Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

I have it on good authority it's actually them.

Yeah, the BvS page is almost certainly run by a WB intern, but if any interns are running those actors' pages, it's interns hired by those actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

If David Bowie could get away with this then anything is possible

https://twitter.com/damomac/status/686919933884788736

I wonder why nobody ever tried to gently caress with him over this? If I was a cab driver and I picked up a seemingly Greek man who looked uncannily similar to David Bowie, I'd probably roll with the Greek thing for about five minutes and then put on Life on Mars? and watch his facial expression.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

So do the Guyver movies count for comic movies?

Because they're technically based on Japanese comics!

Those movies are rad as hell

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

What a loving loon.

I'm fairly sure that Strawberry Shortcake pitch is real, at the very least. It's definitely sounding very familiar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Preacher kind of does that. Bits of it, at least. The bits where Ennis actually picks consistent characterization over edgy stuff, so not a lot of bits if I'm honest. Maybe we'll get more of it in the show?

That's... actually most of the bits, though. The stuff like Herr Starr's head-scar making him look like a giant penis, Odin Quincannon's meat woman (tagging because we already know he's showing up in the show), and Jesus de Sade's existence is just more memorable.

I re-read it a while ago and I was actually kind of amused by how the arcs seem to follow a pattern of incredibly serious buildup to a goofy-as-gently caress climax.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Dude Garry Shandling is much bigger than loving Iron Man 2.

Obviously, but look at the thread title. IM2 and Winter Soldier are his relevance to the subject of comic book movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well that Luc Besson movie looks rad as gently caress

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

Spawn is a good movie.

You have to live the rest of your life knowing that I believe this and that I post on these forums.

The CGI is a huge black mark, but other than that it's a really fun movie that gets way too bad of a rap. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is :krad:.

(Seriously, the practical effects for Spawn himself are actually fantastic. They really should have just stuck to practical all through instead of doing that horrible CGI.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Spawn movie experience isn't authentic unless there are like three villains, and they all show up with little introduction and are unceremoniously dispatched. This entire process takes five minutes for each. The rest of the runtime is almost entirely skyline shots of Manhattan with brooding voiceover. Sam & Twitch or the Fitzgeralds are set up as supporting characters in the first 15 minutes and then disappear without a trace until the showdown.

e: villains are Overt-Kill, Cy-Gor and Curse, for maximum "inconsequential cyborg" content and hyphenation.

Man, this just makes me appreciate the HBO show even more, because the villains are actually consequential, and Sam and Twitch and the Fitzgeralds are all actually major characters in it.

(Sam and Twitch are loving awesome, by the way. Major highlight of both the comic and the HBO show.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Yep. He said a month or so back that Warner had secretly made plans to delay Justice League and fire Snyder because their projections were that BvS was going to bomb.

I mean, given the critical evaluation of it, this actually sounds 100% plausible? I remember hearing that, while crew screenings went well, test screenings to the public got mildly positive reactions at best.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Barring an unprecedented 2nd week drop off, BvS is going to do fine.

That doesn't make it any less likely that they were scared of the possibility of it bombing. It just worked out well for them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Semper Fudge posted:

Devin Faraci's brand seems to be an even more insufferable Film Critic Hulk. At least FCH doesn't name search or frequently tell his detractors to go kill themselves.

FCH and Faraci are pretty much polar opposites, to be honest. FCH is a nice dude with good opinions who just writes in a kinda-grating style. Faraci, meanwhile, writes in an easy-to-read style but frequently has horrible opinions and is a crappy little bullshit man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

People here hating on Spawn is ridiculous you know you loving loved that movie when you saw it in the theaters, don't be all " Oh I always thought it was poo poo".

Actually, a great many people thought it was poo poo to begin with. It was not exactly a favorably received movie. Hell, it's only recently that I've seen anyone reevaluate it.

e: which is sad, because it's like one of my only childhood movies that doesn't have much of a following. People love Aliens, people love Highlander, people love Robocop, people even love Mortal Kombat, but drat near nobody loves Spawn.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sentinel Red posted:

Nope, I hands on heart came out of the cinema thinking it was one of the poorest films I had seen in my life at that point. And time has not been any kinder to it. Like holy gently caress, just that opening setup bit alone was the closest I've come to walking out on a film, it was SO BAD. Fair play though, Leguizamo was delightful in it.

Leguizamo and Jai White pretty much carry that movie on their backs, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Is BvS going to be considered a failure?

If that info on it dropping that badly is accurate? Howard the Duck-level.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse: Death, Death, Death and Death.

You mean Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm pretty sure there's still a contingent here holding out unironic hope for Triple H for some role or other.

I unironically want Brian Cage as Cable and the guy who plays MY BROTHER THE MONSTER MATANZA CUETO as Bane :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Cage played He-man recently, check that out for his... um... acting ability.

That fan film is hilarious, and I'm pretty sure an actual director would be able to do better with him than a fan film director.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

John Hyams is currently doing Maniac Cop with Ed Brubaker and Nicholas Winding Refn and I don't want anything to pull any of them away from that, but yeah.

