Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Wow that looks cool. But Flash is a bad show right.

It's been kind of a mess this season but is still mostly fun. The three main issues are that they are basically rehashing the main villain storyline form the first season, they are making the Flash more mopey (when first season he was super positive in direct contrast to Arrow) and they are cramming a lot of characters and storylines and spreading them thin. You still get talking Sharks and Gorillas, time travel, parallel Earths, cool speedster fights and all that other fun poo poo, but with some boring crap in between.

I've been a fan of the Flash since I was like 5 and found some of my cousins comics and then the original show came out like a year later, and I am also kind of a weepy man child in general. That being said, I don't think I have ever reacted like that. I think Smith might be borderline emotionally unstable at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Consequences are fine, plenty of people die in The Avengers. The grimness of Man of Steel is that Superman doesn't really enjoy his job of fighting aliens.

Fighting aliens who want to destroy all humans is depressing, Superman totally gets it. Tony Stark is a sociopath for cracking wise while "hundreds" of people die around him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Which is why I'd be cool with Superman and Spider-Man just moving past the roots in the comics of being journalists.

Ironically in a movie that many complained wasn't "hopeful" enough the most optimistic thing is the idea of journalistic integrity.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Corek posted:

Compilation of Zack Snyder's shifting explanations for why Superman killed Zod:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746

Lol none of those quotes are contradictory despite the lady who wrote it (who obviously really hates Man of Steel) repeatedly saying they are.

Also laughed at "Snyder said Superman might be pushed to murder if Lois is in danger and we see Lois in danger in the trailer so get ready for more Super Murder guys! You heard it here first!"

Pretty funny read, thanks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That was a legitimately bad change but not because it was different from the comics. People focused on the loss of squid instead of the fact that Manhattan-energy nuked Russia at the height of international tensions.

Didn't he bomb New York only or did they change it to make it several cities worldwide or something?

I was honestly more pissed that they moved John's line "nothing ever ends" to the end of the movie and making it hopeful instead of having it be a haunting message to Veidt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Still cannot get over "We need to be put in check, whatever form that takes I'm game (ignoring the fact that I refused to be put in check by my teamates when I created loving Ultron)".

But yayyyyyyy Spidey!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Which would be a fair point if Vision didn't exist.

If anything the roles should be reversed.

This but also Stark is still making broad, sweeping decisions that affect his team and the entire world without taking the opinions/arguments of his teammates into account. The fact that the two big decisions seem* opposite in many ways is important but seems to be overshadowing his domineering attitude. Like he hosed up big time with Ultron, and his takeaway from that was "I should do a 180 and go full speed ahead in the other direction". The same people who he was defending himself against for building Ultron are now expressing hesitance at his new plan but hey, Lord Stark has made his decision.

*Frankly I don't think there's an extreme difference in "I want to build an AI that can police the world and protect us" and "I want the government to police all the superheros to better protect us" anyway. It's the same exact controlling attitude but with a new idea of what will totally be the thing that works this time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really hope, and the trailers are making me feel like they are, that this fixes the major problem in the comic and makes both sides like viable options. Like Tony has a very valid point of "Yeah, so we should probably be regulated by a higher governing body and be held responsible to the major disasters like Ultron" and Steve's point of "Yeah but remember how we were all onboard with SHIELD and they turned out to be evil?".

The comic had a huge issue in making Tony look like Mega-Hitler and Steve look like a plucky underdog.

I'm not getting the same impression from the trailers but otherwise I agree with all of this. What I really hope is that there are more sympathetic voices on the registration side, because it is an idea that makes sense. Tony Stark is just not the right person to lead this charge either here or in the comics because it comes off super laughable and hypocritical. I was under the impression that Thunderbolt Ross isn't a super sympathetic in the comics either.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

idgi

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

You are right.
And the mysterious idiot who made that abomination of a table got the memo. Whoever he was...

I still don't get it. Is it a Marvel vs DC thing? Why leave off the Batman movies? Dark Knight would handily be first and Rises would be second (a little lower on his older table).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Only comparing the two big Cinematic Universes here.

Oh gotcha but it seems unfair that one of the two "big universes" is a single movie so far.

Skwirl posted:

That's likely the reason they got left off.

I actually do get it :ssh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Especially when one seems to be seriously sucking wind.

