Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dreylad posted:

So it's better than the comic version. Cool.

We won't know this until we hear Chris Evans talk about Myspace and NASCAR.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I would've preferred a 300 treatment of Sherman's March, but sure.

If you're going to 300 something, I suggest The Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Jackson, militia, freedmen, slaves and pirates vs. the thousand nations of the British Empire. And then it turned out it was just for bragging rights because the war had been over for two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

Allegedly Lockjaw has also been cast in GotG2 and there's leaked video.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

feedmyleg posted:

I can't even understand a business decision like fighting JGL on a Sandman project. Like, you have top tier talent writing and directing your project. You have the original creator on board. And you decide to gently caress with it just so you can... what? Neuter it and water it down so much that you'll just end up hiring Brett Ratner to direct and Luke Evans to star? Good work on building a franchise, you loving idiots.

It switched studios, so the guys at the new studio had to put their fingerprints all over it so they could take credit for the project if it succeeded. Taking credit for something you did nothing but gently caress up is far more important than not taking credit for something you barely even touched.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

It just struck me as a weird detail to include. Like, if they get a second season and one of the episodes revolves around a murder at the new Rams stadium is he going to walk around saying "Oh, you mean 'American Football,"?

How many people has he killed after giving him the biscuit he asked for?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't think I've ever heard a cello shred.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CelticPredator posted:

When you're pitching an idea, you usually use other films as a basis for understanding the rough tone their going for.

Instead of saying "It's a dark, psychological story" they say "It's like Seven" and your mind immediately understands what that means. But I don't think Civil War is going to be like Seven, at all. But I digress.

I don't know, Gweneth Paltrow is in both movies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

This was one of the things Kevin Feige has brought up when explaining why the MCU has done away with secret identities for the most part.

I like the idea of Clark being able to walk around on the street and live a fairly normal life just because nobody expects Superman to be standing in line at a Starbucks in warm up pants and a t-shirt. Not actively working to keep a secret identity, and everyone at The Planet pretty much knows, but Clark Kent is free to more or less live his life.

Like imagine if Obama actually just walked up to a hamburger joint without loads of Secret Service, no media, no assistants, and wearing some regular cloths. He gives the cashier the name Barry for his order. Everyone there would at best tell their friends about that guy who looked sort of like Obama they saw at lunch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I used Obama as an example because the general public associates him with a suit and tie look. A black guy who you think looks like Obama but without any sort of entourage and wearing normal, casual clothes is going to make you generally think it's just some guy who looks like him. Male actors aren't really a great comparison, but if famous actresses could get out without make-up they'd probably be a lot less likely to be recognized.

Like if you saw Kim Kardashian with no make-up, would you recognize her?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My only question is why do you have Rotten in green and Good in red? This is running counter to everything I learned in childhood games and in driving. I'm just rolling with Certified Fresh being gold instead of yellow. If you're going to quantify feelings please do so with proper color schemes.

Burkion posted:

The interesting thing is that they give away Tony is the one in the wrong during the trailer. Like they're trying to make it ambiguous but it's pretty obvious.

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

Stark is a bully in the eyes of Rogers and is treated as such by the narrative.

Tony is always wrong and Cap is always right. This is true throughout all the Marvel movies. Tony works to correct his and his families' mistakes while Cap works to correct the mistakes of others. The crux of the problem with the entire Civil War and Registration concepts is that in order to have Cap be against them they have to be wrong simply by nature of both his character and his place in the universe. This is even more true in the comics, though they certainly went out of their way to make the pro-registration side monsterous there, and were somehow surprised that the readership was not at all evenly divided but overwhelmingly on Cap's side.

Of course there's also the issue that historic precedent for the registration of people with the government is pretty solidly in the bad, bad things happening column. Additionally for the comics, Mutant Registration already set the tone for the registration of super powered individuals being super bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

berserker posted:

Not so sure about Stark's motivation but at the very least I kind of understand where Thunderbolt Ross is coming from when he says "the people are frightened". Considering not that many people actually died in the grand scheme of things, I think Ross is essentially saying that something needs to be done because the people want something to be done, even if they're somewhat wrong about their reasoning and are letting emotions sway their judgement.

