Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Avengers hides consequences to the point where you don't even notice they're there, and it never weighs against the action as you're watching it because it's never shown. MoS shows, however briefly, people being lifted into the air by the gravity thing, people being crushed by the rubble, etc., as well as multiple soldiers being killed. Therefore, when something "cool" happens on screen, it's automatically weighted with "this might kill a civilian" in peoples' minds.

I don't think Avengers shows a single person being killed during the entire Chitauri battle. It's not even hinted to - when the aliens are on screen, they're aiming their weapons at cars, and when people are on screen, they're mostly being herded around by cops or rescued by Avengers. When the big city destruction building scenes happen, the streets are suspiciously empty. That makes it easier to focus on the "cool" things happening, as there's no counter-weight against it.

This mostly happens on a subconscious level with people, as they don't realize what is happening, so they leave MoS wondering why the action didn't seem as "fun" to them and think its a default negative against the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lucifer is British because U.S. audiences associate British accents with cool, intelligent, powerful, villains, and it works as shorthand for the character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

Please list the things about Man of Steel that you really enjoyed, and that are your basis for rating it as a good or even great movie.
I'll assume you're being genuine, so I'll bite.

It was shot better than any current superhero movie that is not Batman Begins, Dark Knight, or Dark Knight Rises on a technical level. The action was also dynamically directed in a way we hadn't really seen in superhero movies to that point, by mixing shooting styles from animation and foregoing slow motion, and instead focusing on quick brutality.

It had a lot of interesting cinematic language.

It subverted and embraced several things about Superman as a character, making it more interesting than the I-know-exactly-what-I-will-get origin stories of every other superhero movie.

Mind you, I didn't love it. I would say I found it interesting. But, since I don't find ANY Marvel movies interesting at this point, that's a good thing, as I prefer movies giving me things to think and discuss as opposed to being something I watch and forget as soon as I leave (note, I literally only remember a few things happening from Avengers 2, Ant Man, almost nothing from Iron Man 2, and only remember Avengers because it was shot and plotted so badly that it was fascinating).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

I see your point on the shooting being so good. I guess maybe it set the tone for my expectations in regards to character and theme though, and I was let down.

I don't speak cinematic language, but if you expound on that a bit I'll hear you out.

Well, for instance the sexually repressed society of Krypton having H.R. Giger phallic imagery everywhere. Those kind of visual markers make the Kryptonians "feel" like they're barely containing themselves, which makes it hit harder aesthetically when they're shown bursting around at super high speeds and exploding out of their eyeballs. It's like all of the repression is finally being released with every usage of their powers.

Compare that with Superman/2's cold, angular aesthetic in Krypton, and how much care and control is shown with their usage of powers (as well as Stamp Zod's arrogant coldness).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.

They're successful because they are using the Disney model of providing a formula that will appeal to the widest audience possible, and ensure that nobody "hates" it.

For another example, look at ultra successful movie Avatar, and look at the trail of online scripts by date that show Cameron starting with a deeper, more interesting movie, and then gradually trimming it down to be more and more formulaic as it got closer to the shooting script. Thus, its success.

There's a skill in wide appeal, hell, Hollywood's most popular periods are full of formulaic wide appeal things. However, when it comes to (subjective) artistic merit, generally things that are polarizing at first often have more than things that everyone likes. The polarization normally comes from defying expectations, and one individual embracing it, while another does not.

That's why Rotten Tomatoes is always a bad metric. Good/Bad consensus just means that nobody said something sucked or everyone did. Stuff in the 60s/50s is often the polarizing stuff that is sometimes more interesting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

I'm not being facetious when I say that this is blowing my goddamn mind.
I really want watch MoS again now to get in on this assessment with you.

As an aside, everyone, I just learned that your beloved BvS is now officially doomed - it's going up in theaters against My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.

MoS has a ton of visual details that align with the text on screen, and a lot of little imagery tricks that are constantly manipulating your emotions. Snyder actually draws and storyboards, so his imagery has a ton of "meaning" and thought behind why everything is exactly what it is.

Again, I think the movie is a bit disjointed and could be better in many places, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most visually interesting of the current superhero movies, if not the most. I always appreciate being able to look at things over and over and find new things to appreciate.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC has Catwoman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

He first saves people in grade school. Including his bully.

With this playing behind it, which is pretty much the opposite of dour in its structure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngKxF3Cqh4

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aces High posted:

I do this more with tv shows, or with film scores. Probably because listening to a score in the car is easier than trying to watch a movie while driving :v: but then I also tend to only really enjoy movies if I enjoy the score

Yeah, I've had the BvS score on repeat for days at this point.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I think this BvS spot is new. Stay tuned for the new scene at the very end, hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQQ-LMF-tY

Why do I laugh every time I see Batman get punked by Superman?