Again it's been one film. The weird thing is you could have waited a week and a half to see what the first actual "shared universe" DC film did, but you decided to prove your point now.

If you're concerned about them competing for your money and adoration, I can probably just tell you based on your posts which company it will be. No need to even run the numbers!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Is it alright if I appreciate Man Of Steel on a technical level/filmmaking level but never want to watch it because I just don't like Superman as a character?

Did you already consult Boob Marley's chart?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".

The superheros should be like "okay yeah we won't stop the next alien invasion then :jerkbag:" and walk out of the room.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Firefighters are all registered and regulated by the government. :v:

Yeah that's true, I thought of that. It still would be weird to show firefighters a bunch of footage of fires and be like "this is why you loose canons need government oversight".

HIJK posted:

I'd be okay with it if Infinity War started this way, with the American military totally helpless in the face of Thanos, asking the Avengers for help and getting "lol no way" and then having to work their way down a list trying to get supers to help them.

The entire movie is someone dedicated enough to wade through the bureaucracy to file all the paperwork and get the appropriate permits so that the Avengers can actually legally fight Thanos. The last 5 minutes is the Avengers finally beating and detaining him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Maybe... just maybe. Hear me out now. Maybe the Nolan films were proposed as a self-contained trilogy (likely by Nolan) and were never in the plans to kickstart a shared universe type thing.

Nolan also pitched Man of Steel, is executive producer for BvS and going to be acting in an advisory role for the DCCU moving forward.

Boob Marley posted:

That is the very point I've been trying to make. The chart compares Marvel's robust Cinematic Universe to DC's puny official Cinematic Universe composed of exactly 1 poopy movie. It doesn't include the Chris Nolan Universe just like it doesn't include the Marvel movies not part of its official Cinematic Universe (Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher).

Oh... uh...good point then?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It just seems really weird to bring it up now, when hype for the actual DCCU is building. Like, yes it is accurate that Marvel had a massive head start on the shared universe concept, and DC has been lagging way behind. And if you don't like MoS then it seems dumb to base the DCCU out of it. But in a week and a half the amount of films will double and then increase by 2 every year. Let's just see how it goes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What if I told you that all these films exist in the same universe.

The Tommy Westphall Universe

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

But so many cars.

$429 billion in damages. At least $400 billion was from car death.

I said come in! posted:

The Avengers can't be accurate because some of the most expensive real estate in the world was blown up, plus we see a clip of a newspaper that claims hundreds died in the attack on New York City.

I swear they are terrified of getting the same criticism as MoS and have been trying to minimize it ever since. Even "hundreds" is a preposterous estimate, given what we see in the first 5 minutes after the portal opens and the Chitari are shooting exploding lasers at crowds of people, cars, and buildings.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wyoming posted:

Oh my god.

Is the Thunderbolts one of Image Comic teams from the 90s?

Woah, 612 civilians died??

That's like, 8 New York City buildings' worth!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

"Don't worry little buddy only 12 people died in all those explosions and collapsing buildings in Avengers" - Joss Whedon as he cradles your head in his lap, gently stroking your hair

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

It's also because no one saw it, and there's very little indication that any subsequent films are going to be anything like it. (Zach Snyder is basically determining the whole tone of this universe)

People (me) brought up the Nolan trilogy because it was conspicuously absent from Boob Marley's Rotten Tomatoes "Man of Steel Sucks" Chart. There's obviously plenty of crappy DC movies to dunk on.

Brother Entropy posted:

boy i have some good news for you; they're filming a wonder woman movie right now and it's gonna come out before marvel releases a woman-led film despite having like, 6 years of a head start

Yeah this to me is the most salient point. Props to Marvel for taking a risk in launching a shared universe full steam ahead. Even then they scrapped the Hulk pretty quick and used Iron Man 2 as the bridge between the start of the MCU and their other movies. But it's been 8 years since they started the MCU and it's going to be 2 more years until they have a movie with a woman's name in the title, and another year before an entirely woman-led film.

Equeen posted:

Electra?

Probably means Marvel as a film studio, not a Marvel comics property.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Marvel does have Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, though. Also Agents of SHIELD, which has a lot of strong female characters. Yeah, they're not blockbuster movies, but they're out there.

