him. I thought the movie made that abundantly clear.

• Locked thread