I love Wonder Woman's theme

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Avengers 2 isn't as bad as some people say on this forums (it's the internet message board effect, where everything is THE BEST or THE WORST ever), but the all CGI fight choreography, like Hulk vs Hulk Buster or Tony vs Ultron or Vision vs Ultron, is so much better than the live action choreography. The live actors are all directed in really weird ways. It is especially noticeable because of how good the choreography is in Ant-Man and Winter Solider. Or even just the CGI scene 20 minutes earlier in Ultron.

I don't really use hyperbole much, and Avengers 2 is at the bottom of my list of superhero films that have come out since, say, Green Lantern. I couldn't really find anything I'd say was "well done" about anything in the movie, and actual preferred the worse aspects of Avengers 1, as that at least became fascinating.

As a comparison, X-Men Last Stand, while directed like total poo poo, had an excellent, excellent score, 2 or 3 good scenes, and at least had a few excellent actors in there doing the best they could with the material.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The big problem I have with Ant Man is what it could have been.

You see Edgar Wright's hands all over the movie, and in the action sequences, but they're missing that extra layer of energy that he always brings into his direction. It's like you keep waiting for it to hit that rhythm and it never does - the whole movie just comes off as one giant tease to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gregday posted:

The worst thing a movie can do is not be bad, because that's kind of fun. It's to be boring. That is unforgivable.

This is my standpoint.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

There's a legitimately large chance of Disney/Marvel taking over how superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, summer blockbusters are created for a while. If alternatives don't succeed, there is a chance for a bit of a genre monopoly as people try to ape them or fail, which no movie fan should want.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

How many of those movies had a family holiday on Sunday?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

It's the weekend WB/DC chose. Why didn't they just go with a May release date?

Because they have a clean 6 weeks or so with no competition now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Christmas and Easter are a little different.

With Christmas you have a lot of early morning activities and dinner, with the ONLY thing open during the day being the movies, and it rotates through days.

Easter is a family and church afternoon day with almost everything still being open and it always being on a Sunday.

They're similar, but that would be a hard thing to compare.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

We're going to get Justice League 1 before these guys' solo movies right? I'd love for like 5 minute segments of like Batman and Wonder Woman trying to corner a skittish Flash to try to deliver an invitation.

Wonder Woman > Justice League > Flash > Aquaman > Shazaam > Justice League > Cyborg > Green Lantern

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last Stand is one of the best superhero scores, period, and First Class's, while repetitive, works wonders in the movie. Saying the Wolverine is the only good one is weird.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

The first and third acts are fine. The "Thor on Earth" stuff brings the movie to a screeching halt.

You're like the exact opposite of me. Female gaze buddy movie Thor was by far the most interesting part to me. I don't care/like the badly directed action at the end or the beginning outside some of the imagery.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fish out of water is a tried and true storytelling base just like Hero's Journey.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked that Hawkeye was basically Bullseye in the Ultimate universe, it was just surrounded by poo poo writing.

I also liked Bullseye in the Daredevil movie and thought that he + Kingpin were two of the most entertaining villains in Marvel movies that weren't Magneto.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

I liked TDKR but I thought the politics in it were muddled a bit and I couldn't get a bead on what Nolan was going for.

"Be careful in who you trust in as a leader, no matter what their stated cause."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nolan read every "important" Batman book, obviously, as all of the trilogy contain various aspects from those, put together.

For instance, DKR is a mix of Knightfall, No Man's Land, adds in some of the Bane/League connection from other books, etc. The combination of those things creates a different type of outcome at the end, yes, but you can clearly see they're created by someone that read and understood the material.

Nolan basically read the material and, unlike many people who read it and said, "this guy is awesome," he said, "this guy sucks and needs to grow up" and made his movies about that. People that read it as the former don't understand their "awesome" character being displayed as an ineffectual manchild, and hate the movie that stresses this the most.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sexually humiliated? Only if Luthor was played by R. Kelly, I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

only if we get Last Train Home for the next one

I was hoping for some Yes or Savage Garden personally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really? That's the first good thing I've heard about that movie.

30 Days of Night was okay, the problem is that it could have been GREAT.

The bulk of the story of isolation and a town that is gradually being picked off by predators is the middle section; as people are hiding and getting more and more desperate and other, hiding neighbors are killed, increasing their fear. That is probably the best use of the material.

The movie kind of glosses over this really quickly, focusing more on the initial attack and the climax. If it was weighted and paced to be a more oppressive, slow type of horror, it could have been fantastic. It was really a missed opportunity.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't understand how the airport scene is shot at all. There's no motion at all in the background and it looks entirely flat and isolated. Like, I just don't understand why these movies -have- to be shot like TV.

The highway scenes in Cap 2 looked decent -because- of motion and I didn't expect this movie to downgrade in its standout scenes.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 28, 2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently the airport scene is exciting and inventive, so I dunno what you're going on about

Not what I saw.

