Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The wizard is Shazam, the superhero is Shazam's Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's not just a 'lack of snark' issue imo, MoS has to be grimdark because it doesn't fit the pop culture image of Superman being the guy who saves everyone forever always even to the point of turning back time by spinning the Earth back real fast. People are cool with consequences in general but the Avengers don't have the mythos of Superman so a Superman succeeding but with consequences gets judged more harshly.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bob Quixote posted:

You can have Gimli and Legolas cracking jokes with one another as they murder their way through shitloads of orcs in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the film isn't framed in such a way to show them as monstrous sociopaths so we just kind of accept it. I'm not really sure what it is about superhero media that makes this relatively common thing seem so egregious to people.

I don't think the snarky action cliche is egregious by itself so much as the idea in superhero fandom that it's the default way to do superhero movies and a movie that eschews it is a grimdark failure. It feels like part of a larger trend of modern American pop culture where everything has to have layers of humor or irony to protect us from letting a piece of media invoke genuine emotion in its audience

(this is also probably a major reason I loved the newest Godzilla so much, it did such a fantastic job of evoking awe and powerlessness)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It did, but it's not a completely joyless experience. While most of the film is fairly dark and forbidding, they still managed to have a super fun, crowed pleasing monster rumble that completely makes the experience worth it.

MoS did this too, the monsters just weren't as big

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

If that was a fun fight to you, then more power to ya. It was just way to stressful for me. It also gave me a headache. I wanted to leave.

Yeah, that's fair. From my point of view it's kinda tough to see one of those fights as much more 'fun' or 'stressful' than the other but it's not really likely that I could logically argue you out of a personal reaction like 'it gave me a headache' cause that'd put anyone off of a big loud movie scene

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

DC made the three best drat comic movies of all time. Then they made Man of Steel. They had the opportunity to scrap their official cinematic universe right then and there, but they didn't! They have moronically stuck with it, even though they know they can do better!

what's moronic about basing their cinematic universe off of a movie that was a financial success?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

It's moronic because time will make fools of the DC Cinematic Universe, not unlike Michael Bay's TMNT.
And as someone who enjoys DC, and knows that they can do better, I'm not exactly enthused about that.

micheal bay is actually a pretty great example of what i'm getting at; internet nerds and critics keep talking about how poo poo his transformers movies are and yet they keep getting made because movie studios aren't gonna care about that unless it starts affecting their earnings

MoS was a success in their eyes so there's no reason for them not to use it as a starting point for their movie line

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Luminous Obscurity posted:

really? I thought one of the reasons people were mad because clark was too girly and his fathers weren't wise and all-knowing enough

yeah, if anything mcu's never-failing ability to distance itself from pathos with jokes on jokes on jokes comes off as way more masculine than what we've seen from dc so far

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this seems like a weird pair of tweets to make before bvs is even out and we haven't yet seen where bats and supes relation to each other are at by the end of the film

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

At least the MCU incorporates women and minorities as main characters.
Where the hell is my Wonder Woman Movie? The DCU has the most iconic female lead of all time and instead of setting up a wannabe Justice League movie on the already dispelled premise of Batman fighting Superman, why not give us a Wonder Woman movie somewhere in that 3 year silence between MoS and now to bolster the whole Justice League premise?

I'm out to lunch, I'll be back to disappoint you later.

boy i have some good news for you; they're filming a wonder woman movie right now and it's gonna come out before marvel releases a woman-led film despite having like, 6 years of a head start

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

the attitude is not contained to just the comics hth

you can see it in the way wonder woman debuts

not in her own movie, not even in a major role in the story. she appears midfight in the movie headlined by two white dudes.

get over this DC IS SO MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE BUT ONLY IN THE MOVIES thing. they're both dickin it up.

oh word, you've already seen bvs and know how much of a role wonder woman plays?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no it wasn't, it was drawing on golden/silver age stuff super heavily and transplanting them into a modern/realistic setting

uhhhhh drawing on old comic stuff and transplanting them to a modern setting sounds exactly like being a direct response to modern comics

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

I'm back. Did the collective DC Cinematic Universe become better than Iron Man 2 since I was gone?

man of steel is a better movie than the movie so mediocre even marvel fans won't defend it, yes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

glad to know age of ultron is objectively just as good as ant-man and batman '89

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

They come closer to embracing the sense of fun than anything DC has ever made hth

brave and the bold motherfucker

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fine tag that isn't explicitly targeted at children onto the end of that

This is a recurring theme with DC ever since DKR

Which they're sucking off, again, with BvS, coincidentally

there's no such thing as a silver age comic that wasn't explicitly marketed towards children

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Go gently caress your self, you know exactly what I meant

no i don't, you said the mcu has been the closest thing to silver age fun and once i pointed out a counter example you suddenly added 'that's not for kids' which is absurd because fun and light-hearted is basically synonymous with kid-friendly

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Then might I encourage you to learn English and then read literally anything about the business strategy of DC since the mid 80s

what do the mid 80s have to do with the brave and the bold, a very silver age and fun thing that DC did?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of figure give her and them a year or two and have someone try to pitch a Mystique solo film to her. It would maybe make sense from the Fox side of things to try it. WB will have Wonder Woman, Marvel will be probably close to getting Capt. Marvel going. With the exception of Elektra, Fox wouldn't have a solo female-lead superhero flick despite having the rights to probably most number of the popular Marvel female characters. Mystique is maybe their most popular character who seems to have an arc and a gimmick that could lend itself to a few solo stories pretty easily that they could keep as close or as far from their main X-Men franchise as they wanted.