Yeah that's totally fair actually.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

They come closer to embracing the sense of fun than anything DC has ever made hth

lol I mean if your point is that 2 is closer to 1000 than 1 is then yeah I suppose.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

You created a hundred line spreadsheet to prove that your dislike of MoS was objectively correct. You're not in a great position to call people delusional here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Remember always that those who like a different tight suit punch man movie than the one you like are not only objectively incorrect, but they are fully aware of their objective incorrectness, and they are hard at work at all hours of the day to spin complex and knowingly deceitful tales about why the wrong tight suit punch man movie is better than the right tight suit punch man movie, because they __________________

This is like the most bizarre current CD meme to me, and it doesn't just happen with superheros, I've seen it happen recently in the Ghostbusters and especially the Star Wars* thread. The idea that people don't just have bad taste or are dumb but actually know that they are objectively wrong and are just scrambling desperately to not lose face.

*honestly I think it originated with the prequel discussion since there are people who just cannot believe that anyone can like any aspect of the prequels, even on a moderate "credit where credit's due" level

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm fine with all further MCU and DCEU movies being garbage, with the exception of The Flash, which had better be good or I'm gonna cry.

We're the same person apparently

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tezzor posted:

It's not that complicated to understand why people think you're lying. It's first, obviously, because the movies CD feels the most compelled to defend - the prequels, Transformers, Man of Steel, etc - are, among the fanbase outside of this forum, generally considered among to be failed, embarrassing, bottom-tier trash for idiots. Of course, this isn't the whole story. There's also standard goon contrarianism; annoying when pro-Trump, baffling when pro-prequel. But really the main issue is how they defend these films that leads many to assume they're simply lying, either to themselves or others. If someone defends an Adam Sandler film by saying "I know Adam Sandler films are dumb but I like fart jokes even if I know they're not exactly high art" that's a comprehensible defense. When someone says "I like Adam Sandler movies because the man is a secret genius exploring the Jungian archetype of The Fool" then it's hard to not assume that the person is pulling your leg, and this is the standard type of the explanations for why these movies are actually good; not "I just like bright colors and explosions" but bloviating about vague and not-particularly-insightful notions of "artistry," overwrought and poorly-substantiated fan-theories and headcanons about secret depth and moral complexity, and, last, appeals to the sheer length of arguments rather than their points or value. I've read people refer positively to the 128-page rebuttal of The Phantom Menace review and the 30,000-word "Why The Transformers Films Are Good" character-vomit just because they are very long, as though their length meant anything in particular. I could, with no difficulty, dig up ten 300-page books that purport to rebut whatever your political and/or religious beliefs are. So it is not hard to see why people, when looking at both the quality of the subject of the defense and the quality of the defense itself, tend to find it easier to believe that people are deliberately lying or playing some kind of game, rather than these are really their sincere opinions. It is certainly easier and more comforting to believe than the alternative.

This is most assuredly not what I am talking about.

Not to say that those people don't exist, or that it hasn't happened on SA before, although it is not as laughably one sided as you claim (and I've never heard the "length = merit" argument here). What I am talking about is poo poo like spreadsheet guy's insistence that we know BvS will be bad but will be performing "mental gymnastics to convince [ourselves] that it is great" or similar happening for the Ghostbusters trailer, or anyone who doesn't say the prequels are rancid poo poo being treated like they are either autistic or a giant troll.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tezzor posted:

BvS could be not bad. I haven't seen it yet so I can't make a solid determination. I am guessing with relative certainty that it will be bad, based on the subject matter, tone, director, desperate me-too scrambling of the studio, and everything I've heard about the producers and creative process around Superman movies at DC. I can also guess with relative certainty that even if it is bad it will be defended here unless something in it vaguely offends somebody's politics or includes a woman who is good at several things.

It seems like you're moving the goal posts from "overwrought and poorly-substantiated fan-theories and headcanons about secret depth and moral complexity" alllllll the way to "people defending MoS/BvS when (I think) it is bad".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Who can't help but a crack a smile when the Foo Fighters are on?