What is happening in the scene looks better than the average action scene in Avengers, slightly, because it's less floaty and cut better. The action beats are timed better, so that, when say, Spider-man grabs Cap with his webs, it immediately cuts to the next action of him pulling as opposed to holding on it for too long and making that action less visceral.

But the framing is dull, the use of depth and background is nonexistent, and the lighting is extremely flat. It's pretty much the same as the officially released Black Panther/Winter Soldier/Iron Man/etc. scene only with less movement, so it comes off as extremely dull when watching (to me).

So, in other words, it's not shot as good as a Spartacus action sequence, but a bit better than one in Arrow. And, my question was that i don't understand why this is the case in a movie of this magnitude that focuses on scenes like this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Danger posted:

Who in the world doesn't like the ending to The Motion Picture?

The ending is great but the part from the helicopter rescue to the ending is very...mixed quality.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Unkempt posted:

I have never seen 'grimdark' used positively by anyone.

All Star Batman and Robin was super grimdark and the better for it because it made it funnier.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's very obvious that Snyder's heart isn't in it, too. "Oh yeah the docks are abandoned!" *Superman rockets down from low earth orbit and spikes Doomsday into a field of fuel vats which all simultaneously explode, filling the screen with a massive conflagration* "I guess they just keep a lot of fuel down here because...ah...it's dangerous I guess? "

The docks thing seemed like it was purposeful and fit into the plot. I feel that this part has gone through a game of telephone on the Internet.

It was "Batman, why the gently caress did you lead Doomsday to the city?" "Abandoned warehouse district honest." Pretty much the same as, "rubber bullets, honest."

Doomsday falling was "thank god he landed somewhere that didn't kill a million people after we launched that nuke at him."

I didn't hear the "city was evacuated because everyone was off of work" part, though. I assumed that Doomsday's first AOE thing just killed thousands of people by default.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eh, as someone that works in a high story of an office building and is looking out right now, you mostly get a truncated viewpoint of random explosions and destruction around the city and wouldn't know if in or out would be the safer thing at the time (remember, the people on the streets were getting gravity slammed by the thing too). You'd be seeing some ground level explosions, and then some building destruction, all spread out, and have no idea what's happening. We have set evacuation drills and procedures NOW, but they were only instituted to this level post-911. There would be a ton of confusion as to procedure before "get the gently caress out" was ingrained in people's minds after the fact.

Bruce had an outside view and could see the destruction drawing closer to the building and could thus warn them exactly what to do from that perspective.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Transformers and MOS VISIBLY show people die. They are PG 13 so they don't DWELL on it, but when the World Engine hits, they make sure to show people die in explosions, or people lift up when the gravity engine hits. They show multiple people fail to survive when buildings topple over. The Disney movies go out of their way to show that people are NOT injured. In every similar scenes, there are no crowd extras around, period. It's scarily empty surroundings to the point in which it makes no sense, and is noticeable.

Not only does it take any "bite" out of any scenes due to a lack of stakes (which some people seem to prefer), it makes the sequences noticeably lovely looking because no movement in the background makes the foreground look hugely flat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Remember the Hulk/Hulkbuster fight where the two tumble down a completely straight, empty stretch in an otherwise crowded plaza?

No. I honestly forgot that entire movie immediately after seeing it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kurzon posted:

MCU Cap is far more powerful than comic Cap, who is just a peak human.

Peak human in Marvel/DC is pretty much how Cap is depicted in the movies, only faster. Batman and Cap, two "peak humans" in comics, aim dodge rooms of machine gun fire, clear out rooms of people faster than they can track, lift 2000 pounds as a workout, and punch through trees and punch steel doors off their hinges...and these are regular things.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I always think of peak human means different things in the case of Batman or Cap in that Batman is extremely well trained and conditioned and experienced a la peak as a 6'4" 240 lb 7% BF guy but Captain with the super soldier serum is literally every gold medal athlete in one person. Fast as Usain Bolt while as strong as that Mountain guy with the endurance of some world class Kenyan runner.

In theory, but in presentation, they're pretty much the same:

...it makes no sense, and it's just best to just say that "peak human" in comics means slightly superhuman.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Instead of planes hitting the WTC, it was Logan in a Fastball Special.

Maybe that's how they'll adapt Old Man Logan for the new Wolverine movie, instead of brainwashing him to kill the X-Men, they brainwash him to take down the World Trade Center.

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

First Class is basically the same 2 tracks over and over again - it's a few repeated (very good) motifs. I've found X-Men 3 to have a much more rewarding score experience as I get tired of X-Men theme/Magneto theme over and over by the end of First Class.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

She's really just trying to talk herself into being prominent in film and the added money/success/trajectory that comes with that. If I was mostly stuck in television, I'd probably try and do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He threw a Batarang at him, he knew his powers. He was just surprised by seeing his speed in person.

• Locked thread