I completely forgot about this, has there been any news since the announcement?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agreed that not only one side should be subverted, but saying that a mystical orient character written during the days of Yellow Panic is a positive role that should be preserved is pretty questionable. They also made Baron Mordo Black, which he has never been in the source material, but was a good choice as well!

Pictured below: An Asian stereotype that should definitely be a source of pride in 2016.

You could, I dunno, redesign the character without making the character white

and I mean poo poo, even that look would probably work okay if it was Gordon Liu or another ex-Shaw Bros actor playing it, it's a pretty clear wuxia homage

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if Mads Mikkelsen isn't Dormammu I'm gonna be mildly annoyed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Then again they also recast the Yellow Peril character The Mandarin as Guy Pearce and R'as al Ghul (orginally born an Asian/Arabic nomad in the comics) as Liam Neeson.

No, they recast The Mandarin as Ben Kingsley, who is half-Indian.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

That seems kinda grimdark.

The part with Steve is very similar to how the Civil War comics ended.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Are you trolling, joking or just really dumb?

"Bite the motherfucker" is not exactly an advanced move that requires lots of planning.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crisco Kid posted:

Bitch, please. I admit I love Swinton, but that weaksause is so weak. Yeoh is a legend who comports herself like a Baroness and a powerhouse, and is an actual martial arts master. Lachman looks like a loving ethereal elf. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Yeoh hasn't been in anything English-language in a good long while afaik, and if you cast a Tibetan as a character resembling the Dalai Lama you are straight up not releasing the movie in China without cutting the role entirely. Chinese box office is important nowadays.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'm trying to forget Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny exists as well.

(She was in that and a bunch of other Netflix things in the last few years.)

I actually thought she wasn't in that, and completely forgot she was in Kung Fu Panda. :downs:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: possibly ill-advised, regardless of our communal dislike for Whedon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

She was just a major character in a hugely successful four part movie series.

Er... did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure you're talking about Effie from Hunger Games and (at least in the first two) she's pretty much a bit part.

(Which isn't to say Banks isn't doing fine, I just did a double-take at this particular statement. :shobon:)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Heigl is allegedly a terrible person to work with. Just do a search for "why no one wants to work with Katherine Heigl" hah.

The highlights, for anyone who doesn't want to do a search, are that she buries everything she works on, her mom/manager is hell to deal with and provides literally nothing except "the ability to use Katherine Heigl," it's impossible to even rely on her showing up to work (she left Grey's Anatomy by just no-call no-showing the filming dates with little warning), and she's apparently a crazy fundie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really hope the ending credit song for Age of Apocalypse is Walk Like An Egyptian.

only if we get Last Train Home for the next one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

That's like the dumbest bullshit I ever heard in my life. I know Tibet is a hot topic but if they cared like that then they wouldn't have set a third of Age of Ultron in Seoul. Basically all of China, South Korea and SE Asia TURNED THE gently caress OUT for The Dark Knight just for Chin Han (Singapore). If the movie is already a juggernaut like MCU flicks and has a star people in a part of the world are familiar with they'll show up. I can't believe that guy managed to do the "but but but CHINA" bullshit and "whelp better to have no Asian character at all" at the same time.

You do realize that Tibet is a really, really loving touchy subject for the Chinese government, right? He really didn't pull that out of his rear end. Seoul and Singapore are part of Asia, but they also aren't massive international clusterfucks that the PRC has a deep hand in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

I'm a broken human being but I didn't care for majority of the humor in Deadpool.

For comparisons sake, I also don't care for any of the comedy in Lord and Miller films.

It's a very similar style of humor between the two, so probably just not your bag, not indicative of you being a broken human being. You'd be a broken human being if you liked no comedy, or if you hated Lord/Miller stuff and Deadpool but loved Larry the Cable Guy or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know, generally unless the movie is named Godzilla or King Kong the titular character is usually expected to have quite a few lines if not the most since they are usually the main focus of the film.

Er... Drive? Mad Max Fury Road?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I haven't seen that since I was like six, is it actually any good? Paul W.S. Anderson making a stealth sequel to Blade Runner with Kurt Russell in it sounds like very much my poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

I haven't seen it in well over a decade, but I remember liking it. Then again, I also liked The Chronicles of Riddick, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Chronicles of Riddick owns, people just weren't quite ready for another ultra-sincere, goofy space opera right after the Star Wars prequels. Doesn't seem like any adjustment is necessary.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to point out this lovely little company called Games Workshop and their delightful assortment of miniature dolls.

They use the phrase "grim darkness" in their marketing slogan, which is what "grimdark" is specifically mocking. Not really a great example.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So is Luc Besson in good health? Valerian really has "last hurrah" vibes to it so far.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So Tony Stark and Captain America are also deranged? They kill a lot of people. That seems to go against your thesis.

The difference would seem to be the same as the difference between a soldier killing people and a random rear end in a top hat doing it.

In other words: Tony Stark, arguably, Captain America solidly no.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Also Marvel have been reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtaReY6WCVQ

Also, tangentially, What The-!? owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8E0dcj1RRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Na'at posted:

They're the wrong kind of Africans

drat it, if they hadn't already cast Ulysses Klaw, Ninja would have actually been really fun as him though.

• Locked thread