Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there a new Daredevil Season 2 thread? I can't find it.
Nah I think the Netflix Marvel thread is the Daredevil Season 2 thread basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Sandman works so much better as a TV series than a movie anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd hate to see them try and pull off all the necessary effects to adapt the various storylines on a TV budget.
Yeah but TV has come a long way and I'm sure it would look good if they got a budget from a channel like HBO. There are a lot of standalone episodic issues in the Sandman that a movie couldn't do justice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I bet people said that about Lucifer too.
Yeah but I don't think people were really thinking that they were going to turn Lucifer into a cop procedural.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Obviously making Lucifer a police procedural was a misstep, but I'm also puzzled at making him super British, and I don't mean the actor portraying him having a British accent, he clarifies with someone who said "pants" that he meant trousers. He's supposed to have been in LA for 5 years when the show starts, I know several UK expats and they are never confused when I say "pants."
Yeah in the comics he was just David Bowie as the devil

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a cello shred.
I'm sure Trevor Dunn has done at some point when recording stuff with John Zorn

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I was so happy to see that in the trailer

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Evans changed his tun MONTHS ago and has repeatedly said he wants in for the long haul. The removal of Ike Perlmutter from Marvel Studios has made everyone happier to be involved.
Plus if they wanted to kill Cap they should save it for Infinity Wars to recreate one of the best scenes from The Infinity Gauntlet

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

micheal bay is actually a pretty great example of what i'm getting at; internet nerds and critics keep talking about how poo poo his transformers movies are and yet they keep getting made because movie studios aren't gonna care about that unless it starts affecting their earnings

MoS was a success in their eyes so there's no reason for them not to use it as a starting point for their movie line
yeah more nerds need to vote with their wallet and just not see the movies if they don't like the direction that they are taking. Hell I've haven't seen any DC beyond Batman Begins and never really had an interest to watch either.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

teagone posted:

This poo poo is hilarious. Marvel movies are basically the TGI Fridays/Applebees/Chili's of cinema. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I kind of want to find the reverse of that since I'm sure there is something just as dumb on the DC side as there is "smart" on the Marvel side.

Plus now it all makes sense why I like the MCU because I'm the person who actually likes going to Applebees

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

teagone posted:

I like Chili's chicken fingers every now and then because sometimes I wanna eat like a 10 year old.
Same, because there is no way to gently caress up making chicken strips unless you got a shadow committee telling you to change this or that every ten minutes or you have a chef who thinks cooking them for 4 hours is the proper way of doing things and is shocked to hear that he has to cut that down substantially

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Someone said Danny McBride.

I don't know who Lobo is, but I would care more about that movie if Danny McBride was in it. Kinda how I feel about most things.

I care very much that there's a new Alien movie on the way. But I care even more that Danny McBride is in it.
The best version of Lobo was from the DCAU where he was voiced by that guy from Everyone Loves Raymond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpFplmMcjOE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Detective Dog Dick posted:

ULTRON: Iron man you have poopy pants and I hate you.

“Is it perfect? It is not,” said Whedon. “Is it me? It's so baldly, nakedly me. To do something that is as personal as this movie is — on that budget, for a studio that needs a summer tentpole — is an extraordinary privilege.”
I should feel sorry for Joss after all the stress that it took to make the film, but then again a lot of it was self inflicted

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

I liked Ant-Man a lot, I'd like to see more Ant-Man.
Well he's showing up in Civil War and getting a sequel with Wasp, hopefully fighting MODOK and AIM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Renoistic posted:

And that's part of the reason why it's bad. Such a simple story the movie ended up having shouldn't take 2.5 - 3 hours to deliver.
Yeah if you were going to make a Justice League movie, I'd just go with how Justice League started, War of the Worlds and then all 7 of these heroes decide to work together and then eventually say "Hey we did good, let's make this a permanent thing"

Maybe the twist is that we've been watching the universe where the Justice League becomes the Justice Lords and 5 movies later we get the actual good universe Justice League to kick their asses.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Didn't see this posted but Kyle Kallagren posted a pretty great video on Superman that you guys would like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKYRZc9A1M

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yaws posted:

It's so loving stupid. Why would they charge at each other like it's a medieval battle? What would Hawkeye gain from running straight at Iron Man?
There is no honor at fighting at range, been that way since the Iliad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

teagone posted:

Braveheart. I loving love Braveheart. I don't now exactly how many times I've watched it, but I know it's for sure over 20. I still even have my Dual-VHS widescreen copy that I bought from my local Blockbuster with money I made from mowing lawns.
Me too, but it was mostly because it's one of my dad's favorite movies so he would keep the channel on whenever it played on TNT

A movie I watched on VHS wayyyyyy too many times was Twister

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I've never seen so much vested interest in watching a movie fail.
I don't know I've seen people want the Marvel movies to fail too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Don't forget this other Fox comic book sequel.

But The Lost World was already made into a movie almost 20 years ago? :confused:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think the mindset is 'if we get serious, Flash gets serious, and if Flash gets serious, we're all hosed.' So they keep it mellow.
That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.
The scene that really suspends my disbelief was future Hall of Famer Hines Ward out running an imploding football field

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

I am actually excited for it because out of all the things that sucked in the Hobbit movies, Smaug was not one of them. Cummberbund has a good grasp of the surreal.