Thunderbolt Ross only cares because those loving Avengers are palling around with the goddamn Hulk. He's a menace, drat it. He must be hunted down where ever he is and the Registration act not only helps track him but puts superhumans at Ross' command.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nah; the actually irresponsible thing is this "we designed it so that it's deliberately unclear who's right" deal - as if such obfuscation is a good thing.

No, you've got to bring the people in believing that their position is going to be fairly represented. That way when FDR Liberal Captain Union America wins they realize that they were wrong all along and greater conflict is avoided as their fight has already been won. Sort of like ancient Heroic Combat, but instead of two guys proxy fighting for two nations it's a movie proxy fighting for one nation.

ImpAtom posted:

You really can't do Civil War with "we're unclear who is right" because it's not really a morally grey situation, no matter how much they try to argue it is. That's the entire reason the comic version just keeps making Iron Man eviler and eviler because it's literally the only way to possibly cast moral ambiguity on the situation, and even then it's just "Well, Captain America is on the side NOT siding with Literal Nazis..."

Maybe I'll be shocked and they'll do a better job of presenting it in the film but what it looks like is the argument is basically "Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want without oversight" vs "But what about NAZIS and I want to make out with Bucky!" And if Iron Man is wrong it is because of Nazis and then everyone will Godwin's Law every argument because see, if we try to do anything but be completely unregulated than the Nazis will kill our families.

Nah, it's being presented by Thunderbolt Ross, and that guy is all kinds of bad even though he's totally not a Nazi. We'll have to wait and see what the movie outlines as the Registration side. However from what it looks like, Captain America goes anti-registration due to the actions of the pro-registration authority. If they must follow orders that they disagree with and use their abilities counter to their conscience, then they are under a moral imperative to resist those orders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurzon posted:

How can Aquaman breathe underwater when water does not contain enough oxygen to support mammalian physiology?

He's a magic man who walks along the sea floor shirtless without being crushed like a tin can by the pressure. Why do you assume he breaths oxygen?

I said come in! posted:

She is on the same level to me as Wolverine. I am just really tired of seeing these two X-Men, when that universe has so many more interesting mutants. First Class killing a few of them really pissed me off but I still like the two current X-Men movies a lot. Also Sophie Turner looks stupid and out of place in Apocalypse.

The human brain is incapable of being tired of Hugh Jackman, so I don't see how this post can be true.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

look at it, look at the lines, look at it and see the text behind it

this was printed in a magazine

someone chose that still image to serve as material to send to print media outlets as part of an advertising campaign

WHY?

Before I can answer these questions I need to be reminded, was it originally from Entertainment Weekly?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

It's a set photo so there's a million (higher res) copies all over the internet.

Still not ruling out the wizards at Entertainment Weekly here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bring back old gbs posted:

Ughhhh line the loving camera up with the floor/ wallllsssssssssss

Also please arrange the blue people so that color is more evenly distributed, perhaps making a triangle around Xavier. At least don't put bright blue and red Kurt out on the end.

oddium posted:

i don't know much about the comics so up until i saw the movie i was apparently confusing doomsday with darkseid

Well, don't beat yourself up [Batman v Superman]Darkseid is not only coming, since Nightmare Batman is actually an alternate future, but he got to Luthor at some point either before the movie or early into it. My reading is that a lot of Luthor's weird ticks and sort of insanity is due to meeting Darseid and being broken.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

It will be better received if the tone is at all like the trailers.

Either that or critics will mark it low because it "doesn't match the tone of BvS" (which they marked low because they didn't like the tone)

I'll need at least 20 articles about how GRIMDARK it is before I feel safe to see it opening day. At least 4 of them need to comment on how this is Not My Waller.

It's a given that all articles will talk about how much Joker sucks because it isn't Ledger Joker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CaptainYesterday posted:

If Gone Baby Gone and the Town are any indicator, this will put the "Detective" in Detective Comics. And it might get good reviews from critics, too!

Critics are still a superstitious and cowardly lot, so probably not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I too am glad that nebulous changes of an undefined nature are happening to a product that I have not seen. It totally vindicates my anger about a completely different movie. A serious tone in a movie about a literal suicide squad that includes a complete psychopath? Not on my watch!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

According to BvS, she left the world of men.

The Germans definitely took over Lesbos during WWII. Story doesn't check out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

According to the leaked emails Sony doesn't have merchandising rights so that might be what made them cancel everything.

Disney bought back Sony's percentage of the merchandising a few years ago, while I think giving up it's percentage from the Spider-Man movies. Marvel is currently strangling X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise since Fox gets a piece of the merchandise while Marvel gets a 5% or something like that from the movies. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Universal, who I think own solo movie rights to Hulk but not ensemble movie rights.

Meanwhile Marvel gets all the merchandising money from every Marvel movie, just as Time Warner gets all the merchandising money off DC movies. So even if the in house movies don't make as much at the box office, the company supplements it with money from the merchandising. If I remember that article posted a while back, between merchandising and product placement Batman vs Superman only had to make a couple hundred million domestic to be in the black without any foreign box office, rental, TV, or DVD/Blu Ray profit. Excluding "Hollywood Math" where the movie is a giant financial hole unless it makes all the money and not even financial tricks can keep the studio from having to pay taxes on the profits.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 3, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

I believe Universal only has distribution rights to any solo Hulk films. The Fox/Marvel merch deal is loving terrible. If memory serves Fox gets like 80% of anything film related and close to 50% of any FF and X toys because of some clause in the contracts that say the films bring heightened awareness to the properties.

I assume Fox are being colossal idiots and refusing to renegotiate the merchandising deal or any type of renegotiation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, I'd expect the Superman and Batman merchandising to cover the entire movie and marketing all on their own with money to spare. I think both of them together is over half a billion a year without movies and poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone. These DC movies are so loving dour and self-serious it borders on parody.

Steve2911 posted:

Daredevil series 1 does the 'reaction to destruction caused by heriocs' thing well while being both lighthearted and self serious at the same time.

I seriously have no idea what people are even talking about anymore with DC movies being totally dour and grimdark but Netflix Daredevil is lighthearted. Are we just randomly throwing out mood adjectives when talking about movies now?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I don't know if it's a testament to this gif or my stupidity that it took a few loops before I realized the addition to the airport run.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how disappointed Apocalypse was when Angel went and got silly face tats after becoming Archangel.

drat it, Warren! You're lucky Eric's got an extra helmet you can borrow. Fuckin' kids these days.

Brainiac Five posted:

There are no pale horses, because pale means sickly green in coloration in Revelation.

Like anyone's gonna believe your "textual sources" over Clint Eastwood.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've never really gotten why the character is a bow guy. Like, Katniss uses a bow because she could make it herself in a society where she couldn't buy a gun. She gains a skill operating as a poacher, which the state attempts to co-opt into mass entertainment, that she then reclaims as a symbolic representation of being an outlaw and rebel. With Hawkeye it feels like an affectation, like if Black Widow rode everywhere on one of those bicycles with the giant front wheel.

Because DC has an archer guy and there's no way in hell Marvel's gonna let them be the sole occupants of that niche.

I think Ultimate Hawkeye did use guns. But he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked and it's a mercy that the Ultimate Universe was canceled.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Personally, I'm hoping that the Batfleck film will be focused on detectiving. I need to see a cold opening where Matches Malone talks some info out of some guys, suddenly has his voice change to Batman's and then does a Mission Impossible style mask off to Batman in full cowl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack of Hearts posted:

"Hello Gambol goons! You two get to beat each other to death for the chance to join my prestigious organization."

"Uh, I mean, I'll beat my friend to death, sure, but I'd kinda rather flee this terrible town and go to Central City where everything is great because the Flash lives there."

Now that you mention it, Flash is objectively the best hero isn't he? Every other hero's city is getting wrecked every other week and is home to super criminals of horrific bent. Meanwhile, outside the occasional super intelligent gorilla, the most people have to worry about in Central City is some Adam West Batmanesque bank robbery.

No wonder he's got a museum in his honor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurzon posted:

The Flash can't survive being punched through a wall so destructive battles the likes of which Superman writers are so fond of can't be plausibly done in a Flash story.

He can, but he has the common decency to just accelerate his atoms to the point where he passes harmlessly through the wall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kurt, you're breaking my heart with that haircut. You're better than that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I can't decide if the incongruity of that voice with the design and actions of Ghost Rider is the result of the dumbest or most ingenious casting ever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Suicide Squad animated movie "Assault on Arkham"(prequel to the Arkahm games), has a lot of Batman in it. This movie at least seems partially inspired by it so I wouldnt be suprised if they incorporate Batman in a similar way.

Interactions between Bats and The Wall are usually pretty good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

Being true to the comic would be a pretty bad thing. If Cap dies though I hope they skip over Bucky and go straight to Captain Falcon.

The last scene will be of his coffin, then for a split second Vita-Rays will come off it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scyantific posted:

It was supposed to, but IIRC his contract and RDJ's got an extension for Infinity War.

Plus he's pushing pretty hard to stay on for the role.

Didn't the switch in control of Marvel Movies make a huge difference with a lot of the people who were talking about leaving, or was it just the dump trucks full of money?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hi liter posted:

Because Superman is a long running American icon with a history of financial success and significant cultural cache. It's like if a Peewee Herman haphazardly put together a film that outgrossed a Will Ferrell Christmas blockbuster.

Good news then, Batman vs Superman is beating Deadpool. Worldwide Deadpool total is $755,750,859 while Batman vs Superman is $783,485,542. Of course both of them are dogshit compared to Transformers 4, which earned $1,104,054,072 and is thus obviously the most superior movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

setafd posted:

maybe they can just leave Superman dead since people dislike him lmao

I like Supercavill.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In 2013 Batman toys made about $494 million and Superman toys made $277 million. Assuming Batman vs Superman toys make for 5% each of the annual Batman and Superman toys, that's and extra $38.5 million. And who knows how much Wonder Woman toys usually make annually, but there's no way they don't shoot up after the huge positive response to her in the movie.

Given the various non box office revenue streams, it's super highly unlikely that Batman vs Superman actually needed to make over $800 million box office to be profitable.

Edit: Assuming the studios only get 75% of domestic box office and 15% of international box office, just 2 weeks into it's release Warner Brothers has already gotten $300 million dollars off the movie with no other revenue streams. There's no doubt that Warner isn't making returns like Fox with Deadpool, but they're hardly going to be crying to their accountants.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 10, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

net cafe scandal posted:

God save your soul.

It's too late, I made a Faustian deal for cool Comic Book cartoon when I was just a wee lad. Being a child I of course knew nothing about deals with the devil or monkey paw wishes and so we got the 1994 Fantastic Four show.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is it just me or does the Batsuit look different from the one in BvS?

Also, weirdly, I'm kind of meh on that trailer despite really liking the last one.

There's two different batsuits in the trailer. One, hulking Batfleck, when he's on top of Joker's pink lambo and the other, sleek robin/batgirl maybe, apparently diving after Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

Something looked odd about Batman's face when it was visible, maybe the Joker wearing it?

If you're talking about diving Bat, not only is the outfit and cowl shiny and more plasticlike than the other batsuit, they also have a scuba/rebreather looking device in their mouth.

• Locked thread