That's Learn to Fly

Learning to Fly is Tom Petty

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If "flipping around on cable, oh poo poo Goodfellas/Back to the Future/Ghostbusters/etc is on" counts then I have seen a bunch of movies (or significant chunks of them) dozens to upwards of a hundred times each. But yeah I guess if you mean sitting down with the intent to watch a movie would be different.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He's probably talking about the type of critical acclaim that wins you Oscars, not a high Rotten Tomatoes rating. Her non-franchise movies don't have big box office numbers but unless she's getting a percentage of the gross that doesn't matter to her.

It's all speculation at this point but she is a working actress so if the price is right and her role is good my guess is she will continue taking roles offered to her. With X-Men since it is an ensemble film that means less screen-time and money to go around (plus sitting in makeup) so she might pass. It won't be out of some weird snobiness, she is an already wealthy and in-demand actress, she can pick and choose what she wants to do.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It's almost here! :D :D

Articles are coming out again on how Man of Steel destroyed Superman and the babies are crying in the comments on how "he killed!" "he let Pa Kent die!" "Pa Kent said kill children!!"

E:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...f/#449f8aac47d8

Haha jesus. I love that this guy brings up Kingdom Come, a story where Superman flies to the U.N. and almost kills a building full of powerless people (these were the people who nuked the superheros but also there were probably a ton of innocent interns and staff members who had nothing to do with that decision) for pure revenge. Also he doesn't stop on his own but has to be talked out of it by some preacher who gets teleported in. Coincidentally, this story was written by Mark Waid, the comic writer who whined the loudest about MoS.

This just proves that to these people (even a legendary writer like Waid) it's simply an on/off "did Superman kill: yes/no" question. He didn't kill in Kingdom Come even though he had the murder of hundreds of people including innocents in mind when he was going to demolish the U.N. building: the important takeaway is that he didn't end up going through with it. It doesn't matter that in MoS he had no choice but to kill Zod and it was a snap decision to save innocent lives that he immediately mourned: the takeaway is that Superman is a killer now.

It's one thing to just casually gloss over poo poo directly from the comics, it's another to evoke stories (even ones you wrote in Waid's case) while completely ignoring major scenes/themes from them. And then conversely blow poo poo way out of proportions from the movie.

Also the most hilariously hyperbolic quote from the article:

quote:

Were there some exceptions? Sure. Superman has been continuously published in the comics for over 75 years, and among the thousands of stories that hundreds of creators have told, a few are “off brand” or indulge the whims of folks who thought it was a good idea to “go there” just for the sake of being edgy and different. It’s the same kind of thinking that leads people to pitch stuff like “let’s tell the story of how Strawberry Shortcake got molested by her pervy uncle” or “how about having Scooby and the gang sent to a Turkish prison.” Missteps of that sort are perfectly predictable in an industry where professionals labor to make characters created for children relevant to an audience that is now mostly adults.

What a loving loon.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Welllll poo poo lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm fairly sure that Strawberry Shortcake pitch is real, at the very least. It's definitely sounding very familiar.

Whaaaaaaa :stare:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ant-Man has some really cool, really creative fight scenes where they use their powers against each other in fun ways. I love it. Like, the fight between Ant-Man and the Falcon is so loving boss.

It also ends with a divorced family treated as a normal thing, which is super rare in Hollywood movies. I liked that.

I was so disappointed with super hero movies last year (especially after how awesome 2014 was) that I skipped Ant-Man. I will have to watch it before Civil War, it is good to hear stuff like this!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Well now, Snyder's going on the record saying that TFA had more collateral damage than MoS.

I'm not sure if he knows what collateral damage really means; the stuff that happened in Episode VII was intentional.

Snyder's quote doesn't say collateral damage, just "death toll" (unless you mean the author of the article)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

BvS was absolutely loving amazing. I suggest you all go and see it and gently caress the haters

I was kinda bummed by all the naysaying but someone in (I think the BvS thread) posted a review that called the movie "operatic" and that got me excited again. Seeing it Saturday.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

Can someone explain the Black Widow standing on taxi cabs joke?

You can't beat the view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

They look like the costumes from the Lost in Space movie to me.

The suits are so generic "space suit/armor combo" that it is barely worth mentioning.

The effect of the slash through the title is considerably more damning imo, that seems like a really distinct design (although I'm sure it has some precedent elsewhere, but here it seems intentionally evocative of like a rocket parabola which is a neat bit of design in the original)

• Locked thread