Also can Purlmutter just loving go to hell and give me my Daredevil/Thor crossover please. What the gently caress is wrong with these companies that there's an ACTUAL RIVALRY between the tv and movie divisions?
:capitalism:

I remember something similar happening between Cartoon Network and DC which resulted in the whole DC Animation block dying a horrible death

There was a useful image to describe this, basically all the subcompanies pointing guns at each other despite being owned by one company

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

But if they brought the movies and tv shows together, they would make ALL THE MONEY.

gently caress that noise I guess. Who needs more profit anyway.
People's egos get involved too to make them lose sight of the bigger picture, who gets credit for making all that big money?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, and he complained about guests getting free food.

The guy thought he was on the inside track to taking over Disney, but Fiege has pretty much shut that down thanks to his power play. Now Ike is just a grumpy old man who is trying to make it so no other kids can play with his toys. Cutting off his nose to spite his face.
What is his background anyway before he got involved with Marvel?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Introduce a new black character, cripple an old one. Balance.
He's best friends with Tony Stark, I'm sure he can make an exosuit for him

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The eruption of Vesuvius was not the "end of a civilization" .
It was the end of a nice place to get a hooker :v:

Also you'd think the sinking of loving Atlantis would have a higher death count.

Having Apocalypse cause the Bronze Age Collapse is pretty great because that was legit something out of a post apocalyptic movie

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Defoe as Maxwell Lord. Come on do it. Do it.
No we have to wait for time travel technology so we can get circa 1980s Sam Neill to play Lord

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cross post from the BSS movie thread

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know when they'll upload the clip, but Double Toasted had C. Robert Cargil (Carlye, a regular on their Spill.com days) come on a do an interview about working on Marvel (he's writing Doctor Strange) and it's good.

https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman/the-sunday-service-4-17-16#t=1:38:35

Carlye was one of my favorites and I'm super happy for him. His book loving owns.
Man I miss Spill :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

RDJ has joined the cast of Spider-man Homecoming. He is absolutely going to bang Aunt May.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-downey-jr-joins-spider-885829
I hope this becomes almost like Batman Beyond with Tony being Spidey's mentor and an excuse for why Peter has to leave school/home all the time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Wasn't there a script for a GL movie in the 90s/00s that had Jack Black as the lead?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

To be fair it will have at least one Asian character: Wong, Dr. Strange's manservant who knows kung fu.
To be fair they will probably not make him Strange's manservant

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm just waiting for the MCU to introduce Amadeus Cho, the Asian American teenage superhero whose power is literally "really good at math".
And best friends with Hercules

That run rules so much

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

Probably your classmates like RDJ more than Iñarritu, the first one is Iron Man, the second one makes movies they, perhaps, don't care much about.
(I like RDJ, but his comments where like "ugh, no dude. no,stop" for me.)

Next time he should directly talk poo poo about the whole country, Trump style, and I bet you he would be the most hated American instantly.
Also because they like those movies and don't like the guy who says that movies they like are "cultural genoicde" which is just about as :smug: and stupid as what RDJ said

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Marky Marx posted:

Cause I like the idealized versions of them from the cartoons and some comics because I'm literally a manbaby. Get your grimdark out of my comic book movies and give me newspaper Spiderman the movie already. Can we not evoke 9/11 and terrorism in a movie I tend to watch to escape from an inherently evil world, not use it to be like "Hmm, Superman has a point here, terrorism and government control ARE important issues." I knew when i was five years old and watching Adam West and Christopher Reeves I was like drat, I hope I can watch these two titans duke it out in a movie and it has a congressional hearing and mass death and footage invocative of videos I will see online later when the internet exists where real people get shot in the head by terrorists.

Iunno I think comics should be fun I guess. People tend to linger on fun things more than depressing reflections of reality.

EDIT: If I wanted to see a superhero torture and kill their villains I would watch the Flash on CW tyvm.
Even the idealized versions of the heroes from the cartoons had some flaws that made them compelling

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Slugworth posted:

I legitimately believe the world is pretty great, so maybe that's why MoS failed to grab me (haven't seen BvS yet). It's a bummer you think the world is dour and oppressive :( :ohdear:
You are lucky to read the Climate Change thread in DnD, I did and have now become fully pessimistic of the survival of our species and the world

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Burkion posted:

Alan Moore has done some questionable things later in his life.

He's also earned that right by being one of the, if not the, best and most worthwhile comic book writer ever.

Don't let the easy jokes that can be made about him fool you. He's not Frank Millar.
Top 10 is pretty great

Moore also did this book where this superman analogue met the concept of imagination who was just the head of Jack Kirby

I prefer Neil Gaiman even though he can't really tell an ending and the artwork of later Sandman is pretty bad.

But drat it hob gadling and Fiddler's Green are two of my favorite characters in ficition

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

teagone posted:

There's a way around it. Have the climax be Thanos facing off against Cap wielding his shield and mjolnir, and have Thanos kill him.
God I hope so its one of the greatest scenes in comic book history where Cap stands up to Thanos and gets killed as Thanos destroys the shield

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It seems like Zack Snyder is a pretty big fan of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Incidentally, Ares is a playable character in that game. I would prefer Ares to Zeus, personally, as WW's dad. Otherwise it just feels like straight up female Hercules. However, I think there's a good chance that perhaps Wonder Woman will be told that she's the daughter of Zeus only to later learn she's actually the daughter of Ares, and that's what makes her different from her sisters.
This is just reminding me that Marvel hasn't gotten on the boat of getting Herc and Ares into the MCU and that makes me sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I kept seeing Drew Carey's Brother and it kinda took me out of it.
John Ennis being in it also threw me through a loop

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread