Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

KiteAuraan posted:

So cheese, just without the minor amount of protein and the nice amount of calcium?

Cheese has a protein content comparable to meat and no starch at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doverhog
May 31, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm baffled that no one asked what this is yet?

Blood sausage with melty cheese, boiled egg.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mayonnaise confuses me. It's mostly used as a replacement for ketchup?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

He doesn't actually say what it is in the video. He does say that it will be his only meal for the day.

Would guess boiled potatoes with meat sauce, and some kind of casserole on top of that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I have no frame of reference for this thai spicy or indian spicy thing, but if I occasionally eat hot wings with naga jolokia sauce that burns if you get it on your skin, I assume it would be fine?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Knock hipsters and celebrity chefs all you want but they're a huge reason why food in the US is so much better than it was a couple decades ago, I think Korea is going to go the same direction.

The hipsters and celebrity chefs are not the moving force, they are a symptom of a civilization rising higher in the tech tree.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pan fried liver is really good, if you like a funky vaguely metallic taste.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sure, but I actually like them, so that would be counterproductive, and also a lot of extra work.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Zipperelli. posted:

Soaking something overnight is a lot of work? What?

It requires you to plan out your meal overnight, use dishes for milk soaking, buy milk, have extra milk left over, etc. My way, I just eat it and like it, no milk required.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Milk spoils, and I don't drink milk. Why do you want to waste food?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pan fry on cast iron skillet with a little pepper and salt. Don't hide it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

These all are ruined by the wheat bread. Also they are too wet. And too sweet.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It reminds me of Shub-Niggurath.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Avocado in porridge works great. Bland on bland.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Putting sugar in savory food is like putting fish sauce on dessert.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Who said they needed balancing?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

You put sugar in an Old Fashioned, but that sure as hell doesn't make it taste sweet.

Sure, but why would you ever get one instead of a Manhattan?

Haifisch posted:

"If your food is slightly oversalted, you can balance it out a bit with sugar."

"WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?"

Don't put in too much salt to begin with? Also, that wouldn't be a part of the recipe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Lots of recipes tell you to add salt to taste. It's also possible to cook things without strictly adhering to someone else's recipe, especially when adjusting seasonings to however you like it.

No poo poo you should avoid putting in too much salt, but adding sugar is a common tip for fixing slight oversalting(mostly in soups/stews/other stuff with a highly liquid component). And oversalting is going to happen every once in a while, unless you're some sort of wizard who always knows the exact breakpoint between the right amount of salt and too much.

Never use a recipe for stews or soups, and apparently am a salt wizard. Fortunate, as there is no sugar in my pantry.

However I'm not arguing that your nonna is a sugar monster, and actually thought this was the unpopular opinions thread when making the first fish sauce comparison post. :coolfish:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A lot of candy talk.
:goonsay:

I never eat candy, well except ammonium chloride and dark chocolate sometimes, much like I don't put sugar in coffee or chili. However, at a very young age my cousin fed me smoked fish heads, or the meaty parts like eyeballs anyway, and they were pretty good.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 15, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Take that vegetarians!

Suck it Jews! How you like that Muslims! To pick what you eat, such a religion of dumb babies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

bloom posted:

The only time in my life I've gotten properly hot food in a restaurant was in a pakistani place and I had to eat there 3 times before the owner believed I wanted "spicy" instead of "spicy for whitey".

I very rarely eat out, but one time a few years back in a basic Finnish restaurant I ordered a "chili burger" not really expecting much. It had like, pureed habanero as the sauce, and a whole one stuck on top as a garnish. There was some sweating involved but I finished it. It was a bit of a shock, and I always wondered if that's really the way they always make it and if it was a popular item.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ketchup is ok I guess if you get the kind that tastes more like vinegar than sugar, and put it on eggs or french fries. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It vaguely looks like giant blood cells, so quite tasty.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Please someone with too much time on their hands find the Great Infuriating Sausage Derail from the last thread and let us know if any of the participants are the same. Years later, and goons are still struggling with concept of sausage.

A sausage is a meat tube, it's Americans who struggle with that concept and call ground meat sausage for some reason.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A hamburger is a sandwich with a ground meat patty in it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a lot of hostility over a little lighthearted ribbing about a sandwich. :cheers:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

The trick with canned corned beef and/or corned beef hash is to not stop at the glop stage. Keep it cooking so some of the grease renders and it fries up and gets crispy on the bottom. Stir the delicious crunchy bits in a time or two so more gets to fry. Eat that poo poo on toasted rye with hot brown mustard.

Chop it up into cubes and cook on a frying pan, add tomato paste, chopped up habaneros. Make a kind of hot tomato sauce.

That's how I cook more or less any meat really, unless I'm baking it, but it works with canned meats too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ebola Roulette posted:

Nope salmonella can infect and grow in the inside of the egg before the shell forms.

It's actually common to get salmonellosis and not get symptoms. Just because you personally did not get sick doesn't mean there's no risk.

I've eaten raw egg bunch times when I was younger, usually cracked into a beer. Didn't get sick, from the egg anyway, that I could tell, but there was risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

dog nougat posted:

That sounds absolutely revolting. Beer + raw egg = :barf:

It was inspired by S2 of the Wire, the longshoremen did that on the show so I thought hell I'll try it. Only really makes sense if you are chugging a pint of beer with egg in it for breakfast.