my one hope for the last wolverine movie is that it sets up or introduces x-23, it's a really obvious direction to go once jackman leaves

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

making an entire movie about Lego Batman seems like the definition of :regd08:

in what way?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

The whole lego thing has created several movies and like a billion games out of a dumb gimmick that was kind of amusing maybe one time.

yeah but what in particular makes lego batman a bridge too far? they're both hella popular media franchises who constantly churn out stuff to make money, there ain't nothing new or noteworthy here to get incensed over it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the ending of civil war was 'a cop and a fireman hold captain america back mid-brawl and it makes him realize fighting for what he believes in is bad', not much punch to rob there

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

in what ways did the film make you guys feel awful? it hit alot of emotions in me but 'awful' definitely wasn't on that list

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It made me feel hopeless. Hopeless about the world. Hopeless about my life (although, that's personal). Hopeless about heroes. I felt drained and just beaten after it. I know it boils down to Superman. I felt this exact same way coming out of Man of Steel. This Superman is just so off putting to me it bothers me.

that's interesting, i didn't find this superman all that less hope-inspiring than the average take on the character, especially with how blatant the jesus metaphors were

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.
And people who upvote star-ratings on IMDB years before the release of movies.

...but not even the 11,000 premature IMDB votes that placed BvS at 9.7 stars months ahead of its release could skew it hard enough to survive the harsh reality of its own awfulness.

There is no war between Marvel and DC studios. There is no throne. There is no scenario here where DC "wins".
When it comes down to making good movies, Marvel has no quarrel with DC. Just as a boot has no quarrel with an ant.

i'm so glad you and your crusade have returned

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I love watching mental breakdowns.

"If there's even a 1% chance that BvS is capable of reviewing badly on RottenTomatoes we must treat it as an absolute certainty." - Boob Marley, probably

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the netflix series being good so far is a point in favor of keeping them isolated from all the greater universe nonsense imo, i don't really want cool street-level heroics diluted by having them fight thanos' putty patrol

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd be amazed if over 40% of the people who watched age of ultron or civil war even knew what agents of shield was

edit: and that's just thinking about americans, lord only knows how few people in china or japan would know what the gently caress a terrigen mist is if agents of shield didn't air in their country

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 29, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mongol is just thanos who is just darkseid

i might be missing a character in that equation somewhere

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is true in the same sense that Deadpool is just Deathstroke

in the sense of being flippant for comedic purposes by pretending characters are just their inspiration? yes, i agree

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i still really don't understand 'batman shouldn't kill' as a criticism of bvs because between alfred trying to tell bruce he's going too far, the martha moment and bruce's conclusion at the end of the film bvs doesn't necessarily disagree with you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ultimate spider-man was the one book in that universe that never became a dumpster fire while i was still reading comics, they should use it as a source all they want imo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

ultimate spider-man was the one book in that universe that never became a dumpster fire while i was still reading comics, they should use it as a source all they want imo

addendum: they probably shouldn't crib from those issues where full adult wolverine and teenage peter parker switch bodies and wolverine has sex with teenage mary jane while pretending to be peter parker

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wasn't that character advancement, not the correction of a writing mistake? He murdered because that's how he was taught on ninja island, then learned better while working with people in not-Gotham.

yeah all of season 2 is basically about how this one time ollie decided killing a former ally and further feeding into the animosity between the two of them was better than saving him and how that comes back to bite him in the rear end 5 years later

it ruled and cw superhero shows have been downhill ever since

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

those weren't 'writer corrections', it was really obvious from the beginning that they were playing a long-form thing where ollie starts as some rando vigilante who can't be trusted but eventually becomes more important to the city and trusted as time goes on

a green arrow 'origin story', if you will

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

and i think you're giving them not enough! what i'm positing isn't that outlandish or ambitious for a superhero tv show's script, it's pretty stock and in-theme with the show being about ollie trying to find a balance between danger island survival mode and doing what's good for the city he cares about

(whether they kept being successful at working those themes during later seasons is a whole other conversation though)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also; the thing about 'writers corrections' being the impetuous force behind those changes in ollie's character leaves the implication of a world where there were actually a noticable amount of people going 'not MY green arrow' over ollie killing people in season 1

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't understand why so many people here condone murder. And that I'm considered the crazy one for not condoning murder. Murder is wrong. Giving Batman/Superman/Green Arrow a free pass to kill whoever they want is lunacy. What happens when they kill someone not-so-bad? Imagine the news headline tomorrow: MASKED VIGILANTE KILLS GANG OF SIX. You're totally cool with that?

[puts hand on your shoulder solemnly]

batman isn't a real person son

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Considering how effective drone strikes are, why not just make some bat drones and unleash them throughout the city to take out gang members with a gatling gun? Rubber bullets optional of course.

same reason he wouldn't be satisfied with just donating to anti-crime organizations or getting into politics to curb corruption ; bruce wayne loves to beat the poo poo out of criminals with his bare hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i have no problem with a no kill rule either set by bats himself or the real human beings actually writing the story(let me tell you about my favorite batman property, the brave and the bold) but i do have a problem with people who insist it's a necessary component for telling a worthwhile batman story

• Locked thread